DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minecraft

ValiantLovesWoT

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep digging down till you get to bedrock. About 60+ blocks, I think. Go op around 10 and you should get into a layer where the rarer ores occur more frequently. You can do it from just about bedrock level, but in my experience diamond/gold/etc doesn't get generated too frequently unless you go a bit higher.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Mining_Techniques#Branch_Mining

Lava should be everywhere if you go deep enough and branch out.

well it can be anywhere, even near the surface, but usually diamond is on the bottom 7-10 levels I think. Keep digging until you can't dig no more, then start branching out. Usually you should find a cavern with lava sometime soon.

I end up finding it by accident mostly.

Diamond ore is generally considered to be the most valuable and elusive block in the game. It can be found generally in a vein of 4 blocks, and you may often find lava in its proximity and vice versa. It shows up at elevations ranging from 1 to 19 blocks above the bottom of the map (for comparison, sea level is around 64 blocks above the bottom of the map). Below elevation 18, it occurs in roughly 0.08% of rock. This means that you must check 867 blocks below elevation 18 to have a 50% chance of finding at least one diamond ore. It can be mined for a diamond gem using an iron or diamond pickaxe. The diamond gems can be used right away in a Crafting Table to craft diamond tools, weapons and armor, which are currently the most durable in the game. These, along with coal, flint, Lapis Lazuli, and redstone ore, do not require any smelting and can be used immediately. You can also create diamond blocks by crafting nine diamond gems together in a 3x3 square using the workbench.

Mine craft wiki is your friend

I think im going to cry. I just mined 130 obsidian and I got stuck in-between some bedrock so I was mining my way out and some lava was behind a rock and I died. I just lost 130 OBSIDIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why cant you just not save and go back

Because that would make the soul crushing mistakes soul crushing...

I'm currently designing a map so to speak to play MP bow and arrow shootemup style. I've already got a chess board and a dig-pit game set up.

Dig pit is the stand in name, I have no idea if theres an official name. Basically you wall off an 8x8 bit of floor, dig out underneath it to make a survivable fall, and give each player a wood shovel. Last one on the platform wins, the aim is to dig out the dirt floor from under your opponent.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool new addition

Today Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson announced that wolves are being added to the game, and they look downright adorable. Check out a video of them below.

Here's what Notch wrote about the new creatures on his blog:

"Jens spent most of the week working on a new mob; the wolf! You can tame it and order it to follow you around, and it’ll work as a pet. They’re fairly rare, but they won’t despawn once you’ve tamed them."

A new animal that can double as a pet? I'm so looking forward to the Dances With Wolves parodies on YouTube. Until then, check out this early glimpse.

I finished my Skytrap finally. Let go of my pride and got the cobblestone I needed for the roof through INVedit. I still needed 3 inventories full, though.

2011-03-21_090652.jpg

The landing pad:

2011-03-21_083215.jpg

I got this much stuff after about 1 minute of changing from peaceful to normal:

2011-03-21_083507.jpg

These are the tools I've got from werewolves so far about 10 minutes on normal):

2011-03-21_091904.jpg

So after basking in my own magnificence for a while I decided that I wanted to build a sort of trap door that could be remotely opened/closed via switches.

To do this I built a chute below the central hole in the mob spawning chamber which channeled them into a bottleneck which ended in a set of iron doors.

Now I didn't know this before, but if you put 2 iron doors next to eachother and try to power them both with redstone then one of the doors will behave weirdly: one will open when charged, the other will close when charged. This made it more complicated.

Couple that with my realization that such a setup wouldn't allow ogres to fall through and that the addition of the chute made the drop short enough that it wouldn't kill werewolves made me scrap it and I've since demolished the whole addition.

You can just about make out how it used to look in the following pic:

2011-03-21_083156.jpg?t=1300713100

View of the side of the spawning chamber (its hollow underneath the trenches):

2011-03-21_092128.jpg

Roof (lit up to prevent spawns at night):

2011-03-21_092145.jpg

View of landing pad and base from above:

2011-03-21_092328.jpg

Interior trenches:

2011-03-21_092216.jpg

2011-03-21_084705.jpg

If I want max spawns to occur only in the spawning chamber, I'll need to dig down beneath the ocean and light up/fill in all the caverns... which is why you build it over the ocean in the first place - less ground to cover.

And I realise after writing that that building the whole thing under the ocean would've probably saved me a lot of hassle...

• Community Administrator

You could have saved your self on torches by farming Glow Stones in the nether, and build it out of that. :P

Also, with Dispencers, you don't realy have to worry about gravity not killing them, assuming you have enough arrows to make it useful...

IF you have a switch that triggers the drop, you can probably set up a 'kill box' at the bottom, that floods the room with dispencer filled fully auto arrows. killin em all. :P

Guest Exo-Mat

*Me: Hi everybody, my name's Exo-Mat, and I'm a lurker.

Everbody: Hi Exo-Mat!*

Anyway, yeah, I'm a lurker here, but I love WoT and I love Minecraft even more. I would be completely willing to host a Minecraft server if you guys are interested. We could even build a blocky Randland. It could be like our own version of TAR.

Of course i'm interested! I wouldn't mind a WoT theme server in the least.

Though, for purely building purposes, looking up how to actually go about installing 'mods' to the servers would be very useful.

I know theres mods for mass-edditing of land in-game, adding, removing, raising water levels, importing 'schemetics' directly into the game. (What that means is if you have a 3d.obj file, you can use a progrma to convert it into mine-craft blocks, and than save that as a schematic file to be used with a program like MCedit, to import that building/statue/ect directly into the game.

Meaning I could, render a building in 3d using say, Blender, 3ds Max, or even Google Sketchup, then put it directly into the game without wasting hours and hours on it. ;)

once you've played as many hours as I have (specailly online) going back to minecraft -original is excruicating. Specially on the scale of what i've built in the past. ;)

A couple of months ago I caved and bought Minecraft after friends wouldn't shut up about how great it is.

It's pretty cool. Played it for a week or two before I got burned out. My attention span is too short for massive building projects like Pseudonym's. :smile:

Also I have to play on Peaceful since normal is just too stressful. I can play horror games without batting an eyelash; Dead Space, Amnesia... but Minecraft on normal freaks me out. :sad:

If someone starts a server I'd be down, though. For some reason building gets old fast, but I can mine like a dwarf.

Also the wiki has a really handy chart showing where the best levels to mine for things are.

Can anyone help me? I bought and downloaded the Beta, but after the Mojang screen, it flashes black then closes... Any ideas??

Did you have a previous version? Download any mods with it?

if you have windows 7/vista open up the folder icon, and type %appdata% or go to start bar, click on run. Then type %appdata%

there should be a folder called .minecraft

open it, and delete the bin folder then start the minecraft application on the desktop as it will auto-download/install it over again.

The only time i've had that problem is when I've tried going from one texture pack to another (specifically HD texture packs as they don't work with mine even with the patcher for some reason..)

Archived