DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

December Sign In

U4ea

Happy December, everyone! This is my single favorite time of year, so I'll be pelting you with goodies all month! :D I can't help myself!

Let's start today off with a sign in!

The topic this month: What's your favorite part of December?

PLEASE REMEMBER TO POST ONLY ONCE IN THIS THREAD! the discussion for this month's topic is here!

My answer is simple and yet, so very complex.

I LOVE CHRISTMAS!

I love the lights. I love the smiles. I love the smell of home cookin' hanging in the air everywhere. I love the way people start thinking about other people, even if it's just "what do I get so and so for Christmas this year?" I love the presents glistening under the tree. I love the tree, all twinkling with lights and showcasing my favorite memories in the forms of ornaments. I love exploring what other cultures do to celebrate the holiday. I love, most of all, that everyone respects this time, even if they don't celebrate Christmas. Armies have an unspoken cease-fire (don't tell Washington that, or US history would be a TOTALLY different subject!), stores are closed, families are together...

It really is the most magical time of the year.

What's yours?

I'm here.

Think my favourite part would have to be the time spent with family. Everyone's at home, nobody's rushing off to work. We get to sit down all together and have a lovely family dinner which we've all had a hand in preparing and just enjoy each other's company. After the last couple of years that time seems even more precious where my parents are concerned. I adore the gift giving too. It's great fun to find that perfect gift for each friend or family member to let them know you're thinking about them and care.

Can't say I'm much into all the decorating lark any more but then I don't have young kids to consider and I usually spend the day at my Mum's or my sister's house. Doesn't seem much point to decorating here so it's usually minimal. Always enjoy the Watchnight Service on Christmas Eve at the Church of course and listening to all the Christmas Carols.

Um, Lor, can I just copy your answer. I could leave you the army part for you, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the rest of it. Don't get me wrong, I am really touched that the military reach out in that way to give the day a feel of peace even in war times, but since I'm Canadian I will let you have the comment about the American military, ok?

I love the warmth of people all over showing their good intentions and the kindness within them. I love the Christmas lights on all the houses and all the wintery looking decorations. Its the one time of winter that I find people accept that it is winter, cold and snowy, but people embrace it and enjoy it. I love how the whole community comes together with one feeling of peace, joy and kindness and you can see it shown not only in the smiles on the peoples faces, and the new found interaction, but it is shown physically in lights and decorations everywhere. I love the smells of Christmas, the cookies the fresh cut trees. I love the day of hell you spent fighting with the Christmas tree till you give up and call it beautiful even though its tilted slightly to the left and the lights are not drooping quite the right way and one side of the tree has more decorations than the other, but the angel is on top and the stockings are hung and the kids are asking every night if Santa is coming yet! And I love the look of the presents (even if its only one or two) under the tree waiting cheerily showing that there is something nice waiting there, hiding in plain sight, just waiting for you to reach out and open it to show you that someone wants to make you happy (and you get to show people the same thing when you get them gifts). If you try to overlook the little things you can have a wonderful, magical time with your family and friends that lasts more than just one day!

I'm here.

For me this time of year is a time for being together with my small family. We do sometimes visit the in-laws during the time between Dec. 24th and New Year, but this year I don't know if we will do that, because my husband is working every weekday between there.

I do like the wait from the first day of December, the anticipation the children have and the nice smells from what we call pepperkaker in Norway. Pepperkaker are almost like gingerbread. Some do use ginger in them, but I prefer using just syrup, flour, cinnamon, butter and a couple of other ingredients. There are recipes online for these pepperkaker.

I'm not here*w*

Can I just say diddo to everything Lor? Even the military*re* of all countrys that are out there protecting there poeple. I'd also like to say for myself that i enjoy december for reasons that have nothing to do with christian reasons or any male dominated orginized religion*lol*

I'm here!

My favorite part of December is that I get the week between xmas and new year off (and usually take the first week of january off too). In that time, I have a xmas tradition of watching the extended version of LoTR though this year I'll also be watching the Star Trek Voyager series again!! *dances*

Other than that, I've started cooking on a regular basis, so I'll be tinkering with a few recipes (no idea which ones yet though). And (hopefully) preparing the start of my umptieth attempt at weight watchers lol.

My favorite time in December is... My birthday!

And nothing Christmas-y is allowed in the house until after my birthday.

Other than that, Christmas eve is another favorite. We don't get our tree until Christmas eve. We pick out a tree and then go see the lights, then we come home and decorate the tree. The kids go to bed and me and hubby wrap presents, then have some wine and a bit of alone time.

It turns out to be a wonderful evening.

ALL OF IT!! From the first Sunday of Advent and the journey through this lovely season of preparation to the manger! The carols..traditonal and new, the making of cookies and candies and making them up in trays for freinds and neighbors, exfiguring out just the right gift that will let my friends know how sptecial and loved they are..then seeing thier faces! Getting presents! Going to Christmas Eve worship..and so many wonderful memories of a big and close family, sharing a meal and time together! Reminiscing about those who aren't there except in spirit.and the gift that they were in our lives! Spinich dip and shrimp pate, watchinng sven and ole get into thier socks christmas morning! Getting into my own Sock to see what Santa left!! The smell of fire in the fire place..and the lights! LOL Because of my astigmatism..they all turn into little dancing stars! Oh and so much more!

December is alright as months go, plenty of holiday stuff going on. But my favourite part is 31st December at midnight. Bringing in a new year and hopefully some new friends, new starts just new stuff in heneral :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived