DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones

Emperor

And, while I am complaining, the music was awfully generic

This is likel ydue to the fact that htey changed music composers like 6-8 weeks before airdate. So the guy had to work fast on the se first episodes. I think perhaps this will improve as the show progeresses and the composer has mroe time to work with.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And, while I am complaining, the music was awfully generic

This is likel ydue to the fact that htey changed music composers like 6-8 weeks before airdate. So the guy had to work fast on the se first episodes. I think perhaps this will improve as the show progeresses and the composer has mroe time to work with.

Possibly. What speaks against any greater improvments is that the producers might be reluctant to allow any major changes in the music in the middle of a season. That could come off as quite odd. But on the other hand, we are still very much in the build-up phase. Once we get more heavily into the story, there should be an opening for some changes.

At least there is no rock/metal, something that makes me cringe whenever I read about people "soundtrack" for WOT.

I thought the music had a nice beat and melody that got stuck in my head, nothing wrong with that in my opinion :D

I liked the music I heard so far in the first episode. Especially the opening theme. Simple, with not much other than a melody and drums, perhaps, but I think it fits 'period' well enough, and better reflects the world of aSoIaF than making say, a grandiose John Williams or Howard Shore score to it (not that those two have their moments). You wouldn't have a Wagnerian sized orchestra back in those times, so the theme fits well without being played by too many modern instruments, as well as weird period instruments (like krumhorns or sackbutts they tend to sound way out of tune lol). A nice low viol/cello line for the initial theme, echoing it with a violin(/viola?), as well as a nice dulcimer (I think?) part at the end of the opener theme echoing it. I wasn't really expecting the music to be an extraordinary orchestral masterpiece really, so I was pleasantly surprised that it worked well in my opinion.

And I think having the music be rather sparse in the episode worked well too; you didn't have too much when there was good dialogue and you could focus on that without distraction, and occasionally there would be a cool theme with more transition scenes, like the arrival of the king.

I finally got around to seeing the first episode, and I enjoyed it. I thought it stayed true to the spirit of the books enough, and a lot of the characters had some good moments. Bran was excellent in the first episode I thought, and while Arya and Jon didn't seem to have quite as much screen time as say Ned or Jaime and Cersei, I thought they did very well with the time they had. Jon has plenty of teen angst and rage :D

And I was also pleasantly surprised with Emilia Clarke's Daenarys as well as Hary Loyd's Viserys. Even though her character is very static moving around, and you don't see a lot of plain emotion read on her face, she shows a very strong character internally I thought. And I loved Viserys: much better than I expected, I think they really made an effort to flesh him out from the books.

Those were my thoughts anyway, hopefully not spoilerish. I look forward to watching the rest of the series.

• Community Administrator

Watched it, liked it.

However, I still don't know about the lannisters.

The Dwarf looks right (minus the eyes, but they may save the colors for close ups)

Jaime, i dunno, I always pictured him with a more angular face if that makes much sense.

Both jaime and his sister, I always pictured haveing a slightly different 'blonde' hair coloring.

Danerys(Sp always sucked at spelling her name) Her hair I was expecting more of a platinum blone like marylinn monroes, just felt off.

Her brother, I was expecting to look a little younger, did a great job at portraying his character.

I definitely enjoyed it, although I do agree that the gratuitous sex scenes were a tiny bit much; although kind of necessary for Tyrion's character development and for setting the scene for the Khal's wedding, it still ended up getting me into a little bit of trouble with my fiance for watching it lol (she literally came into the room right as Tyrion's first scene was on, damn awful timing lol). Overall I felt the production value was amazing, the casting was brilliant except for maaaaaaaaybe Catelyn Stark: I was never fond of her character in the books, but I feel like she makes the role seem too harsh, and she'll end up making the character look like a nagging housewife. Plus, I always imagined there being a big transition in how Cat looked after her family starts... (I should prob start using spoiler alert, if someone cares to show me hehe) having unfortunate things done to them. I feel like this Catelyn already looks too weathered and it wont be as noticable a difference when she does start losing loved ones.

All of the Lannisters are absolutely perfect. Tyrion has that sardonic sneer down pat I always pictured him with, offset by the noble look I've seen him adopt when his pride is questioned. Cersei seems absolutely devious, although maybe a little bit too cold in public, it seems in the book she's always painted as being extremely cold and calculating in private, but around many others she takes on the role of the charmer. Much of that might have been because it was still in Winterfell though, she most likely hated that place in the book. Jamie seemed solid for now, he definitely has the look and so far has that arrogant air about him, and I feel this actor will end up showing a great depth in the Kingslayer, a character the author seems to love almost more than any other.

The Targaryens were astounding in their debuts (the character's debuts I should say), Viserys seemed like he would be able to slip into the insane rage filled side of his character easily, and portrayed the bratty, bitter side very well. Danaerys almost seems a little too...innocent I suppose is the word? Kind of cherubic, I know she's supposed to be pretty but as of right now it seems hard to imagine her as the Mother of Dragons. The Dothraki... well they were going to be hard to portray anyways because its too easy to just imagine them as savages unless they're given a disproportionate amount of screen time, which they dont need to do. I didnt have as big a problem with the wedding itself like some others here, but I do agree that the Khal was too rough with Dany later on; the book did an excellent job creating the dichotomy between the warrior Drogo and the lover Drogo, something I feel was lost in that scene.

Dialogue was seamless, music I didnt really notice too much, so I cant really say I didnt like it, and it definitely ended on a perfect note. That's great news to hear about it already getting renewed; in the back of my head Im somewhat worried the tv series might end up having to wait for books to come out and circulate for a while before they film them into seasons. I know its a little early to be thinking about that but the way George RR is about taking his time with this series... I can't wait for next episode tho, and heres hoping the series gets big quickly so theres even more pressure on Red Eagle to start production on EotW!

I actually really enjoyed the Tyrion brothel scene. It was added but its what I like to call a necessary addition. A decent chunk of Tyrion and Jaime's relationship is done through exposition in the books- they don't interact all that much, what with the Whispering Wood happening when it did. The scene, in just a couple of minutes, really did a great job showing that they like each other. The Cersei and Tyrion relationship is better shown in the books so we don't necessarily need that as much as we did with Jaime and Tyrion.

I can't comment on future episodes but really I can not understand the complaint about the sex scenes. The very last one was DEFINITELY neccessary. Tyrion's was the only one added but everyone seems to agree it works. Now if Ned was banging his wife every other scene I think this would be an issue.

Hmmm... or are the people complaining those that haven't read the books.... that would make sense.

I really do not recall the music. I guess as you said it was played so lightly in the background I just ignored it. I will definitely pay attention when I rewatch it.

On the topic of "too much sex" in the show...

The pen is said to be mightier than the sword -- that is, unless the swords are wielded by fantasy television fans. At least, that's what the New York Times' Ginia Bellafonte found out.

Last week, the Times published its official “Game of Thrones” review, written by Bellafonte.

In it, she is critical of HBO’s overproduction, with sex “tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise.”

“Game of Thrones,” she writes, “is boy fiction patronizingly turned out to reach the population’s other half,” concluding “if you are not averse to the Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic, the series might be worth the effort.”

It’s no surprise, then, that Bellafante has been bombarded with hate mail from “Thrones.”

“Over the past few days I have received hundreds of e-mails and reviewed countless tweets taking issue with my review,” Bellafante wrote in a blog post. “When I say ‘taking issue,’ I am speaking euphemistically. Most respondents were horrified or furious or both. … The e-mailers have written long and impassioned defenses of the books by George R.R. Martin, on which the series is based, and of the fantasy genre in general. But they have also sent long and vitriolic attacks claiming that, in my negativity, I made it clear that I had no idea what I was talking about.”

Bellafante, who said she received a grand total of three emails agreeing with her review, added: “I appreciate the economy of those readers who began and ended their comments: ‘You are a complete idiot.’”

The show’s rabid superfans may have the last laugh: “Game of Thrones” has already been picked up by HBO for a second season.

So ladies... obviously you all hate fantasy unless there is a picture of a half naked Fabio on the cover! :P

At least there is no rock/metal, something that makes me cringe whenever I read about people "soundtrack" for WOT.

:baalzamon:

whats wrong with having Rand & Co singing "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" by Queen before & after the Last Battle

or Ishy singing "Everyone wants to rule the world" by Tears for Fear in the DF meeting by with Bors in tGH

or Lanfear singing "Barbie Girl" by Aqua at any point in the series

or "man in the Box" by Alice in Chains while Rand is in the box & "Bodies" by Drowning Pool playing in the background when Rand busts out of the box and starts layign the beat down.

those all fit perfectly with the scene and/or characters :baalzamon: especially the Barbie Girl one *snickers*

I actually really enjoyed the Tyrion brothel scene. It was added but its what I like to call a necessary addition. A decent chunk of Tyrion and Jaime's relationship is done through exposition in the books- they don't interact all that much, what with the Whispering Wood happening when it did. The scene, in just a couple of minutes, really did a great job showing that they like each other. The Cersei and Tyrion relationship is better shown in the books so we don't necessarily need that as much as we did with Jaime and Tyrion.

^^ couldn't agree with it more. not only what you said, but it also shows how Jamie indulges Tyrion. did you catch Cercei's nasty comment when she told Jamie to go find Tyrion; was absolutley perfect. i also agree that there will be plenty of time to show the hate/hate relationship between Tyrion and Cersei. especially in the 2nd season.

On the topic of "too much sex" in the show...

The pen is said to be mightier than the sword -- that is, unless the swords are wielded by fantasy television fans. At least, that's what the New York Times' Ginia Bellafonte found out.

Last week, the Times published its official “Game of Thrones” review, written by Bellafonte.

In it, she is critical of HBO’s overproduction, with sex “tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise.”

“Game of Thrones,” she writes, “is boy fiction patronizingly turned out to reach the population’s other half,” concluding “if you are not averse to the Dungeons & Dragons aesthetic, the series might be worth the effort.”

It’s no surprise, then, that Bellafante has been bombarded with hate mail from “Thrones.”

“Over the past few days I have received hundreds of e-mails and reviewed countless tweets taking issue with my review,” Bellafante wrote in a blog post. “When I say ‘taking issue,’ I am speaking euphemistically. Most respondents were horrified or furious or both. … The e-mailers have written long and impassioned defenses of the books by George R.R. Martin, on which the series is based, and of the fantasy genre in general. But they have also sent long and vitriolic attacks claiming that, in my negativity, I made it clear that I had no idea what I was talking about.”

Bellafante, who said she received a grand total of three emails agreeing with her review, added: “I appreciate the economy of those readers who began and ended their comments: ‘You are a complete idiot.’”

The show’s rabid superfans may have the last laugh: “Game of Thrones” has already been picked up by HBO for a second season.

So ladies... obviously you all hate fantasy unless there is a picture of a half naked Fabio on the cover! :P

maybe before she reviews a show based off a series she should read the series first. and honestly this bit:

"In it, she is critical of HBO’s overproduction, with sex “tossed in as a little something for the ladies, out of a justifiable fear, perhaps, that no woman alive would watch otherwise.”

made me itch to smack her with my copy of Ways of Kings. no woman would watch otherwise!! i'd liek to know what bit she's talking about that HBO "threw" in there for the ladies; becuase had she read the book she'd realize HBO didn't throw in anything that wasn't already there.

boy fiction?!?! are you serious?!?! yes becuase all political manuevering and throne successions are "boy fiction" right?? and just cause it midevil fantasy based does not make it a D&D aesthetic.

apparently this woman has not taste for books other than whats on the Oprah List, and might want to think about expanding her reading habits before she reviews another fantasy based series. god help her if she reviews the WoT without reading the source, cuase if she thinks "Thrones" fans are rabid, she hasn't seen anything yet.

News of which episode GRRM will write for the next season. Maybe not very surprising.

Via Variety George R.R. Martin has revealed what section of the second series he’ll be writing.

”... the novelist, who writes one teleplay per season, will pen the Battle of the Blackwater, a huge army/navy slugfest that takes up several chapters in the second book, “A Clash of Kings” (and could be, um, expensive).”

On top of that, the article mentions that executive producers and lead writers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have considered a season 3, and how to film it if it comes to it. It’s suggested that it’d have to be a long season… or maybe two seasons. Where to split it?

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/04/game-of-thrones-first-season-2-tidbit.html#ixzz1K4sBP1Ua

One scene that my girlfriend pointed out that has a problem is the last scene we have with Daenerys and Khal Drogo on their wedding night. In the books, Drogo seemed a lot gentler, and patiently waited for Daenerys to be turned on and say "yes". But in the show, he does have the "no" bit but it looks a lot worse as Daenerys submits still crying with a look of anguish on her face. She doesn't want to and she's still terrified, making this more clearly rape than in the books where it's gentler.

Isn't the whole point of Dany meeting Drogo is that he turns out to be a lot better than she expected? But if he basically rapes her right off the bat, how then is she supposed to genuinely like him in a realistic way? If she falls in love with him because of this wouldn't that make her seem a bit too whorish?

Anyway, we're a little worried about how that's going to play out. I think that maybe they wanted Drogo to seem worse initially and then gradually strengthen their relationship over time, but I think they're walking a fine line changing an otherwise rather touching wedding night scene, one of the first indications to Dany that things might turn out ok.

Still, I thought the first episode was good, stuck to the books for the most part considering everything they could have changed, and I'm looking forward to seeing the second one tonight to see how it goes.

I'm not sure what to think of the second episode.

The Good: The direwolves, Catelyn for the most part, Sansa/Arya dynamic, the action sequences we see, Tyrion, Jon

The Bad: WTF is up with that Cersei scene, in Bran's room? I'm not even sure what that's meant to do and it wasn't in the books. But that, really, is the only bad part of it.

So I guess I enjoyed it. Just felt they maybe tried to drum up too much sympathy for Cersei in that one.

So far I really think if you read the books, then the series could be called "boring". You already know whats going to happen, and they're still having to spend a lot of time setting up character development, planting seeds for plot points, etc. Plus as a whole aSoIaF isn't really action packed. I mean, the show will have plenty of battle scenes later I'm sure, but the books focused WAY more on politicking and intrigue and sex than blood and gore. Not saying they're not good (still on storm of swords, I liked them a lot more at the beginning, but still can't understand how people think they're better than the WOT books) but they don't really lend themselves to an action-packed series.

I thought the same thing about Dany and Drogo's first sex scene as well, that it was different in the books, and it is obviously; I think they're going to go in a different direction though than how it plays out in the books. Dany at first is only trying to lead whats left of her khalasar kinda because of her feelings for Drogo in the books, even though it's apparant that she's a very strong character. I never really thought she needed that motivation, maybe she never falls in love with Drogo but realizes that him staying alive ensures A. she can stay in power, something she seems destined for, and B. she doesn't want to be a khaleesi left behind at Vaes Dothrak. This would help develop her ambitious side more quickly and will help the audience sympathize with her even more, knowing she has to put up with basically being raped nightly. Of course this doesn't match too well with the scene where she's asking her handmaid to teach her how to please Drogo, but maybe she's doing this so she can manipulate him a little bit, or because she's still young and thinks if she pleases Drogo he won't be as harsh on her unmentionables.

As far as the Cersei scene in Bran's room, I think it had more to do with showing Cersei's capricious nature: not only is she attempting to make Catelyn believe she's on her side, but if the story is true then she was able to pretend like she cared about that child that died, when really she couldn't care less what happened to Robert's true son.

okay, so i enjoyed the 2nd episode as much as the first. the ffirst part of the episode i have to say i was getting rather mad. the attempt at sympathy with Cersi and the whole "my first child died, he looked like Robert" yadda yadda yadda LIE was disgusting. she aborted that child because she couldn't sand a child of Roberts to mutilate her body *kicks the script writers* that woman diserves no sympathy, shes a coniving scheming nasty woman and diserves everythign she ends up getting plus more. i actually yelled out "WHAT" at my TV and had to rewind it to make sure i heard it right lmao

then there was the 2nd scene between Danny & Drogo. again WRONG!!! he didn't force her like that, nor did she ever feel demeaned enough to cry due to Drago.

my hackles are smoothed now with the Drogo/Danny relationship, now that their starting to follow the actual story line there. with the bed maid teaching Danny the ways of seduction. and i still say that peopel who haven't read the book will call it stockhome syndrom now.

the little boy who plays Joff is amazing!!! i tell you, they pegged his little nasty butt wonderfully. and i cried when Lady got killed. i had hoped that they would show Bran's dreams, but i think it's fine the way they did it. as we all know, there is a connection between the Starks and their wolves

again, i'm surprised at the pace their moving this series!! with Bran already waking up and Cat heading off to Kings Landing; this is what, like the half way point in the book?? still, they've left little out in terms of actual content and have stayed 90% true to the book which is outstanding. all i'm afriad of is that we're only gonna get 4 or 5 more episodes max before they hit the actual ending of the book.

I'm still loving the series, even with the little things they've left out or changed. I hate Cersei and Joff both, and I teared up when Lady died too. Next week's episode will be very interesting, I think.

I've never read the series. It's on my list, but not until the final book is formally announced. I'm hoping I get to it before I'm old and disinterested in fantasy, hehe.

LOVED the show. Both epis were fantastic to me. I'm loving it and can't wait until next Sunday. It's a little confusing for me, but I'm piecing things together little by little. I like that part of it.

well if your really confused aout any one part Verb, you can always ask and one of use whose read the book and has more back story can answer it for you if you want :happy:

just out of curiosity, what part are you confused about??

Here are recaps for the next few weeks.

Episode #3: “Lord Snow” Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 1 - Arriving at King’s Landing after his long journey, Ned (Sean Bean) is shocked to learn of the Crown’s profligacy from his new advisors. At Castle Black, Jon Snow (Kit Harington) impresses Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) at the expense of greener recruits. Suspicious that the Lannisters had a hand in Bran’s fall, Catelyn (Michelle Fairey) covertly follows her husband to King’s Landing, where she is intercepted by Petyr Baelish (Aidan Gillen), aka “Littlefinger,” a shrewd longtime ally and brothel owner. Cersei (Lena Headey) and Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) ponder the implications of Bran’s (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) recovery; Arya (Maisie Williams) studies swordsmanship. On the road to Vaes Dothrak, Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) finds herself at odds with Viserys (Harry Lloyd). Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Brian Kirk.

Episode #4: “Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things” Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 8 - Ned looks to a book for clues to the death of his predecessor, and uncovers one of King Robert’s (Mark Addy) bastards. Robert and his guests witness a tournament honoring Ned. Jon takes measures to protect Samwell (John Bradley) from further abuse at Castle Black; a frustrated Viserys clashes with Daenerys in Vaes Dothrak; Sansa (Sophie Turner) imagines her future as a queen, while Arya envisions a far different future. Catelyn rallies her husband’s allies to make a point, while Tyrion finds himself caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Written by Bryan Cogman; directed by Brian Kirk.

Episode #5: “The Wolf and the Lion” Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 15 - Incensed over news of Daenerys’ alliance with the Dothrakis, Robert orders a preemptive strike on the Targaryens that drives a wedge in his relationship with Ned. A captive Tyrion helps Catelyn, but receives a cold reception at the Eyrie from her sister, John Arryn’s widow Lysa (Kate Dickie). Sansa is charmed by the dashing Ser Loras Tyrell (Finn Jones), aka the Knight of Flowers. Arya overhears a plot against her father. Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Brian Kirk.

Episode #6: “A Golden Crown” Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 22 - Reinstated as the Hand, Ned sits for the King while Robert is on a hunt, and issues a decree that could have long-term consequences throughout the Seven Kingdoms. At the Eyrie, Tyrion confesses to his “crimes,” and demands that Lysa give him a trial by combat. Joffrey (Jack Gleeson) apologizes to Sansa; Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo (Jason Mamoa). Written by Jane Espenson and David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Daniel Minahan.

Episode #7: “You Win or You Die” Debut: SUNDAY, MAY 29 - Explaining that the future of the Lannisters is at stake, Tywin (Charles Dance) presses Jaime to “be the man you were meant to be” as they prepare for battle. Ned confronts Cersei about the secrets that killed Jon Arryn. With the fate of the missing Benjen (Joseph Mawle) very much on his mind, Jon Snow takes his Night’s Watch vows, though not with the assignment he coveted. After Ser Jorah (Iain Glenn) saves Daenerys from treachery, an enraged Drogo vows to lead the Dothraki where they’ve never gone before. An injured Robert takes pains to ensure an orderly transition at King’s Landing. Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Daniel Minahan.

The second installment of Game of Thrones on Sunday matched last week’s series premiere, pulling in 2.2 million viewers at 9 p.m. Additionally, the 11 p.m. repeat averaged 732,000 viewers.

HBO has already picked up the fantasy epic for a second season. And the premiere episode has pulled in nearly 7 million viewers so far with linear plays, DVR and HBO On Demand.

thanks Emp. i was off by a guess on when Tyrion would meet up with Bron then. i thought it would happen next episode.

btw, the title for episode 6, you can tell just by that what is goign to be the major focus *grins* atleast if you've read the book. one of my personal fav parts too, can't wait to see it in live action. i honestly didnt expect them to stretch out everything they did in Epi 3.

do you think in Epi 3 this will be where the wildings attempt to kill Bran and the one gets taken hostage? as well as the swamp children "frog eaters" come into play? or are the "Frog Eaters" in book 2 once the North declares war?

btw, just from the outline you listed Emp, they're really following the book. it's been about 90% accurate so far, and given that outline it looks to stay that course. so i'm guessing theres abotu 10 apisodes all together for this season then?? by episode 7 they're pretty much at the 3/4ths mark or more

tbh, i'm anxious to see #10!!! i can't wait to see the end of the last chappy on the screen *bounces excitedly*

hehehe "pointy end" i giggled like heck when John said 1st lesson, stick em with the pointy end. one of my fav quotes out of the series :laugh:

Archived