DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is there one Character that everybody can agree that they like?

Doselan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The rose petal floats on water,

the kingfisher flashes above the pond.

Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

"The fact that the price must be paid is proof that it is worth paying."

"My humility is honed to razor sharpness. You never let it grow too dull."

An Aes Sedai, if she really was one, and a Cairhienin? There could be no worse combination.

"He was better. But he thought I was finished, with only one arm. He never understood. You surrender after you’re dead."

"Death comes sooner or later to everyone unless they serve the Dark One, and only fools are willing to pay that price."

"Never watch a death you don't have to."

"You can never know everything, and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyways."

"All men dream. But I know dreams for dreams. This is reality."

"We are alike in many ways, you and I. There is a darkness in us. Darkness, pain, death. They radiate from us. If ever you love a woman, Rand, leave her and let her find another. It will be the best gift you can give her."

"In war, you say a prayer for your dead and ride on, because there is always another fight over the next horizon."

"You have made a place in my heart where I thought there was no room for anything else. You have made flowers grow where I cultivated dust and stones. Remember this, on this journey you insist on making. If you die, I will not survive you long."

"I will make you a gift and you will take it if I have to chain it around your neck."

"I will hate the man you choose because he is not me, and love him if he makes you smile."

"A wolfhound must be a wolfhound in the wolf's eyes even more than in his own, if he is to survive."

"The Bridge of Flowers.  And now we are in the Perfumed Quarter.  The Illianers are a poetic people."

Seriously, how can anybody not like Lan?

Heh, the characters on the dark side are more interesting. I will give you that.

Doesn't everyone like Rand?

Hi

No not me. I never really liked him. I realize he was a teenager and didn't want to do anything

he was told to do but he always came off as a really spoiled brat to me!

My favs are:

Siaun(sp)

Moraine

Lan before he got with Nynaeve!

Loial

You almost need to list one character and have everyone say whether or not they like that character.

Interesting that many more male characters have been listed here than female....

Min is my favorite female character, I think.  maybe Verin after that.

Loial is definitely up there near the top of my "most likeable characters" list.  Mat is likeable, but not all the time.  I'm NEVER sick of Tam though.  This series needs more Tam.

Men dominate any most popular list anywhere.  Any profession that depends on people being likable (whether or not it is acting, governing, sales, etc..) is dominated by men.  Many don't notice this trend. Many see that as proof that men are nicer.  I see it as proof that our society hasn't fully outgrown its sexism against women. 

RJ agrees with my assessment IMO. He has deliberately structured a world that(while significantly less sexist then our own) skews toward the women for that reason. 

I suspect that there are no un-hated characters.  I have seen plenty of posts that disdain Mat, for instance. (I personally don't like Mat very much; 8 out of my top favorite WoT characters are probably women.)  Mat haters get shouted down much faster then Elayne haters but they definitely exist.

There are characters who haven't received any hate posts on internet forums, but that is only because they aren't important enough for people to care about.   

Mat haters get shouted down much faster then Elayne haters but they definitely exist.

What? Elayne is my least favorite character, ever. I've never been called out on it. I've seen Mat haters get smacked down, but never Elayne haters. Does anyone actually like Elayne enough to disagree with the haters?

Mat haters get shouted down much faster then Elayne haters but they definitely exist.

What? Elayne is my least favorite character, ever. I've never been called out on it. I've seen Mat haters get smacked down, but never Elayne haters. Does anyone actually like Elayne enough to disagree with the haters?

Yea Elayne is snobby and stuck up and needs to be pimp slapped

;D

Loial I guess.

Sure he's as pussy whipped as the rest of them, but that's just the way his society is. 

Perrin has no such excuses.

uhm its basically the same in the TR's, men are to respect women and basically do what they want in order to stop the badgering from the women to do what they want. remember when loial tells rand how ogier weddings work and rand said something to the effect that he thinks its the same way in the TR's

Birgitte. When is she NOT cool?

I agree! Birgitte is who I wish I were.

Can drink anyone under the table.

Badass with any weapon, unrivaled with a bow.

Commands respect from Elayne, even as her warder.

Womanly and sexy, even while badass.

I guess the answer is "no" not everyone can agree on one character that they all like.

I still haven't seen any hate for Tam yet though.  I don't understand why everyone likes Moiraine so much.  I don't hate her, but she certainly isn't the most likeable character for me.

I think Moiraine's a perfect case of absence making the heart grow fond, actually. As well as props for the major sacrifice she was willing to make to save Rand/the world.

Plenty of times she showed a singularly mercenary side - vanishing spy/servants, etc, and was just as economical with the truth as Caddy or any of them, until desperation changed her plan.

I do still think she's cool, by the way, but not without flaw.

Archived