DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is there one Character that everybody can agree that they like?

Doselan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, the characters on the dark side are more interesting. I will give you that.

Doesn't everyone like Rand?

I actually do like Rand, both in his succumbing to the dark side, and his reversal.  I sympathize with him too.  But he's pretty polarizing, seeing as how he's pretty bull-headed and won't listen to any advice anymore.  Likely to have changed after Veins of Gold, but we'll see soon, I suppose.

I think Loial is the only one of the main (if he can be called one of them) characters that I haven't seen any hate for. I've seen hate/dislike for Mat (especially from books 2-5), Bela, and any other popular characters.

I forgot to add Thom next to Loial. I haven't seen much hate for him either. I think I remember someone calling him a dirty old man once, but that might have been in a fun spirited manner.

I personalty LOVE Rand, and I'm glad others do too.

Rand is def my favorite, but that should be a given.  Sure there is a lot of stuff going on in the WOT series, but at the heart it is Rand's story.  Does he have short-commings?  Of course he does, all great characters that are well written do. 

Is he a total hard @ss by books 10+?  Yeah, but that's to be expected what with him dealing with insanity and about half the world trying to kill him and most of the other half hating/fearing him despite all he is doing to try and save them.  Post VOG Rand I am very looking forward to seeing.  Maybe we will get back some of the Rand of books 1-6.  And yeah he was really harsh especialy in tGS, but I for one loved him putting Cadsuane in her place the way he did.  She is little more than a bully in her tactics (though much of what she intends to accomplish is to the good).

So back to a character everyone can love (not including Rand who I think is given):

Moiraine

Bela... We all LOVE Bela, right? :D

Lmao.  Definitely!  

And yeah, I like Moriane too.  :)

To be perfectly honest, the only character I don't like from the books would be Elaida.  And that's mostly for the fact that she's a bloomin moron.  I get mad at the characters sometimes, and some of them I wouldn't wanna have tea with, but the baddies, I love how deliciously bad they are, and the goodies are just all around awesome in their own way. 

So yeah.  Pretty much everybody but Elaida, and perhaps that dude that posed as Elayne's guard, that was actually a DF, and the rumor got started that he was the father of her children... What was his name again? 

Universially loved characters:

Loial

Birgitte

Ingtar

Narshima

Damer

Tam

Abel Cauthon

Verin (post tGS, its pretty much consensus yeah?)

Hurin

I don't like Loial, he's too boring. I forget he's even in this series. I say kill him off.

I agree with Narishma, Tam, and Abel Cauthon, very likable.

I think everyone loves Mat.

I like most of the guys with Mat too.

Asmodean? - I always liked him.

Thom?

I can't think of a single Aes Sedai that is likable. Maybe Verin, but only her.

I don't like Moraine.

I like dead Aes Sedai...

Uno's pretty good. Rhuarc is too. Loial is to respectful for my tastes.

Lan's awesome also. Logain is up there

However, I must say that I like Elaida. Not because I like her personality, her looks, her actions, etc. I like her because she ignites the primeval anger in me, which makes it sooooo much easier to kill stupid people in my mind. Thank you, Elaida. Go to hell.

You almost need to list one character and have everyone say whether or not they like that character.

Interesting that many more male characters have been listed here than female....

Min is my favorite female character, I think.  maybe Verin after that.

Loial is definitely up there near the top of my "most likeable characters" list.  Mat is likeable, but not all the time.  I'm NEVER sick of Tam though.  This series needs more Tam.

Interesting that many more male characters have been listed here than female....

Any surprise there?  I think if anything Jordan hs made men appreciate how bad sexism is, after having his men under its yoke for so long :D!

I my self agree with you on Min though.  She is one of my favourite characters.  She is very much like Arwen (not Jacksons').  She gently props Rand up in the middle of a hurricane.  I have said before to others, I feel she has the only genuine love for Rand out of his three lovers.

Everybody has to love Mat... there are too many things he has said that just made me burst out laughing. Definately a agree-able character.

Obviously everyone has a love/hate relationship with Rand...  we grew up with him, empthasized with him, seen him become a guy of duty and love, and even turn into a power hungry cruel leader... Rand is a very diverse character and will not be loved by everyone haha.

Lan? "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a moutain." A guy of much respect, can't see why people wouldn't all love a guy that is so loyal?

But oh, I think Loial is the easiest for everyone to love... a huge oversized person with the ability to sing to nature and cause nature to grow faster than time usually mandates... a guy who loves too read... since we all love to read here, I think he is the best choice :-)

Archived