DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Thursday night at work, I started reading Storm of Iron a WarHammer 40K book by Graham McNeill. 

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/Storm-of-Iron-2008-Edition.html

If you've not read them yet, check out the Night Lords trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Black Library's best writer, writing about the best Chaos Legion.

I read about that trilogy over on Amazon.com. It sounds like it will be an excellent Warhammer 40K trilogy for me to read. 

Just completed Mazirian the Magician and Cugel the Clever, both by Jack Vance. I will probably move on to Cugel: The Skybreak Spatterlight, also by Jack Vance next and the I believe I will read Mary Stewarts The Crystal Cave. 

Oooh, boy, let's see.  Almost done Hitchhiker's Guiide to the Galaxy

After that the queue is:

Memory of LIght

Blindness - Jose Saramago

Slaughterhouse 5 - Vonnegut

Girl Who played with Fire/Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Steig Larsson

The list goes on, that's just for the next month or two depending on my schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished  Cugel: The Skybreak Spatterlight by Jack Vance a couple weeks ago.  Since then I have finished The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart, the first book of her Arthurian Saga.  I am starting the second book The Hollow Hills now. 

The Crystal Cave was very good.  I enjoyed the first person account of things and how the Merlin legend grows as the story goes on.  Looking forward to the birth of Arthur, I am assuming, in the next book.

Edited by redarm

Thursday evening, July 11th, I started reading Dark Inheritance by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O`Neal Gear. Although I do MOST of my reading during my breaks at work, I am over one hundred pages into this book. I am hooked into this very good story with interesting characters. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Inheritance-W-Michael-Gear/dp/B005Q87G1C/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373775362&sr=1-2&keywords=dark+inheritance

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Currently Halfway through "A Drance with Dragons".  Really starting to enjoy it...  I took a break after A Feast for Crows for about a year.

A selection from my "to read" pile, i've got (in no particular order) -

Joe Abercombie's First Law Trilogy + Standalones

The Agent Persona by Andy Mcdermott

Mark of Calth (Various authors - Warhammer 30k - Horus Heresy)

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman

Not sure what will be my next read.... Maybe Andy McDermott's

• 1 month later...

Finally completed Mary Stewart's The Hollow Hills.  I will be continuing with The Last Enchantment, also by Mary Stewart, which continues the story of Merlin and and of Arthur.  Time to read is so hard to come by lately.  And when I do have time it seems I am reading childrens stories to my little ones.  While I enjoy that greatly I do wish I had the time to sit with my books and fall into a story for a few hours.  Soon it'll get cold around here and I'll have more time.  Can't wait.

Right now I am just about to finish reading A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller, and I am loving it.  It has a great story, and some great commentary on the human condition.  It does have some flaws, but its good points more than make up for them.

I also recently read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, which I had never read before, even though it is a classic.  This book was a bit of a chore to get through at times, but it was a well-told story with some very likeable and memorable characters, and I was impressed with how the various plot threads all tied together in the end.  My biggest complaint was that the main character himself isn't particularly likeable during much of the book, but that didn't stop me from enjoying most of the story.  And now I will finally know what people are talking about when they refer to characters like Pip or Miss Havisham.  :smile:

Edited by Paul H

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently almost done Gotrek & Felix: The First Omnibus by William King, a part of Warhammer. Amazing book (or books, since it's an omnibus). 

Going to read The Last Crusade: The Epic Voyages of Vasco Da Gama by Nigel Cliff. A history book, picked it because it's on a thread of history I have never read much about. 

Aside from these purchased books put a hold today on The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and Total War Rome: Destroy Carthage by David Gibbins. I'm also a bit of a gamer so that is why I'm interested in the Total War-inspired book.

Scott Lynch "The Republic of Thieves"! So stoked this is finally out. Know Scott was dealing with a number of issues over the last few years so this is a pretty big accomplishment on his part. It's a shame because this was one of the most promising new series a few years back. Hope he can get the momentum rolling again.

I decided to take a look at Brandon Sanderson's work, because I thought he did a good job with WoT. I started the Mistborn trilogy, but so far (2nd book) it's interesting but kind of simplistic. I enjoyed reading it late into the night, but it seems a bit YA at times. The romance is cute, though. It's nice to read something sweet once in a while.

Finished The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart and will begin the fourth book in the series, The Wicked Day.  I have found it very interesting how Stewart has taken many of the legends and stories about King Arthur and Merlin that have been told over the years and combined them.  Almost anyone who has shown up in the legends shows up in the book in some form. Looking forward to completeing this fourth one.