DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I have two questions...neither one specifically dealing with content.

1. When aMoL is finally published, will the Kindle version be released at the same time as the hardback version? I will not be in a geographical location with access to just released books - but can use the internet to d/l the kindle version.

2. I've read a few comments here and there about outrigger novels. Is there more info on this possibility?

Besides what Suttree said, the ebook is published April 9th. The outriggers will probably not get made, in the end, according to Brandon. It's Harriet's choice, and he said that he wouldn't want anyone else to do it if they do get made, but they probably won't (that would be more Brandon writing in the WoT than his following notes, since there really isn't enough of them).

Who is the Lord of Chaos, been re-reading the book and perhaps just because I am skimming it/don't remember details of the book, but when the forsaken say let the lord of chaos rule, are they referring to the DO, or ?...

Who is the Lord of Chaos, been re-reading the book and perhaps just because I am skimming it/don't remember details of the book, but when the forsaken say let the lord of chaos rule, are they referring to the DO, or ?...

Let the Lord of Chaos rule doesn't refer to a specific person (or entity, in Shai'tan's case), so much as an instruction to spread chaos.

Let the Lord of Chaos rule doesn't refer to a specific person (or entity, in Shai'tan's case), so much as an instruction to spread chaos.

There are pretty convincing theories that the 'Lord of Chaos' does mean Rand as the king of fools. Making him unite the world when there was seemingly no reason to almost broke him with just the stress, so it was a pretty good plan and it frees up the shadow's forces to plan elsewhere.

Here is a question that struck me as I was on my current read through.

The Great Hunt:

While Rand, Loiel and Hurrin are in the Portal world that is bare of life (save lanfear and gholum) what is the thing he see's in the sky? It sounds an awful lot like Rand is describing a Jet contrail. Has anyone ever asked what it was or has a better idea?

Here is a question that struck me as I was on my current read through.

The Great Hunt:

While Rand, Loiel and Hurrin are in the Portal world that is bare of life (save lanfear and gholum) what is the thing he see's in the sky? It sounds an awful lot like Rand is describing a Jet contrail. Has anyone ever asked what it was or has a better idea?

We don't know, but yes it does sound like a contrail.

In the Shadow Rising, how did Temaile(?) bring Amathera into T'A'R'? Moghedien would have known how to do this, but she hadn't revealed herself to the BA13 yet.

Ter'angreal, I think, wasn't it?

Doh. That does seem like the likely answer come to think of it. I guess my follow question is do we know if the BA possess any sleepweavers for non-channelers, or does it suffice to have a channeler operate sleepweaver for you? Can you operate two at once? Am I paying way too much attention to detail here?? =p

Still, it seems a bit amazing for me seeing as she was constantly playing with Amathera, she dropped her off a tower and got her out of TAR just before she hit the bottom and stuff like that. I know Spirit can be channeled asleep but do you have that level of micro-control over the flows when you're not conscious? I always figured that channeling while asleep was just about setting the weave and maintaining that while asleep, sort of like the wards Moiraine sets on Lan, Bukama and Ryne in NS which set off an alarm in her head whenever anyone passed them.

I don't think it's possible to actively channel when you're not conscious, even if it is Spirit. So I wonder how the BA was doing what it was to Amathera.

Which brings me to another question. I remember that it was mentioned in the books, but if you enter TAR with a ter'angreal that requires channeling, are you automatically holding the source and still channeling into the thing's reflection in TAR? If so, is stepping out of TAR the same as it usually is, or do you have to stop channeling?

On a final note, one appears to have some level of consciousness when in TAR, so maybe you can control your real world spirit weaves from there, but I fail to see how it is possible when you are simply asleep and therefore unconscious like in Moiraine's case. Of course, I could be wrong, and there might be a part of a channeler's brain that stays conscious in order to control the weaves of Spirit, but it's just a little odd that such a thing has never been mentioned.

I wanted some clarifications on saidin channeling and detection.

We know male channelers can't sense each others' ability to channel, They can only sense if somebody is holding saidin and there is a sense of strain when the channeler is close to the personal limit in terms of holding.saidin. So a male channeler judges another male channeler's ability by the amount of saidin he uses in a specific weave and by the sense of strain.

However male channelers appear unable to mask their ability (ala Mesaana when she's chatting to Alviarin or Graendal at the Cleansing) when they're holding saidin or channeling? Is this true? I'm guessing it is because Halima was genuinely scared of Logain detecting her and also she was detected at the Cleansing by Eben.If she could mask this would not have happened.

Also can male channelers "throttle back" like Mesaana did when she was pretending to be Danelle? That is, Mesaana when pretending to be Danelle was displaying only saidar channeling ability to the extent that Danelle had. Can a strong male channeler fake the sense of strain when he is holding saidin to make others think he's weaker than he actually is?

Also can a male channeler deliberately "fail" the resonance test Taim used?

Wondering if there are clear answers to the above anywhere?

All I know about that for sure is that males can only judge max strength when it is being used, while females can "sense" the strength in other females. This is demonstrated when a women lets herself feel the strength of another, and when Rand has Taim seize as much Saidin as he can to judge his strength, and comments something about he is close to my strength, unless he is holding back.

Still, it seems a bit amazing for me seeing as she was constantly playing with Amathera, she dropped her off a tower and got her out of TAR just before she hit the bottom and stuff like that. I know Spirit can be channeled asleep but do you have that level of micro-control over the flows when you're not conscious? I always figured that channeling while asleep was just about setting the weave and maintaining that while asleep, sort of like the wards Moiraine sets on Lan, Bukama and Ryne in NS which set off an alarm in her head whenever anyone passed them.

I don't think it's possible to actively channel when you're not conscious, even if it is Spirit. So I wonder how the BA was doing what it was to Amathera.

Which brings me to another question. I remember that it was mentioned in the books, but if you enter TAR with a ter'angreal that requires channeling, are you automatically holding the source and still channeling into the thing's reflection in TAR? If so, is stepping out of TAR the same as it usually is, or do you have to stop channeling?

On a final note, one appears to have some level of consciousness when in TAR, so maybe you can control your real world spirit weaves from there, but I fail to see how it is possible when you are simply asleep and therefore unconscious like in Moiraine's case. Of course, I could be wrong, and there might be a part of a channeler's brain that stays conscious in order to control the weaves of Spirit, but it's just a little odd that such a thing has never been mentioned.

My offhand intuition says nothing disallows actively channeling in the real world while in T'A'R'. I base that mostly off of extrapolation from the scene where Egwene and the Dreamwalkers entire T'A'R' while riding horses. Picturing that always made me snicker for some reason :rolleyes:

I'll post again if I find anything more detailed in the quote database, but we seem to have left the realm of simple q&a's...

There are pretty convincing theories that the 'Lord of Chaos' does mean Rand as the king of fools. Making him unite the world when there was seemingly no reason to almost broke him with just the stress, so it was a pretty good plan and it frees up the shadow's forces to plan elsewhere.

The idea that Rand is the Lord of Chaos - and thus the Shadow's directive is to let Rand rule - is not consistent with any of the uses of the phrase in the series. In LoC we see the attempt to kidnap and control Rand, in KoD we see the phrase used by Semi (about her murder of the Seanchan Imperial family) and Taim (about the plan to allow the bonding of Asha'man by Reds). Thus the first is not letting Rand rule, the second and third have little to do with Rand. We also have evidence from Sammael and Graendal suggesting that they are under orders to increase chaos. The Feast of Fools interpretation has merit, but it doesn't refer to a single individual, certainly not Rand.

I wanted some clarifications on saidin channeling and detection.

We know male channelers can't sense each others' ability to channel, They can only sense if somebody is holding saidin and there is a sense of strain when the channeler is close to the personal limit in terms of holding.saidin. So a male channeler judges another male channeler's ability by the amount of saidin he uses in a specific weave and by the sense of strain.

However male channelers appear unable to mask their ability (ala Mesaana when she's chatting to Alviarin or Graendal at the Cleansing) when they're holding saidin or channeling? Is this true? I'm guessing it is because Halima was genuinely scared of Logain detecting her and also she was detected at the Cleansing by Eben.If she could mask this would not have happened.

We have no information. Getting rid of Logain allows halima to act with a degree of impunity she otherwise couldn't, but that doesn't mean she was unable to conceal her strength. Also, the Chosen prefer different methods - some act more openly than others, so one hiding their strength doesn't indicate another couldn't.

Also can male channelers "throttle back" like Mesaana did when she was pretending to be Danelle? That is, Mesaana when pretending to be Danelle was displaying only saidar channeling ability to the extent that Danelle had. Can a strong male channeler fake the sense of strain when he is holding saidin to make others think he's weaker than he actually is?

Also can a male channeler deliberately "fail" the resonance test Taim used?

Wondering if there are clear answers to the above anywhere?

Again, all of these are unkowns. No clear answers either way.

how come the Seanchan likes ravens so much, when we know that ravens symbolise the Shadow?

coincidence, or was Ishamael having a laugh?

Probably Ishamael having a laugh, same as the Towers of Midnight. There are 13 of them, and it's another name for the Forsaken.

The idea that Rand is the Lord of Chaos - and thus the Shadow's directive is to let Rand rule - is not consistent with any of the uses of the phrase in the series. In LoC we see the attempt to kidnap and control Rand...

The plan for the kidnapping was already in motion when Demandred went to Shayol Ghul in the LOC prologue; there were seventeen days in between the time he went there and the time he met with the other Forsaken, and in that time we had Gawyn's and Katerine's POVs, when the Aes Sedai were making a deal with the Shaido. Part of the reason we know Demandred was involved with the Black Tower at the time is this quote:

"I have a few questions of my own. I never thought you would keep your truce with al’Thor any longer than you must, but this...?"

The watcher’s eyebrows rose. A truce? A claim as risky as it was false, by all evidence.

"I didn’t arrange his kidnapping." Sammael gave her what he probably thought was a wry look; his scar made it more a snarl. "Mesaana had a hand in it, though. Maybe Demandred and Semirhage as well, despite how it ended, but Mesaana certainly. Perhaps you ought to reconsider what you think the Great Lord means about leaving al’Thor unharmed."

Taim's rescue of Rand at the last minute is certainly consistent with the idea that Rand is the Lord of Chaos, despite the fact that it's obviously also a reference to chaos as a strategy. And the orders to leave Rand unharmed, as Sammael says, were part of Demandred's instructions (which came to Sammael through Graendal), which is also consistent with Rand being the Lord of Chaos (and letting him rule).

Edited by Terez

How does one go about becoming a Darkfriend? With it being a crime punishable by death in most (if not all nations), even the act of seeking a group out would be quite risky.

To further that...How does one such as Lindrin seek out the BA and successfully find them within 2 years, yet no other AS runs across them. With as much inter-Tower politics as there is, any thing out of the ordinary that a BA AS does would be identified...

How does one go about becoming a Darkfriend? With it being a crime punishable by death in most (if not all nations), even the act of seeking a group out would be quite risky.

To further that...How does one such as Lindrin seek out the BA and successfully find them within 2 years, yet no other AS runs across them. With as much inter-Tower politics as there is, any thing out of the ordinary that a BA AS does would be identified...

I always pictured it like the Fight club.

You can't talk about it, but damned if people who don't want to join learn how to join.

how come the Seanchan likes ravens so much, when we know that ravens symbolise the Shadow?

coincidence, or was Ishamael having a laugh?

It seems likely that Ishamael influenced the decision; not sure if "decision" is the right term. He also seemed to influence their prophecies.

Various threads debated this.

Though similar to another poster the Dark One's command seems to mean "Let chaos spread" and/or "Spread chaos". The Dark One and each Forsaken seem to intend either or both of those meanings.

Taim might intend a different meaning.

Various threads debated this....

And Brandon found that surprising because the answer is really obvious. To be honest, I was surprised too; it's not something we debate at Theoryland.

What's considered an AMoL spoiler anyways? As the book hasn't come out.

Two spoilery covers, the jacket blurb, and the first POV of the prologue so far. Any hints we get in the interviews are not considered spoilers and can be posted here.