DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Rand tells Tuon that the main continent survived without the Seanchan's leashes for centuries.

Tuon begins "And you have--" then Rand interrupts her.

What was she going to say?

When meeting with Perrin & Faile, Elayne tells that Andor owes the Dragon Reborn a debt.

A debt for his removing of Rahvin or for something else? If for something else, exactly what?

This is from

http://www.theorylan...tvmain.php?i=36

AUSTIN MOORE (6 JANUARY 2011)

Who was the Lord of Chaos that Demandred and Taim both mention? There has been tons of debate.

BRANDON SANDERSON (6 JANUARY 2011)

Really? I thought that one was obvious. What's the debate about?

TEREZ

It's Rand. Look in the BWB re: Feast of Fools.

AUSTIN MOORE

Why was Demandred and Taim saying, "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" if it was Rand? Sorry just read through series once so far :(

TEREZ

Here's a quote for you:

The Feast of Fools

Celebrated in Tammaz (in Arad Doman and the Borderlands) or Saven (everywhere else), the exact day varying according to locality. A day in which all order is deliberately inverted; the high perform lowly tasks (running errands, serving at table, etc.) while the low do no work and give orders to their usual superiors. In many villages and towns the most foolish person is given a title such as the Lord/Lady of Unreason/Misrule/Chaos or the King/Queen of Fools. Not an honor sought, but for that one day everyone has to obey whatever orders, however foolish, are given by the chosen one. (Called the Festival of Unreason in Saldaea; the Festival of Fools in Kandor; Foolday in Baerlon and the Two Rivers.)

MATT HATCH

I've always enjoyed this theory about the Lord of Chaos. It's fun.

http://bit.ly/fghYSz

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is a good theory for people to be reading.

TEREZ

YAY. OMG, that theory has been on the rocks for years because of contradicting tour reports.

TEREZ

Also, your tour quotes were vague enough to allow it but most people didn't see it that way.

BRANDON SANDERSON

I didn't say the theory was true, just that you should study it. :) But I would like to see those tour reports.

TEREZ

Yes, yes. :) Also, your vague(ish) wording:

http://bit.ly/gbMIP1

And the contradicting RJ reports:

http://bit.ly/fsDp5q

FOOTNOTE

Adding to Brandon's implications here is Sorilea's comment in reference to the balefiring of Natrin's Barrow, in The Gathering Storm Chapter 27: "We felt the world warping from here, but did not know what had caused it. We assumed it to be the Dark One's work." (Similar to the ripples Perrin and Faile experienced in Knife of Dreams.) This opens up the possibility that people have no idea really what they're talking about when they assume that the warping of reality is due to the Dark One's touch, just as Alviarin had no idea what she was talking about when she assumed that the rotting food was the Dark One's touch (Knife of Dreams, Prologue).

(emphasis mine)

BS' responses are vague enough to do an Aes Sedai justice..

He does not state that 'the LoC is Rand', or indeed identify 'him' as any particular person; he merely says it's obvious.

As for your emphasis...at that point he was clearly talking about the theory that Demandred is balefiring things.

My own opinion is that the expression 'Let the Lord of Chaos rule' can be taken both figuratively and literally.

Which is what I have been saying.

Is it canon that in each turning of the Wheel that the ages are the same?

I've read several posts that either imply or outright state that each age is exactly the same as the corresponding age in a previous turning of the Wheel.

Interview: Nov 30th, 2000

WH Signing Report - Matt Peck (Paraphrased)

Matt Peck

I asked that as the Wheel turned, each time an Age rolls around, is the Pattern exactly the same each time, or does it change?

Robert Jordan

He seemed to like this question. He likened it to a tapestry. When seen from a distance, each Third Age (to make it easy to track) has exactly the same pattern as the previous Third Age. However, when seen up close, there are differences. Threads are different, different nations exist, geography is different, different personalities rise to prominence. These changes, while minute in the grand scale of the Pattern, affect the Pattern enough so that while two iterations of an Age are almost the same, the first "Third Age" may be wildy different from the hundredth "Third Age".

How does killing the royal family of an empire that is trying to take over his realm let him rule? Are you serious? Stopping the Seanchan is the epitome of letting Rand rule.

Putting in a box isn't sure, but breaking him out of that box? Definatly letting him rule.

Semi didn't stop the Seanchan. She removed the Imperial family, but they were too far away to truly impact on the situation in the Westlands. At best it limits the possibility of reinforcements coming from Seanchan, but they were not relying on reinforcements anyway, so it's really a non-factor with regards to Rand. Nothing at all to do with him. Also, the Shadow did not break Rand out of the box. They were complicit in the plan to lock him away, but it was not a Shadow plot from on high that broke him out. Perrin was not following a Shadow plot, Taim acted of his own volition, not orders from the Chosen, and Sevanna sought to control Rand herself. So, again, no use of the phrase "Let the Lord of Chaos rule" is consistent with a plan to let Rand rule. Attacking Rand indirectly was a part of the strategy they were using at that time, but it does not follow that that means Rand is the Lord of Chaos.

MATT HATCH

I've always enjoyed this theory about the Lord of Chaos. It's fun.

http://bit.ly/fghYSz

BRANDON SANDERSON

That is a good theory for people to be reading.

TEREZ

YAY. OMG, that theory has been on the rocks for years because of contradicting tour reports.

TEREZ

Also, your tour quotes were vague enough to allow it but most people didn't see it that way.

BRANDON SANDERSON

I didn't say the theory was true, just that you should study it.

..at that point he was clearly talking about the theory that Demandred is balefiring things.

That theory is titled 'Let the Lord of Chaos rule - Through Balefire'. That would make Demandred the LoC.

unanswered questions::

Rand tells Tuon that the main continent survived without the Seanchan's leashes for centuries.

Tuon begins "And you have--" then Rand interrupts her.

What was she going to say?

When meeting with Perrin & Faile, Elayne tells that Andor owes the Dragon Reborn a debt.

A debt for his removing of Rahvin or for something else? If for something else, exactly what?

I thought since the lord of chaos thing revealed Taim as a dark friend (I am one of those who are reluctant to resort to darkfriend until explicitly stated) that he saw a rescue was inevitable and so jumped in to show his worth. If Perrin and co hadn't of been right there, I doubt he would of gone in on his lonesome.

Question time: Cadsuane said she wanted to teach Rand to laugh and cry, and Min said she had something to teach oth Rand and the asha'man. Rand learnt to laugh and cry pretty much on his own though in VoG, so the question: is 'Cadsuane still has something important to teach Rand and the asha'man' a theory that has been discussed around here?

I always assumed Cad taught him to cry by bringing Tam to him. She caused the final snap, teaching him to laugh and cry. Not sure how she taught the Ashamen however. I'll never get that.

I always thought that she only thought she was teaching him to laugh and cry. She did, of course, but that was incidental--the real thing she taught Rand about himself, and by extension all AM, was that they were not weapons, but men. That is the crucial lesson, the lesson that changed the world.

AM will likely be a major power in the world post-TG, so imagine the difference between humans who wield OP, and maniacs who believe their only purpose is to kill. The difference between a world nearly intact, and another breaking.

Is ever hinted or explicitly stated that Min will/will not have children with Rand?

Neither. She hopes to have his children, but has no indication one way or another from her viewings.

Is ever hinted or explicitly stated that Min will/will not have children with Rand?

Neither. She hopes to have his children, but has no indication one way or another from her viewings.

The appearance of Alarch does leave an opening for some speculation on that front though.

It only says that he is Padra's brother, not that he is Avi's actual son.

Aside from the Body Swap theory, there really isn't any other way to explain his dark hair.

Edited by Finnssss

There are plenty of ways to explain it, not least the fact that Rand himself has dark hair.

Dark red hair, yes, not just dark. Barring a latent gene popping up or genetic mutation, it's not possible for Rand to have a dark haired child through Avi or Elayne. Rand only has two red genes to pass, it's the only way to end up with red hair.

I'm not saying it is Min's son, just that it's a possibility that can't be ruled out at this time.

That's all.

Edited by Finnssss

Guest Saintvicious

Hi, I'm re-reading the series and I'm a bit confused on the dreams that the three guys are having. Are they being drawn into tel'aran'rhoid? Or is it like the times where Egwene was drawn into Gawyn's dreams (which is outside of TAR, right?)

There are plenty of ways to explain it, not least the fact that Rand himself has dark hair.

Dark red hair, yes, not just dark. Barring a latent gene popping up or genetic mutation, it's not possible for Rand to have a dark haired child through Avi or Elayne. Rand only has two red genes to pass, it's the only way to end up with red hair.

Not so, and I'm a living example of that. My father was dark, my mother a redhead. I'm dark, as is my sister; our brother is also a redhead. Dark genes are dominant over red, so dad must have had one dark gene, one red.

As it happens, Rand's hair colour description changes a bit during the series. In places it's given as dark red. But in TGH2, in the sequence where Rand is practising swordplay with Lan, Rand's hair is described as 'dark, reddish' (note the comma). At least, it is in my UK Orbit Books 1993 version.

Edited by FarShainMael

Not so, and I'm a living example of that. My father was dark, my mother a redhead. I'm dark, as is my sister; our brother is also a redhead. Dark genes are dominant over red, so dad must have had one dark gene, one red.

Yes, it means your father has a dark gene and a red gene, while your mother has 2 red genes (like Rand).

Your father can pass on either gene while your mother can only pass on a red one.

Black>Brown>Blonde>Red

Yes, it means your father has a dark gene and a red gene, while your mother has 2 red genes (like Rand).

Your father can pass on either gene while your mother can only pass on a red one.

Black>Brown>Blonde>Red

Rand's hair is 'dark, reddish'; but even if he were a pure redhead, Avi is not - she's also 'dark reddish' though without the comma (TFoH31). So she would supply the 'dark' gene even if Rand doesn't have one. The inverse of my own situation.

I already provided the RJ quote, and my reasoning when Terez objected to my conclusion.

Okay, so there are three issues here. The first, that I missed your reply on that point (or I'd have replied sooner). The second, that you haven't really -- you just said why you believe RJ's words fit better with his not acting under orders (which is hardly justification to start referring to it as a given fact). And the third, that I completely disagree. RJ said he was paranoid to explain why he had eyes on Rand and everyone else, which is to say, how he'd known to go looking for Rand, and in what general direction. This says little of why he'd be interested in locating and saving Rand.

Now, obviously, it does contradicts the theory that Taim was is the know regarding the whole scheme from the get-go. But just as obvious is the fact that Taim has thrown his lot in with the Shadow, and so that he would act of his own volition in a situation as sensitive as this one is beyond unlikely. It's also telling that he wasn't reprimanded in any way, shape or form we could detect (and when the Shadow punishes someone, we can usually tell just by seeing them through another's perspective).

The first book takes place at 998 NE- which means rand, perrin and mat are about 20 years old but in TOM thom says mat is barely 20 years old- even though its been more than two years since the beginning of the series- doesn't make sense does it?

At the beginning of TEotW Rand, Mat and Perrin are probably about nineteen and a half. Still, not yet even thirty years old, I'd have no problem saying someone who's almost 22 is "barely twenty winters old" (especially if that someone came to me with "recapture some of my lost youth"). Thom is much older than I am, so, not that weird to me.