DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I hope they never do a movie. It would be plain horrible. I wouldn't mind, though, HBO doing a series GoT-like. HBO has great series.

I'm a bit ashamed to ask this, being a huge fan of the series, but I guess this is something I haven't quite caught on to yet:

How does anyone in the Wheel of Time know there is a creator or other ages at all, besides the Age of Legends? I thought it was made clear in the books that there were little to no records from other ages besides the Third Age and the age of legends (which, while I'm asking - Is the Age of Legends the 2nd Age, or is it still part of the Third Age? That hasn't stuck with me, either, I'm afraid.)

On this same line of thought, how is the Pattern itself even known of? It's true that the Heroes of the Horn would know in Tel'aran'rhiod of their pasts, but even then, how did they connect that with a literal "pattern"? Furthermore, how did the original Aes Sedai know where to look for what is now refered to as the Bore? Did they sense the power emnating from there with Saidin/Saidar, or was it something else?

Thanks ~

Well, how do christians know about God and muslims about Ala? How do people know of and believe in destiny? It's all about philosophy.

How did it survive the Breaking? Well, note that the Breaking didn't kill every person alive at the moment. It was a period of decadence when a lot of knowledge was lost, probably because a lot of the most important ASs died 1) The Hundred Companions 2) The Sharom; and so a lot of Talents and abilities may had been lost. Not everyone knew how to do everything, as we know pretty well from the Forsaken themselves. And with the lose of the most important centers of knowledge, most of books talking about that abilities and Talents were lost, and with no people alive capable of doing such waves or with knowledge about certain Talents, they eventually were forgoten. No time to write books during the Breaking, you know. Returning to the main point, I said all this to explain that notions about the Creator and the Pattern wouldn't have been lost because it was probably something everyone knew. Maybe in the AoL not everyone believed in it, as not everyone believes in God, destiny, etc, but still we all know what this notions are. And so I doubt something everyone knows could be forgotten.

The major monotheistic religions actually know about their god because he came down and told them. RJ said the creator doesn't do this. I believe that the information comes from TaR myself, but with the one power is is probably possible to do all sorts of things, the AoL probably had a fair amount of proof about the wheel and creator. The found the prison after all, which means they had the ability to reach outside the pattern, which implies that they knew the pattern exists and what it was made from.

The major monotheistic religions actually know about their god because he came down and told them. RJ said the creator doesn't do this. I believe that the information comes from TaR myself, but with the one power is is probably possible to do all sorts of things, the AoL probably had a fair amount of proof about the wheel and creator. The found the prison after all, which means they had the ability to reach outside the pattern, which implies that they knew the pattern exists and what it was made from.

Because 'seomeone' sais that he came down and told HIM about what to do, mind you. Well, with the access to the TS, the believing of it coming from a Creator is no surprise. Also, the effects of Balefire support the Pattern theory.

The DO was found while searching for a new source of Power. They thought they had mastered Saidar and Saidin and that they couldn't keep on 'evolving' with them, which was plain arrogance (healing stilling?, unweaving?, etc.); so they started searching for another source of Power, and they found it 'outside the Pattern' (outside time and space as they know it) in a kind of 'bubble' or 'well'. They bore it to acces it and chachan it was the DO.

And however many are spun out. Which for all we know might be half of them at any given time, especially during exciting times such as these.

We know Luca, at the very least, had been spun out at that time.

And however many are spun out. Which for all we know might be half of them at any given time, especially during exciting times such as these.

We know Luca, at the very least, had been spun out at that time.

:laugh:

It is the only way you can read the text.

Universal has the rights for a feature film, and they won't expire for a few more years from what I understand (RJ signed for 7 years before he died). Likely that won't go anywhere, since Jason saw their script and he thinks it's horrible...and no one wants a feature film anyway. Though I personally think theater serials would be an even better format than a TV series; it might provide the budget necessary to do it right. People act like theater serials are a thing of the past, but I don't see why.

I think animation series.

Did Moghedien use TAR in any way when she was being held captive in Salidar, either to try escape or to mess with the minds of Elayne/Nynaeve/etc?

If not, why not?

I don't know if the a'dam has something to do, but even if it doesn't, what would you want her to do? Even if she enters TAR, she can't do anything unless Nyn or Elayne enter it too. And she can't sneak in their dreams, she isn't that skilled in TAR. As far as I know, only WOs, Egwene, Lanfear and Ishamael can do it. Asmodean appears briefly in Rand's dream when Lanfear is with him in the lake (dream) but that's probably just because Lanfear is there and he follows her.

Edited by Naggash

I think Aran'gar was messing with Egwene's dreams. Perhaps sexually, it's never really explained.

Are you saying that Mogheden can enter TAR but not the gap of infinity?

It's probably the a'dam, but it's never mentioned.

Aran'Gar did so through waves I think, like the headache...I'm not sure in this, but I think it's the most probable.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Given that Moggy could get into Eg's dreams earlier (before she was a'dam-ed) and set up the trap involving Gawain, she has far more innate ability at this than A'rangar. Her own PoVs and comfort with TAR also suggests that.

That she apparently didn't use TAR while A'damed (and also that Egwene. who was admittedly clueless, in TGH didn't while held) and that the other Chosen didn't communicate with Moggy via TAR during her captivity suggests that the A'dam has some sort of blocking effect.

But I dunno if an absence of TAR/ Dream usage is enough for proof that the a'dam interferes with access to Tar.

INTERVIEW: Oct 9th, 2010

New York ComicCon Signing Report - Ted Herman

TED HERMAN

Can a Dreamer access Tel'aran'rhiod if trapped by an a'dam?

BRANDON SANDERSON

At first, Brandon said yes, but then he qualified that with 90% chance of yes.

INTERVIEW: Apr, 2012

Afternoon Tea with Brandon Sanderson - Luckers (Paraphrased)

LUCKERS

Can someone who is leashed by an a’dam touch Tel’aran’rhiod?

BRANDON SANDERSON

*blinks at me* Umm. That’s a really good question.

LUCKERS

I ask, because it’s odd that Moghedien never tried to use the dream to escape, or to capture someone in Salidar and compel her to free Moghedien in the waking world, or anything like that.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah, that’s a good question. I’d guess no, but you can MAFO that.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Given that Moggy could get into Eg's dreams earlier (before she was a'dam-ed) and set up the trap involving Gawain

That was in TAR, not Egwene's dreams. Indeed, once she fled back to her own dreams, the scene progressed much differently :wink:

Not in a way that changes the fact that what you said was made up entirely.

That depends. If you read it to mean the scene was different, in that people were doing different things, then no, nothing we saw can attest to that. But if you, as I did, mean that instead of it being wrong somehow, everything was good and well, then I disagree. It was made rather clear that the part in TAR was a trap (even if Egwene didn't pick up on it), whereas we have absolutely no reason to believe anything bad happened to her afterwards, in her dreams. Here it is:

Enough idle standing about. It was time to- Flicker.

[...]

The banners were gone. What banners?

[...]

Egwene backed away from them, shaking her head. There had been banners, red eagle and red wolf's head. She had seen Galad. In the Tower. "NOOOOOOO!"

She fled, leaping from Tel'aran'rhiod to her own body. Awareness remained only long enough for her to wonder how she could possibly have been fool enough to let her own fancies nearly trap her, and then she was deep in her own safe dream. Gawyn galloped across the Wagon Bridge, swinging down.

Of course, I also alluded to the fact that, apparently, Egwene's dreams were becoming more and more graphic, something I'm unsure the TAR trap could've captured. This is one indication, from much later (I've chosen it since her blushings, while suggestive, don't spell it out like this does):

Once, even in her dreams, she had shied away from thoughts of making love with him. She had blushed to think about it awake. That seemed so foolish, now, so childish.