DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Also, I read somewhere that it was Semirhage's Trollocs that attacked the Stone of Tear in TSR shortly after Rand encounters Lanfear in his bedchamber, and then Lanfear's Trollocs counter Semirhage's. Is this true?

No. Semirhage sent the 'good' trollocs, the ones who fought other trollocs (on orders from SG, I think). The 'bad' ones were sent by Sammael, if memory serves.

Correct. Lanfear even denied it at the time to Rand when he asked.

We find out it was Semirhage on orders from the DO himself in LoC 6.

I don't know, but aren't there technically unlimited which means you don't need preorder and doesn't it come instantly too? Also, I think the ebook comes out after the real book.

It isn't an issue of availability; but finances that drove the question. I just want to pre-order it and be done with it. The next 10 months would be easier for me knowing that I have a prize waiting for met at the end of the tunnel. Just a personal thing!

Also, I noticed the link in another thread giving access to the UK Kindle edition.

Edited by Theodril

Verin said in TGS she'd met Mesaana in the WT. Since she left the WT before TSR and didn't return until her last night there i TGS, we can assume Messi was already there. Hence, Danelle has indeed already been replaced by TSR.

Except that Mesaana might well have been posing as someone else early on. We have other reasons to believe that Mesaana was already Danelle at that time, but your logic doesn't work.

Any reason to assume she's imitating multiple people?

Verin said in TGS she'd met Mesaana in the WT. Since she left the WT before TSR and didn't return until her last night there i TGS, we can assume Messi was already there. Hence, Danelle has indeed already been replaced by TSR.

Except that Mesaana might well have been posing as someone else early on. We have other reasons to believe that Mesaana was already Danelle at that time, but your logic doesn't work.

I believe she was Else, for one. Her personality didn't match Lanfear's very well at all, and we know from LOC that the trap leading the girls to the Stone was Mesaana's trap (which makes sense, of course). Why would Lanfear lend a hand in that? Much more likely she was observing Mesaana. I believe she was probably already at least working on her Danelle disguise at the time, but presumably at some point she had to hide in the Tower under various disguises until she pinpointed an Aes Sedai she could impersonate, someone close to her height and bone structure, and someone with few friends.

Wait, are we talking about when she was with Mat? Because Lanfear was Else at one point. When the wonder girls were got a visit from Else as a "messenger" from the Amyrlin. She was Else then, when she turned the corner, she went back to Lanfear form.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

My memory of TDR leaves something to be desired. Didn't Mat leave TV before the girls? At least, I think they visited him after he's woken, so his encounter with 'Else' came before that of the girls, didn't it?

My memory of TDR leaves something to be desired. Didn't Mat leave TV before the girls? At least, I think they visited him after he's woken, so his encounter with 'Else' came before that of the girls, didn't it?

Mat's "encounter" with Lanfear was chapter 20, when she appeared as herself to check on him and offering glory.

He met with Else in Chapter 24, just before dueling with Gawyn/Galad.

The very next chapter 25, Else visits the wondergirls (I am not sure about the time-frame, but I believe that she passes Mat on her way to the Wondergirls, with her supposed summons from the Amyrlin.)

Else starts running, and turns the corner. When Egwene reaches there, Lanfear meets her. She then tells her about the evidence from the 13 BA, and they go down to the storeroom to find all the clothing etc.. Where they find all of the books about Tear.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

I believe she was Else, for one. Her personality didn't match Lanfear's very well at all, and we know from LOC that the trap leading the girls to the Stone was Mesaana's trap (which makes sense, of course). Why would Lanfear lend a hand in that? Much more likely she was observing Mesaana. I believe she was probably already at least working on her Danelle disguise at the time, but presumably at some point she had to hide in the Tower under various disguises until she pinpointed an Aes Sedai she could impersonate, someone close to her height and bone structure, and someone with few friends.

Honestly were the scene with Else and Mat in a vacuum I might buy that, but the Else who talks to Egwene was clearly Lanfear. No I think the oddities in 'Mat-Else's behaviour was due simply to the fact that Lanfear had no idea how Mat could possibly know Else, and was therefore thrown. Her disguises are always like this--she thinks everyone else is an idiot, and constantly winks at the fact that she's in disguise. She did it as Selene and Keille both, and indeed using Else, who had been sent away from the Tower is just another. With the Else disguise though she was confronted with a lack of planning in her assumption of the alter ego when Mat recognised her.

Realistically, Lanfear is quite innept. That's what shone through here.

Wait, are we talking about when she was with Mat? Because Lanfear was Else at one point.

I don't believe she was.

When the wonder girls were got a visit from Else as a "messenger" from the Amyrlin. She was Else then, when she turned the corner, she went back to Lanfear form.

As I said, Lanfear was probably watching Mesaana; we learn in LOC that the Tear trap was Mesaana's plan, and it's unlikely they were working together.

Honestly were the scene with Else and Mat in a vacuum I might buy that, but the Else who talks to Egwene was clearly Lanfear.

That's not clear at all, actually, for several reasons.

That's not clear at all, actually, for several reasons.

So you believe that the Else talking to Mat was Lanfear but the Else that summoned the Wonder girls was Mesaana, who then impersonated Lanfear when Egwene caught up to her?

I understand the reasoning but that is under the premise that Mesaana sent the Wonder girls to Tear to be trapped as well. All we know for sure is that Mesaana was only trying to help Be'lal trap Rand. I don't remember any where it was stated that she was also trying to trap the girls.

The premise could be that Lanfear sent the girls to be trapped or even possibly to help Rand. Helping Rand indirectly was definitely right up Lanfear's alley at the time.

We do have RJ's answer that Lanfear was indeed posing as Else (I know you aren't 100% on the accuracy of that report).

Not sure if this has been asked before, but listening to tFoH and am wondering what happened to Uno and the rest of the Shinarins after they made it to Salidar and agreed to assist Brynn with the calvery. Are they ever mentioned again. I have all audio books except for LoC and CoT and cannot recall if they're mentioned in them.

Not sure if this has been asked before, but listening to tFoH and am wondering what happened to Uno and the rest of the Shinarins after they made it to Salidar and agreed to assist Brynn with the calvery. Are they ever mentioned again. I have all audio books except for LoC and CoT and cannot recall if they're mentioned in them.

He is seen a couple of times in LoC.

Then, not again till tPoD 17, leading the 1000 troops behind Egwene's delegation of the Hall, their Warders, Sheriam, Siuan and Bryne to meet with the Andorans and Murandians.

It should be assumed the other Shienarans are still under Byrne's command as well. We catch a glimpse of Ragan in CoT 30 delivering a message from Bryne to Egwene and Siuan.

Edited by Finnssss

we learn in LOC that the Tear trap was Mesaana's plan

Can you direct me to the correct paraphrase (a chapter would do)? Also, I'd like to ask whether Finnsss is correct to assume you believe Mesaana impersonated Selene.

Had any of the Aes Sedai remarked on the name Asha'man and it coming from the Prophecies?

A prophecy? Do mean Nicola's foretelling about the Guardians and Servants? No, I don't believe anyone remarked on that in the books.

we learn in LOC that the Tear trap was Mesaana's plan

Can you direct me to the correct paraphrase (a chapter would do)?

Should be LoC 6, that's the only mention of it I found directly involving Mesaana but there is tDR 51 where Liandrin, after capturing the girls, tells them that they are to be used as bait. Was that part of the plan from the beginning though? That's the debate and I can definitely see the reasoning behind it.

Obviously, the main point of contention is the rather "familiar" description of the woman Egwene runs into while chasing Else.

Edited by Finnssss

What, that she was proud of Be'lal's trap? I hardly think that's a confirmation of her involvement (sure, they're not ones to compliment the others' work, but she could've had part of the planning without taking an active part in it, and I don't find her involvement with Be'lal any less strange than the possibility of Lanfear's being also involved, given everything we know of him, which isn't much).

And about the second thing, even with the possibility of light Compulsion, I think this has to be Lanfear (the black eyes for one are indicative):

A woman turned to face her at the foot of the ramp, and Egwene stopped in confusion. Whoever she was, this was certainly not Else. All in silver and white silk, she sparked feelings Egwene had never had before. She was taller, more beautiful by far, and the look in her black eyes made Egwene feel small, scrawny, and none too clean. She can probably channel more of the Power than I can, too. Light, she is probably smarter than all three of us put together on top of it. It isn’t fair for one woman to - Abruptly she realized the way her thoughts were going. Her cheeks reddened, and she gave herself a shake. She had never felt - less - than any other woman before, and she was not about to start now.

"Bold," the woman said. "You are bold to go running about so, alone, where so many murders have been done." She sounded almost pleased.

Egwene drew herself up and straightened her dress hurriedly, hoping the other woman would not notice, knowing she did, wishing the woman had not seen her running like a child. Stop that! "Pardon, but I am looking for a novice who came this way, I think. She has large, dark eyes and dark hair in braids. She’s plump, and pretty in a way. Did you see which way she went?"

The tall woman looked her up and down in an amused way. Egwene could not be sure, but she thought the woman might have glanced a moment at the clenched fist by her side, where she still held the stone ring. "I do not think you will catch up to her. I saw her, and she was running quite fast. I suspect she is far away from here by now."

"Aes Sedai," Egwene began, but she was given no chance to ask which way Else had gone. Something that might have been anger, or annoyance, flashed through those black eyes.

"I have taken up enough time with you for now. I have more important matters to see to. Leave me." She gestured back the way Egwene had come. So strong was the command in her voice that Egwene turned and was three steps up the ramp before she realized what she was doing. Bristling, she spun back. Aes Sedai or no, I -

The gallery was empty.

Edited by yoniy0

What, that she was proud of Be'lal's trap? I hardly think that's a confirmation of her involvement (sure, they're not ones to compliment the others' work, but she could've had part of the planning without taking an active part in it, and I don't find her involvement with Be'lal any less strange than the possibility of Lanfear's being also involved, given everything we know of him, which isn't much).

Didn't Ishmael transfer the BA command to Mesaana? If so, then Be'lal would have had to go through Mesaana to get his 13 AS? She would have had to agree to it and allow Liandrin and co. to go to Tear.