DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I am sure this must have been covered many times, and I think I must have skipped over it in the book.

But what is stopping Rand using Callandor now the taint has been removed, as I thought the problem with it was that is magnified the effect of the taint on the source.

Edited by 999134

I am sure this must have been covered many times, and I think I must have skipped over it in the book.

But what is stopping Rand using Callandor now the taint has been removed, as I thought the problem with it was that is magnified the effect of the taint on the source.

Rand doesn't use Callandor because it's flawed. It lacks the buffer that prevents someone from drawing too much of the OP.

Another quick question, how strong is the true power in comparison to the use of items like Callandor, and going to just call the other one "item that rand self destructs that balfires a city" as I have no hope of spelling it.

Would Rand have been able to vaporise the dark one with it if he had not destroyed it.

I believe you are talking about the Choedan Kal (CK). Rand doesn't destroy the male one when he balefires the palace.

First of all the DO is impossible to kill/destroy. He is an equal to the Creator. The only possible thing to do about him is to seal him away from the Pattern.

And the TP is as strong as drawing directly from the TS which is the Creator himself as the TP is the DO himself. I can't provide quote but Rand sais in tGS, when he channles the TP, that the power he's wielding rivals with the OP he could channel through the CK:

Sorry maybe I read it wrong, but doesn't rand destroy it after he goes mad on top of the mountain.

Yes, on Dragonmount, at the end of tGS, he destroys the access key, and the Chodean Kal.

Edit:

@Naggesh: The True Power = Chodean Kal strength. Rand was talking about the lure of the True Power, it is much more irresistible than the OP, he had to keep the Chodean Kal, which was the only thing that could balance the lure of the True Power, not that it was as strong as the Chodean Kal.

As for an actual power conversion, I don't know, I think they are about the same though.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Do we have any idea if the Black sisters have the same expected life span as the rest of the Aes Sedai?

If they live the regular channeller life span, where might all these Black sisters be, since they wouldn't want to arouse suspicion by living so long?

Ok, so the Black sisters swear on the Oath Rod? Because going by what Verin says to Egwene in TGS, she does not seem certain that using the Oath Rod will remove her oaths to the Dark One, "then see if I could use it to remove the Great Lords oaths."

Ok, so the Black sisters swear on the Oath Rod? Because going by what Verin says to Egwene in TGS, she does not seem certain that using the Oath Rod will remove her oaths to the Dark One, "then see if I could use it to remove the Great Lords oaths."

There are two different sets of oaths: there are three oaths on the Oath Rod for the Black Ajah, so that their lifespan is the same as for regular Aes Sedai.

But there are also oaths taken at Shayol Ghul by every Darkfriend. And those are the oaths Verin isn't sure of she could foreswear.

Except that it's probably not true. Darkfriends, even Black Ajah, don't often go to Shayol Ghul, if they do at all. Alviarin had never been, for example. All we know is that Verin says the process of taking the Black Ajah oaths (on the Oath Rod) was 'distinctive'. Whatever that means.

We can consider that she was not sure because ['not betraying the DO until my last hour'] (more or less like that...) trying to undo the oaths would likely be kind of betrayal...

I don't think Jordan threw the 'distinctive' detail for nothing, but it could be a clue for another thing entirely; or it could be the plain answer here, I just think the other reason is also very possible.

We can consider that she was not sure because ['not betraying the DO until my last hour'] (more or less like that...) trying to undo the oaths would likely be kind of betrayal...

I don't think Jordan threw the 'distinctive' detail for nothing, but it could be a clue for another thing entirely; or it could be the plain answer here, I just think the other reason is also very possible.

i think you just found a soft spot in verin's betrayal. trying to subvert the oaths should also count as a betrayal? how could she even plan for what happened?

Either way she was wrong; Talene had no problem forswearing the Oaths, other than the usual pain.

I think the binders were closely guarded by the Hall of Servants in the Age of Legends. They probably didn't have to worry much about that; I'm sure they didn't allow bound criminals to handle them.

Perhaps, but we still don't know how they were made, and depending on how it could easily be possible to make your own. Perhaps that is why they were numbered? (not to mention there appears to have been at least a hundred of the things, if they were numbered in order)

We still don't have any reason to believe it's possible to forswear Oaths on a binder other than the one you used to swear them in the first place.

Galina forswears on a diferent one.

Galina swore a new oath on a new binder (No. 1, I think). The oath was to obey Therava (essentially becoming her slave).

Edited by Theodril

We still don't have any reason to believe it's possible to forswear Oaths on a binder other than the one you used to swear them in the first place.

Galina forswears on a diferent one.

Galina swore a new oath on a new binder (No. 1, I think). The oath was to obey Therava (essentially becoming her slave).

True >,<