DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Because, I still think it's not at all that. She fled a from trap in TAR and into a dirty dream, which is what I meant (I thought that wink would covey my meaning).

Do me a favor, will you, especially if you think I'm one to stand behind his words. Let me be my own police?

Not in a way that changes the fact that what you said was made up entirely.

That depends. If you read it to mean the scene was different, in that people were doing different things, then no, nothing we saw can attest to that. But if you, as I did, mean that instead of it being wrong somehow, everything was good and well, then I disagree. It was made rather clear that the part in TAR was a trap (even if Egwene didn't pick up on it), whereas we have absolutely no reason to believe anything bad happened to her afterwards, in her dreams.

Indeed, at the end of the chapter we have Moggy's own PoV on the matter:

The girl had been stronger than she had thought, to escape her weaving of T'A'R. Still, the girl had just been of interest because she was speaking to Elayne Trakand, who might lead her to Nynaeve al'Meara. The only reason to trap her had simply been to rid T'A'R of one who could walk through it freely..

But Nynaeve al'Meara. That woman she meant to make beg to be bound in her service. She would take her in the flesh, perhaps ask the Great Lord to grant her immortality, so Nynaeve could live forever to regret opposing Moghedien.

Nynaeve al'Meara, Elayne Trakand, and Birgitte. Those three she would find, and deal with. From the shadows, so that they would not know until too late. All three, without exception.

She vanished, and the banners waved on in the breeze of T'A'R.

Clearly, Moggy is no longer interested in Egwene; she has other priorities of revenge.

Edited by FarShainMael

So while we're on this topic, who is more advanced with Tel'aran'rhiod: Lanfear or Moghedian?

Moghedian always claimed to be better than Lanfear, and Birgitte made some remarks suggesting the same. Yet one cannot deny that Lanfear is adeptly skilled at prowling through Tel'aran'rhiod and enterring people's dreams. In ToM, for instance, she even gets into Rand's dreams despite his blocks when she appears to him as Cyndane. And as far as I'm concerned, Moghedian's skill never impressed me. She allowed herself to be collared with an a'dam; Egwene, who has been a Dreamwalker for a much shorter amount of time, realized that if she didn't accept an a'dam as true there, she wouldn't be collared by it when Mesaana tries to collar her. So if Egwene, who has been enterring Tel'aran'rhiod for maybe a year and a half or two years tops, and probably not even that long, can do that, then why couldn't Moghedian if she is supposed to be the female Forsaken with most knowledge of TAR.

I recall somewhere that Jordan or Sanderson mentioned there were at least two Forsaken, one male and one female, who were exceptionally well skilled at using TAR. The male is obviously Ishamael/Moridin, and I assumed the female was Lanfear, yet someone stated it was Moghedian.

So while we're on this topic, who is more advanced with Tel'aran'rhiod: Lanfear or Moghedian?

Well as you said Mogy thinks so and Birgitte's comments are pretty strong. Not sure who would be more of an expert on the matter than a Hero.

TSR Ch. 52

"Facing Moghedien is difficult, and not only because she is Forsaken. She hides and takes no risks. She attacks only where she sees weakness, and moves only in shadows. If she fears defeat, she will run; she is not one to fight to the last, even when doing so has the chance of victory. A chance is not enough for Moghedien. But do not take her lightly. She is a serpent coiled in high grass, waiting her own moment to strike, with less compassion than the snake. Especially here do not take her lightly. Lanfear always claimed Tel'aran'rhiod for her own, but Moghedien could do things here far beyond Lanfear, though she has not Lanfear's strength in the world of flesh. I think she would not take the risk of confronting Lanfear."

Edited by Suttree

We have to consider, Moghedien's much more brittle than Egwene. She's ill accustomed to being on the losing side, and she doesn't take pressure very well. Not to mention, Nynaeve might be a tougher rival than Mesaana, if measured by pure will-power.

In A Crown of Swords: Chapter 34 Ta'veren, Rand meets with the seafinders along with Min and some Aes Sedai to Bargain for his recognition as the Coramoor. Before heading into the cabin to discuss, Rand requires that Merana and Rafela be allowed to join him. The narration comments that he does not know why he chose Rafela, but most of the Aes Sedai appear to agree with the decision. I'm wondering why they think this way? Is there any reason Rafela was a better decision than any of the other Aes Sedai?

In A Crown of Swords: Chapter 34 Ta'veren, Rand meets with the seafinders along with Min and some Aes Sedai to Bargain for his recognition as the Coramoor. Before heading into the cabin to discuss, Rand requires that Merana and Rafela be allowed to join him. The narration comments that he does not know why he chose Rafela, but most of the Aes Sedai appear to agree with the decision. I'm wondering why they think this way? Is there any reason Rafela was a better decision than any of the other Aes Sedai?

I always thought they were referring more to the choice of Merana, not Rafela. Merana being of the Gray Ajah, specializing in negotiating and mediation.

I think all we really know of Rafela is that she is pretty strict about rules.

I think she's the strongest, excepting Bera and Kiruna. I might be mistaken, though.

EDIT: That's not it. The power scale goes (according to 13th depository's Linda):

Level 10: Bera Harkin, Kiruna Nachiman

Level 9: Faeldrin Harella, Masuri Sokawa, Rafela Cindal

Level 8: Alanna Mosvani, Merana Ambrey, Seonid Traighan, Verin Mathwin

(emboldened are the five present at the time).

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration age, but Rafela is actually rather young, not much older than Moiraine. Perhaps it's that she's Blue, and they were dealing with prophecies (Greens don't seem to be considered helpful in that situation). Don't know.

Edited by yoniy0

Ok I have a question.

I believe RJ said the Eye of the World was not used for its intended purpose. So do we know what it was used for?

Im convinced it was more significant than being just a pool of clean saidin placed on the Horn and banner. Aginor wanted the Eye, not the Horn. And the Dark One said he wanted to blind the Eye. Any ideas?

I think it unlocked Rands potential somehow. Like the memories, or the soul/thread recognition stuff.

Ok I have a question.

I believe RJ said the Eye of the World was not used for its intended purpose. So do we know what it was used for?

Im convinced it was more significant than being just a pool of clean saidin placed on the Horn and banner. Aginor wanted the Eye, not the Horn. And the Dark One said he wanted to blind the Eye. Any ideas?

I think it unlocked Rands potential somehow. Like the memories, or the soul/thread recognition stuff.

Well, I can't say you are wrong, but if RJ said wasn't used for it's purpose, yet Rand got it anyway, wouldn't that be using it for its purpose?

Besides the nitpick on words, my best guess is that it was to be used to Seal the DO again. I am not sure how this works, but if they managed to get a pure pool of saidin, wouldn't that mean it was separated somehow form the rest?

So by using this pool, it could prevent the "other" saidin from being tainted again, and only the Eye saidin would be tainted. Or, since it would be used up, nothing would be tainted.

I don't know if that works though.

Re: Moggy v Lanfear.

I think that Moggy probably knows more about TAR, and can do more complex things there (like Birgitte ripped out) but Lanfear is stronger and better at doing things in TAR.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Ok I have a question.

Well, I can't say you are wrong, but if RJ said wasn't used for it's purpose, yet Rand got it anyway, wouldn't that be using it for its purpose?

Besides the nitpick on words, my best guess is that it was to be used to Seal the DO again. I am not sure how this works, but if they managed to get a pure pool of saidin, wouldn't that mean it was separated somehow form the rest?

So by using this pool, it could prevent the "other" saidin from being tainted again, and only the Eye saidin would be tainted. Or, since it would be used up, nothing would be tainted.

I think that Moggy probably knows more about TAR, and can do more complex things there (like Birgitte ripped out) but Lanfear is stronger and better at doing things in TAR.

That is assuming they knew that Saidin would be cleansed in the first place.

On a side note, pretty much once every three pages rand thinks Saiden instead of Saidar in Lord of Chaos...

Ok I have a question.

That is assuming they knew that Saidin would be cleansed in the first place.

On a side note, pretty much once every three pages rand thinks Saiden instead of Saidar in Lord of Chaos...

I think Barid is right. One of the theories I like about the Sealing is the one that talks about using a Well of Saidin and a Well of Saidar so that the TS isn't tainted. I hadn't thought it before but maybe all this about the Eye of the World is forshadowing of that, or even the base that leads Rand or Min into the idea of using Wells.

And if you think about it, it would be easy for AoL ASs to know that Saidin would be cleansed, since they knew that time is ciclyc and in their Era Saidin was clean.

Edited by Naggash

I guess that makes sense, but they still have 4 other ages to cleanse it in. Also, do they know the seals will weaken, requiring the same bore to be resealed? Was it know that the patch was imperfect?

Edited by Knivy

I think she's the strongest, excepting Bera and Kiruna. I might be mistaken, though.

EDIT: That's not it. The power scale goes (according to 13th depository's Linda):

Level 10: Bera Harkin, Kiruna Nachiman

Level 9: Faeldrin Harella, Masuri Sokawa, Rafela Cindal

Level 8: Alanna Mosvani, Merana Ambrey, Seonid Traighan, Verin Mathwin

(emboldened are the five present at the time).

Of course, this doesn't take into consideration age, but Rafela is actually rather young, not much older than Moiraine. Perhaps it's that she's Blue, and they were dealing with prophecies (Greens don't seem to be considered helpful in that situation). Don't know.

How is this measuring power? By strength in the One Power? And if so, do higher levels (e.g. Level 10) indicate higher performance/strength, or do lower levels (e.g. Level 1)? Where can a full list of this sort be found?

How is this measuring power? By strength in the One Power? And if so, do higher levels (e.g. Level 10) indicate higher performance/strength, or do lower levels (e.g. Level 1)? Where can a full list of this sort be found?

Higher is better, and here.

I guess that makes sense, but they still have 4 other ages to cleanse it in. Also, do they know the seals will weaken, requiring the same bore to be resealed? Was it know that the patch was imperfect?

Maybe they had some Prediction made by an AS?

But as I see it, it's not necessary that they did it for a specific purpose. Think about it, if you live in the AoL and suddenly Saidin is tainted and you know that the Seal is somehow flawed (I suppose this would not be hard to tell for them since they had seen the "original" Prision; or one of the Hundred Companions said it; or they could just 'see' it from the tainting), the first think you do is secure a portion of Saidin without taint in case it is needed. And maybe they didn't know in which Era, but they knew that eventually it would be needed, for the greatest achievemts are always with both Saidin and Saidar.

I personally think they knew the Prision was flawed and that Saidin would be needed to 'repair' it, and they made the EotW for that purpose. As you said, they wouldn't know in which Era would the Seals weaken or in which Era would the Saidin be cleansed so in case it wasn't cleansed in time they made it.

Maybe even a female could have used it. This is just my thoughts but I think they thought that if Saidin wasn't cleansed in time there wouldn't be male channelers available and through the Well a female could be able to channel it through 'conducts' of Saidar, like when Rand cleans the taint.

Guest Sheath the Sword

Question: Probably already covered somewhere on here, but what are people's thoughts about the significance of Nakomi and the strange things that happened while Avi was talking to her? Who is she, why is she talking to Avi, does she have strange powers, etc. Seems mostly unexplained in the text at any rate.

tEotW "The Traveling People"

"Something they learned in the Blight," Elyas mused. "But none of it makes sense. Slay the Great Serpent? Kill time itself? And blind the Eye of the World? As well say he's going to starve a rock. Maybe she was babbling, Raen. Wounded, dying, she could have lost her grip on what was real. Maybe she didn't even know who the Tuatha'an were."

"She knew what she was saying, and to whom she was saying it. Something more important to her than her own life, and we cannot even understand it. When I saw you walking into our camp, I thought perhaps we would find the answer at last, since you were" - Elyas made a quick motion with his hand, and Raen changed what he had been going to say - "are a friend, and know many strange things."

Why did Elyas shush him?

Thanks.

tEotW "The Traveling People"

"Something they learned in the Blight," Elyas mused. "But none of it makes sense. Slay the Great Serpent? Kill time itself? And blind the Eye of the World? As well say he's going to starve a rock. Maybe she was babbling, Raen. Wounded, dying, she could have lost her grip on what was real. Maybe she didn't even know who the Tuatha'an were."

"She knew what she was saying, and to whom she was saying it. Something more important to her than her own life, and we cannot even understand it. When I saw you walking into our camp, I thought perhaps we would find the answer at last, since you were" - Elyas made a quick motion with his hand, and Raen changed what he had been going to say - "are a friend, and know many strange things."

Why did Elyas shush him?

Thanks.

Was about to say that Elyas was a warder.

Ok I have a question.

I believe RJ said the Eye of the World was not used for its intended purpose.

I don't believe he said that. Moiraine speculated that its intended purpose might have actually been to hide the things, so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I have two questions...neither one specifically dealing with content.

1. When aMoL is finally published, will the Kindle version be released at the same time as the hardback version? I will not be in a geographical location with access to just released books - but can use the internet to d/l the kindle version.

2. I've read a few comments here and there about outrigger novels. Is there more info on this possibility?

I have two questions...neither one specifically dealing with content.

1. When aMoL is finally published, will the Kindle version be released at the same time as the hardback version? I will not be in a geographical location with access to just released books - but can use the internet to d/l the kindle version.

2. I've read a few comments here and there about outrigger novels. Is there more info on this possibility?

1. There has been a delay usually between the hardback and kindle version. Harriet has a somewhat archaic view on e-books.

2. The Outriggers had to do with Mat and Tuon post TG going back to to reclaim Seanchan.

tom doherty

BIGGIE! The Seanchan will not be wrapped up by Tarmon Gai'don, and the three "outrigger" novels Robert Jordan wanted to do would be Mat and Tuon going back over to Seanchan and tying that up. And, before you ask, no one has even thought about whether or not Brandon will write those as well, along with Harriet, but in the Team Jordan Panel, it was said that they haven't ruled it out, either. Tom did say he has the contract for these novels already and intends on seeing them safely to our hands.

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/other/index.html

There are many other quotes on this if you search the Q&A database at Theoryland. At this point it looks like a huge longshot that will we get either the Outriggers or Prequels.