DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

IIRC Siuan and Leanne were able to hold Moggy with the adam when they were stilled. Not sure if they were able to weave the OP through her but if they did then it brings out a possibility for the Seachan to continue to use Suldam and Damne. Spark the Suldam then still her and let her do her job. This way they not have to worry about the Suldam channelling.

But since damane are much more valuable than suldam, the Seanchan would probably want to collar any sparked suldam.

IIRC Siuan and Leanne were able to hold Moggy with the adam when they were stilled. Not sure if they were able to weave the OP through her but if they did then it brings out a possibility for the Seachan to continue to use Suldam and Damne. Spark the Suldam then still her and let her do her job. This way they not have to worry about the Suldam channelling.

But since damane are much more valuable than suldam, the Seanchan would probably want to collar any sparked suldam.

Well they won't have any suldam then. My idea is what they could do once they find out that their suldam can learn to channel as they are now. Once they are all stilled they do not have to worry about the Suldam channeling anymore and they could still use the Damane,

Edited by XXX47

Well they won't have any suldam then. My idea is what they could do once they find out that their suldam can learn to channel as they are now. Once they are all stilled they do not have to worry about the Suldam channeling anymore and they could still use the Damane,

The weasel is in the Seanchan chicken yard! They're gonna have to evolve and come to terms with the knowledge that Suldam can learn to channel. Whether they follow the Stalin route or another route is a different matter.

Just wondering: Is the a'dam is a ter'angreal that uses the same technique of the "forced circle" torture method used by the Black Ajah?

It is a type of ter'angreal, yes. Though I don't remember reading about any forced circle used by the BA. I thought other than with an a'dam, one cannot be forced to link.

I'm pretty sure there is a "forced circle" torture technique by the Black Ajah. But, atm, I cannot remember where the reference is

We hear about the 'forced circles' when Seaine and Co. coerce Talene into withdrawing the BA Oaths in KoD.

However, stating that the a'dam is a ter'angreal with equivalent functions of a 'forced circle' is problematic.

That is, not only can the sul'dam seldom not see the weaves or know them for what they are, the sul'dam cannot even touch the True Source. The only ability they have through the bracelet is the ability to know the status of their damane, but also the ability to compulse feelings (mainly uncomfortable ones to be used as behavioristic controls) which makes it more akin to the traditional Warder bond (with the bracelet holder being the AS).

We hear about the 'forced circles' when Seaine and Co. coerce Talene into withdrawing the BA Oaths in KoD.

It was also in the first edition glossary of ACOS (though it was removed in later editions), it was hinted at in TPOD by Moridin (involuntary rings, though some thought that referred to the a'dam), and the study of forced linking that Sareitha mentioned (also in TPOD) was mentioned in RJ's notes.

Siuan and Leane were lucky it would seem. When Setalle Anan wore an a'dam with Joline back in book 7 I think but may have been 8? they both had the adverse reaction.

Furthermore, Siuan and Leane weren't able to use it to cause pain or to weave the OP, essentially it served no better purpose than it had before i.e. stopping the damane from channeling (although I suppose it allowed her to move).

Siuan and Leane were lucky it would seem. When Setalle Anan wore an a'dam with Joline back in book 7 I think but may have been 8? they both had the adverse reaction.

Furthermore, Siuan and Leane weren't able to use it to cause pain or to weave the OP, essentially it served no better purpose than it had before i.e. stopping the damane from channeling (although I suppose it allowed her to move).

thats because there is a difference between burning out (Setalle) and stilling (Leane Siuan).

If you're severed, you can still sense the Source. If you're burned out, you can't even sense it. Egwene thought they were two different terms for the same thing, but she didn't know what she was talking about.

Edited by Terez

No Setalle was telling Mat about how it was like knowing that there were your favorite cookies there, but you couldn't have any more. I don't have a quote, but i would appreciate one.

It is as everyone says, you can not sense the source if you are burned out.

There is a good article about her here...

http://13depository.blogspot.com/2002/03/importance-of-setalle-anan.html

Edited by Suttree

No Setalle was telling Mat about how it was like knowing that there were your favorite cookies there, but you couldn't have any more. I don't have a quote, but i would appreciate one.

well using the cookie analogy

burning out = knowing the cookies are there, but not seeing them and knowing you can't have any

stilling = seeing the cookies are there, but not being able to have any... even though its right in front of you

In Book 3, why did Rand kill that woman?

I understand she was a DF, yada, yada...but he just OFFS her, and in every single other situation in the series he HATES killing women, In Book 5, he can't even bring himself to kill Lanfear - and she was a FORSAKEN - and Moiraine ''died'' for it. ... So what was up with him killing that woman in Book 3?

Fish

Because he was insane? It's been suggested that he's almost as whacko in TDR as he is in TGS(albeit in a very different way). He doesn't seem to have much trouble killing women in TGS.

Other than that, I really couldn't say. But that's what I always thought.

He never liked killing women, but he didn't start going really crazy over it until he started remembering Ilyena. At that point he became a little desperate to prove to himself that he wasn't as bad as the Kinslayer. In TDR, he knew he was being hunted, and had a good idea that the woman was a Darkfriend. Crazy enough to kill her on a hunch, but not yet crazy because of Lews Therin's memories.