DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Question: Was Ishamael free just before, during, or just after the Aiel War?
Ishamael was free for at least 3 years. Moiraine got that from Fain and told it to the Two Rivers folk near the end of Eye of World.

Thank you. It'd slipped my mind.

No worries, yeah Ishy was not happy to hear about the BA killing male channelers and the events surrounding "the vileness".

A couple of corrections.

The BA were not killing male channelers, they were killing "lucky" males. The Red Ajah were the ones killing male channelers. The two were very much separate from each other.

Not so much the events, plural but the event, singular. Namely, the death of Sierin Vayu and he was not happy about it only because he thought someone in the Black had done something without his permission. He was assured the Black had nothing to so with it and they didn't...not directly and not as a whole. As it turns out, Chesmal Emry, a Black, did in fact manipulate the Reds into killing Sierin but she did that on her own and not on any Black Ajah orders.

Either way, Ishamael has been "free" at least since 982 NE and maybe even 981 NE according to Jain Farstrider's timeline.

Edited by Finnssss

I own the audiobook of ToM, which doesn't include the glossary. Does anyone know if there is a legal e-book verion that is free, or do I have to buy the whole book to get access to it?

Well, there's this. I think it's legal. Actually, I have no idea, I just assume the wiki project is 'on-the-level' enough not to do it otherwise.

Or this. Which was approved by Maria. And I try not to make assumptions about the Wiki any more. Recently Peter threw a fit because someone had scraped the Wiki and tried to sell Brandon's blog posts we had mirrored there. Something about the license the Wiki uses allows everything on it to be published commercially.

Edited by Terez

Was it ever explained how rhuidean was protected? Like the barrier that kept people from entering too many times and forbade entering in TAR? It would have to be an object since the standing flows no longer work right?

Was it ever explained how rhuidean was protected? Like the barrier that kept people from entering too many times and forbade entering in TAR? It would have to be an object since the standing flows no longer work right?

Nope, hasn't been explained.

We don't know if it was Ward or if it was an actual device. Arguments can be made for either.

Ward can survive the people who created them, like the wards on Callandor did.

Ward can survive the people who created them, like the wards on Callandor did.

was the barrier why people couldnt enter too many times or was it the aiel traditions that did

Probably just Aiel customs and laws, since it didn't seem to be any kind of physical obstruction, and there would have to be some link between the permission and the shield for it to be otherwise, and that just doesn't make sense by the mechanics of warding.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has helped answer the questions I've had so far. I appreciate it.

I have another question. In the interviews, someone asks about the vision Min has for Lan...

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=96

...I don't know if that link works, but it's in the theoryland interview database. RJ confirmed that Min's viewings always predict the future, and my question is: do you think the vision of Lan with the seven towers around him has been fulfilled by him raising the army, will be fulfilled amidst AMoL, or is it near-guaruntee that Lan will survive despite all odds?

I do have one question that no matter how much a re-read I can find an answer to. What the hell happened to Else Grinwell? We know she was sent home for shirking her duties and stuff, but why was she acting so weird around Mat the day he whooped the wonder-brothers in the training yard? I know Lanfear was using her image as a disguise, but when she came across Mat outside the Tower she definitely wasn't acting like Lanfear, which I believe was the same day she delivered the supposed message from Siuan to Eggy and them. But it was revealed she was sent home weeks earlier, so why was she still there when Mat bumped into her? Was she a darkfriend or under Compulsion? If it was Lanfear still in disguise, I think she would've acted more normally since they both like to flirt and stuff to avoid suspicion. I dunno, I'm lost on this. I just wanna know one thing....

What in the flaming light is up with Else Grinwell?

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has helped answer the questions I've had so far. I appreciate it.

I have another question. In the interviews, someone asks about the vision Min has for Lan...

http://www.theorylan...tvmain.php?i=96

...I don't know if that link works, but it's in the theoryland interview database. RJ confirmed that Min's viewings always predict the future, and my question is: do you think the vision of Lan with the seven towers around him has been fulfilled by him raising the army, will be fulfilled amidst AMoL, or is it near-guaruntee that Lan will survive despite all odds?

forfilled in ToM when he raised the standard of the Golden Crane. The first time he acknowledged his place as the rightful leader of the Malkieri.

I thought it was Aiel traditions.

They said they will die. It seemed to me people who had tried in the past never returned. Sure they might just be wrong, but if it was just a ward, why couldn't Asomedan just walk into it not in TAR? Can wards be created to keep some and not all people out of something?

He could and he has. Nothing stopped people from entering too many times; it just wasn't done (I always assumed those who tried died, so the Aiel stopped doing it).

Regarding Else, it's possible that Lanfear knew nothing of Mat's familiarity with the girl, and didn't want to expose herself. Considering that what she did also gained her his suspicion, I would also propose that it might've been Mesaana, before she settled on a better disguise.

He could and he has. Nothing stopped people from entering too many times; it just wasn't done (I always assumed those who tried died, so the Aiel stopped doing it).

Regarding Else, it's possible that Lanfear knew nothing of Mat's familiarity with the girl, and didn't want to expose herself. Considering that what she did also gained her his suspicion, I would also propose that it might've been Mesaana, before she settled on a better disguise.

It's not assumed, it's said by Wise Ones a number of times That you would die entering more than the allotted amount of times. Asmodan entered it in the real world? Where did you get that from?

It's not assumed, it's said by Wise Ones a number of times That you would die entering more than the allotted amount of times. Asmodan entered it in the real world? Where did you get that from?

At that time, the only reason one would have to enter would be either as a possible Clan Chief going to pass through the Columns or as a possible Wiseone going first to the Rings and then a second time to the Columns.

It wasn't about the barrier, it was about what they would do upon entering.

The Barrier itself, whether it was a Ward or Ter'angreal created/maintained couldn't be entered in TAR, that was a fact.

When Rand chased Asmo while skimming in chapter 58, they both arrived just outside of the Barrier, then entered.

Yeah, I've said the same for years, and I even asked Erica Sadun about this report because I thought she might possibly have been suffering from confirmation bias in the wording of that answer, since everyone apparently believed it was Lanfear.

It's not assumed, it's said by Wise Ones a number of times That you would die entering more than the allotted amount of times.

Where?

When Rand and co. first meet the WO, I think, they say that a man may only enter Rhuidean once, a woman twice; any more, and death finds you. But:

• They weren't speaking of actually entering Rhuidean, they meant the ter'angreal, I think. Clearly, if a woman could pass through the unnatural cloud cover twice, then so can a man (besides, Rand entered it twice, before it was broken). The only reason one would have to enter Rhuidean more than the alloted number of times would've been to enter one of the ter'angreal again. And that could've been fatal enough times to make them believe it's necessarily so. Which one? My thoughts are, perhaps those people couldn't face the future Aviendha has, or perhaps she would've died as well had she not tuned the columns before the second time. I'm assuming the rings ter'angeral doesn't do anything special the second time around, and a man would simply never enter it, so they're not speaking of it.
  • The Ward was around the city itself, not around the ter'angreal. And that, Asmodean entered just fine (which is what I meant).

So, you see, I don't think the Ward had anything to do with the reason why going to Rhuidean more times than you were allowed used to be fatal.

Edited by yoniy0