DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

When Rand and co. first meet the WO, I think, they say that a man may only enter Rhuidean once, a woman twice; any more, and death finds you. But:

• They weren't speaking of actually entering Rhuidean, they meant the ter'angreal, I think. Clearly, if a woman could pass through the unnatural cloud cover twice, then so can a man (besides, Rand entered it twice, before it was broken). The only reason one would have to enter Rhuidean more than the alloted number of times would've been to enter one of the ter'angreal again. And that could've been fatal enough times to make them believe it's necessarily so. Which one? My thoughts are, perhaps those people couldn't face the future Aviendha has, or perhaps she would've died as well had she not tuned the columns before the second time. I'm assuming the rings ter'angeral doesn't do anything special the second time around, and a man would simply never enter it, so they're not speaking of it.
  • The Ward was around the city itself, not around the ter'angreal. And that, Asmodean entered just fine (which is what I meant).

So, you see, I don't think the Ward had anything to do with the reason why going to Rhuidean more times than you were allowed used to be fatal.

Not sure if calling what was around the City a Ward is the right word.

Barrier seems more befitting as we don't know if the barrier was in fact a weaved Ward that was dissipated when Rand and Asmo used an exorbitant amount of the Power or was maintained through a Dreamspike like Ter'angreal that was destroyed or damaged during Rand and Asmo's fighting.

There was just a question on this. Prolly best to just keep it straight and avoid confusion right ;)

Edited by Finnssss

When Rand and co. first meet the WO, I think, they say that a man may only enter Rhuidean once, a woman twice; any more, and death finds you. But:

• They weren't speaking of actually entering Rhuidean, they meant the ter'angreal, I think. Clearly, if a woman could pass through the unnatural cloud cover twice, then so can a man (besides, Rand entered it twice, before it was broken). The only reason one would have to enter Rhuidean more than the alloted number of times would've been to enter one of the ter'angreal again. And that could've been fatal enough times to make them believe it's necessarily so. Which one? My thoughts are, perhaps those people couldn't face the future Aviendha has, or perhaps she would've died as well had she not tuned the columns before the second time. I'm assuming the rings ter'angeral doesn't do anything special the second time around, and a man would simply never enter it, so they're not speaking of it.
  • The Ward was around the city itself, not around the ter'angreal. And that, Asmodean entered just fine (which is what I meant).

So, you see, I don't think the Ward had anything to do with the reason why going to Rhuidean more times than you were allowed used to be fatal.

Not sure if calling what was around the City a Ward is the right word.

Barrier seems more befitting as we don't know if the barrier was in fact a weaved Ward that was dissipated when Rand and Asmo used an exorbitant amount of the Power or was maintained through a Dreamspike like Ter'angreal that was destroyed or damaged during Rand and Asmo's fighting.

Either way, Lanfear said it was 'shielded', which we know from Rand means the same thing as 'warded'. Whether it was placed there by a person/circle or maintainted by a ter'angreal, the terminology still works.

Either way, Lanfear said it was 'shielded', which we know from Rand means the same thing as 'warded'. Whether it was placed there by a person/circle or maintainted by a ter'angreal, the terminology still works.

For sure, to people who understand the terminology but it can cause confusion for those that don't.

Like, you wouldn't call the shield or barrier that the Dreamspike produces a Ward right, know what I mean?

Meh, maybe technically you could, I don't know, just trying to avoid confusion.

Edited by Finnssss

Siuan and Leane were stilled, then healed. When they were stilled, they were returned to "prime, child-bearing age". Since they have been healed, they will slow again, albeit to a lesser extend due to their relative weakness in the Power.

Question: does this provide a key to channeler's immortality? Could repeated stilling and healing continually restore channelers to their prime, granting them (with slowing) another 2-3 hundred years? No that anyone would choose to do it, anyway, but the thought just occured to me.

Siuan and Leane were stilled, then healed. When they were stilled, they were returned to "prime, child-bearing age". Since they have been healed, they will slow again, albeit to a lesser extend due to their relative weakness in the Power.

Question: does this provide a key to channeler's immortality? Could repeated stilling and healing continually restore channelers to their prime, granting them (with slowing) another 2-3 hundred years? No that anyone would choose to do it, anyway, but the thought just occured to me.

I doubt it. I think the age their returned too is relative to where they where in their channelling lifespan

What do Aes Sedai get out of the deal from bonding a Warder? (Besides using the Warder's energy)

They get awesome bodyguards who save their lives many times during their service.

Edited by Theodril

I wouldn't be surprised if the warderbond contributes to longevity. I don't remember any Red among the older Aes Sedai.

yeah, or maybe that was just cuz they were bitter old b****es, and it festered and killed them. I've not seen any reds that didn't meet that criteria, either. ;)

Really, I thought that drawing strength from the warders was the hidden perk. I don't think any non-AS know about it, while we see talk about the other stuff pretty freely.

I wouldn't be surprised if the warderbond contributes to longevity. I don't remember any Red among the older Aes Sedai.

The Aes Sedai in the AoL lived far, far longer than the oldest Aes Sedai, and they didn't have the Warder bond.

There is no evidence to suggest the Bond does anything for long life. At least, it doesn't make a huge difference. There are many old Reds. True, the oldest have been Blue, Green and old Verin (I don't know what you would class her, she is not exactly your average brown or black). But I don't think there is any noticeable difference. Nothing to suggest that Reds live shorter lives, nobody has commented on it.

They keep it quiet because they can drain their Warders dry and kill them. Plus the compulsion-like qualities of bending them to their will.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Reading another topic, another question ocurred to me.

Elayne/Adviendha/Min also provide circles of Light (food not spoiling, etc)? Does this provide a practical cause for his having the harem--that the four zones, together, can provide enough breathing room for the light side to fight, win, and recover?

yeah, or maybe that was just cuz they were bitter old b****es, and it festered and killed them. I've not seen any reds that didn't meet that criteria, either. ;)

Silviana wasn't that way. She was the 1st red I actually liked.

Well yeah, I'm not saying she is without some of their mannerisms, but she isn't the wicked witch type that most other reds were made out to be. She's a red and has been for who knows how long(I don't know her age), so of course some things have been instilled into her, but you have to agree, as far as reds go, she's pretty level-headed and objective. She could have turned out a lot worse. Can you name any other Reds that would have taken Eggy's side against Elaida in the current situation?

Actually, Tarna was on board with realizing Elaida was a horrible mistake. She just didn't know Egwene well enough to take her seriously (Elayne and Nynaeve were still girls last she saw them; she had no reason to suspect Egwene might be mature enough to be AS. Truth be told, Egwene still struggles in some areas). Also, there's Pevara, she's pretty awesome.

Yes, true, I'd overlooked them. but note that they are the exception, not the rule. I do have hope, though. With the changes coming to the Red, it opens the way for those AS, and others like them, to take a leadership role post-TG.

Edited by Sephie

What's really interesting about this is, I think, does Alanna do the same? If she does, then the Bond explains it. Otherwise, I really don't know what's going on with that.

That raises the question of max # of people who can bond Rand at once. Very interesting.

sorry about double-posting. how (besides learning the code string) can I quote while editing?

Yes, true, I'd overlooked them. but note that they are the exception, not the rule. I do have hope, though. With the changes coming to the Red, it opens the way for those AS, and others like them, to take a leadership role post-TG.

There is also the Red that swore to Rand in Cairhien, Sashelle (I think). She was dedicated to Rand despite being free of the 3 oaths.

IIRC Siuan and Leanne were able to hold Moggy with the adam when they were stilled. Not sure if they were able to weave the OP through her but if they did then it brings out a possibility for the Seachan to continue to use Suldam and Damne. Spark the Suldam then still her and let her do her job. This way they not have to worry about the Suldam channelling.