DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

What book did Avi un-weave a gateway?

Factions are temporarily out of commission at Theoryland, or I would have started this one already:

We believe that the minor detail mentioned by Brandon (comparable to a certain spoilery detail from Mistborn) that was introduced in books 4-6' date=' that will 'save the day' in Towers of Midnight, is Mat's hat. Brandon almost said that the 'detail' had been present in every book since, but then he apparently remembered that Mat was not in The Path of Daggers at all, so he corrected himself, saying 'books and books'. Mat got the hat in book 4, taken from the head of a Darkfriend and sold to him for a gold crown by Lanfear. In book 5, Egwene had a dream of Mat throwing dice with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, while Thom pulled a blue stone out of a fire (clear reference to the Ghenjei rescue due in Towers of Midnight). In book 6, it was suggested that, so long as Mat wore the hat, nothing could kill him. Further speculation is that the hat might be protecting Mat's head, preventing the 'Finns from knowing he is coming. Also, it is a good bloody hat.[/quote']

Just for fun.   ;)

You know, given The Thing, I think this is actually a very viable theory. I hope it's wrong though.. I love it when the author is able to surprise us with something that no one was able to think of at all.

Mod Edit: No Mistborn Spoiling!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

could it be Mat wearing armour or something, maybe he finds cuendillar armour.

If it is the hat, as some one pointed out, a DF had it and Lanfear gave it to Mat.  Let's remember that Lanfear was playing her own game at that time, so, who knows

i dont remember mat wearing armor - so i can't see that as being relevant.

It doesn't have to be a Finder.  Although, as the Forsaken continually note, the AS of the present time don't know half of what they could do, so it might just be that Moiraine didn't know how to weave one that would last on anything but metal.

I'd think that Lanfear would have a whole arsenal of weaves she could spin into a hat.

Something that seemed important at the time, gets mentioned a lot in the books, but has never really seemed to have all that much of an effect on anything and hasn't really been talked about much on the boards... I keep coming back to Alanna bonding Rand as a warder.  It fits all of those criteria.

The problem is that I can't come up with a way for it to become important in the next book. 

Didn't Mat acquire a knife made of Bronze or something in one of those books? I'm not certain but I seem to vaguely recall something like that. It'd be cheatin' takin' it into the ToG but technically legal within "Finnland" as it wouldn't be IRON. Thus cheating at playing Snakes and Foxes.

I might be totally delusional about this.

Didn't Mat acquire a knife made of Bronze or something in one of those books? I'm not certain but I seem to vaguely recall something like that. It'd be cheatin' takin' it into the ToG but technically legal within "Finnland" as it wouldn't be IRON. Thus cheating at playing Snakes and Foxes.

I might be totally delusional about this.

Actually I think that was Avienda, She found a knife in the ter'angrel that she thought would open something. She still has it. Mat needs that to open the ToG according to Olver. he said Birgette told him the tower can be opened with a knife key (bronze dagger).

Avienda has the dagger key to get in to ToG, so she will meet up with Mat somehow.

Aludra gives Mat matches = Fire to blind

Olver or Mat has a harmonica somewhere in their pocession although I cannot remember which book that is listed. = music to dazzle.

Maybe Avienda's braclet (hand cuffs)is iron to bind?

Could fit.

Forkroot is my last guess.  We first see it in A signal in TFOH.  It has gotten to the tower and the Seachan.  The shadow probably has it by now as well.  Maybe that is what those farmers in the blight were doing.  Did I mention I am certain that is important....whatever it is?

This is one of the more interesting ideas I have seen on here.  Nice

I always assumed Rand stored those things. But since this is never confirmed, who knows? Maybe it got taken by someone, or maybe Rand sent it to TV or to the SAS at some point? But I think we would have heard about it. My guess is Rand has them stored, maybe in his university or one of the palaces, or maybe its still sitting in plane sight but covered in wards *shrugs*

Perhaps they are being studied by top man.  TOP men.

Could this be referring to the school that Rand set up at Barthamanes' old mansion?

The last big tour of it that he did was in LoC (book 6), and it was started around book 4 or 5 I believe, and not really mentioned much since. The school had all the technology like printing presses, combine harvesters, and steam engines which might be quite significant going into the 4th age...

When was the bowl of the winds used?  As i recall (most likely wrong) that their use of the bowl was imperfect--the one power was somehow strained.  We know that the weather was unatural to begin with (that's why they used the bowl in the first place), but perhaps the weather after using the bowl was caused/exacerbated by whatever was done when they used the bowl and that odd thing occurred. 

we know the weather problems have been touched on since that time and demonstrated throughout the narrative of the books since then, but i do not recall seeing many posts discussing the cause/ramifications.

The Dark One, not Rand, has been affecting the weather.  This is from Moridin's POV, Chapter 2 of Path of Daggers, after being informed of the  Bowl of the Winds:

He seized the True Power without thought, the saa billowing black across his sight. His fingers tightened in the wrought-iron grille across the window; the metal groaned, twisting, not from his grip but from the tendrils of the True Power, drawn from the Great Lord himself, that wreathed around the grillework, flexing as he flexed his hand in anger. The Great Lord would not be pleased. He had strained from his prison to touch the world enough to fix the seasons in place. He was impatient to touch the world more, to shatter the void that contained him, and he would not be pleased.

Your quote brings up a very interesting fact--the DO is imprisoned in a VOID.  This touches on the vacuole discussion and what Rand can do to seal him away again.  thoughts?

What about the ashandari (SP? Mat's spear thing)? He learns from someone (Lan?) that the metal is power made (never needs sharpening), but it was obviously custom made for him due the the message set on the haft. Can the *finn make objects of the power? If not where did they get the metal from? Maybe they got the whole thing from some previous entrant and just added the message on the haft? If I were to guess about something that is being carried around is important (inline with The Thing) this would be it. Any other thoughts on how this could be important?

Mod Edit: Mistborn Spoilers

First time posting here, but I just had to chime in with what I think it is. Perhaps this has been discussed before, but it always seemed to me that the oddness with the weather (which began in the 4th book if I'm not mistaken) is more linked to Rand than to the Dark One. So this could be something that has been going on in the background this whole time, with everyone blaming the Dark One. Now that Rand is no longer trying to force himself to be "hard" perhaps we will see the weather issues going away. This is backed up (at least a little) by the break in the clouds after his revelation on Dragonmount. There's also the whole thing about the Dragon being one with the land or whatever Thom says in Rand's dream in EotW. Perhaps the food spoilage is also a result of Rand's mental state. By all means shoot this down if there is evidence to the contrary, I have only started frequenting forums recently, so I am not as well versed as some of you, and could be way off.

This is most definitely tied to Rand. Rand is the Fisher King (Moridin is quite specific about this actually). Lots of parallels between the Fisher King and Rand including the various objects of power that were associated with the Fisher King. This can't be the secret that BS is talking about though because there's an article in the WOT FAQ specifically about this (I know, I wrote it).

http://www.steelypips.org/wotfaq/0_admin/0.01_intro.html

Mat's hat may or may not be important by itself, but it's definitely a clue to his identity. Mat is an Odin archetype (complete with spear, soon to be missing eye, hanging from a tree in the quest of knowledge, ravens, etc., etc., etc.). Odin is almost always portrayed with a wide-brimmed hat as he travels to and fro.

But I don't know how this could be it because it's been thoroughly discusses as well (unless BS never read rasfwr-j) and is also included in the WOT-FAQ.

Now I'm going to have to go back and re-read books 4-6 to try and spot whatever it is.

Brandon comments that there is something that begins in books 4-6 that went completely unnoticed by fans as far as he can tell, which is a big deal--bigger than the death of Asmodean. Though it first appeared in books 4-6 it has been mentioned in later books. Or rather it has 'continued' in later books. Here are his words on it.

"Luca" a Da'Shain Aiel in Rand's Rhuidean visions of the past (tSR book), was re-born as a Hero once again, as "Valan Luca" (tFoH).

Valan Luca is the best candidate being the 3rd person to go with Thom and Mat to attempt to "save" Moiraine from the Eelfin, via the Tower of Ghenjei. Not Noal.

That detail is, Valan Luca is a Hero.

Luca "saved" females from kidnappers as a Da'Shain Aiel and was cast out for killing the evil doers with a stick, a spear.  In this Age, Valan Luca has already attempted to "save" a missing Nynaeve in the chaotic warring town of Samara, between the Prophet, White Cloaks forces (tFoH,Ch40).

It's not a coincidence that Luca shows extreme courage, in the very chapter Mat learns of Moiraine's letter from Thom. It's not a coincidence that both Luca dress, and actions express traits of Da'Shain Aiel; nor is it an accident that Valan Luca has attracted Uno, Cerandin, and Aludra. That's what Hero's do, help fix (aid or right) the Pattern, in Brandon's own words. And Valan Luca's actions have helped right Mat, Tuon, Nynaeve, and Elayne's paths along the Pattern for the Light.

Valan Luca also has stories of Shara, he has yet to tell Elayne, and she mentions wanting to listening to them at another time in the future (tFoH). Well, Valan Luca will finally get a chance to tell those stories.

That besides being able to tell Elayne, Birgitte what exactly is happening within Murandy and Lugard now. Murandy is a big question mark at this point in time as well.  

-------------------------------------------------

How Verin's letter and "Bargained Compromise" with Mat, effects Valan Luca

Luca now has enough time to get to Caemlyn, before Mat leaves Caemlyn for the Tower of Ghenjei, in "The Towers of Midnight". That much is a solid bet, based on quotes for KoD & tGS books, and Luca's expressed destinations.

Without Verin's letter holding Mat in Caemlyn it would be a wildcard, but ten days to thirty days (tGS pg.558) is more than enough time for Luca to get to Caemlyn to see Mat, Elayne and Birgitte; especially considering Luca was off screen for all of tGS book.

Valan Luca's role is most likely that unnoticed Thing.  

Hmm...also interesting how Valan Luca shows up in Ebou Dar while Mat is busy lying under a wall in tPoD just in time for Mat and Co. to eacape with the show, ultimately sealing the fate of his marriage and sending him on a course toward the Tower of Ghengi.

EDIT: The "Luca-Valan Luca" connection certainly qualifies for a head-smacker. I really need to re-read the Rhuidean chapter.

This one's got my vote for Best Theory Concocted So Far For The Unnoticed Thing, although the hat theory still gets my vote for Creepiest If True.

Brandon comments that there is something that begins in books 4-6 that went completely unnoticed by fans as far as he can tell, which is a big deal--bigger than the death of Asmodean. Though it first appeared in books 4-6 it has been mentioned in later books. Or rather it has 'continued' in later books. Here are his words on it.

"Luca" a Da'Shain Aiel in Rand's Rhuidean visions of the past (tSR book), was re-born as a Hero once again, as "Valan Luca" (tFoH).

Valan Luca is the best candidate being the 3rd person to go with Thom and Mat to attempt to "save" Moiraine from the Eelfin, via the Tower of Ghenjei. Not Noal.

That detail is, Valan Luca is a Hero.

Luca "saved" females from kidnappers as a Da'Shain Aiel and was cast out for killing the evil doers with a stick, a spear.  In this Age, Valan Luca has already attempted to "save" a missing Nynaeve in the chaotic warring town of Samara, between the Prophet, White Cloaks forces (tFoH,Ch40).

It's not a coincidence that Luca shows extreme courage, in the very chapter Mat learns of Moiraine's letter from Thom. It's not a coincidence that both Luca dress, and actions express traits of Da'Shain Aiel; nor is it an accident that Valan Luca has attracted Uno, Cerandin, and Aludra. That's what Hero's do, help fix (aid or right) the Pattern, in Brandon's own words. And Valan Luca's actions have helped right Mat, Tuon, Nynaeve, and Elayne's paths along the Pattern for the Light.

Valan Luca also has stories of Shara, he has yet to tell Elayne, and she mentions wanting to listening to them at another time in the future (tFoH). Well, Valan Luca will finally get a chance to tell those stories.

That besides being able to tell Elayne, Birgitte what exactly is happening within Murandy and Lugard now. Murandy is a big question mark at this point in time as well.  

-------------------------------------------------

You say Luca is the best candidate, and the only reason you gave was that they shared a name.

I guess Bayle Domon is a Hero too?  Egeanin have helped people too, so I guess she's one.

I think the past age Luca is Perrin, because they both have courage and big shoulders.

BS is making us all go crazy.

These are items in posts up to 138 from theory land that have been ruled out, as stated earlier in this post, i listed them on lunch break

Moggy creating Bridgette

Lilwein Shipless

Egwene’s Use of need in TAR

Nynaeve and Elyane using Need in TAR

Fel talking with Rand

Farstrider in Grendals lair

The Tinker’s Song

Message in blood from the Tinkers to “Tell the Dragon Reborn”

Demandred Massing Armies

Perrin and Finnland

The Ghoolam

Demandred’s interaction with the DO

Sistters sent to recapture Taim

Rest of the 13 BA

Who killed Sahra Covenry

Graendel meeting with Ilutrade

Doorway Ter”angreal

Fel’s Note to Min

TO live you must become Morridin “Die”

Morroianes wishes to the Finn

Rand’s Effect on the Weather “The Fisher King Theme”

The sword “Justice”

Taim Setting up the BT

The BA setting up Taim as the Dragon

War in Shara

Mind Traps

Moirraines Letters to Tom and Rand

Why Matt got the Ashandarei

Matt’s medallion

Avendesora

Missing Theodrin

If your path has anything to do with these items, your heading the wrong way

What about Lan's cousin. He makes an appearance in book 4 and than later as well.

These are items in posts up to 138 from theory land that have been ruled out, as stated earlier in this post, i listed them on lunch break

Moggy creating Bridgette

Lilwein Shipless

Fel talking with Rand

The Tinker’s Song

Demandred Massing Armies

Perrin and Finnland

The Ghoolam

Rest of the 13 BA

Who killed Sahra Covenry

Doorway Ter”angreal

Fel’s Note to Min

The sword “Justice”

Taim Setting up the BT

War in Shara

Mind Traps

Matt’s medallion

Avendesora

Missing Theodrin

What about Lan's cousin. He makes an appearance in book 4 and than later as well.

Luc is Isam, Isam is luc,Lands cousin is Rands Uncle they are both slayer. I dont see how slayer would fit in to this becasue he has been discuessed to death

I posted this on pg 12, and everyone just keeps on talking about things on this list, Read the whole thread or at least keep in mind this list, BS's assistant commented on theory land that up to post 138 didnt have the answer, i short handed what was in everypost up to 138 so everyone could really think and come up with solid new ideas, not just yell I KNOW!!!!!!! and write something that doesnt work. Check out below if your thinking about that your heading the wrong way

Moggy creating Bridgette

Lilwein Shipless

Fel talking with Rand

The Tinker’s Song

Demandred Massing Armies

Perrin and Finnland

The Ghoolam

Rest of the 13 BA

Who killed Sahra Covenry

Doorway Ter”angreal

Fel’s Note to Min

The sword “Justice”

Taim Setting up the BT

War in Shara

Mind Traps

Matt’s medallion

Avendesora

Missing Theodrin

Moggy creating Bridgette

Lilwein Shipless

Fel talking with Rand

The Tinker’s Song

Demandred Massing Armies

Perrin and Finnland

The Ghoolam

Rest of the 13 BA

Who killed Sahra Covenry

Doorway Ter”angreal

Fel’s Note to Min

The sword “Justice”

Taim Setting up the BT

War in Shara

Mind Traps

Matt’s medallion

Avendesora

Missing Theodrin

Once again, Lan's cousin (the Hunter) might have something to do with it. Plus, wouldn't make sense if he is also with the borderlanders.

Ok, I joined in because I felt a need to chime in on this one. Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but at the end of book 4 Rand destroys the protection around Rhuidean, and the lake is created. Afterwards the Aiel begin moving in. I think someone might have mentioned picturing it full of Aiel someday around the time the lake was created, I could be wrong there however. But could this be what BS is referring to? The way it was worded it sounds like an event that is happening, not a thing that is found. Don't forget, the remnants of the last remaining Chora tree are located there, and there was never any concrete proof that it was dead after the fire. A city without chora trees may as well be the wilderness. I believe that was the quote. What if the Aeil populating the city has some effect on the Chora tree? As in it is able to be propagated again? That's a big thing, as it could begin the spreading of chora trees, and of peace / civilization as it was in the age of legends. The fact that Aviendha found an artifact for digging holes, that only requires someone to sing the right songs is an interesting thing to have just been mentioned in passing. Food for thought at any rate. Enjoy, and feel free to pick my idea apart! :D

Oops, forgot to mention, since avi is heading there now (rhuidean that is) it would be surprising if there was NOT something written about it in the next book.

You say Luca is the best candidate, and the only reason you gave was that they shared a name.

There is more in common than only a name, if one looks at their situations, backgrounds, behaviors, judgments, motivations and manner of dress of common Da'Shain Aiel of the Ages of Legends to Break periods and the direct quotes of the first Luca in Rand's Aiel visions (tSR book).  

1.Luca, with his shoulders half again as wide as anyone else’s; he liked to play tricks.

2.“We…killed the.” Luca’s voice shook. “We….Mercy of the Light, be with us now.”

3.When Alijha started to pick up one of the swords, though, Lewin stopped him. “No, Alijha. That is a weapon, made to kill people. It has no other use.” Alijha said nothing, only ran his eyes over the four dead bodies, looked at the spears Luca was winding with blankets to carry Charlin’s body on. Lewin refused to look at the villagers. “A spear can put food in the pots, Alijha. A sword cannot. It is forbidden by the Way.”

Yes, it's enough hints, when combined with how RJ's uses Luca instead of Valan or Valan Luca in later parts of the texts, to make an educated guess that Luca is Valan Luca reborn.

There is also the interplay between Birgitte and Valan Luca which I found quite funny, during their very first meeting together.  Birgitte insults Valan Luca by dropping his gold mark wager to a 'silver penny' and asks if he is 'afraid'?  The point being Birgitte knew Valan Luca would take up her archery challenge, because he's an ex-Tinker. Tinkers, Ex-Tinkers, Aiel, and Sea Folk peoples all general have a good to great deal of courage.  So much courage, they'll walk into places no normally sane person would, because its the honorable thing to do.  

If you doubt that Da'Shain Aiel have great courage:

“Do you know what happened to the Aiel at Tzora?” He nodded, and she sighed, reaching out to smooth his short hair as if he were a child. “Of course you do. You Da’shain have more courage than…. Ten thousand Aiel linking arms and singling, trying to remind a madman of who they were and who he had been, trying to turn him with their bodies and a song. Jaric Mondoran killed them. He stood there, staring as though at a puzzle, killing them, and they kept closing their lines, and singing. I am told he listened to the last Aiel for almost an hour before destroying him. And the Tzora burned, one huge flame consuming stone and metal and flesh. There is a sheet of glass where the second greatest city in the world once stood.”

“Many people had time to flee, Aes Sedai. The Da’shain earned them time to flee. We are not afraid.”

The Luca of Rand's Aiel vision in Rhuidean, claims to be Da'Shain Aiel yet is outcast for "save" is friends and family, because of the violence and killing incurred in the process of saving them.    

The Valan Luca of the current Age, as already attempted to "save" a missing female from within a warring city, among many acts of bravery he's already shown in the story thus far.

I would suggest re-reading:

tSR book, Chapter “Rhuidean” AND

tFoH book, Chapters “A Small Room in Sienda”, “Heading West”, “A New Name”, "Performances in Samara", “The Wheel Weaves”, “The Price of a Ship” AND

Winter's Heart book, Chapter "In Need of a Bellfounder" AND

CoT book, Chapter "Two Captains" AND

KoD book, Chapter "A Cold Medallion", "Dragons' Eggs", "A Village in Shiota".  

To see how it's possible that Valan Luca's role in the story has been relatively unnoticed over the years in the forums.    

Looking back, I chuckled hard at one of Birgitte observations about Valan Luca, "She had said would make her own bow, too, as soon as she could. Luca’s she called “a knot-riddled branch broken from a cross-grained tree by a blind idiot in the middle of the night." (tFoH, Chapter "Performances in Samara")

There are a few basic reasons why Noal is a poor candidate to being the 3rd man to go along with Thom and Mat to the Tower of Ghenjei in an attempt to "save" Moiraine in ToM or AMOL books.  First, it's known that Ishamael used Compulsion on Noal. Second, Noal suggesting going to look for the Tower of Ghenjei along the Shadow Coast, where unblocked Waygates likely have let large numbers of Trollocs to organize. Plus, how else did Trollocs get close enough to Ebou Dar to attack Tylee's group of Seanchan in tGS?  Third, why did Noal really decide to help protect Mat from that gholam in Ebou Dar, sent by Sammael?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The other major quote I've been wondering about for years, is Mat's first question to the Aelfinn in tSR book:

His first question—and the other two' date=' for that matter—he had worked out before going down to the Great Hold. “Should I go home to help my people?” he asked finally.

And the Aelfinn tell him to go to Rhuidean.  However, Rhuidean is the home of the now dead Jenn Aiel.  

So are Mat's People the Jenn Aiel, err Da'Shain Aiel descendants? That would include the Tinkers, Amayar, Sea Folk, Aiel Clans and any Aiel descendants enslaved within Shara in theory. :o

Not to mention the impact of his marriage to Fortuona (Tuon) now; are people the Seanchan Empire his People now too?

I do understand this maybe too far out there, but it's never been cleared up by anyone I know of, nor by the most recent book tGS. Who are included within Mat's People?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

BS is making us all go crazy.

Maybe so, indeed.  

Brandon RAFO'd, MAFO'd questions quite a bit in Pasadena at Vromens during the time I listened to him sign people's books for over an hour and half, ten feet away in the first row.

'Squirm', must be a favorite word  ;)

Once again, Lan's cousin (the Hunter) might have something to do with it. Plus, wouldn't make sense if he is also with the borderlanders.

Lands cuzin The hunter is ISAM, in TAR the hunter is Slayer, they are the same person, i dont know what you are talking about other wise can u be clearer?

Archived