DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

What book did Avi un-weave a gateway? I haven't seen to much talk about this. The after effect is  mentioned many times, and the implications are huge... I think it happened later than book six, un-weaving something may have been mentioned before....

I like the tinker's message for the dragon reborn idea too....

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What book did Avi un-weave a gateway?

Factions are temporarily out of commission at Theoryland, or I would have started this one already:

We believe that the minor detail mentioned by Brandon (comparable to a certain spoilery detail from Mistborn) that was introduced in books 4-6' date=' that will 'save the day' in Towers of Midnight, is Mat's hat. Brandon almost said that the 'detail' had been present in every book since, but then he apparently remembered that Mat was not in The Path of Daggers at all, so he corrected himself, saying 'books and books'. Mat got the hat in book 4, taken from the head of a Darkfriend and sold to him for a gold crown by Lanfear. In book 5, Egwene had a dream of Mat throwing dice with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, while Thom pulled a blue stone out of a fire (clear reference to the Ghenjei rescue due in Towers of Midnight). In book 6, it was suggested that, so long as Mat wore the hat, nothing could kill him. Further speculation is that the hat might be protecting Mat's head, preventing the 'Finns from knowing he is coming. Also, it is a good bloody hat.[/quote']

Just for fun.  ;)

Ok I have a few thoughts.

I think the Tinkers and the song will have a big part to play, but we learnt about that as early as book 1 if I recall correctly.

Rand's state of mind affecting the weather and the land as much as the Dark One is another good point.

Herid Fel's last message to Rand will definitely be important.  Rand has already sort of figured out in TGS that he has to break the seals, what does "Belief and Order give strength" mean exactly though?  Just reinforcing that Rand's state of mind will play a huge role?

I was always interested how Moraine knew so much.  I mean she had a few questions answered in the ter'angreal, but in the Lanfear showdown she knew in advance all the possible ways the fight could go down.  Did she learn all of this in the ter'angreal?  She also knew who Asmodean was.  Does she have some ability or knowledge we're not aware of?  She's obviously going to play a big part or they wouldn't bother rescuing her.

Also Taim breaking free and somehow getting hold of a seal is another interesting idea.  Always seemed rather suspicious, but I imagine it's been discussed to death.

I was always interested how Moraine knew so much.  I mean she had a few questions answered in the ter'angreal, but in the Lanfear showdown she knew in advance all the possible ways the fight could go down.  Did she learn all of this in the ter'angreal?

Yes.  Her letter says so outright, and that's the nature of the ter'angreal, to show a person all the possibilities.

She also knew who Asmodean was.  Does she have some ability or knowledge we're not aware of?

No.  However, she did have the ability to eavesdrop, which we learned about in book 1.

Factions are temporarily out of commission at Theoryland, or I would have started this one already:

We believe that the minor detail mentioned by Brandon (comparable to a certain spoilery detail from Mistborn) that was introduced in books 4-6' date=' that will 'save the day' in Towers of Midnight, is Mat's hat. Brandon almost said that the 'detail' had been present in every book since, but then he apparently remembered that Mat was not in The Path of Daggers at all, so he corrected himself, saying 'books and books'. Mat got the hat in book 4, taken from the head of a Darkfriend and sold to him for a gold crown by Lanfear. In book 5, Egwene had a dream of Mat throwing dice with his hat pulled low and blood streaming down his face, while Thom pulled a blue stone out of a fire (clear reference to the Ghenjei rescue due in Towers of Midnight). In book 6, it was suggested that, so long as Mat wore the hat, nothing could kill him. Further speculation is that the hat might be protecting Mat's head, preventing the 'Finns from knowing he is coming. Also, it is a good bloody hat.[/quote']

Just for fun.   ;)

Wait...Perrin had a dream in TSR where Mat flipped a coin, chose a path, and suddenly he had his spear and was wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Wouldn't that be weird if there was some significance to his hat? We know that Mat's had problems with acquiring random objects before with prophetic properties (his ring, for instance).

I'm not quite sure why, but just the thought that his hat could be significant enough to warrant a teaser gives me the creeps.

Just playing along, so please be kind. After reading this thread the first thought that came to mind was the people from different countries going to the Two Rivers. I can't remember when this first appeared, I think when Perrin went back to the Two Rivers; not sure which book though. IIRC in EotW, Tam makes the comment that setting up the patrols is good thing to do, but not many people would come through or to, the Two Rivers since it was so out of the way, and bordered the way it is. Just thought it strange that all those different people would make it to the Two Rivers.

Second thought was portal stones. But I believe they have been discussed at length.

Interesting thread.

Wait...Perrin had a dream in TSR where Mat flipped a coin, chose a path, and suddenly he had his spear and was wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

Yup.  Typically faction creeds are less than half the length of ^^^ that one, so I just included one bit of evidence from each book.

The only thing that's missing is the head-slapping obviosity.  Shame, that.

@Chance - have you read Mistborn?  I don't think that that (or most things brought up in this thread) is really comparable to the Mistborn spoiler that we have as a basis for comparison.  Also, Portal Stones were introduced in book 2.

Wait...Perrin had a dream in TSR where Mat flipped a coin, chose a path, and suddenly he had his spear and was wearing a wide-brimmed hat.

Yup.  Typically faction creeds are less than half the length of ^^^ that one, so I just included one bit of evidence from each book.

The only thing that's missing is the head-slapping obviosity.  Shame, that.

Yeah, I mean, the significance of Mat's ring was a dead giveaway as soon as he bought it in aCoS.

Light, it's difficult trying to think of what hasn't been discussed at one point or another. Maybe we're not seeing the forest for the trees.

I thought it was weird how Mat mentioned his hat in tGS. He even wanted Thom to include it in whatever legends he wrote abuot him. But unless it is something beyond just a hat I can't see how it will be of any importance.

I'm pretty sure it's a literary prop used to signal a major shift in his identity, becoming a part of his persona. I mean, you couldn't write a legend about Indiana Jones without including his hat.

Maybe this is a little out-there, but when was the first time that any of our young channeling heroes learned to ignore the heat/cold "without using the power"?

I thought of this today on my lunch break when I was walking in the park. it's gotten a little cold here finally and I thought "it sure would be nice if I could ignore heat/cold" and I was puzzling over the "secret" in the back of my mind apparently, because I put the two together.

If it was during Book 4-6 times, then there is at least a chance that this is related to the big secret.

Consider this: They continually mention that this ability has "nothing to do with the power" and yet nobody who cannot channel seems to be able to do it.

does seem very familiar to Vin and the mists.

Doesn't Siuan sweat when she's been stilled and is escaping/romping with Bryne?

yup

Maybe this is a little out-there, but when was the first time that any of our young channeling heroes learned to ignore the heat/cold "without using the power"?

I thought of this today on my lunch break when I was walking in the park. it's gotten a little cold here finally and I thought "it sure would be nice if I could ignore heat/cold" and I was puzzling over the "secret" in the back of my mind apparently, because I put the two together.

If it was during Book 4-6 times, then there is at least a chance that this is related to the big secret.

Consider this: They continually mention that this ability has "nothing to do with the power" and yet nobody who cannot channel seems to be able to do it.

yup

I wouldn't be surprised at all that the ability to channel is connected with this trick; we know that being able to channel spares pregnant women from morning sickness, for instance, without having anything to do with anyone actually channeling. I just don't see what sort of shocker this would be to be considered of such great importance.

these are the only suggestions i could come up with off the top of my head; using issues first presented or worsned in books 4-6

- something to do with the "Snakes & Foxes"

- who Gaidin Cain(sp) was reborn as

- something to do with Valin Luca and his traveling circus

- what the DO told Demandred

- where/who Meesena is

- what Logan's greatness is

- who/what is Taim

- something to do with the 3 oaths

- the traveling people and aiel

- the song the traveling people are looking for

Gaidal Cain is Olver, Lets see he is ugly, every woman loves him it appears, and the men of the band are teaching him how to use all sorts of weapons. Also he has been learning to ride horses from the men in the band, there isn't any question in my mind that it's him.  There have just been way too many hints about it if you read through what has been written.  

In regards to that Luckers:

13. Under the Dust

The Tower envoy, Tarna Feir, visits Nynaeve in her room. She has heard of the discoveries made by her and Elayne, and wants them to return to the Tower with her. They refuse.

In Tel’aran’rhiod Elayne and Nynaeve use need, trying to find something to tie the Salidar Aes Sedai to Rand. They find a cache of Angreal, Sa’angreal and Ter’angreal, somewhere in Ebou Dar. Among the Ter’angreal they find a large glass bowl, that is somehow able to affect the weather.

Perhaps the Ring of Tamyrlin? I have a theory its the third powerful sangreal... Thats the third post that has bought me to this point tonight also...Must stop seeing conspiracies...

Ah but thats what I'm talking about--before finding the Ebou Dar cache the need takes them to the storeroom of angreal, ter'angreal and sa'angreal in the Tower. They immediately decide that getting into the Tower would be too difficult so they use need again this time specifyng 'not the Tower'.

So my question is what was there in the Tower storeroom that could have been used to tie the Salidar Aes Sedai to Rand? Whatever the answer is (and I doubt it's the ring of Tamyrlin--that gets discussed far to often to fulfil BS' standards) it is my subsequent submission for the 'over-looked' bit which should have raised questions at the time, yet is almost never discussed.

And consider we know this is coming out into the light in ToM, and that Egwene was directly talking of moving everything within that storeroom.

It fulfils all the requirements.

yup

I wouldn't be surprised at all that the ability to channel is connected with this trick; we know that being able to channel spares pregnant women from morning sickness, for instance, without having anything to do with anyone actually channeling. I just don't see what sort of shocker this would be to be considered of such great importance.

perhaps something to do with the nature of reality + dark one + channelers also being able to be bound to the dark one more permanently than others. Could be part of the "big reveal" about the dark one, like perhaps channelers are able to mould reality above the dream of the world etc.

Gaidal Cain is Olver, Lets see he is ugly, every woman loves him it appears, and the men of the band are teaching him how to use all sorts of weapons. Also he has been learning to ride horses from the men in the band, there isn't any question in my mind that it's him.  There have just been way too many hints about it if you read through what has been written.  

No, No, Olver is a dwarf forsaken-in-training. He's evil, lecherous and uses compulsion to get everybody to do what he wants.

Something we haven't seen or heard of yet, of major significance, stashed in the Tower storeroom? I don't know, sounds a bit too much Deus ex Machina to fit:

Rand: "I was told I'd fail without a woman dead and gone...what can I do?"

Egwene: "Oh, that reminds me -- We found this thingy built long ago called a 'Shadow Killer.'"

Rand: (takes the odd-looking box and presses a button, destroying all the evil in the world) "Oh, nice! Glad that's taken care of."

Egwene: You're still a woolhead.

Lan's ring=the ring of Tamyrlin?

No. Lan's ring is the ring of Malkieri kings, and has been continually melted down and remade over the years. Can't do that with objects of the Power, and there's no point in doing so, either. If the ring of the Tamyrlin was just an ordinary ring, who cares if it gets found? Sentimental value?

What book did Avi un-weave a gateway? I haven't seen to much talk about this. The after effect is  mentioned many times, and the implications are huge... I think it happened later than book six, un-weaving something may have been mentioned before....

I like the tinker's message for the dragon reborn idea too....

The unweaving by Avi and then Elayne is in TPoD  - two books too late.

Well, if there was, say, a character in books 4-6, and then again repeatedly through the series, who manages not to sweat when others are...? A secret channeler, under our noses the entire time? Don't see how that would be too important, either, anyway...

Archived