DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

Actually, Messana would make more sense as she was the one that "used" BA a lot. Also fits with her being in WT and maybe because she's OK with not pretending to be a real AS she got away with new oaths taking. In anyway, I completely missed that part about Elsa and I've read the books many times (and listen to them even more). But then it happens once in a while, miss something that is important but that is small enough to be missed.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Messana would make more sense as she was the one that "used" BA a lot. Also fits with her being in WT and maybe because she's OK with not pretending to be a real AS she got away with new oaths taking. In anyway, I completely missed that part about Elsa and I've read the books many times (and listen to them even more). But then it happens once in a while, miss something that is important but that is small enough to be missed.

Lanfear was there, in WT, also. She came to Mat as Selene, ch 20, tDR. And, in ch 25, Egwene was running after Elze, but found a woman, with the same description as Selene.

But I agree, that in ch 24 "Elze" most likely was Mesaana. She seems like don't remember Mat much, asking him what he's doin here, etc. And it seems logical to assume that Mesaana would use the same disguise with Egwene and girls as well.

But that also mean, that when Egwene was running after one disguised Forsaken she immediately found another. In White Tower of all places!  ;D

Ok, this is probably too insignificant, but has been (un)noticed throughout the series since this scene occurred in book 4.  When Rand traveled back through his ancestors' eyes in Rhuidean there was a scene where the Nym was coming to join in with the Aeil and Ogier with the singing.  A soldier was nearby watching the gathering.  The helmet that the soldier was wearing gave the impression of a huge insect.  How does this tie in with the Seanchan's battle attire and is there any significance to it? 

The Seanchan helmet thing has been discussed quite a bit - as a possible in this thread and also in the Seanchan before Hawkwing thread. It has several possible weaknesses unless there is something special about 1/2 million helmets that we haven't been told about.

so? we know about darkfriend tinkers since the great hunt, and they are harmless, as long as they believe in the way of the leaf. :P  Whats a df hippy-wannabe gonna do? "Peace" you to death?  ;)

I know!

DF Tinker: "HA, HA! I wish ill will towards you!"

Fellow they 'attacked': "...is that it?"

DF Tinker: "Yeah man, that's all I got."

Fellow: "Wow..."

After trying to keep up with 160+ pages of posts, and rereading books 4-6, here's what has struck me about the "unnoticed thing" so far:

- Nynaeve and Elayne were compulsed by Moghedien in Tanchico. Nynaeve managed to remember it when fighting Moggy. I don't recall it being mentioned if Elayne has been feed of it. What if both of them are still under the compulsion?

- At the beginning of TSR, a bubble of evil causes reflections of Rand to jump out of mirrors and attack him. Did this have any effect on Rand? Shortly after, Lanfear makes an appearance, and Rand is able to access Lews Therin's memories and blurt out that she always loved power. I don't think Rand had access to Lews Therin's memories before wrestling with his own reflections. It is also after this attack that Rand's temper is a lot more volatile.

I can't think of anything else at this point that hasn't already been discussed to death...

I must admit that I didn't have the patience to read through the hundred odd pages of replies so let me know if this was already discussed:  Balefire

Or rather its effects on the pattern of time.  Balefire's negative effects are mentioned throughout the series but I don't think they are shown until The Gathering Storm in chapter 28 'night in hinderstap' when Mat goes into that town that has the wierd cyclical psuedo undead thing going on.  It didn't make any sense to me at all and seemed like it wasn't true to the world Jordan created until I thought of it as being the effects of Balefire.

Anyway if this was already mentioned in the previous 165 posts, my apologies.

This is kind of out there.  What if it is about Selucia?  I have this vague memory of Egwene having a dream or Min having a viewing about a blonde go to Seandar and being freed from the collar. 

We know that Selucia can channel and that she is Tuon's bodyguard.  Since Selucia can channel she must know how to hide her ability to channel since its a big secret and all of the Damane would and therefore the sul'dam would know Selucia could channel.  Since Tuon knows Selucia can channel her stated feelings about channeling may only be a front to hide that Tuon knows how to channel.  Since Selucia can hide her channeling then she would have taught Tuon to hide her ability also.

Tuon is now the Empress, May she live forever, and the Seanchan have captured an untold number of women who can channel with forkroot and being Seanchan taught these women to be weapons.  It is only a matter of time before all of the Seanchan learn sul'dam can learn to channel.  If the big surprise is that Tuon knows how to channel, what if she comes forward and frees the Damane? 

I just re-read Mistborn and was struck by how similar the voice in Min's head is to Lews Therin's voice is in Rand's. I doubt this is the unnoticed thing but could LT's voice be the unnoticed thing? As in exactly like in Mistborn where someone else is putting the voice in his head? If so what happened to him right before LT's voice first showed up that would have allowed it to enter his noggin?

Where did you get that Selucia can channel? The scene in KoD after Mat took Tuon to the hell made me think that Tuon channeled but I don't remember anything about Selucia.

Wrong books to be the BUT though.

The scrap in Maderin (KoD) - Mat doesn't see her but when he turns around, Thom and Selucia have obviously fought and killed a lot of people. Thom says something like "I am surprised but I've already forgotten what I saw ". However, it's much more likely that Selucia is a martial arts expert rather than a sanctioned marath'damane - we know she's Tuon's bodyguard and second-last line of defence. Note that Mat's medallion doesn't grow cold during the scene.

The medallion only grows cold when someone channels at Mat right? Not when someone channels near him. I could be mistaken. But anyway, that's the seen I was thinking of, but I took it that Tuon had channeled. In fact we know that Tuon can potentially channel because she can wear the a'dam.

There is definately a radius to when Mat can feel channeling.  But we have never known its limits.  The medallion was not cold all the time when Mat was in Salidar.  From what Thom said in KOD I always interpreted it as Selucia being able to channel not her having some kick ass fighting ability.  Tuon can hold her own in fist fight so why would Selucia fighting ability need to be some crazy secret?

This is not the right thread. This should probably be in Tuon and the Seanchan since it first comes into play in Book IX.

However, WH and TGS both explicitly mention that Selucia is Tuon's secret bodyguard. Her Royal Highness is surprised by Rand's acumen when he picks up on the fact.

Keeping Selucia's skills secret gives Tuon an useful ace-in-the hole.

For example, Mat has no clue about this when he's kidnapping her and Selucia is well within striking distance of Mat before Tuon tells her to stand down.

Yes, Mat's medallion seems to have distance limitations but he was well within the distance involved if you read the description of the scrap in Maderin versus other times when the medallion has gone cold - trip to Ebou Dar, Joline slapping the sul'dam around, teaching the marath'damane, hassling Mat, etc.

Archived