DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Lews Therin say anything much in those books ?

I read them so long ago.

Some little mad utterance ?

The one thing I noticed re-reading 4-6 after reading TGS was the progression of Lews Therin's voice. It started as Rand having memories, then he would realize it wasnt his memory. So after the re-read I did start agreeing with those who say there never was a Lews in Rand's head. It was just a way for Rand to deal with memories popping up that were not, what he thought, were his. He would remember then say wait, thats not my memory thats Lews Therin's and eventually it just branched into Lews Therin.

Does he ever hear Lews voice before he gets put in the box?

I read them so long ago.

The one thing I noticed re-reading 4-6 after reading TGS was the progression of Lews Therin's voice. It started as Rand having memories, then he would realize it wasnt his memory. So after the re-read I did start agreeing with those who say there never was a Lews in Rand's head. It was just a way for Rand to deal with memories popping up that were not, what he thought, were his. He would remember then say wait, thats not my memory thats Lews Therin's and eventually it just branched into Lews Therin.

I believe so. The box is the first time the voice seems to talk TO him, though, rather than just ramble.

I read them so long ago.

yes he had been hearing him and thinking it was LTT since book 5 for sure, maybe book 4.  but i just got through 6 again and he had been talking to him the whole time

In book 4, Egwene gives Avi the silver necklace and Rand obsesses about who gave it to her for the next two books.  I tend to think that the silver content of Matt's necklace rather than the ter'angreal effect is what keeps Matt safe from the gholam.  Maybe Avi's silver necklace will come in handy like that.  Just a thought.

Also, the Ogier's traveling book reminds me of the computer game Myst.

I dont believe it is the Silver that the ghoolam is hurt by. It seems logical that the Ghoolam would have come into contact with Money, weapons, jewelery, armor that had been crafted with silver. It states that it has never been harmed/ felt anything like matt's medallion before, so the fact that its silver seems to easy.

I think it has to do with the fact that Both the medallion and the ghoolam are unable to be touched with the OP. Perhaps the effect of them coming into contact causes the reaction for the GHoolam.

This might be a bit bats, but sure I'll just fire ahead. The Land of the Madmen. In the BWB, it's explained as a continent, inhabited by primitive people, with loads of channelers, and the entire population is mad as a bag of badgers.

Now, in TGS, "A Tale of Blood", Rand asks Harine what becomes of Seafolk male channelers. She explains how they've two options, being sunk with a boulder, or put ashore on a barren isle with no food or water. Apparently some few do take the second option, even though it is considered shameful.

Anyone see where I'm going here? Two directions, actually:

1: Any chance these "barren isles" are within swimming/rafting distance of the Crazy continent? I know they're all bonkers, so they're prob not gonna be much use to the forces of the Light, but wow they could be put to good use by Demandred or someone equally wily. Obviously they're not gonna follow any orders, but all you have to do is Gate them into wherever the Goody two shoes Brigade are strongest and watch the chaos. Could be fun?!

2: Any chance of the Seafolk fessin' up on any of their secrets any time soon?

We don't know, really, what Rand really is to them, beyond the Coramoor title.

They trade with Shara, and won't say two feckin' words about it.

They know about the LoM, and are mussel-tight lipped about that too.

Are they hiding anything else interesting?

are we even sure Mats medallion is made of silver? its a ter' angreal so it could be made of anything.   

It's called a silver fox medallion so could either be silver or a silver fox.  Vulgir is probably right.  I've seen too many old wolfman/vampire movies.

are we even sure Mats medallion is made of silver? its a ter' angreal so it could be made of anything.   

It's called a silver fox medallion so could either be silver or a silver fox.  Vulgir is probably right.  I've seen too many old wolfman/vampire movies.

It's pretty much common knowledge that Mats Ter'Angeral's OP negating effect is what hurts the Gholam.

Elayne says it in CoS - her flows were broken by the Gholam exactly the same way as by Mat's medallion.

It has some sort of like poles repelling effect on the Gholam.

Very unlikely that common silver would do anything since the PoV says it's never encountered anything that could hurt it.

Elayne says it in CoS - her flows were broken by the Gholam exactly the same way as by Mat's medallion.

It has some sort of like poles repelling effect on the Gholam.

Very unlikely that common silver would do anything since the PoV says it's never encountered anything that could hurt it.

That's what I like about this board.  We sometimes miss things that others have picked up on.  I've only read the series 3 times (read twice and listened once)so I'm likely to miss some things. Ya, I missed the part about Elayne so thanks for pointing that out.  

So if Rand knows he's not going to hear Lews, and presumably he's right, how do you suppose this will effect his channeling sickness? It seems like the taint would have been the first piece of that puzzle. I just don't understand why his channeling sickness would continue to get worse if Saidin has actually been cleansed, other than it's related to the thoughts in his head.

So if Rand knows he's not going to hear Lews, and presumably he's right, how do you suppose this will effect his channeling sickness? It seems like the taint would have been the first piece of that puzzle. I just don't understand why his channeling sickness would continue to get worse if Saidin has actually been cleansed, other than it's related to the thoughts in his head.

If Luckers is right (and his theory is sound on the issue), then the connection with Moridin is what is causing the sickness when Rand takes hold of saidin--so there shouldn't be any change.

I beg pardon but from my reading there is NO mention of Sea Folk dropping men who channel off on the "Isle of Madmen".

They are left on deserted islands is all that is said. It's mere conjecture that a freakin' landmass referred to as the size of a continent some bloody where would be mistaken as a "deserted island" by SEA FOLK who would most assuredly have SOME clue as to what an island was.

Now I suppose that whole thing could be a red herring made up by Sea Folk to throw the rest of the world off the scent of what it is they do.... but really ... there is so much more interesting stuff that is REALLY written about in this story.

Archived