DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Big (Currently) Unoticed Thing In Books 4-6 (Mistborn Spoilers)

Luckers

In what was now called the Age of Legends, this had been an idyllic island in a cool sea, a favorite of those who enjoyed the rustic. Despite the steam it was bitter cold, now; he did not allow himself to feel it, but instinct made him pull his fur-lined velvet cloak closer. Feathery mist marked his breath, barely visible before the air drank it. A few hundred leagues north the world was pure ice, but Thakan’dar was always dry as any desert, though always wrapped in winter.

The site of Shayol Ghul obviously.

Mierin had said today was the day. She said she had found a new source for the One Power. Female Aes Sedai and male would be able to tap the same source, not separate halves. What men and women could do united would be even greater now that there would be no differences. And today she and Beidomon would tap it for the first time—the last time men and women would work together wielding a different Power. Today.

What seemed a tiny chip of white spun away from the Sharom in a jet of black fire; it descended, deceptively slow, insignificant. Then a hundred gouts spurted everywhere around the huge white sphere. The Sharom broke apart like an egg and began to drift down, falling, an obsidian inferno. Darkness spread across the sky, swallowing the sun in unnatural night, as if the light of those flames was blackness. People were screaming, screaming everywhere.

With the first spurt of fire, Charn broke into a run toward the Collam Daan, but he knew he was too late. He was sworn to serve Aes Sedai, and he was too late. Tears rolled down his face as he ran.

The COllam Daan was in V'Saine, wwhich was one of the great cities of the Age of Legends.  Not an idyllic island.  I know that the Bore would be over te whole pattern, but it makes sense that it would be thinnest where it was created to me.  :\  Oh, well.

Anywho.. What was the Sharom?  Was it the previous seal on the Prison?  How did that work?

On another note.. what was Charn too late for?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what was now called the Age of Legends, this had been an idyllic island in a cool sea, a favorite of those who enjoyed the rustic. Despite the steam it was bitter cold, now; he did not allow himself to feel it, but instinct made him pull his fur-lined velvet cloak closer. Feathery mist marked his breath, barely visible before the air drank it. A few hundred leagues north the world was pure ice, but Thakan’dar was always dry as any desert, though always wrapped in winter.

The site of Shayol Ghul obviously.

Mierin had said today was the day. She said she had found a new source for the One Power. Female Aes Sedai and male would be able to tap the same source, not separate halves. What men and women could do united would be even greater now that there would be no differences. And today she and Beidomon would tap it for the first time—the last time men and women would work together wielding a different Power. Today.

What seemed a tiny chip of white spun away from the Sharom in a jet of black fire; it descended, deceptively slow, insignificant. Then a hundred gouts spurted everywhere around the huge white sphere. The Sharom broke apart like an egg and began to drift down, falling, an obsidian inferno. Darkness spread across the sky, swallowing the sun in unnatural night, as if the light of those flames was blackness. People were screaming, screaming everywhere.

With the first spurt of fire, Charn broke into a run toward the Collam Daan, but he knew he was too late. He was sworn to serve Aes Sedai, and he was too late. Tears rolled down his face as he ran.

The COllam Daan was in V'Saine, wwhich was one of the great cities of the Age of Legends.  Not an idyllic island.  I know that the Bore would be over te whole pattern, but it makes sense that it would be thinnest where it was created to me.  :\  Oh, well.

Anywho.. What was the Sharom?  Was it the previous seal on the Prison?  How did that work?

On another note.. what was Charn too late for?

The Sharom was the giant floating sphere over the Collam Daan. It was supported over the Collam Daan by the worlds own gravitational pull. The Sharom was also a place for research. Mierin and Beidomon were working in the Sharom when they drilled the bore open. And when the Bore opened, the Sharom was literally torn apart by the action.

Good points.

In regards to LTT age I really never saw it anywhere to be referenced (but than again I'm new to the community and I already learned that only through forum conversations one can truly grasp many small details). Regardless, even if he was around when the bore was made it does not mean he would actually use TP. I think it stands to reason that if he was around and was one of the great AS with wisdom and small ambitions, he might have been cautious. Once again, I think the issue of TP was a big one after its discovery and it stands to reason that there were different camps of opinion. LTT might have simply been one of the AS that reserved his judgment about TP and did not use it (I know it is a "might" but it would explain his reaction to it).

Did you just suggest that LTT was of small ambition? my god man!

Lews Therin's hair had more gray than color. Add in Aes Sedai slowing, no binding, and Age of Legends lifespan (60s being the prime of one's life for non-channelers?) and I'd say Lews Therin had certainly been around a while.

I've been wondering how the aging thing works for men. With the balance of the wheel and all... perhaps men aren't granted nearly as long of a life span as women? Hasn't it been suggested that the Oathrod is responsible for shortening a woman channelers life too? I suppose this is inconsequential to men channeling. Still though it's likely men live as long or nearly as long as women... however... just an idea i have been toying with.

Good points.

In regards to LTT age I really never saw it anywhere to be referenced (but than again I'm new to the community and I already learned that only through forum conversations one can truly grasp many small details). Regardless, even if he was around when the bore was made it does not mean he would actually use TP. I think it stands to reason that if he was around and was one of the great AS with wisdom and small ambitions, he might have been cautious. Once again, I think the issue of TP was a big one after its discovery and it stands to reason that there were different camps of opinion. LTT might have simply been one of the AS that reserved his judgment about TP and did not use it (I know it is a "might" but it would explain his reaction to it).

Did you just suggest that LTT was of small ambition? my god man!

Well, in comparison to the forsaken - yes. After all he did not join the DO and did not want to live "forever". :)

Lews Therin's hair had more gray than color. Add in Aes Sedai slowing, no binding, and Age of Legends lifespan (60s being the prime of one's life for non-channelers?) and I'd say Lews Therin had certainly been around a while.

I've been wondering how the aging thing works for men. With the balance of the wheel and all... perhaps men aren't granted nearly as long of a life span as women? Hasn't it been suggested that the Oathrod is responsible for shortening a woman channelers life too? I suppose this is inconsequential to men channeling. Still though it's likely men live as long or nearly as long as women... however... just an idea i have been toying with.

Oath rods were used to bind criminals of both sexes.

Halima-Balty joined forces with GLoD to avoid this fate (or rather to free himself), as did Semirhage who was threatened with binding.

Until the taint turned Saidin poisonous, male channelers life spans were pretty much the same as females.

Ok, 141 pages into the thread, what's the verdict? I followed the discussion on and off, but have probably missed more than half of the posts by far. Can we get a recap of the most likely/popular theories? Anyone? Please?

Certainly - except the recap will take another 141 pages!

I think that the unnoticed thing was Callandor can block Balefire.

I forgot about that. Ok, balefire destroys thing from the patter and Calandor can block it. Does that mean it is not part of the pattern? Or does it mean that it is outside of the patter? Is this another connection to DO and TP :) (I know, I know, people don't really agree, but makes sense to me)

Ok, 141 pages into the thread, what's the verdict? I followed the discussion on and off, but have probably missed more than half of the posts by far. Can we get a recap of the most likely/popular theories? Anyone? Please?

Probably more, after all each page has to be discussed at length! :D

Probably more, after all each page has to be discussed at length! :D

This thread is now probably longer than Books 4-6!  ;D

perhaps men aren't granted nearly as long of a life span as women

Since extended lifespan is directly proportional to strength in OP, I would assume that the average male channeler lives a few years longer than the average female channeler.

As to why male "wizard" types always have grey hair - its a standard fantasy trope. Since the vast majority of fantasy fiction is written by, and for, straight men - female characters are always "HOTTT" and male characters are always "Wise/Capable".

Just something i thought in passing, i think Callandor may be used by Nynaeve and Logain +1 to bring Rand back to life......the 3 day references and the use by Rand before of trying to bring that girl back to life.

This is interesting thought. I do tend to think that this unnoticed issue has something to do with Calandor, and the reference to the whole resurrection would fit in the theme of different religions and whatnot. Also, Calandor does have a connection to rebirths and souls' connections. I wonder if TAR also can fit in this, after all Dragon is one of the heroes and we know that heroes are in TAR.

In any event, I'll try to put a list of tings that imo are possible to be related to this BcUT (using the list of exclusions). Anyone else wants to do the same so the lists can be compered? 142 pages in and this is still chaotic (Let the lord of chaos rule, anybody?  ;D)

Just something i thought in passing, i think Callandor may be used by Nynaeve and Logain +1 to bring Rand back to life......the 3 day references and the use by Rand before of trying to bring that girl back to life.

This is interesting thought. I do tend to think that this unnoticed issue has something to do with Calandor, and the reference to the whole resurrection would fit in the theme of different religions and whatnot. Also, Calandor does have a connection to rebirths and souls' connections. I wonder if TAR also can fit in this, after all Dragon is one of the heroes and we know that heroes are in TAR.

In any event, I'll try to put a list of tings that imo are possible to be related to this BcUT (using the list of exclusions). Anyone else wants to do the same so the lists can be compered? 142 pages in and this is still chaotic (Let the lord of chaos rule, anybody?  ;D)

Remember how Rand was so sure he could use the sword to bring that girl back to life? maybe he was just mad with power... and who knows... maybe his subconscious LTT mind knew something we didn't?

Archived