DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Reading Rate

water_seeker

I lent my EotW to my sister so she could start reading the series about a month or so ago.  She has just made it to where they are running out of Shadar Logoth.  She says she's really into the story, but it seems like she's taking FOREVER to read it.  I read it in under a week my first time (and probably every time since).  How long does it take you all to finish the average WoT book?

It can vary widely.  I finished the book in under a week, but some of my friends have taken a month or more.

One thing you might consider is the audio books.  They can really help for those who don't read quite as quickly, and Michael and Kate do an AWESOME job reading.

WoT books can vary wildly for me. When a new book comes out I usually get through it in 2 days. They generally aren't "can't put this book down!" crazy like others, but I burn through them pretty quickly. But some of the books on the rereads take quite a while. The Great Hunt is probably my least favorite in the first 6 books, so I've been hacking away at it for over a week now and I'm not even halfway done yet.

Funny story, I got my cousin into the series literally about 5 years ago. He enjoys the series, but he is still only on the 6th book. I have no clue how he can read it so slowly and still stay interested....

I flew through the first few books - about 3 or 4 days each which was fast for me at the time.

Started reading them in 1999 on the train on the way to work - I used to bring them into the toilet in work and read them also - I didn't stay in that job long!

I can't remember how many of the books were out at that point but I got through all the released books pretty quickly. I remember the covers kept coming off the damn books!!

I average between 8 and 10 hours.

Erm, OK, lets take EotW for example which has 305600 words, say u read it in 9 hours without stopping, thats an average of 9.4 words per second. That seems abit quick to pick up nuances of the plot.

I've been reading the series since 1997. Between then and 2001, when I got around to buying WH, I read the first 8 books several times.

In the last 8 years, I've read the nine well north of a dozen times each. Actually, at this point, I've probably read them over two dozen times. Moreover, I've read COT and KOD at least four or five times each, but college forced me to slow down the number of times I reread.

At this point, I've got the plot down, I just forget the precise places things happen.

And yea, I can read that fast.

• Community Administrator

I think I could read any of them in about 3-4 days.  But I have an awesome job where I'm allowed to listen to my iPod, so I'm able to get 4+ hours of audiobook in.  I'm almost done with all 11 and I started listening in July. Listening to the audiobooks are different, but it's still been really neat keeping my mide focused on WoT while I'm working.

~Mashiara

I read pretty fast(can read a 1,000 pg book in 3 days if it's really good).I had trouble with tEotW until they got away from the Three Rivers and then I flew through the book.Maybe she's having the same problem.

Another problem might be absorbing all the information about saidin,saidar,Aes Sadai,the ajahs,etc. that gets dumped on a reader when they are beginning.

It takes me about a week going at my preferred pace, but I'm stepping it up to 4 days for my reread before TGS, and if I really wanted to and didn't have too many obligations, I could probably do a book a day but idk how enjoyable I would find that.  I tend to be a very dogged reader.  I read slowly, but I have done some mammoth sessions before.  Sometimes if I read too much I have to take a break for about a month.

• Community Administrator

I agree that listening to the audiobooks first would have been overwhelming.  But since I've been reading the WoT for almost nine years, I knew the story well enough that the audiobooks were wonderful not a hinderence.  I've actually noticed I've picked up more details listening to the books that from reading them.  I tend to speed read when I get excited and wind up missing some of the minor things--even though I've read the whole series through at least four times, and the earlier books much more than that.

I can't say enought about how much I enjoy the audiobooks, and I would recommend them to anyone.  It is a bit intimidating since some of them are 30+ hours long.  It would take forever, but I have so much time I'm able to listen to them at work.  I can usually get through one in a week or two.  It's so much fun!

~Mashiara

I'm with Mashiara on this. I'd read the books 3-4 times and then bought the audio books since I traveled a lot with my first job after college. I picked up quite a bit of information and had a lot of ah ha moments. The fastest I've ever read through the series is is books 1-10 in a month. I had a very easy course load in my senior year so I had the time to take a month and read them. Plus having insomnia at that point in time helped too. When TGS comes out I'll probably finish it in about 2-3 days. I hope I can anyways because the following weekend I have to go inventory one of my companies warehouses.

Maximum of a week, depending on how busy I am. Minimum of a day.  I finished most books in 1-3 days.  Re-read taking a little longer because I'm pretty fresh of the first read, I have less time, and I'm reading slower (less pages read per hour)

Archived