DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lily's finally here

Another good thing to do when visiting the Ajahs is to look through their boards and read as many of their old threads as you can.  That will show you the types of things they talk about, themes of focus, and will orient you to the interaction patterns of the people in the Ajah.  It also helps to PM, e-mail, or chat with members from each Ajah in order to get to know them better.  This last thing I mentioned really helped me pick after I had narrowed my choices down to two potential Ajahs.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Dances around* I bet I can guess which 4! Then again I have been stalking you and well I know you. Oh, and it would be the same 4 that stuck out to me after about a month of being here, if I am right. You are just such the go getter.

She has been reading and asking me a ton of questions and I bet she is pestering asking her mentor too. Which she has an awesome mentor by the way!

• Club Leader

That's really good advice, Dwyn, and I will probably do that once I have it narrowed down a bit more. Right now, I already have so many boards to keep up on. We're having lots of fun in Aspie quarters, plus visiting all seven ajahs, at two threads each, on average. That's a lot! And, of course, this is just one site. I belong to a few others that I visit daily.

If I can give you one bit of advice, Lily, it's to totally forget about Ajahs for now. Just concentrate on being a novice - that's the most fun you could have! *Grins as she fondly remembers her novice days*

Once you've reached Accepted, that's the time to start looking around. I know you can choose your Ajah as soon you get raised to Accepted, but I wouldn't advise it, personally. Just my opinion, of course.

Another thing to keep in mind is not to pick one because most of your friends or your Souvra(s) are in it (unless that is what is most important to you!). You should pick it because that is who and what YOU are.

Or to judge (I don't mean that in a bad way) an Ajah on what members of other Ajahs say about it. I can't talk for other Ajahs, but many have a misconception about the Reds, in that we are all man crazy. Some of us are, some aren't - it's not something that's actually so important to us that it defines us. I think the misconception came about because we were trying to dispel the myth that all Reds HATE men ... lol.

Oh my ... I've grown long winded ... *grins and shuts up*

Well I'm just a novice here too ;D but I second Elgee's advice. Being here so far, I've tried not to actively think about which Ajah I want to be in, but intead have just focused on hanging out in each one and having fun and getting to know people, and getting a feel for each Ajah. Obviously, after almost two months here, there are some Ajahs I'm drawn to more than others, and I'm not saying I haven't thought about it at all, but I think I'll focus on that more when I'm an Accepted. And I'll probably be An Accepted for a little while before I choose, because right now I don't really have any idea :D

Of course, I'm not saying you have to do exactly as I've done; you might feel like you can decide on an Ajah pretty quickly and declare as soon as you've reached Accepted, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I think it's good not to focus on it too much, as a novice. That way you get more of a feel for each Ajah, almost without realizing it. Certainly my perceptions of each Ajah have changed after almost two months, as opposed to how I saw them after I'd been here only a week or so.

Or to judge (I don't mean that in a bad way) an Ajah on what members of other Ajahs say about it. I can't talk for other Ajahs, but many have a misconception about the Reds, in that we are all man crazy. Some of us are, some aren't - it's not something that's actually so important to us that it defines us. I think the misconception came about because we were trying to dispel the myth that all Reds HATE men ... lol.

I always felt like the Reds here aren't necessarily man crazy (now the Greens... :P). I feel like...the Reds in the books HATE men, whereas the Reds here on the boards don't HATE men, but they don't really feel like they need them either, because they're so independent. Er, which is not to say that all the other Ajahs do need men... *scurries off before she gets into trouble*

actually Alanna, that's exactly right. The DM Reds don't hate men, which doesn't necessarily mean we'll be oogling them all day, every day, or that we'll go chasing after them at the mere sight of them, or even that some of us may not even be interested in them in a romantic manner. We consider men equal to women and vice versa and expect both sexes to treat each other with equal regard. Yes we tease, flirt and play, but you know what? Life's way too short to be all serious all the time. Basically we don't have anything to prove, one way or the other.

*feeds Alanna chocolate covered strawberries* ;D

*scurries back* Ooh, chocolate-covered strawberries! Yuummmm.

*curtsies before Mystica* Thank you oh so much1 *licks chocolate off fingers* ;D

Yes, that's how I kind of saw the DM Reds to be like.

• Club Leader

This is all really good advice! What I'm doing is visiting all the ajahs and trying to make friends. Of course, being a goal-oriented sort of person, the future decision I'll have to make is in the back of my mind, and it does come out to play a bit. Someone (I think it was someone in the Brown ajah, but my memory is horrible) told me that some places will be very easy to jump into convos, and some you won't know what to say. That can help with a decision like this, too. I'm finding a couple of ajahs where I want to be friendly and get to know them, but every post I make, I'm searching for what to talk about. I think it's unlikely I'll ever be comfortable enough to join them, but if I can walk away with one friend, that would be great! And then there's the ones that I just jump right in and play.

Speaking of playing, I'm doing a lot of that in the Aspie rooms, and have already made some friends. I'm having a blast there!

Thanks for all the advice. I feel like I'm doing great. And I want to dispell any notions anyone may have that I'm automatically going green because my sister's there. Yes, we enjoy being together, but we celebrate each other's interestes, regardless of whether we share them or not. I have friends from before I joined here in the Green ajah, true, but I'm not going to lose those friends if I join  another ajah. If that were the case, they wouldn't really be friends, now, would they?

You are getting some awesome advice here Lily. I agree that you need to pay no attention to what others say about the other Ajahs. You are so good at intuition and seeing the truth of the matters that I know you will see where you feel at home and where you don't.

I would love to have you in the Green Ajah, but would be more jazzed that you pick the one that is for you. Choosing your Ajah is for when you are an Accepted anyway. Novice time is play time. Nothing wrong with going around the Ajahs and seeing where you can make friends. I suggest you visit them all again as an Accepted and when you get it narrowed down to a few participate in more then just a few threads in each. Really get a feel for what the place is as a whole and not just a few threads. I honestly was waiting on my Ajah petition before I could get raised. It took me that long. I felt that it was time well spent. So, remember you have plenty of time and I so know how you love to plan ahead. Don't!! Just live by the moment and make friends. You have already made plenty and I am so happy for you. Reminds me of my novice days and coming to the Ajahs. Also, if you want to PM someone about their Ajah with questions go for it. We as sister of our Ajahs are here to help you as much as to do what we can for our Ajahs. We want you to find the right place for you.

• Club Leader

Cosmicpanda, I didn't realize you were a Novice, too. Please come play with us in the Aspie rooms. There is so much going on there. You really can just join in anywhere. We'd love to have you play with us!

I know nothing, I see nothing there. No nothing. They are just having fun. Go look for yourself. Go visit your house! Just ask your mentor. Good grief she and I had lots of friends and played in the Aspie quarters enough as novices.

• Club Leader

Ask Lor.  And Pandy *Cuffs himself to Lily......again*  She doesn't like chains.  :P

AGAIN? Oh, sheesh! *shrugs* Well, if I must be cuffed, at least it's to a handsome man.

Pandy, chains don't catch me, sorry. They're too cumbersome. Read House Ospenya for more details. *grinz* How's about a hug, instead?

Archived