DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What scene gave you goosebumps the first time you read it.

Mighty Chin

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

The Golden Crane episode. Not only the speech, but the reaction to it. Cynicism turning to ... I guess ... elation mixed with disbelief that it's coming to pass.

Taim and the kneeling. Just so visceral, the ultimate image of victory through force of arms and a really clear glimpse of who/what the man is.

-- Not goosebumps so much, but one of my favs is the opening of TEotW. Tam and Rand walking down the lane. That whole scene is one of the parts that I always remember.

Two come to mind that have not been mentioned yet...

After moraine and lanfear go through the door, Lan tries to run towards it and Rand holds him with the power and says "You can't save her" and then Lan says "I know.  Light help me, I know" along with the whole tai'shar goodbye scene.  It's Rand and Lans last bonding moment :(.

The other is when Perrin cuts off the shaido's hand and threatens to leave him appendageless in a village to beg for money and the looks he gets from everyone else.  Even Masema is stunned... just badass on perrin's part.

All great scenes guys, love em all! Thanks for reminding me.

Between Elayne and Aviendha though, I always remember when the Gateway collapsed, and how they refused to abandon one another. They fought so desperately. It was really thrilling and touching all at once. That's my favorite scene between those two.

I'm always going to say the scene when Lanfear bursts out of Kadere's wagon, blowing it to pieces and she throws his skin out behind her and it inflates like a flag for a moment to reveal sickeingly what it is, er-was. And she's all: "Lews Therin. You let another woman touch you AGAIN!"

And then she just works everyone in sight. Aiel, Lan, Egwene and Avi. Rand and Moiraine...Just epic.

I love the Cleansing as well, but I really did like the part where Narishma was really defiant to the Salidar Rebels especially when he talked them down, asking them to remember Eben, who fought for his Aes Sedai, even when he should have been dead. He fought so she could live. His Daigian. Daigian's mourning was understated and very briefly mentioned, but I still found it to be elegant paired with Narishma's outburst.

What made me want to read the whole series is actually the whole of Perrin gathering up the Two Rivers behind his leadership.

I started the series at that point, just out of boredom, randomly picking up a book to read to kill time, and the part I fell in on was when Perrin convinces that first farm to leave and head towards Emonds Field for safety. The playful way RJ wrote it just caught me up. The interplay between Faile and Perrin was actually pretty brilliant at that stage. After that once scene I went back in the book all the way to when they were traveling the Ways and until Bran Al Vere Told Perrin that his family had been killed. I welled up and I was totally hooked after that. 

Ah, great memories!

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys thnx i have been thinking about starting this thread u have pretty much got them all but my favs were moiraine on mantheren ingtar's last line even some one like me has a right to choose to sheath my sword and Rand's reply may the creator's palm shelter you and last embrace of mother welcome you home hurin comes will lord ingtar not go with us no he has to take care of some business that gives me chills every time trust me i have got a very lousy memory but i quoted it purely out of my head and my hairs are standing on its ends while i m typing this  and of course last but not least nynaeve's who can forget it RJ's whole depiction of scene was in one word masterful from him describing her kisaan to malkieri shouting golden crane rides again  and we ride to or something to that effect it just blew me away again i find it hard to  type and of course all the other moments u mentioned but for me these three will always be top three

ive read this trough and i couldnt believe my eyes!

i dont think anyone mentioned this one:

moirane and the band are chased by trollocs before shadow logoth. They face the trollocs, and as they charge the fist of trolloc, mat shouts Carai an caldazar carai an ellisande, al ellisande.

Ans after they get away, moirane cites it to an unbelieving mat, who thinks it was gibberish:P

Hmm, there are many scenes that gave me goosebumps, many of them included here. The best speech was definitely the one Moiraine gave in Emond's field about Manetharen. Then of course, there's the last Trolloc fight in Emond's field, where Perrin thinks he's going to die. And before that, the definitely tragic scene of him learning about his family (I just loved that one!).

Other scenes I like are at the very end of the Accepted tests. Especially Nynaeve's, when Siuan pours cold water over her head and says, "You are sealed to us now."

"Kneel or you will be knelt." Courtesy of the kickass Taim.

The war vote in the rebel Hall is also good, so is the golden crane thing (I love that one!)

Oh, but the one scene that really gave me goosebumps was this, from KoD...

"My name is Rand al'Thor. I'm the Dragon Reborn." If they had wept at hearing Semirhage's name, they wailed at hearing his.

That line best described for me just how fearful and awe inspiring the Dragon Prophecies truly are.

I mentioned a long time ago my favorite (goosebump inducing) scene. Here is a quote of what I posted then:

The favorite moment so far was early in the series

Book four: The Shadow Rising

Chapter 10: The Stone Stands

Page 197: Beginning at paragraph 6

Everytime I come across a section where Rand is being pompous and snobbish, I remember this scene and realize just how powerful he really is, yet also vulnerable and simply a man.

As the series develops, Rand may act self-absorbed, but  I don't believe that is his true nature. He plays the part he is expected to play... the Dragon Reborn, a man that must die to save others, because after all "Death can not be healed."

ive read this trough and i couldnt believe my eyes!

i dont think anyone mentioned this one:

moirane and the band are chased by trollocs before shadow logoth. They face the trollocs, and as they charge the fist of trolloc, mat shouts Carai an caldazar carai an ellisande, al ellisande.

Ans after they get away, moirane cites it to an unbelieving mat, who thinks it was gibberish:P

Hehe, yeah, the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" moment in book 1, when Moiraine shows her true strength.

The other one in that book is when she faces Aginor after Balthamel goes down.

Moiriane had been standing back, waiting for her chance and when everyone was clear of Aginor she opened up a chasm beneath his feet and wove a fire vortex around him. For a moment he was stunned by how strongly she channeled, but then he smiled and took a step, then another.

Moiraine's desperate plea for them to run followed by her screams as Rand fled...just chilling.

I don't know if anyone said it already....(short attention/reading span) but when Rand snuck into the trolloc camp and stole back the valere chest.....hairs on my neck stood straight up!! It was the first time ever reading a story where that happened and I've been hooked ever since!(13 years later!)

Like several others have stated, this series is rife with goosebump moments.  One of my favorites is when Galad defeats Eamon Valda in single combat and tells his followers that in order to win the Last Battle, they'll have to fight beside the Aes Sedai.

Two of the saddest goosebump moments (or maybe lump in the throat moments) IMHO, both involve Rand and death.  When he tries to heal the little girl who died in the attack on the Stone of Tear, and when he has to put Fedwin Morr down because the taint took him.

My two coppers...

Guest Dreadlord

When Rand is battling the Seanchan and he is knocked off his horse, and he counter-attacks with Callandor, screaming "You cannot strike at me! I am the Dragon Reborn!" and at the same time Lews Therin is shouting "You cannot defeat me! I am the Lord of the Morning!"

And Taim, who put KoD epilogue up with the best, with the "Let the lord of Chaos rule" comment. Classic.

Also, the first time Lews Therin actually replies to Rand. That was great, how Lews explained how to escape a shield and how Rand burnt three of the Aes Sedai out when he escaped.

One of my fave parts that i don't think has been mentioned is in TSR when Perrin and Co sneak into the Whitecloaks camp to save Mistress Luhhan and Mistress Cauthon and Co, on being discovered Perrin and all the Two Rivers men ride off shouting and causing a distraction so the rest can escape. The next paragraph gets me every single time.

"Perrin," Wil called, leaning forward on the neck of his horse, "what do we do now? What do we do next?"

"We hunt Trollocs!" Perrin shouted over his shoulder. From the way the laughter redoubled, he did not think they believed him. But he could feel Verin's eyes drilling into his back. She knew. Thunder in the night sky echoed the horse's hooves.

That is just pure genius, i love the forth book so much!!!!!!!!

This is such a great thread! So many scenes were so awesome! A few of the ones I feel I must reiterate are:

Moiraine telling the story of Manetheren

The Battle at Falme. One that wasn't mentioned was when Artur Hawking was loath to lead the heroes into battle without the Dragon Banner and Hurin volunteered to carry it, and Hawking praised him and alluded to the fact that Hurin might join that group someday was pretty cool.

I also really liked the two sad scenes mentioned earlier when Rand tried to raise the girl from the dead and when he had to kill that young kid who had went mad.

I loved Dumai's Wells and when the Aes Sedai knelt to Rand, "On a day of fire and blood and the One Power, as prophecy had suggested, the unstained tower, broken, knelt to the forgotten sign."

But my favorite is the Golden Crane incident with Nynaeve representing for Malkier and the Lord of the Seven Towers! That is so badass, I get chills every single time I read it!

Man, I'm so surprised no one came up with this one, It's my all time favorite.

After having watched Tuon see Mat in so many different aspects of his life she finally sees him with his army and still isn't getting it at first, then it finally clicks and she goes off about lions out of place look stupid, but then she's all "Toy was loose on the high plains now" Man, that one gave me chills as I was writing it. Heck yeah go Mat!

I can't get over the glass columns:

How did those few remaining Aes Sedai create them?

Did the Jenn Aiel build them?

They must activate similar to the traps that Rand set around Callandor?

How do they sense your particular blood line?

Are the stories that you experience while walking through the columns true or did the Aes Sedai "bend the truth" to fit their own agendas?

If Tinkers go through will they kill themselves or come out singing the Song?

How much more of the Age of Legends could we see if Avienda went through the columns with us "watching".

Rand's dad must have been a direct descendant of the Gaishan Aiel who worked directly for the Aes Sedai in the Hall of Servants since he was in charge of getting all of the wagons together.  Did he see the same images that Rand did?  If Rand's son enters, will he see the same exact images?

I could almost feel the calming affect of the Chora trees.

Watching the Nym dance while the Ogier and Aiel sang was a good moment.

I really hope that AMoL has time to do more with Rhuidean and the glass columns.

It's hard to pick a single part that gives me goosebumps since there are so many good ones in the series, but my heart lies in Rhuidean with the Tree of Life that Loial has to sing back to health so that clippings can be taken and planted throughout the "city by the lake" that will get completed after some of the Aiel living there get curious about the glass columns and make it through to be the new People of the Dragon (as identified by their nice new tatoo on their forearm).

Not sure if this really counts, it's not so much giving me goosebumps and nor is it one scene but when Mat slowly starts to realise that he has affections for Tuon, that he wants 'her to say the words' and for him to be close enough to hear them and for them to matter.

Really shows the true Mat poking through the cheeky philanderer's skin  ;D

Sorry, Trakand O1...I have to disagree.

I liked Matt the rascal.

He was always up to mischief of some sort, and even though he got caught he kept enjoying life.

Now that he's getting "responsible", he seems to have lost some of his zest (no soap jokes, please).

In my entire life I have known a multitude of people like the "responsible" Matt and very few like the rascal.  Some people don't like the rascals because they are a pest.  I like them because they brighten my day.  :)

Archived