DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What scene gave you goosebumps the first time you read it.

Mighty Chin

Oh I think Mat will always be a rascal. Just because you fall in love doesnt make you 100% responsible  ;D

I liked him in Ebou Dar, but I really like him now.

That's the glory of the series though, there is such a multitude of characters we can all have our favourites without stepping on toes  :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dreadlord

Someone will be stepping on my toe if they say their favorite character is Faile.

Mat is brilliant. His breakthrough with repeating crossbows is great. His plan to prevent Couladin from retreating by shouting "Protect the Lord Dragon!" was genius, if only we had seen it put to good use rather than wasted between chapters

Actually one very small (like, 3 line) paragraph gave me goosebumps last night.

It was when they were chasing Renna to the town before she could tell the Seanchan about Tuon. They see her, struggling up the slope, and he knows if she got down and ran, they'd have no chance of catching her. One of the redarms hefts his crossbow and says "My Lord?". The paragraph says something like 'Mat felt something die inside of him. "Shoot", he said."

Much better than Perrin with the Shaido, IMO.

Then he gets back to the wagon to find Tuon etc still there (despite his orders for them to flee incase he was caught/killed), and when he walks in, she doesnt say "did you catch her, did she get away?" she jsut says "Is she captured, or dead?" - full in the confidence and knowledge that Mat would see the situation straight. I dont think he picks up on the trust she placed in him.

Different people have complained about some of the books not having enough action or the plot dragging on or that it is taking too long to get to the Last Battle.  I'm on my fifth and final reread before AMoL (at present, the wonder girls just rescued "Thera" and got the male adam and seal in Tanchico).  I kinda raced through the first four reads.  This time, I'm taking my time and enjoying the scenery.  This is the best time yet.  There are SO MANY truly EXCELLENT scenes to enjoy!!!  Sure, you have to have a certain amount of patience to get the full impact of the series, but it is worth every precious moment.  There are so few things in life that can be truly enjoyed.  The experiences offered in the WoT should be savored from the Bowl of the Winds to the freezing winds of Shienar and everything in between.  Just one old guy's opinion.  :)

P.S.

With Halloween coming up, the ghost town where they get the grain full of weevils might be a good read?  ::)

Maybe this year I should dress up like a Dragkar and scare the trick-or-treaters!!! >:D

Like you, this is a partial re-read for me. 1-5 it was my 4th read, 6-8 my 3rd and 9/10 my 2nd. 11 is going to be new for me.

Certainly for the earlier books (1-8) I found great joy from reading the descriptions. It's amazing what ruin my minds' eye had done to the palaces, the rooms and the people themselves through skimming over the descriptions to get to the 'meaty bits' as you might say.

You've all mentioned some of my favorites:

-Moiraine's Manetheren story

-Nyneave in KOD, "Will my husband ride alone?" I'm tearing up right now!

-Moiraine defeating Lanfear

-the Horn of Valere scene in book 2

Some others:

-Loial and Haman in KOD running through the manor house shouting "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields!" Whoa, goosebumbs were not even in it, as another poster said.

-Nyneave breaking her block and being rescued by Lan

-Hearing Machin Shin for the first time

-Nyneave's test for accepted, third time through the rings

-Elayne and Avienda becoming first sisters

-Egwene in the Hall when the vote to declare war on Elaida happens

-Egwene in the Tower after her capture, period

-Tam showing up to captain Perrin's assault on the Shaido  

-Elayne, Min and Avienda bonding Rand - more to the point their own reactions to having bonded him - "he is the Car'a'carn, as strong as the 3-fold land itself", "the veins of gold" etc.  

There HAS to be more. I just finished the series again for the umpteenth time, maybe I'll have to start anew to find them...

:)

Oooh, ooh, i forgot - or maybe i posted it before but it bears repeating.

They're all holed up in Emonds Field, with the Trollocs on the doorstep, so to speak. Someone (Aram?) spots a figure running through the woods. They all stand, waiting, watching, they can practically hear the Trollocs breathing. The figure becomes Loial, at a dead run with an injured Gaul in his arms. "Run, Loial!"

Someone will be stepping on my toe if they say their favorite character is Faile.

So you don't like Faile? Could never have guessed...^^ For some reason I've always liked Faile, dunno why... Always liked the... ehh... "strongwilled" ones.

The scene that really gave me goosebumps is at the end of book 2 when Rand finally accepts that he is the Dragon and makes his decision. And when he fights Turak or whatever his name was.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently started reading the forum here at Dragonmount and hadn't planned on registering to make any comments because most everything I would have said has already been said.  ;D 

But after reading this post and realizing that my favorite scene has been left out except for one small mention forced me to rectify the matter and register.  So for good or ill, I'm here.  :P 

On to the reason why I even registered in the first place:

Although all of the scenes that have been mentioned were great, my favorite scene is of Mat and the Windfinders.  The moment when he drew his daggers, stabbed them into the table directly in front of the Mistress of the Ships and declared, "I am the Master of the Blades and my blades are bare!" had me jumping out of my seat.  I could almost see the pull of ta'veren at that moment. 

That and those irritating Windfinders needed their nose pulled out of the clouds.  Gah, they annoy me. . .

One scene that has given me goosebumps everytime I've read it is in Ebou Dar when Mat rushes up to help Elayne and sees the Gholam. Just the way that's written and the fact that it's the first time we've seen anything that's really superhuman in terms of shear physical abilities. It really has a kind of chilling affect.

The bit when Perrin shot Isam in TAR and Luc bore the wound in the real world. I was sat on the edge of my mental seat when that was going on; Perrin seemed about to discover a villain all by himself and then Slayer does one and doesnt come back. I was hoping for a bit of a fued between Perrin and Slayer as it seemed for a brief time to be going that way.

Another one of my favorite bits is when Padan Fain shows up in Far Madding, and Rand and Lan confront him. It had been a while since we saw him, he did illusions, and we learned taht Fains abilities work even where channeling doesnt.

Manetheren Speech - tEotW

"The prophecies will be fulfilled. The Dragon has been reborn" - tEotW

Mat blowing the Horn of Valere - tGH

Artur Hawkwing speaking - tGH

Rand lifting up Callandor and declaring himself - tDR

Alcair Dal - tSR

Asmodean Fight - tSH

RAAAAHHVINN! - tFoH

"HOW FARES THIS WORLD, DEMANDRED?" - LoC

Mazrim Taim's arrival - LoC

Liah's disappearance - aCoS

The Healing of stilling/gentling - I for got which book :O

The cleansing of Saidin - WH

"Bloody Matrim Cauthon is my husband" - KoD

Mat blowing the Horn of Valere - tGH and Battle of Dumai's Wells

This was the first real goosebumps for me :) and after that they just did keep on comming..book after book :D

But i must say, the Sea Folk parts of the books realy is kind of anoying and a ANTIgoosebump. Cant help hate them  >:( feels like "filler" to make everything happen mutch slower.

It was at the end of one of the later books near the middle of the series (I forget which).

It was the scene when Egwene showed the hall that she was the Amyrlin Seat and not some pawn of the Hall, where she brought up the issue of war against the Tower.  I think the first time I read that, I literally said, "Whoa." out loud.

It was at the end of one of the later books near the middle of the series (I forget which).

It was the scene when Egwene showed the hall that she was the Amyrlin Seat and not some pawn of the Hall, where she brought up the issue of war against the Tower.  I think the first time I read that, I literally said, "Whoa." out loud.

I LOVE THAT. I re-read it all the time.

Although the Aes Sedai vomiting is a bit much.

Whenever something shocking happens, Aes Sedai seem to vomit.  Seaine does it when they find out Talene is Black Ajah.  Personally, I was not aware of this sort of biological reaction existing.  I guess Aes Sedai have weak stomachs.  ;D

Whenever something shocking happens, Aes Sedai seem to vomit.  Seaine does it when they find out Talene is Black Ajah.  Personally, I was not aware of this sort of biological reaction existing.  I guess Aes Sedai have weak stomachs.  ;D

It truly is weird. A member on another forum attacked the WoT with that- and I could say nothing in defense. Indeed, I was on the offensive myself because there is no biological sense in vomiting at bad or shocking news. Generally, upsetting the stomach requires powerful visual appearances or biological malfunctions (disease). I've yet to see something like that in real life.

AS also vomited when three of them got stilled. Funnily enough, it was the other AS who vomited. (oh please).

I think the scene where Egwene is going through the ceremony to become accepted is quite chilling. Especially when she realises she is about to be turned to the shadow.

Also Rand chopping off that woman's head and killing the rest of her party.then making the bodies bow to him was pretty bad.

Also Rand chopping off that woman's head and killing the rest of her party.then making the bodies bow to him was pretty bad.

That was one of my favorite scenes.  It really showed that Rand wasn't entirely in the best of mental health.  And it was awesome! 

Rand: "That's the way it's supposed to be, right?"

All very good scenes mentioned so far, my fav's would have to be mat's stabbing the table at the sea folk and of course the golden crane thing,and the clensing, though perrin being my fav character id have to say my favvorite scenes were:

Aram drawing the sword and his grandmother leaping at him them perrin shouting her off, or the one with the whitecloak coming in to town to arrest perrin- Shadow Rising

aram turning on him when hes rushing to save faile - KoD

Perrin chopping off that captured shaido's apendages and then the enevitable throwing the axe away and making the hammer his main weapon- not sure book maybe KoD too or one before it

dumani wells, best shit ever a long with the other battle scene in the tairen estates where rand(lewis therim) does the vortexes of doom - KoD?

as well as when loail sees his mom again along with the elder and his fiance- KoD?

and of course rand's hand/arm/w/e being cut off, superb- KoD

knowing moraine was still alive from letter she gave to thom- some book

siuan unamyrlinining( might be a word, try saying amyrlin 5 times fast) which raises a question the ive never heard, elaida comes in w/e does her stuff then stuff's her out into the keepers study where she find's her warder alric( remember that name only time hes ever mentioned, obscure fact and all) stabbed in back, isnt an aes sedai suppose to feel when her warder dies or is injured, this never made any sense to me - Shadow Rising

another odd nail bitter is when u find out the cairhein(sp?) school rand founded had invented cars or something, i mean wtf, and when the 'head scholar' of the school is found chopped to pieces, creepy

Archived