DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What scene gave you goosebumps the first time you read it.

Mighty Chin

Heres a list I made a while ago. Most chilling/memorable lines from each book:

TEotW: Weep for Manethren(Moirraine)

TGH: I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I'm sure of it. Come. It is time to die.

TDR: Come its time to hunt brother(Hopper to Perrin at the end)

TSR: The Maidens carry my honour (Rand before going into Alcair dal)

TFoH: RAAHVIINNNNN

LoC: Kneel to the Lord Dragon or you will be knelt.(Taim)

CoS: What language speak we Hornsounder?

PoD: I am the storm, Come Shaitan!

I dont remeber exactly how it went, so I'll edit it in later when I can refer to the books, but I mean the quote when Rand is wielding Callandor in while fighting the Seanchan and goes nuts.

WH: When the Moon turns Green(Rand to Lan when Lan asks him to let him fall of the roof). The whole cleansing of Saidin is one of the most exciting things iv ever read too.

CoT: Think on whether keeping my wife is worth it (Perrin to the captured

Shaido after he chops of his hand)

KoD: My husband rides towards Tarwins Gap, towards Tarmon Gaidon will he ride alone?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon re-reading this series there have been many moments that I teared up as well as giving me shivers. But no other scene has touched me more than this one in Knife of Dreams.

The Golden Crane, Chapter 20 I believe. This is where Nynaeve drops Lan off in the Saldaea then proceeds to a Tavern to inform them that Lan will be riding towards Tarwins Gap to Shayol Gul and she wants to know if he will ride alone. ( Holy Crap , just writing that gave me shivers)

I have read that chapter so many times and it never gets old.

What's Your favorite scene.

That one. It's the only one that actually makes me start to cry, even just thinking about it. It makes me want to grab a sword and head for Tarwin's Gap.

Second place goes to the scene where Perrin tells the wolves Shadowkiller has been caged and the response is simply "We come." That one gets me a little, too.

Kudos to Robert Jordan! If there was ever a thread to read and know how much we miss such a great man, it's this one. I have so many (and most have already been mentioned)that I could go on for pages.

A moment of silence for a truly great man.  :'(  We miss him so, but at least we have his books to keep him alive in our hearts.

TGH: I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I'm sure of it. Come. It is time to die.

That reminded me of another favourite. When Rand takes everyone through the portal stones in TGH but messes up.

"I win again Lews Therin" ohhhhhh.

Hmmmm.  Yes.  Yes to all.  What a fun thread to read through.  I think it may be time for a re-read...

The only faves of mine that I didn't see on the list were:

Elayne and Avi's adoption ("if you are ever tempted to strike her, remember that you already have and for no better reason than that you were told to...")

Nyn's last pass through the Accepted Terangreal.  Remember?  When she was married to Lan and Malkier was whole?

Oh.  And did anyone mention The Golden Crane? :P

ooh, the very last scene of TEotW "Prophecy has been fulfilled, the dragon is reborn."

the first paragraph of every first chapter.  especially the first time I read TEotW.  I really had to push myself through the prologue the first time since I didnt really know what was going on, but once I started chapter 1 "OMG this is going to be epic beyond reason."

Mat and the windfinders at the end of book seven when he tells them to just sit down and shut up.

Tam's fever dream.

Narg smart.  I was just like "Word."

This one didnt really give me goosebumps, but it made me giggle.  Birgitte returning from getting drunk with mat and preceding to go dunk her own head in water. 

Oh, and Elayne and Rand doing the mattress mombo.  Birgittes response...Priceless.

there are probably 12 dozen other scenes that I cannot think of that also fit into this thread.  Please god dont let hollywood ruin this.

Guest Dreadlord

Dumais Wells. What a scene. The first time we see the Ashaman in action, and itdefinitely wasnt a dissapointment.

Also the Cleansing, Rands first miracle.

Elayne and Avi's adoption ("if you are ever tempted to strike her, remember that you already have and for no better reason than that you were told to...")

Oh.  And did anyone mention The Golden Crane? :P

I loved that scene with Avi and Elayne. Avi makes me laugh and cry in the scene.

Golden Crane "woot woot"

The epilogue of KoD where Taim says "Remember the old saying. Let the Lord of Chaos rule" or something similar and all the Ashaman start laughing along with him.

The whole Golden Crane thing.

I think the chapter is called "To make an anchor weep" in KoD where Logain says "Mourn if you must but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gaidon" to the Sea Folk.

Dumai Wells. Taim's "Kneel or you will be knelt" is a classic line.

The part where Rand loses it fighting the Seanchan with callandor.

The Cleansing definitely is a favourite read of mine in Winter's Heart.

I also got emotional during...

The split at the White Tower when Siuan and Leane were stilled and freed

The Healing of Logain, Siuan and Leane

Cadsuane's Arrival

When Birgitte wakes up and realizes she is not in TAR anymore

Elayne and Aviendha's adoption as first sisters

Moiraine's battle with Lanfear

and the scene between Nynaeve and Rand after they killed Rhavin.

just to name a few, heheh.

It looks like most everyone was as touched by "The Golden Crane" scene as I was. I'm a 50 year old compulsive reader and RJ has evoked more emotional responses in me(goosebumps,if you will)than any other author I have read.(And that's a lot of writers).

Another tear jerker,IMHO,was Perrins letter to Faile before the Battle of Aomonds(sp?)Field,(Harriet must have gotten some great love letters)and the battle itself,(ordinary folks fighting for survival against overwhelming odds.). 

Just reading the list gives me chills.  For me, the end of TGH from Egwene's rescue to the end, especially when Moiraine shows Rand the chalk drawing of him and Baalzamon battling in the clouds.  What an image!

Also, not quite as goosebumpy as the rest of the list, but one of my favorite lines in the series is in TFOH when Rand is receiving fealty from the Cairhienin nobility and is already thinking about moving against Sammael and Rahvin:  "They will learn what it means to anger The Dragon."  I love that line.

Too many to be even close to remembering all right away...

And quite a few already mentioned, like Moiraine telling the story of Manetheren.

Mat blowing the Horn, but especially him making the decision to do so.

Dumais Wellls...Not the battle in itself, but Rands desperation in the box.

Rand svaing Lan in Far Madding.

Rand seeing the history of the Aiel, my favourite scene in the entire series.

Nynaeve finally beating her block.

Nynaeve leaving Lan in KOD.

Lan saying goodbye to Rand after Moiraine had "died".

Egwene and Avi being punished in the Aiel waste, Egwene knowing that she could just sneak back to bed, and none would be the wiser, and then continues to run.

Speaking of Egwene and punishment, her admitting she has toh, and asks to be allowed to face the consequences.

Mats attempts to escape the battle of Cairhien, only to end up leading a small army instead ;D

Perrin asking Moiraine about wolf brothers, after freeing the one who turned "wolf".

Rand facing the Amyrlin.

Elayne bonding Birgitte.

Just to mention a few  ;D

Reading all of these brought one other scene to mind for me. It was in The Great Hunt when Lan is preparing Rand for his meeting with The Amyrlin Seat. When Lan is told that only Rand can enter, right at the end Lan yells out Tai-shar Manetheren in the background.

I agree that Rand vs Amyrlin Seat was awesome.

"Why are you talking to me like this, Mother?" he asked. "You should be gentling me."

The Amyrlin Seat frowned and turned to Moiraine. "Did Lan teach him this?"

"No, Mother. He had it from Tam al'Thor."

"Why?" Rand demanded again.

The Amyrlin Seat looked him straight in the eye and said, "Because you are the Dragon Reborn."[/i]

Perrins fight with the axe he soo hates and it coming a hairslength away from killing Faile at the end of the battle. I know I am on the shortside of perrin/faile fans but I am also a sappy bugger and believe in the power of "love".  also when Perrin and Davram have thier talk ( found it hilarious that Perrin crushed his cup). Everytime the dice stop rolling - period!!! and finally, rands slow but steady loss of compassion - Cadsuane really needs to work with that boy or we will end up trading one shadow for another.

I can't remember Nynaeve's Accepted test as much as Egwene's, but when they are about to gentle Rand and she is ready to swing from the rafters to get to him and the door is there. Then, when she gets out of the Terangreal.

"IS THAT ALL THERE IS FOR ME TO FAIL HIM AGAIN"  or something like that.

I can't remember Nynaeve's Accepted test as much as Egwene's, but when they are about to gentle Rand and she is ready to swing from the rafters to get to him and the door is there. Then, when she gets out of the Terangreal.

"IS THAT ALL THERE IS FOR ME TO FAIL HIM AGAIN"  or something like that.

That was Egwene's Accepted test.  Her 3 fears all dealt with Rand channeling.  Nynaeve's were Aginor, the Two Rivers, and Lan.  Hopefully I'm misinterpreting your post.

Archived