DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What scene gave you goosebumps the first time you read it.

Mighty Chin

Upon re-reading this series there have been many moments that I teared up as well as giving me shivers. But no other scene has touched me more than this one in Knife of Dreams.

The Golden Crane, Chapter 20 I believe. This is where Nynaeve drops Lan off in the Saldaea then proceeds to a Tavern to inform them that Lan will be riding towards Tarwins Gap to Shayol Gul and she wants to know if he will ride alone. ( Holy Crap , just writing that gave me shivers)

I have read that chapter so many times and it never gets old.

What's Your favorite scene.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great question! I'm on book 7 at the moment, and the parts that have given me goosebumps (ones that I've reread a lot aswell :D ) were:

Aginor and Balthamel's arival in EoTW

Kadere strangling Isendre (love Kadere's PoV) in FoH

Rand getting it on with Aviendha ;) in FoH

Pedron Niall's murder in aCoS prologue

``I'm rereading LoC atm and today i just read the nyneave healing Suain and Egwene is Amyrilian moments and got chills''

Definitely one of the more dramatic moments, and so it doth seem to me, a good thing to bring up for those who think that there is nothing all that wonderful after the first three volumes.

There are a lot of parts that give me goosebumps. One for other reasons, but most for how much I love them.

The Nynaeve/Moghedien Showdown in TAR where Moggy gets caught in the a'dam

Halima freeing Moggy

The Cleansing of saidin

Mesaana's appearances to Alviarin

Rand and friends in the Portal Stone World where they meet Selene

The Bowl of Winds

Faile's rescue

Nynaeve getting past her block

And there's one part that gives me shivers, but more for how insanely intense and scary it is. I get freaked out when Elayne and Nynaeve try to teach the Salidar core group to Dreamwalk and they get caught in the nightmare. It's so descriptive that i can just picture it perfectly and it's so freaky.

Ok, Perrin and Faile haters, don't beat me up too badly for this one. =)

My favorite is in The Shadow Rising where Perrin has just married Faile, and sends her to Caemlyn so she'll be safe, and the Two Rivers people are all fighting the Trollocs. Perrin is sure he's going to die and then Faile shows up with help. I laugh and cry every time I read that, I just love it! It's such a touching scene when he scoops her up into his saddle and rides back into town with all the people cheering.

And also, the Prologue to Eye of the World.

The prologue to EotW. It is why I even read books at all. There are so many great moments, but none that had reached me on that level. I had only read 1 or 2 books my whole life before that prologue. I was at one point reading a book a day after reading the rest of the book. Those few pages opened me to a whole world i never knew was there. This will always be my favorite series for what it introduced me too. And they are great books.

The deposing of the Amyrlin Seat.

Completely unexpected and astounding scene. I kept expecting someone to intervene right to the point where Siuan woke in the cells. Never thought it would happen-even with Min's viewings.

This was very sadly completely ruined for me.  When I bought my books, they came in three-book sets.  I went to pick up book 4 and picked up book 6 instead, from the other end of the little book-box.  They'd been packed in there wrong and I was so eager to continue the story that I never even saw the "Book Six" on the cover.  It starts off with Elaida as Amyrlin (very first scene) thinking and Siuan being deposed, stilled, and escaping.  Yeah, thanks lack of paying attention.  It's sad that I got 16 pages into it before I realized RJ wasn't just doing some neat time jump thing and noticed I'd skipped two books.

Anyway, the single most goosebumpy moment for me was when Rand was going back through the Aiel history in Rhuiden and there was this moment where it all clicked, right before they outright said it, that the Aiel and the Tinkers were of the same people.  That was just a little mind blowing, and seeing their evolution as a people is still one of my favorite little sections of the whole series.

Second place is the Ter'angreal door melting.  That one scared me, I kept reading and going "But she's okay, right?  Moraine is right there and she'll be able to come back through the door or something... wait, the door is melting, the door can't melt! She's still in there!" and then when the bond with Lan snapped I was just stunned.  My Moraine was gone. :(

In the first book, when Moiraine is telling the story of Manetheren to the Two Rivers folk, wow, talk about goosebumps.

Loved that scene, it's one of my favorites.

Also enjoyed the memories Rand views from his ancestor's eyes in Rhuidean, my favorite memory is when the Bore to the Dark One's prison is made, the description of the crystal sphere and black flames shooting out. Wow, cool stuff. :o ;D

Anyway, the single most goosebumpy moment for me was when Rand was going back through the Aiel history in Rhuiden and there was this moment where it all clicked, right before they outright said it, that the Aiel and the Tinkers were of the same people.  That was just a little mind blowing, and seeing their evolution as a people is still one of my favorite little sections of the whole series.

YES.  There is no better sign of a great fantasy saga than the ache of a great age that has been lost forever.  I especially loved the scene where Jonai walks into the Hall of Servants and sees the Aes Sedai planning the Eye of the World.  Especially, where he thinks to himself, "He did not think he would ever see such a gathering of males again." 

Ok, Perrin and Faile haters, don't beat me up too badly for this one. =)

My favorite is in The Shadow Rising where Perrin has just married Faile, and sends her to Caemlyn so she'll be safe, and the Two Rivers people are all fighting the Trollocs. Perrin is sure he's going to die and then Faile shows up with help. I laugh and cry every time I read that, I just love it! It's such a touching scene when he scoops her up into his saddle and rides back into town with all the people cheering.

This.  I knew right off what the dying man's "We are coming" meant, but it was just a great scene.

This whole series is about goosebumps. Haha.

It's really neat what touches people and what doesn't - anyway.

Dumai's Wells was amazing. Especially Taim when he steps in on the Aes Sedai + the whole orderng Asha'man thing. Scary and intense. Rand breaking out of the box was awesome - his whole point of view thing.

The trolloc bit in the first book is what actually got me reading the whole series. It was late at night, me alone in the dark with a light to read by. Raining. Well, probably not raining but it sets the scene better. Intense stuff.

So many good scenes, I can't even begin to name them all.

Hearing the books read added a bit for me, too, especially where Moiraine gives that speech in Eye of the World. Super fun.

Lews Therin taking the source before Rand could snag it. That all the way up until the end where Logain is all like 'dude, I know you are stronger than me.. take a chill pill' and everyone else suddenly perks up to that.

Archived