DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Demandred is hiding....

Tigara

I do like that idea, and it can't be discarded, but it seems like Demandred is the like to command armies as well as using subversion. I suppose an army of Shadowspawn and darkfriends might be all he needs, though, so he's focusing on subversion now. And T'A'R would be a good place to do so.

I do like that idea, and it can't be discarded, but it seems like Demandred is the like to command armies as well as using subversion. I suppose an army of Shadowspawn and darkfriends might be all he needs, though, so he's focusing on subversion now. And T'A'R would be a good place to do so.

Still I think Demandred is hiding somewhere in Randland, because you can't live of what you finds in TAR, and I don't think Demandred would take refuge in some crapy house. So its likely that he got a kingdom to rule(atleast an armie :)

I'm not so sure about this. Its an interesting theory, but Hopper was pretty clear in TDR that if you enter the Wolfdream (aka TAR) fully  in the body for too long, then your body becomes weak and either dies or is trapped there. (we find this in the chapter where Perrin is trying to rescue Faile from the Ter meant to trap Moiraine when they were in Tear...) We have not seen any explanation that I can recall that would prove otherwise and it seems to me that to contradict what we should assume is a law of physics regarding TAR this late in the series would require a tremendous amount of explaining.

Its a really great theory/idea, but it just doesn't seem realistic purely based on the understanding that I have of fully entering TAR. All we've seen until now are rather short stays for people that enter TAR in the flesh.

I like someone's idea about building a massive army in the blight. Its much more believable w/ what we know of Dam's background and personality. If hiding in TAR were in fact possible for extensive periods of time (in this case, we're talking years, right?) someone like Mog would have fit that bill alot better.

Either way, if someone can provide a quote contrary to what Hopper talks about regarding entering TAR in the flesh, i'd be interested in seeing it!

but Hopper was pretty clear in TDR that if you enter the Wolfdream (aka TAR) fully  in the body for too long, then your body becomes weak and either dies or is trapped there. (we find this in the chapter where Perrin is trying to rescue Faile from the Ter meant to trap Moiraine when they were in Tear...)

Actually what Hopper was speaking of was entering the World of Dreams too fully as a dreamer, not in the flesh. The danger is that as the connection between the body and the soul grows smaller, the body begins to fail--apparently it is a state with several easily recognisable symptoms, amongst them being that the skin goes cold and hard.

In any case, Perrin never entered the dream in the flesh, his body remained in the room in the inn beside Faile.

As for living in TAR--i think its unlikely. For one thing it would put you out of the loop in terms of events, for another we know that food and drink consumed in TAR will not sustain the physical body. And then there are other things which i suspect would be unpleasent... like, what happens when you fall asleep in the dream?

but Hopper was pretty clear in TDR that if you enter the Wolfdream (aka TAR) fully  in the body for too long, then your body becomes weak and either dies or is trapped there. (we find this in the chapter where Perrin is trying to rescue Faile from the Ter meant to trap Moiraine when they were in Tear...)

Actually what Hopper was speaking of was entering the World of Dreams too fully as a dreamer, not in the flesh. The danger is that as the connection between the body and the soul grows smaller, the body begins to fail--apparently it is a state with several easily recognisable symptoms, amongst them being that the skin goes cold and hard.

ahhh, good point Luckers. I forgot about that small detail. You do, however, bring up other good points about the difficulties that would arise

Its possible that Demandred hasn't established himself in a permanent base at all, and instead is a sort of "Chosen-at-large".  With the way he's been sort of trying to pass himself off as a sort of supervisor (stepping in which Ishy was busy being dead, running the Semi-Mesaana-himself trio) and possibly being a general-in-the-field, he may not have bothered with a place to hang his hat.

But the points against Tel'aran'rhiod seem pretty valid.  The more its talked about, the less likely it seems.

Was there not one of the Forsaken - Sammael I believe - who said that events in the south had the mark of Demandred all over it? Not sure he said south, but I know he did pick a specific direction. He could be wrong, of course, but it wouldn't hurt to speculate ;D

These are the Southern most nations that haven't already had a Forsaken settled in (by the way, does anyone remember where it is that Graendal settled?):

Altara

Tarabon

Amadicia

Ghealdan

Murandy

Mayene

So is, or was, there any special goings-on in one of these nations that could point a finger to Demandred?

we can reliable mark off  Altara,  tarabon ,  Ghealdean, and Mayene.  that leaves amadicia/whitecloaks void left by a dead ailron prime place  for  demandred to   maneuver in  and form a base of power and Murandy where  the  king has visions  of  tying the  other lords of the land to him and paid  talmanes  and  the rest of mats  band there to stir up a little "chaos". im still thinking hes in murandy but i wouldnt be shocked if he was in amadicia :)  

I have this nagging feeling that he has his base somewhere in the Blight, where he (as the self-proclaimed über general) is in charge of building the Shadows army. And from there he goes off to operate behind the scenes in Randland.

Given his POV in the LoC prologue I don't think he is in the blight. He remarks that the Myrddraal must be gnashing their teeth and so forth, to me he doesn't seem up to speed with the events of that part of the operation.

Also, I don't think he has much interest in building the army, commanding it when the time comes though, that's more like him.

I don't think we've seen him, he's moving about Randland pulling strings on his various Darkfriend proxies, trying to do the Great Lords bidding.. or at least he was until Moridin became Nae'blis. 

Any chance Demandred to be Taim?

No.  Zero chance.

Week 4 Question: At recent book signing following the release of Crossroads of Twilight, it was reported that you confirmed that the Forsaken Demandred has never posed as the man known as Mazrim Taim, who was introduced to Rand at the beginning of Lord of Chaos. Have you confirmed that Demandred has never posed as the man known as Mazrim Taim, leader of the Black Tower?

Robert Jordan Answers: Yes. Demandred has never posed as Mazrim Taim. All right, those of who fell over from the shock of a simple, straightforward answer can get up off the floor now.

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=152

I dont think we will see Demandred until the very last, and we may never know which persona he took on. IMO he will appear at TG or slightly before (or slightly after, depending on how well/bad it goes for the Dark) purely as Demandred.

I think we're meant to wonder.

I also dont think we'll ever find out who killed Asmodean. Every story needs something that we think "Gotta find out!!" to keep us reading through 3 very very long drawn out books.

Personally i read because of personal interest in the characters but we're all different.

Archived