DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did Robert Jordan change my life? Good question... Well, he changed my life by opening my eyes to an amazing fantasy world... Through his books, I really enjoyed the pleasure of reading. For that, I am sincerely thankful.

As a fan, it is sad to know that he is no longer among us. However, through his, fantasy stories he earned my admiration. He will always be one of my favorite book writers by allowing me to dive into his fantasy world as if it were my own.

I still remember moments while reading his books when suddenly he made me laugh... Thank you Mr. Jordan for taking the time to share the Wheel of time with all of us.

Rest in peace,

Sincerely,

Rss

• 3 weeks later...

Very well put, reading a series of books with the length of these either turn you away or they absorb you. I've been absorbed, many evenings reading I almost expected to see my name added to Rand, Matt and Perrin, I was pulled into their world I felt like I was there right along side them. Lately I've been listening to the audio books and am amazed when I find myself at work after being absorbed by Emonds Field.

RIP, James Oliver Rigney, you live on in your wonderful books and the hearts of your family, friends and fans.

• 3 weeks later...

To say I was shocked at the news of his passing would be understatement; not only the news itself, but that life found a way from keeping the news from me for over two years.  You will be greatly missed, your writing is made to be inspiring.

On a personal note:

I discovered tWoT late, I happened upon the paperback sets (the 1st 3 and 2nd 3) in 1997 while looking for something new to read.  Very little inspired me at that time and I was going through somewhat of a personal crisis.  I started reading and found it nearly impossible to stop.  I quickly finished through the 7th and while waiting for the eighth something clicked in me; not one of the flip the switch and everything is so clear clicks (if nothing else, his writings show those almost never happen); instead it was one of awareness - that only I have the tools to solve my own problems (and that most of the time I WAS my own problem).

The WoT series set me on a path that inspired me to bring together a lifetime of writing aspirations into something much closer to actual accomplishment.  It inspired me to go back to school and finish a BS in Physics (and create plans to go even further).  It also gave me the foundation that helped me stay calm and realize life doesn't always let you decide which order your "aspirations becoming reality" occur in.

Robert Jordan..., James Oliver Rigney, Jr., I hope one day to write a dedication to you in my own novel.

I'm not much good with words, so i find it difficult to describe exactly how i was effected by the series. Still, i know that i am a different person for having read them, and i would not trade the experience for all the gold in the world. My only regret is never being able to speak with him, what an experience that would have been.

Thank you Robert Jordan, may you rest in peace, as your words rest in our hearts.

I NEVER EVER read before I was a sophomore in High School, that was the year my older brother handed me EotW.  I finished that book in three days which was amazing for someone who never enjoyed reading.

Since that wonderful day when Jordan's masterpiece was put in my hands I have loved to read.  And I have now become one of the most read out of all my friends.  And for that I could never thank Mr. Jordan enough.

Universal Mind

As I re-read The Wheel of Time I think of James Oliver Rigney Jr. I come here and I read his blog and feel a gutwrenching sadness as I read about what he went through during his last year here, on this earth. I feel for his family and I feel for us fans - a loss.

It is incredible how one person can touch so many "just" by putting words on paper. I can almost see how he sat at his computer/desk scratching his beard while wrestling with a word or a meaning of a paragraph. I can also see how his eyes must have had that boyish gleam of unsurpressed joy when he found the path, the way he knew he wanted his story to travel. I can see him standing in his "Armory" waving a sword about just to get the feeling right before placing Rand before the Seanchan High Lord. I feel sad when I think how he won't do that any more. I feel for him.

It is bloody hard to put words on feelings but I tried. I hope the Wheel of

Time will spinn him out again to live a life with the same joys and love that he had in this life but without illness. I wish it to spinn him out so that he can go salmon fishing on majestic rivers. I wish.

James Oliver Rigney Jr, you are missed.

As I tell so many here, he is never truly gone so long as we read the books for we shall always find him hidden in plain sight in those words. Though he has past from this world into the halls of heroes that is reserved for those who have made a large impact in this world, I am sure he watches us and smiles, for he knows he left his legacy in good hands.

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, memory fades to legend, and even legends fade when the age that gave it birth comes again. In one age, called the third age by some, a memory was born that shall break this rule, for it shall endure thorough out the ages, never fading, only growing stronger as time goes on.

As I tell so many here, he is never truly gone so long as we read the books for we shall always find him hidden in plain sight in those words. Though he has past from this world into the halls of heroes that is reserved for those who have made a large impact in this world, I am sure he watches us and smiles, for he knows he left his legacy in good hands.

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, memory fades to legend, and even legends fade when the age that gave it birth comes again. In one age, called the third age by some, a memory was born that shall break this rule, for it shall endure thorough out the ages, never fading, only growing stronger as time goes on.

I agree. He is still here in his work, his stories. Thinking about that does make it less sad that he is not here in flesh. But only a little.

They say a picture is worth more than a thousand words. Yet, the question at hand is can a thousand words paint a picture worthy enough to portray Mr. Jordon. I will try.

I started reading Mr. Jordon's wheel of time series in late 1999 and several times thought of picking up the phone book to see if i could find him listed here in Charleston, South Carolina. He captured my imagination and inspired me to write poetry and attempt my own novel through the sheer imagination and detail placed in his books. He allowed me to step away from my problems and into a new world which allowed me a view of myself and a view of the world which currently surrounded me. Through my imagination which was aflame from his eloquent prose I lived other lives and in other times. It assisted me in my daily life by allowing an outlet by which I might relax and find enjoyment. I actually did pick up the phone book and looked up Jordan under the listings and found numerous entries but sadly never had the initiative to see if one of the Robert's in there might have actually been THE Robert Jordan. I'd go to the bookstore and manage to find out I had either just missed a signing or would not be able to make the next one due to work assignments. So even though I never truly met him I do feel that through his writing he exposed his true self.

Mr. Jordan took me upon flights of fantasy that near bordered reality with the amount of detail my imagination lent to his prose. The books that he wrote enthralled me and left me dreading having to turn to that last page which said the story would be continued in yet another book. I personally cannot wait to see how closely this new author can come to Mr. Jordan's achievements for in my eyes i must say he has some mighty footsteps to follow in. If the family by chance reads this my only desire for you is that you realize what a truly extraordinary individual James(Mr. Jordan) truly was and that he left you with the warmest and most imaginative memories that he could create for you. If the author who will be following in his footsteps reads this then i truly wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Mr. Jordan you are greatly missed by your family your fans and I

Sincerely,

Robert Williams

I never met Robert Jordan but I loved him all the same.  He wrote to the beat of a different drum and he inspired me. He allowed me to more than a reader of a book.  From the first page with the first words i was not hearing the story I was in the story.  I rode that gust of wind into the living being, Rand Al'thor loved Egwene and I despised the trollocs.  I despaired, fearful of myself.  I befriended an Ogier and I walked the ways. I fought the forsaken, those without death and thought them fear.  I led the Aeil and showed them the truth. I drew the sword that was not a sword.  I am the boy yet I am the sword.  I am a shepherd, the Dragon Reborn.

So..........we are all SOL now. Tough times.......Came here looking to find the skinny on the next book release. I am floored to find out Robert (always to me) is dead. It is like the world just stopped. Apparently I just climbed out of my tree to clue into the world... it was nice being oblivious but now here I am.I have read and re-read his books for the last 15 years. I have 2 copies of all his books- one to read and one to cherish. I grew up with him. His characters are so real to me....the way that the women brow beat the men into submission......story of my life...Mat the dirt bag....Perrin the reluctant hero...and Rand of the many wives...I always thought it would be a nice trilogy...then maybe it would end at 10....but Robert kept on weaving his story and I followed along faithfully knowing that at some point he would weave everything back together again. Now what? Robert....hope you are still writing in heaven. When I get there I'll look forward to the next 10 books. To everyone else......I can't put into words how someone who I have never met has put a mark on my life as I am sure he has touched others. Our common thread is our common loss.

I started reading WoT when I was 15, and the books he wrote reflected my life at that time. Perrin not knowing how to handle women, Rand struggling with his true identity, Egwene's fight to be seen as an adult by those who known her her whole life. RJ helped me grow up a bit. He that me to question everything. That everyone really does have the same problems, just at different times. Now I'm 27, I proposed to my girlfriend in December,me and my now fiancee are about to get ready to have our first child. I'm looking WoT to help me in this new era of my life. Thank You, RJ.

I still remember were I was when I learned He past.  I was working that morning. My mom txt'ed me to tell me he died. the first moment I had I went online onmy cell to read for myself, hoping she was wrong. ( She told me Robert Plant died when Robert Palmer died) She wasn't, I was in shock, I tried to explain to people, my girlfriend, close friends. No one truly understood.

I still remember when I LoC in the library, I had to read becuase it was so thick, but I had to start in the begining...

I still remember reading the first "new" book PoD, it was like christmas...

I still remember annoying the guy and borders about the new RJ book...

I still remember RJ and always will.

I think everyone needs people that inspire them, and that is what Robert Jordan will always be to me.

He was not only a writer of the first class, a man who created a world that I absolutely love, one that I can always escape to and find comfort in during times of trouble. But even more than that - he was a man that lived life as it should be lived. Even when given a raw deal, Robert Jordan never changed the person he was. And that is as inspiring as anything he put on the page.

I feel happy to have had the Wheel of Time in my life for so long.

• 4 weeks later...

To honor RJ I got two tattoos, one is matt, perrin, and rand's symbols and the other is the wheel and snake. The next tattoo im getting will be two harron marked swords crossing over my family crest. I cant explain how much his work has influenced my life and will continue to. download?mid=1%5f13850%5fAFjFtEQAATb%2bSbKs4QfCUGtcyrg&pid=2.1&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Hello, I am currently new. I found it odd that all of these topics are you guys mourning. From what I've read on reviews about 6 through 10 (I'm currently just getting to 5 and loving every book so far), isn't it ironic? He drags it out and in return never gets to see it finished.

Quite the contrary, actually. He spent years shaping the world of WoT into an actual world, filled with life, where even the people that only had half a page of spotlight had a name, a personality and a life prior to when they were introduced.

You say he never got to see it finished? No... I say, he already knew how it would end, it being a major plot i'm certain he'd have it in his notes somewhere. Sanderson said that part was written out already.

As for the topics here being those of people in mourning... That's because this Tribute section was intended for it. For general discussion and such, there's the other sections of the forum, located further down ^^;

As Jeh said, it happens, you would be surprised how many of us post on accident in the wrong area.

But then, he did see it through, he knew where it was going, and he told the last book most likely to his close friends and family, the way a good story should be told, by way of mouth.

Archived