DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

Ever since I got into WoT and it just changed my life in so many ways, I wanted to thank Robert Jordan. I wanted to thank him for helping me escape from a rough childhood and my early teenage years. I wanted to thank him for creating such an immense story and a realistic world that grabbed my imagination. Not only this but he opened my eyes up to a new level of spirituality. I know that might sound odd, but his world and the way it worked and how they all thought on things just seemed to make more sense than what I believed, so I found a new path on spirituality and my life has just been so much better. All due to Robert Jordan.

For several years I followed his book tours online, hoping that he would come near me. The nearest he came to me I believe was either Dallas or Austin and I never got a chance to go up and meet him. This was probably do to my hectic work schedule in those days, or lack of money. I've met my fair share of famous people in my life, but those experiences would have meant nothing compared to meeting someone who really inspired me and helped me in ways I don't think he could imagine.

I was quite sad when I heard of Robert Jordan's death. My initial reaction wasn't "Oh my god the book series isn't done!" it was "The literary world, especially in the fantasy genre will never be the same again". I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried, and I knew a few other WoT readers who did as well. I wish I could have met him but in a way I have. I meet him every time I read his words that will live on forever.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for bringing me a story, a land, a dream with which i could use as a guide in my own aspirations. I hope you meet my Uncle who introduced me to your world! I loved being able to talk to him about it, even for a short amount of time. you were, and are, one of my greatest inspirations. thank you.

May you always find water and shade.

A world that he breathed life into, and a realm that our imaginations could consume, building the very fabric of the WOT pattern within our minds. Rand and his companions live because of his words, and everytime you read his books, they live, they ride again, and in a way, so does Robert Jordan. When the series is complete, his work will live on, he will live on, and we can make that happen by turning a page, whether it be the first page of the first book, or the last page of the last book. I won't forget the hours of enjoyment he brought to my world. He is greatly missed, though we never met. Strange how words can do that.

Vale RJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I too waited in anticipation for the publishing of TGS. Please keep in mind as I continue that I am a huge admirer of James Rigney, the man. Brandon had an enormous task in front of him when he accepted the honor of finishing the series. There is, though, a however. James was more than a writer. I’ve studied history, politics, economics, mythology, the Medicis, Kabalism … James included extensive knowledge of all these areas, along with an enormous wit, to write his series. My one regret is that I never had the opportunity to sit and talk, at length, with James. Having said, Brandon is young and promising. I wish him nothing but good as he continues. However (again), I would have chosen an older man with seasoned credentials and knowledge (such as a Stephen R. Donaldson) to steer the helm of this mighty ship which James built. I missed James Rigney as I read TGS. I missed the man. And again, Brandon, I wish you the best.

I have read through all the posts and just wanted to add my own tribute.  He is a great author and will always be one of my friends.  I started reading the wot when I was 17 years old.  I got started reading it because of a friend of mine.  He was reading it in a math class and I do not like math so I walked up to him and tried to figure out the title on my own and he picks up the book just a little bit and says to me "is this what you wanted"  I said "yes" and we started talking about it.  He lent it to me at the end of the week.  I couldn't believe out detailed it was and how you need all of the detail that is in it and all the perspectives.  He kept me on my toes through all of the books.  I found out about his passing by going on here the day he died and just could not believe that he was gone.  He will be missed but I am glad that we still get to get the end of the series.  I wanted to send my condolences to his family and friends.  The books are great books but the author was the master and we are honored to have gotten to finish the series.

Jadia

Reading the Wheel of Time has been a pleasure.  You have done such a wonderful job of creating a world that is so REAL.

I must admit that I have envisioned myself balefiring some of the people that tick me off :) or perhaps envisioning myself as an Aes Sedai or Aiel for outward/mental toughness.  I can't help it; I just love this damn series.

Thanks for the great story!  You will be missed but at the same time, I feel as if you will have never or will ever leave.  you have left your mark on the world, and it is a good one.

I am deeply saddened to know of the death of Robert Jordan, aka James Oliver Rigney.

I had been a fan of his wheel of time series since I was 18 years old. I remembered being attracted by the title and cover page of the book, the dragon reborn. I remembered being curious about what such a book is like, and therefore going out to purchase the first 7 books of the wheel of time series. I remembered not sleeping at night, because I was too engrossed in reading the wheel of time series.

Then, I remembered joining a fanatical church, that claimed all fantasy books were evil. I remembered throwing away, with much heart pain, all my wheel of time books, and making a commitment to God that I would never read the wheel of time series again.

I remembered leaving the fanatical church just a year ago, and recently, purchasing all over again the wheel of time series. I enjoyed the wheel of time books very much, and currently had read up to book 4 of the wheel of time series. I especially enjoyed new spring.

I am deeply saddened that such a great author, who had brought me so much joy, will no longer be there, to bring me more joys.

Thank you, Robert Jordan, for what you had done!

I remember walking into a Barnes and Noble store and browsing the Fantasy section, looking for something new to read.  When I saw an entire row of books written by the same author, Robert Jordan, my curiosity was piqued.  I bought The Eye of the World, expecting a world of magic and monsters.  What I got was something infinitely better: a wonderfully detailed story and plenty of interesting characters.  I couldn't put it down and had to read it all the way through as quickly as possible, to get to the ending and see what would happen next. 

Robert Jordan reinstilled in me my intense love of the fantasty genre by delivering such a powerful and immense world.  When I learned of his passing it was like a vise around my heart; the world has lost a wonderful writer but his legacy remains in the Wheel of Time series, which shall always endure.  Rest in peace, Robert Jordan, and thank you for sharing this story with the world.

I'm dissapointed that I will never get the chance to meet Robert Jordan in person, but I'm just glad that I've been able to read his work. The Wheel of Time was the first major series that I had ever read (Harry Potter doesn't count, sorry JKR) and it really got me into reading all together.

Robert Jordan will live on through his work, so he is what every artist aspires to be. Immortal.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a few words regarding the effect Robert Jordan's writing has had on my life.

I actually started reading The Wheel of Time series back in fifth grade. Since then, I was an avid follower of the series, until about 4 years ago. I suppose I dropped out of interest with the fantasy genre, because I lost touch with the series, and started reading a variety of other things, mostly sci-fi and completing my knowledge on all writings concerning Tolkien's Elder Earth. I am new to this site, and I do not know how steamed people get at praising the virtues of Tolkien(some Jordan fans do get angry at that for whatever reason), so I will not say further than that, but during the summer, my interest for The Wheel of Time rekindled. I suppose it was because I was running out of things to read that I found interesting, and I recalled my young fixation on this series, so I decided to buy the first few books (my father threw my old copies out)to reread and refresh my memory on it.

What a surprise I got when I looked in the back cover of The Eye of the World and I saw a date of birth and a date of death for the author. Died almost two years ago, and I was completely ignorant to it. Once I began reading the books and fell in love with the plot once more, that shock became deep disappointment. No one can deny Robert Jordan was a talented writer - though his style is unadorned with verbal virtuosity, I commend him for being able to set forth on paper a world only he could see, to allow others a glimpse as well. Very few writers of fantasy can execute that accurately. I know, because I am also a writer(though I have yet to finish my own novel, which I have been working on and revising for two years now), and though I do not consider my writing fantasy so much as psychological thriller and scientific theory, I have to relate another universe in it, with all of its complexities of culture and language to make it believable. It was Robert Jordan more than Tolkien (I did not start Tolkien until later), that inspired me in my childhood to write of another world, got me interested in writing of apocalyptic events in a contemporary, epic format.  Hah, before that, I was actually writing short stories that were mere childish hashes of Norse myths (they were no good, in my opinion).

And as all the writers who have nourished me, I had a desire to meet Mr. Jordan in person someday. It comes as a blow, then, that some of my most cherished authors are years dead. It pleases me to know that his writing is being finished by another (many authors are not so fortunate). At any rate, I hope Jordan's literature is not forgotten in the decades to come; he is worth reading, to any person who still sees beauty in the scope of human creativity.

The_Wheel_of_Time_by_ajkareze.jpg

Truth be told... I never thought someone could be that talented to keep me absorbed in a book let alone a series. The Wheel of Time enticed then captured me from the very moment the Eye of the World hit my hands. A beautiful thing you created for millions of people around the world. We all have are little imputs and creative aspects that meshes in our minds with RJs vivid descriptions.

I never actually had any eagerness to know about RJ, tho it makes me a little ashamed of that now. Looking at this site and getting some incite into his past has being very warming for me. A great man with a great passion.

Wheel of Time shall always be precious to me.. more like a piece of jewllery that means a lot to me.Books will come and go... but the WOT series shall have it special part of the boof shelf. Its only downfall :) is that I cant pick up other books now without thinking .... this is crap :) might as well read WOT again :).

About the movie? did Robert Jordan have plans to make this into a movie? Its a daunting thing to think about. To whoever makes it... watch avatar .... the same type of commitment should be adopted into this series or movie. If not dont bother... the books are enough for any die hard fan.

Well thats all from me... id like to finish by saying

Thanks to robert jordan for creating a world that I can escape to when this world doesnt offer the joys that it should :)

Never dead you shall always live on with the wheel of time... a legacy for all ages past present and future.

Chandra

Fav charachters?

My list goes...

Rand Mat Perrin...

Lan Moraine Euguewne Avdheiea? :) Nyavave Suian Tam (most the two rivers folk :) ) Thom Eylas Lolial

Lanfear :) Ishamael ( how does rand own the strongest ? :) )

Min Faile

..... but i really wannna see Lews Therin Kinslayer.... :) just own... evil will own... if the real dragon doesnt come back :) It started with Kinslayer ... has to end with him :)

mat rules :) true ..... gambling women and a soldier :) who wouldnt like him :) most entartaining charachter thats for sure :) bloody ashes :)

who beat the best warder ever.... a farmer with a quater staff (prolly mats dad:) ) go matheren ...the old blood is still strong :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived