DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

Sometimes even when you’ve fought your best….

It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone.  RJ left us today at 2:45 PM.  He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease.  In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain.  In the years he had fought this, he taught me [...]

http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May you rest in peace, RJ. Words fail me now, as I mourn for the loss of one of this world’s most extraordinary of men. As RJ enters into Heaven, let the trumpets ring forth as the Dragon walks the halls of Heaven, and may everyone there be ready to sit down, and listen to the greatest of sages and storytellers to ever walk this earth. To Harriet, and Wilson, and to all of the family of RJ, I extend my condolences and prayers to you all, thanking you for the loving impact that all of you have had upon my life. May God Bless you all, and may the grace, blessings, love, and comfort of the Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

I started reading the Wheel of Time when I was eleven years old. I'm now twenty-four. That means I've been involved with this series for over half my life. Longer than I've lived in my current state, longer than I've known my husband. In fact, I told my husband that I wouldn't marry him if he didn't read, and enjoy, Jordan's series.

Rather than playing at being princesses or fairies, my younger sisters and I used to play at being Aes Sedai. Let me tell you, it quite confused my grandmother when we got into some of her old shawls! Once, we even made my youngest sister sit in a dark room for ten minutes to 'pass her test for Accepted'. I told that story to RJ and Harriet at Dragon*Con a few years ago, and I'll never forget how Mr. Rigney laughed.

I was fourteen when I first encountered WoT fandom on the internet. The initial site I joined is now closed, and after its end, I found Dragonmount.com. I have since been a member there for seven years. The friends I have made, the times we have shared (in person and on the internet), will last a lifetime. I am an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah there, and I have never been prouder to be one of those who will fight to prevent a breaking of our world. Four years ago, I joined TarValon.net, and have been equally inspired by the relationships I have here.

Robert Jordan has brought into my life a First-Sister, two wonderful Warders, and literally more friends than I can count. I have been inspired by his White Tower and the ideals of an Aes Sedai. I try to live my life as an Aes Sedai should, with a heart toward service.

Thank you, Mr. Rigney, for the wonderful world you created for us to play in.

May the Creator's hand shelter you,

Muirenn Lina Alianin

Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah

RIP RJ...

WoT was my favorite fantasy series I have ever read. In fact its one of the best series of books I have ever read.

Having said that I think there is one body of work, which is better: your personal blog, which has provided us with an inspirational and uplifting look into the life of one man struggling against terrible odds, and not giving up.

Your last battle was more heroic, then Rand's could ever be.

Zac Gross

I first started reading the Wheel of Time books in 1997.  For 10 years now the Wheel of Time series has been the mainstay of my book collection. It's been the source of many a reread, and many comments from my family and friends like "Didn't you read that already?" or "What do you mean, you're reading it again?"  They don't understand, and sometimes I'm not sure I do either.  I just know that the series has touched me, and Mr. Rigney's words have made a huge impact on my life.

From Rand's courageous decision to face his destiny and do his duty, no matter how heavy the mountain, to the love between FAile and Perrin and Perrin's dedication to rescue his love despite the obstacles. These lessons have rang true with my soul and helped me find the person that I am.

My deepest condolences to James' family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Remember that you're not alone in your grief. We're all united in the pain of his loss.

We started discussing this on the temporary boards. Here are the highlights:

This discussion started in the Illuminators, but we need more participation. We're planning to send Harriet a hand-made quilt, along with a card, in time for Christmas, at least.

We need:

Knitters

Crocheters

Artists/graphic designers

Writers

Other (tell us what you can do, and we can find a way for you to help)

Quilt

The quilt will be made of knitted or crocheted hexagons, which will eventually be assembled by nephitess. We need people to help make these hexagons.

Hexagons should be 2.5 to 3 inches on one side (6.25 to 7.5 cm)

For crocheters, try this pattern: http://www.crochetnmore.com/hexagon.htm

For knitters, if you can increase and decrease, and you know what a hexagon looks like, then you can probably figure it out for yourself. But just in case, here is a rough pattern:

Basic Hexagon Knitting Pattern

Approximate gage: 4 stitches per inch. If you can't get this gage, that's ok. Just make sure your hexagon is 2.5 to 3 inches long on each side (that's 6.25 to 7.5 cm).

CO 12 stitches

Row 1: purl across (this will be the wrong side of the fabric)

Row 2: k3, m1 (left-leaning), knit across until there are 3 stitches left, m1 (right leaning), k3

Row 3: purl across

Repeat Row 1 and Row 2 until the sides of the hexagon are about the right size. This is approximately 10 more rows.

Row 14 (make sure you are on the right side of the fabric!): k2, ssk, knit across until there are 4 stitches left, k2tog, k2

Row 15: purl across

Row 16: k2, ssk, knit across until there are 4 stitches left, k2tog, k2

Repeat Row 15 and Row 16 until you are left with 12 stitches again. BO.

---------------

You can also knit it in the round, with DPNs: http://craftlover.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/hexagon-knitting/

Just make sure it's the right size.

Card

Since so many people lately are comparing RJ to a ta'veren, we want to show that on our card. We have a potential image ready for the front of the card, an illustration with Rand, Mat, and Perrin, showing their friendship. We still would like something for the back of the card, and we were thinking of having Min, Avi, Elayne, Faile, and Tuon, either posing together, or separate images. We need someone to do these drawings.

We also need something written on the inside of the card. We were thinking of something uplifting, how RJ brought us all together...that sort of thing. But of course, we are open to your creativity. Is anyone interested in doing this?

We'll have all contributors scan or photograph their signature (as in, your name, not the stuff below your posts) and email it to whoever puts the card together, so that the signatures will be printed inside the card.

Finally, we need someone who can design the card and put it together, including all images, signatures, and the message on the inside, and then print it.

Please respond if you're willing to help out!

This will be extremely cool of us as a team at Dragonmount to prepare a gift for Harriet.

You do not have to be a member of Dragonmount to help with this. All individuals helping with any phase of the project will have their name specifially mentioned on the card.

But how would I get it to Neph ?

Through the mail? :P We'll have more details about addresses and such later. You can probably fit your hexagons into one of those padded mailing envelopes, so postage shouldn't be too expensive. But if it does get too pricey for anyone, just let us know. I'm sure we can work something out :)

Neph, if you can tell us approximately where you live, I'm sure I can find out rough shipping costs to post here for people to get an idea.

For now, if you can knit or crochet a hexagon that is about 3 inches on one side, get started at your leisure and see how many you can do. Neph, about how many are needed?

I can do a few things on that list, actually. From quilting to Graphics to writing. :)

(Yes, i quilt.. sort of.. i can sew.. i am surprisingly crafty at times... )

Let me know where you want me.

I think our most pressing need is knitters and crocheters, since we'll need a lot of hexagons to make a blanket. Can you do either of those things?

Another thing you can do (you're Arie Ronshor, right??) is do the drawing for the back of the card. Can you pose Min, Elayne, Avi, Tuon, and Faile together? If you're going to draw, remember that we will probably print this card at 300 dpi, so you're looking at a final image size of about 1500x2100 pixels (5x7 inches).

Yet another thing you can do is work on the general design of the card (and eventually either print the card yourself, or send me the template so I can print it). What font and color will we use for the message on the inside? Will there be a border around Cleo's image on the front of the card? What about the back? Do we want anything written on the front, etc. etc.

I would love to do something for this' date=' when you say writers what are looking for them to write?[/quote']

We want something for the inside of the card. Sort of like the kind of thing that is on store-bought cards, except better, and personalized for us and Harriet. Think uplifting. Some ideas: talk about how RJ brings people together from all over the world, how we got together to do this for Harriet to show our support, etc. It could be a poem or not...that doesn't matter so much. Or we could have a short poem and a longer note telling Harriet just who the hell we are and what the hell we think we're doing. It's kind of up to what you (and any other writers) want to do. You can always post drafts and we'll tell you what we think.

Does that help? :?

We can all sign the card' date=' by emailing our photographed or scanned signatures to whoever assembles the card. If necessary, we can staple several cards together at the spine -- book style -- so all our signatures fit. I think it's nicer that way, instead of just "from Dragonmount," because it's more personal. And this really is a personal gift from each of us to Harriet.[/quote']

Stuff from the other thread:

Ohhhhh good plan Zardi' date=' thanks for suggesting that Kath and dang I still can't get past the first stitch. *mutters* I am thinking I need to find something on youtube.  :wink:[/quote']

Free crochet videos: http://www.nexstitch.com/Tutorials.html

Free knitting videos: http://www.knittinghelp.com

Somedays are harder than others. *drinks greentea*

So... yeah... ummm... *makes some random poetry bits*

softly

he writes

my muse

by night

he creates

in my mind

the conucopia

of wisened fantasies

trilling the

night lamp

with his

plastic dreams

as I

write

the night

away

- Muse for Company - By Me

(We can have multiple things written in the card, so go ahead and come up with something else if you still want to, SBoyd :) )

Also, if we're going to have multiple signature pages (and it looks like we may need to) we could probably have a small illustration on each page as well, if we have any other artists who really wanted to participate. *shrug*

In fact, why don't I go ahead and volunteer to assemble/print the card, since I seem to add new complications every five minutes. I just need someone else to design it and then send me their template.

Send it to Tor Books.  They forward *ALL* fan mail.  She'll get it.

(I saw her reading fan mail on one of the evenings after RJ's passing)

J

Wow...Zardi you are awsomeness!!

I live in Vancouver, BC. Elgee you live quite a long way from me...if you need help with postage i'll help.

OK so everyone...we will need about 300 hundred of these hexagons.

I woun't let you forget about having this transfered! ;)

I know you said you wanted knitters and the like but I would like to contribute. I am very good at writing and have been working on a novel. I would like to contribute something to the card.

Just let me know. I already have something forming in my head.

Go for it :D Just post here when you're ready.

i would relly like to help a lot. i cant crochet but my mom taught me embrodery when i was a kid. is there any way we could incorperate some embroiderd pannles?

There is a way, yes. If you can crochet your own hexagon, and then sew some embroidered fabric to it, then neph can still add it to the quilt. Just make sure it's sewn on securely. I might do that with one of my hexagons as well.

im no good at drawing people but would a sea folk raker be out of the the question for one of the imiges on the card?

I think anything that is recognizable as something from WoT would be great. It will be printed fairly small (2 or 3 inches on a side), since it'll be on one of the signature pages, but send me the biggest file you can. The quality will be better that way.

i can crochet and would love to do some, just let me know what color/colors or whatever.

Any colors at all :) I've done some already in pastel-striped cotton yarn, Cleo has some jewel toned wool/acrylic blends, and I will make some acrylic ones until I can get to a yarn store for some alpaca (I've never worked with it and I really want to :P)

as for the writing inside it should be something like "we were all woven together in RJ's great pattern"

I like that phrase. Maybe one of the writers will incorporate it :)

I knit. I'm in.

Yay! Thanks :)

I know local print shops can do binding if the card gets too big. I make customized sketch books all the time that way and its pretty inexpensive. Or there is always good old stapling.

I'll look into that if it gets too thick. Otherwise I'll just staple it all together, and maybe decorate the spine with a ribbon. Maybe Hobby Lobby has some make-your-own-book kits or something that I can use as well.

I would be happy to crop the pics or set them up as kind of a "team" photo style or do a whole collage of pics, for those that don't know what a collage is, its a mis-mash of different size pics cut at "strange" angles and put together.

You guys can decide.

However if you decide to go with a group photo that looks like we are all in one place, for the sake of uniformity, I would appreciate anyone sending photos to me to have them taken w/ as close to the following specification. (or as close as possible, its just to help w/ the editing)

Individual photo (you by yourself)

at least a knee to head photo, (in case i do a group thing)

taken in a well lit area, to eliminate shadows

use a background (ie. wall) that is white or close to it and smooth

For the collage pic I wouldn't need any particular photo, just one of you.  but if its you with some people, plz tell me which one is you so I don't put the wrong person in the photo lol.

And if you guys can't decide, send me one of each, I'll be glad to make both and post them so everyone can decide which one looks better.

And when I'm done with the photo, or photos, to whom am i sending the finished product so it can get in the card/book?

I like the collage idea a lot (not so much the faked group photo, because if you did a realistic job of it, it would give the incorrect impression that we met in real life to do this). When finished, you'd email me a high-resolution file to include in the card/book.

I found some really good instructions for professional-looking, home-made book binding, and I think it's something I can do without too much trouble, especially if I practice first (I'll make myself a sketchbook or something). I'll use one of those techniques, depending on how many pages we end up with.

Alright collage it is, send me those random photos of yourself.

I'm gonna set a deadline for Nov. 1st to get the photo's in, just so I give everyone time, and give me enough time between work and school to make it presentable by Dec. 1st

If someone sends one in late, it's not a big deal, I just don't want everyone sending them in at the last moment.

by the way send all pics to otranto.a@gmail. com

and if you would put RJ photo in the subject so i know its you not spam.

Something to keep in mind' date=' Corran, is that the pages will probably be 5x7 inches (which is about 12.5x17.5 cm), at 300 dpi, so if you end up needing to do two collages just so everyone isn't really tiny, that's fine :)[/quote']

As far as shipping costs, for Americans, USPS appears to be cheaper than UPS to get a 1 pound package to Vancouver. USPS has a flat-rate international envelope for $9 that will get your hexagons to neph in 6-10 days.

For UPS, I used a custom package weighing 1 pound, with dimensions 12x7x1 inches (so...an envelope), and it would cost me $11.26 for standard shipping. A random zip code in New York City yielded the same cost. A random Seattle zip code costs $10.89.

I can't seem to find a shipping cost calculator for DHL, so I don't know how their prices compare.

I'm not sure about shipping to Canada from other countries, since you'd be using your own postal systems :?

What will get expensive is for neph (or whoever) to send the entire package to Tor (apparently in NYC: http://www.tor-forge.com/ContactUs.aspx), so they can forward it to Harriet. So anyone willing to help out with cost will probably be needed then.

Participants so far

Knitters/Crocheters:

nephitess

Zardi

Joiya

Cleopatra

El'Gee

Niamh Sedai

Raeyn

ironcross

damane

Jaydena

Faelene

Loreina

Spinytail

Quilt assembly:

nephitess

Artists:

Andrea

Cleopatra

ironcross

Writers:

SBoydW

Ajah24

crihavoc

Collage of contributors:

Corran

Card/book assembly and binding:

Zardi

Help with shipping costs:

Kathana

(This is just for our records, so we make sure we get everyone's signature and photo, etc. Let me know if I left you off or if I should remove you.)

Prodigal boy, cuffing at his eyes...

Hopefully the following could be included in any card? I'm not sure if it's uplifting in the Hallmark sense, but there's a piece my heart beating messily between the lines.

CH

Light shines in my eyes

Fire burns within the paper,

The golden gleam of a gallant soul;

Sunrise radiant, flaring,

Fed by the whisper exhalation

Of each falling page.

Light shines in my eyes.

Full- freighted with the joy of the tale,

The seemly bones of every letter

Are weighted to their inky marrow

And transit steadily, readily,

The prideful stride of skilled tradesmen,

Presence lamps in hand

Raising their flames to me.

Light shines in my eyes.

Sentries to the shoal of my bookcase,

Lighthouse comfort beckons for my return…

New world, old world, told world.

It is the song well-sung,

The traveler’s rest for a questing spirit,

The spill of coins fervently shared,

The empty chair and pint before a banked and golden fire.

And, when the covers open…

Light shines in my eyes.

I'll be back... really.

Ok.. I've watched some of the crochet videos up there, but I'm still confused to death. I used to do a chain stitch for fun years ago, but never figured out how to do anything else. I think I see where to go from there now though. Anyway.. I'm getting my supplies tomorrow and am going to make an attemp.. wish me luck, I think I'll need it.  =)

Guest nephitess

Edited list. I added Loreina.

Participants so far

Knitters/Crocheters:

nephitess

Zardi

Joiya

Cleopatra

El'Gee

Niamh Sedai

Raeyn

ironcross