DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

Mags! Nice to see you, even under unfortunate circumstances. I hope you stick around for awhile.

Gauth, as far as I know, Jordan left enough notes and outlines that someone could finish the last book.  I wouldn't expect anyone to get started this week, but I do expect to see the last book published.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys, you probably don't know my, as I am rather new here, and don't post much.  However, I, also, was shocked by the news that our Dragon had left us.  There's not much I can do for any of these other tribute projects, but I am a musician, and would love to do an tribute album for Robert.  I mainly do Celtic music (Irish and Scottish), and I believe that that would be fitting for the genre that he wrote in.  Therefore, if I could upload about 10 songs (both originals by me, and traditional) to Dragonmount, I would love the opportunity to do something for this community.  I think that this is the right place to put this, so if it's not, tell me where I should, or who I should email.

My most sincere condolences to Harriet, the Rigney family, and to all who knew or where touched by such a wonderful man.

I was "forced" to read EotW 3 years ago, and from that moment on became forever enthralled with the WoT.  I realize more, with every passing day, how much RJ affected my life and the lives of those around me that have read the WoT or have seen its effects on my character and adopted those traits as their own.  RJ became ta'veren in a way.  The ripples of his actions in this world will keep spreading until the entire world has been altered by his presence. It seems a bit strange, to feel the loss of someone I never personally knew so keenly, but I guess that's just RJ's power to pull in everyone and make them feel like they belonged.

He will be dearly missed.

My deepest sympathies Anthony Otranto

it's been a long time since I posted but I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing of "the creator".To Harriet ,the Rigney Family his friends and to all those whose life was enriched directly or indirectly by RJ my deepest sympathies and most sincere condolences.

Jagesh Sharma

Guest nephitess

Edited list. I added Spinytail.

Participants so far

Knitters/Crocheters:

nephitess

Zardi

Joiya

Cleopatra

El'Gee

Niamh Sedai

Raeyn

ironcross

damane

Jaydena

Faelene

Loreina

Spinytail

Quilt assembly:

nephitess

Artists:

Andrea

Cleopatra

ironcross

Writers:

SBoydW

Ajah24

crihavoc

Collage of contributors:

Corran

Card/book assembly and binding:

Zardi

Help with shipping costs:

Kathana

OK so i did a little math.... :-\  and 300/13= about 23 patches each for the knitter/corcheters...this is enough patches for the quilt. so if everyone could do 23 that would be great. once you are finished i'll PM yuo my address and you can send them to me.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!

Guest nephitess

*shruggs* it was the pattern i picked out...LOL! the hexagons are easy for me though. once you gat some experience i promise the hexagon is one of the easiest thing you can make.

Keep up the good work everyone! ;D

I am still in shock, as many of you guys probably are. My deepest sympathies to Mr. Rigney's family. He must have been an amazing man to know. I, too, lost a loved one this week, the reason I didn't find out till Saturday, so it's like a double whammy!

I started reading the series in the early nineties, don't quite remember exactly when, and I fell in love immediately! I don't know many who have read the series, like 4, but we all LOVE it!

Robert Jordan will be dearly missed. He wrote in a way that is unlike any other. The depth he created is nothing short of genius. Everytime I read them, I learn something new. No other book is like that. Actually, Mr. Rigney has ruined other books for me! No one can match him.

Again, my deepest condolences to his wife and family. His memory will live on forever.

Oh, that reminds me though. Those knitters who know how to do garter stitch or seed (moss) stitch might want to make a few hexagons using those, so that they will lie flat. In the center of the quilt, the curliness of stockinette won't matter, but on the edges it will.

I will use seed stitch for the remainder of mine.

Sorrow,

Swiftly carried by wailing wind

Mourning the passing of the dawn

And the dying of the early morning light

Echoes,

Reflections etched within the soul

Portraits of the rays of sun

As the world slips into night

Where are your words to lead the way?

Where is the Dragon that breaks the night?

Where is that herald of the day?

Where are the banners of the light?

Emptiness,

A fleeting memory passing by

Withered by winters touch

As the world falls to the blight

Tears,

A weeping sigh across the breeze

A tribute of remembrance lost

A silent prayer for sweet respite

Where is the master of the hearth?

Where is our herald of delight?

Where lay you now beneath the earth?

A fallen warrior in the fight!

i dont think its good enough but it was emotions and thoughts i felt when i heard of his passing. it touched me deeply as im sure it touched the hearts and minds of many of u :(

This may be my first post but I have been a fan of RJ and his work ever since my final year at School (High school for you fokes over the water) and I have to say that his work has drawn me in a world which is so rich with detail that; well I have never felt so involved in a story.

His work inspiered me while I sat my exams and though I an no good at english I feel that he managed to help me pass the creative aspect and acutaly got me to college, university and even into the job im in now.

You will be missed.

My sympathies to Harriet and all your family.

I feel that the quote that is on the front of dragonmount is most appropriate and I wish to echo it;

"May you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home." 

And every heart rejoiced even as they broke

Like adamant shards scattered beneath the sun

Its beams lancing through the dark billowing clouds

And so a miracle is laid beside grief

In his coat, scarlet, gold, he lies on black rock

Tears adorn his brow like jewels to crown his head

Gentle hands stroke his face bidding him to wake

But he will not, nor will he speak or grimace

Trumpets blast saying, “He is victorious!”

And all then come to see the Light he promised

Now whenever they see the dawn rise, feel warmth

It almost seems born from just a memory of Light

There. Not easily done, but I tried. I can't rhyme for jack, but best I could come up with in a short while.

Someone up there said that RJ became ta'veren in a way and for me and my life, this has certainly been true. Without WoT my life would have been vastly different.

- I would not have the circle of real life friends I now have

- I would not have the fiance I now have

- I probably would not have the job I now have.

It is astonishing to see how much a book and an author can mean to someone, and how a writer can reach lives not only through his physical books, but through the thought of the world he has created. It is like the ripples of a pond, ever spreading outward.

My deepest condolences go to his wife Harriet and his loved ones. I had the privilege to meet RJ once at a booksigning where Harriet was also present. We touched eachothers lives very, very briefly, but I will never forget.

Wendy Torenvliet

the Netherlands

I'm working on a tribute piece right now, and I would feel horrible now that I know of this and didn't share my idea with some people who are doing something special.

Ive drawn out the spear/scarf/wheel/snake symbol often associated with TWoT and in he background I'm learning some calligraphy (Rather clumsily admittedly) so i can use the first paragraph of EotW, for me at least thats just really moving. I was even thinking of adding maybe a bit of a commentary at the end of like "Oh and what a beginning it was" or something like that.

Idk if yall will like the idea, but I thought I'd put my two cents in for this really awesome project yall got going.

Archived