DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sat down with the hexagon patterns last night, and as soon as I got through each of them once, I started playing with the patterns. I haven't crocheted much lately, but once I got started, I found I couldn't stop. :)

I made 6 before I had to make myself go to bed. But they were fun and quick. I'll try to get some more done in the next week. Then I'll send them off.

Oh, where should I send them?

faerielin

I found out about our dear friend about a week ago, to say the least my first reaction was shock, I believe we all expected him to some how do the impossible and kick the disease to the curb. Unfortunately it was not meant to be and the world is the lesser for it.

I would like to take this time to thank our dear friend, James Oliver Rigney jr, for the joy he gave to me and millions of others with The Wheel of Time. I started to read the series back in the early 1990's and his superb story telling saw me through some wierd times of my life and kept me sane during a time that was suppose to one of self discovery, but was instead actually a time of many diaper changes and late night feedings and I was stuck always alone at home with 2 very young children. If you haven't been there you wouldn't understand, an adult needs a break from their children every once and awhile, and tWoT gave me that break, the escape I needed to recharge. I could take a mental vacation to Randland when the stress got too much....I bet a read those first five books like 5 or 6 times a piece. So I give a deeply felt THANK YOU, JIM!!!!! You got me through one of my life snags and I greatly appreciate it. My 2 girls from back then are now in highschool, and I have a 5 yr old girl as well now and I am still reading The Wheel of Time. Much love goes out to his family especially to Harriet, and she is right he has gone to a place sickness and pain cannot touch him, until the Wheel spins him out again. May he shelter in the Creator's hands. Amen.

An Excerpt from my blog today, just cut and pasted, as I couldn't seem to retype it.

I'm feeling very sad today.  I haven't been on the internet much lately and so have fallen behind in checking in at many of the sites I frequent.  I decided to do so this afternoon and came across something that was new to me, though the announcement is now more than a month old.

Many of you may already know, but the author Robert Jordan passed away last month.  You may also know, or not know, that he had been fighting a long battle with blood disease.  I cannot even describe my reaction to the news, especially considering that the last news I had heard was good.

I am ashamed to admit that my first reaction was purely selfish dissappointment and frustration with the fact that now the last book in his Wheel of Time series would go unfinished.  I feel a little less badly as I discovered that many others had the same initial reaction, and as one astute person noted, part of being human is the ability to set aside the petty and move on.

I quickly moved past this point though to a profound sadness.  This man, whom I didn't even know his real name until today, has been a part of my life for longer than anyone excluding family.  I've been reading his novels since long before I met my wife of 11 years. I first encountered his writing back in the early 80's in the Conan novels. Which for a not quite teen boy were a great read.  I also read some of his work under other pseudonyms, though I did not know it until much later.  Boy was I suprised when I found out Reagan O'Neal was the same person.

I picked up "The Eye of the World" early in 1990, right as it came out, and was instantly hooked.  Since then I've anxiously awaited the arrival of each new addition with an anticipation like that of early childhood and Christmas morning.  Each time a new book would come out I would reread the entire series -quite an undertaking when the last book was number 11- when the projected release date came within sight.  I also read them other times as well, coming away with different insights each time.  For those of you who know me, the email address I have used in one variation or another for years came from a character from these novels. In the days of the old online M.U.D.'s  I based my characters from these stories, indeed wrote a whole adventuring area based on these novels.  The site came down soon after, but still it was a work to honor the man.

Hard to believe that a man whom I had never met, indeed didn't even know his real name as I mentioned, has had such a profound impact on my life.  I feel as though I have lost a close friend or family member.  Hard to believe that I am fighting back tears with a lump in my throat for a man that I never even had the privilege of shaking his hand.

Thank You and Farewell Robert Jordan, or James Oliver Rigney Jr., as I now know your name.  You will be sorely missed.  But for now I believe that I will wipe my eyes and go revisit the world of Rand, Perrin, Mat, the Aiel, and the One Power, and create the final moments in my mind as I imagine that you might have.

If help is still needed with the quilt, I'd like to help but can't guarantee anything. I crocheted a little bit (two scarfs and a shawl) in college but it's been 12 or 13 years so, even with the best of intentions, I may not produce anything but knots and curses. Are there any particular colors I should use? I still have dark blue, yellow and orange and there should be some olive green and a slate blue somewhere.

Guest nephitess

Use any colors you like. Have fun with it and let me know when your done. I'll then PM you my address.

I just recived a package today from Ridgefeild, CT. Thank you...Can you let know who you are? LOL :D

Are anybody elses hexagons turning out as crappy as mine? :P

Once I went to the yarn shop and asked for help, it came out great but the pattern posted above gave me a hexagon that was 5 inches on a side instead of 3. Should I be using a different pattern? I'm not sure just leaving off the outer layer will work since it will change the makeup of the edge.

An obituary is a formal announcement of a death. They are generally not personal remembrances. The only announcement that a family member has written is Wilson's original announcement in Jordan's blog. It only exists in an electronic format.

Several newspapers, including the New York Times, have written obituaries for Jordan. So have most of the major fansites.  If you'd like a print copy of one of those, you'd have to contact that organization directly. 

Guest nephitess

It's ok...the patches i'm geting are twice the size of mine LOL so don't worry...just follow the pattern. ;D

Gio....thanks again hun!! *hugs*

Archived