DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

Nope in fact I had this problem here, no one that is manager of their section knows anything. At Micheal's the woman in the knitting section knows nothing about any of it and the woman in charge of scrapbooks dosen't even scrapbook. *rolls eyes* At Walmart the woman in charge of it runs the video section as well and she knows how to cut stuff but not how to crochet. So ya problems, and nope no hobby lobby either. I looked at the page but I didn't see one, I did figure out how to do a lot from those videos, they were great.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are no words to express the great sorrow that has filled my heart on finding that RJ has passed away. I first discovered his writings in 1995, while I was stationed in Korea. One of my friends gifted me with the first book on my birthday, just before we headed out for 6 weeks of field training.

Since that time, I have re-read the series every time a new book was released, and introduced the series to several of my friends and family, both overseas and in the states.

I wish there was more I could do to provide some type of support for his family and friends, but my words of gratitude and sorrow are all I have to give.

It is with unimaginable regret that i turned on my my computer today. They say that ignorance is bliss, and now i believe. I went on Dragonmount to discover more "Memory" news, and lo and behold i find the only Memory i want is of the world with Robert Jordan in it...

After i got over the shock i'm sure most of you have been experiencing for a month now, I wrote this. I don't know whether it is particularly great, or meet of my emotions, but it is what i felt.

To the Dragon, to Jim Rigney, who breathed his fiery life into us all.

When cometh dark, who ‘scapes sable Night?

Trumpets sound of death, and cometh creeping hand,

whose shoulders shadows borne, spread o’er lovèd land.

Land lovely once, all now is gone to Blight…

So does it seem, for fire flaming bright

Next moment is snuffed out, no time for a last stand.

A fairless end to foul a fairless fight.

But Hope! Take heart!

In reading you, O master of thy art,

In spite of me a trace of you impart.

A bastion, a Dragon, ‘gainst this very day

By chance—nay, by design!

I may weather mighty winds of time.

I venture guess you wove the Wheel this way?

In work they say man’s character be judged.

I judge it thus: no finer ever was.

Who greater can thee name?

Save Christ, who hath o’ertopped his fame?

Thy bearded brilliance seen in Perrin’s face;

In mirror to Aiel defiance of his ills

Didst he pen the stubbornness of Two Rivers’ wills;

In love, no richer story can be found:

Rand, Elayne, Gawyn, Egwene.

Save but in life:  Jim ‘twined his heart

With Harriet’s, and was eternal bound. 

Nay! Nay! Be not of sorrow, yet of quiet strength,

For in the end a fool of Death he’ll make.

In dying, shall his life be learned in lore.

Death—certain fate, though certainly a war,

A war he lost, yet in the end hath won,

When cometh Light, Creator’s will be done,

and o’er the fields of glory shall he run.

Aught he be the envy of us all,

Who on a whim may glance upon the Son,

And ‘ere the Throne of Glory fall.

Goodbye Rand, character and muse.

Farewell Lews Therin, Mat, and Perrin.

Goodbye Jim Rigney. To these you will be fused.

With these memories, memories of light, we think of you.

Forever ‘graved onto the dusty page,

Wherever opened, there shall live the sage.

*shakes head*  you would think they would have knowledgable people working the departments!!

WOOHOO!!  I have 15 finished...Neph could you PM me your address?  I can continue on these until Monday...then will mail off what I have done...thank you!!  *grins* I'm so glad I got to be a part of this!

I have only been reading WOT for about 4 years so I don't have the stories that most do that have been reading the works of Robert Jordan for many many years.  I have the personality that when there is something that I find interesting, I dive in with two feet.  As soon as I got past "The Dragon Reborn" I knew that this series would be something that I would have with me for a long time.  For this reason I decided that I had to do something that would display my affection for the series.  So at the start of the summer I started to brainstorm ideas of what I can do to show my appreciation and to spread the wonder of WOT.  Ideas ranged from getting a tattoo to creating a personalized sweatshirt (The latter of which I did end up doing). 

I finally decided that I would get a vanity plate for my car that had something to do with WOT.  After some thought and helpful suggestions from the members of Dragonmount, I decided to get BLCK-TWR for my car.  Since my car is black I thought that it was an appropriate fit.  I got my vanity plate the day after Robert Jordan passed.  I have gotten many questions and compliments about the plate since.  Some people asked me why I would want to get something like that when not everyone knows what it means.  I reply to them that for the people that recognize the reference, it means something, like a secret password that allows access into a club.  For the people that ask what it means, I spend some time to tell them what it means and hopefully turn another person onto Robert Jordan's work. 

The only thing that I wish I could have done differently would have been to order the plate sooner.  I feel that this is the least that I can do for a person that has taken me away from day to day life, and placed me in a world where even a simple farm boy can grow into something magnificent.  For that, and many other reasons, Robert Jordan you will be missed.

Guest nephitess

Hey guys....I'm moving to Idaho!!!!! So i need all these by the end of november!!

A double crochet Joiya, thanks hun!

Twinne, the size you have is fine. *GGLS like a girl* I'm so glad your excited about this..we are. ;D

To this very moment I remember down to the second when I heard the news.  They say that their are things one never forgets, and I will never forget the power of James Oliver Rigney.  A man I respected had passed.  I loved RJ's books and I loved the world that he had created for us all, I spent many hours exploring his rich world with it's characters and history.  As rich a world I could never hope to create with my own pen and I dearly love the mind that could so delicatly weave a tapestry as telling as the Wheel of Time.

I have no skill in art or literature to give him a worthy tribute, only my sincere condolences to his wife Harriet who I know even now continues the work he so loved.  The Wheel Turn the ages of the world come and go, yet I will never forget Robert Jordan.

Guest nephitess

I'll being the burley area...near Twin Falls. I'll be going to The College of Southern Idaho.

I'll have to come up there and give you some Crochet Lessons....LOL ;)

So, Nephi, you're really giving us till the end of November? I'll get quite a few more done in that time! I have about 12 right now. I can probably do 12 more at least. Double if I keep doing 2 per night. :) I can't wait to see pictures of this afghan! It's going to be very cool.

Guest nephitess

if you have more to send me after today i'll et you to send them to my idaho address. so go at it!! LOL

Joyia...i got your package, thank you sweety!!

I was thinking of something to give Harriet from everyone.  I noticed that people are doing different things on the site for her but I wanted to through out and idea to you to see what you would think.

I had noticed that a lot of people have put how WOT has effected them on the site and also your posts.  I wouldn’t know how to go about it so I will give my idea to you to run with.

Why not make a book about the fans.

It could be called “The Heart of The Wheel of Time”

The book would not be just one story but many stories.

The book could be about how the wheel of time has effected the readers and changed their lives. Also, at the end, you could make a remembrance to RJ with toms speech your pictures and story.  The picture on the cover could be a picture of RJ is the armor or a blending of the covers of the books.

I have the hole thing mapped out if your interested. 

I don’t need profit or fame, I just want to make someone smile

???

I was thinking of something to give Harriet from everyone.  I noticed that people are doing different things on the site for her but I wanted to through out and idea to you to see what you would think.

I had noticed that a lot of people have put how WOT has effected them on the site and also your posts.  I wouldn’t know how to go about it so I will give my idea to you to run with.

Why not make a book about the fans.

It could be called “The Heart of The Wheel of Time”

The book would not be just one story but many stories.

The book could be about how the wheel of time has effected the readers and changed their lives. Also, at the end, you could make a remembrance to RJ with toms speech your pictures and story.  The picture on the cover could be a picture of RJ is the armor or a blending of the covers of the books.

I have the hole thing mapped out if your interested. 

I don’t need profit or fame, I just want to make someone smile

*bounces*

Ok Neph...I sent you a package today of my patches!!!  They should be there by this time next week....hope you havn't moved by then!!

I can try to make some more by the end of November if time and health allows...usually mailing within the states it only takes about three or four business days....

And..I was just wondering...how many of our little hexagons do you have?

Guest nephitess

Hey twin....Thanks for the Help hun...I look forward to seeing them. I'll give you all a count when i get your hun!

Kirn, I'll let Zardi Answer your request. *hugs*

i havent been able to get any done yet :(  new kid and work have been a major drain on time, but im going home for thanksgiving, so ill will try and get some done then. a week with not much to do and my mom to show me how to do it.  maby i can get my wife mom and sister to help out to. my wife just started EOTW and my mom and sister are both fans.  if im not able to get any done i hope the ships make the card at least, if they arent good enuph thats ok though.

i think thats an awsome idiea, ive been thinking somthing like that would be cool too.  even if it was just a cuple of paragraphes from everyone on what rj and his world mant to them. i know i cried a cuple of times reading through all the posts on his blog after he died. i almost want to just print them up to have in case they ever decide to close the blog down

Archived