DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

I have never posted on Dragonmount before, but this is a long, rambling and sentimental post that I feel drawn to take time out of my Sunday afternoon to write. I apologise for any inaccuracies, spelling mistakes, rambling sentences and poor grammar but I simply wish to let the world know, in some small way, of my regard for a man now 7 months gone.

While James Rigney Jr. was still alive, I gave little thought to the man behind my favourite fantasy series. I am ashamed to say it, but I did not even know that Robert Jordan was merely a pen-name until I was searching for news of the last intallment of the WoT, which led to my reading the announcement and learning that he had entered the mother's final embrace. That, at least, shocked me into doing a little research, and what I found saddened me even further. He sounds like the kind of man that I cannot begin to do fair tribute to with my clumsy words. The kind of man for whom W. H. Auden's Stop all the clocks rings true.

I first began to read the wheel of time when I was 11. My mother picked up a copy of The Eye of the World for me in W H Smith on our local high street. It was on special offer and she thought I might enjoy it. That was the beginning of literally weeks of solid reading that took me through the first few volumes before I ran out of pages and my scrimped and saved pocket money together around book 5. Since my discovery, I have begun to read the WoT over again for the fifth? sixth? - I have lost count - time. Who-knows-how-many thousands of pages of sheer enjoyment. Today I reached page 404 of my beaten, battered copy of The Shadow Rising (most of my Wheel of Time books have lost at least one cover, have coffee stains on them and have been dropped in the bath at least once) and Rand ventured once more into the forest of columns at the heart of Rhuidean. Once more, the history of the Aiel passed before his eyes and once more I was left breathless. This is a particularly wondrous passage for me, one which awakens in me a sense of wonder that I thought lost long before I reached my incredibly advanced age of 21. The wonder of a child glimpsing a fully-fleshed and indescribable new world. One with endless possibilities and a capacity for both good and evil that surpasses understanding. The Age of Legends. We are allowed few glimpses, but each and every one is a revelation.

There are incredibly few people who can create a world. There are even fewer who can create one which is fully-fleshed and draws you into it in such a way. I have mentioned before that Mr Rigney sounds like a man you would be proud to call a friend. Now I must say that he is without a doubt the most talented author I have ever had the good fortune to read. The world has lost a true treasure and I await A Memory of Light with mixed excitement, apprehension and dread. Excitement for knowing what will happen next in this wondrous world, dread for the coming end and apprehension at the fact that no matter how good a writer Brandon Sanderson is, and how good the guidance he is given by those who knew James and his tale best (and I do not for a second question the quality of either of these), I cannot believe it will live up to my incredibly high expectations for the creschendo of a series I have been reading for 10 years and counting. Selfish and unreasonable, I know, but true.

We have lost a jewel of a man, but his legacy lives on in our hearts and minds. I do not know whether I feel more sympathetic grief or envy for those who were close to him, but I hope that they will accept my belated but sincere condolences for their personal loss as well as the world's more general one.

Tom

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Jordan AKA James Oliver Rigney Jr, Has touched the lives of many people around the world,

no matter what language they spoke they have all read his works, from the Conan series to the Wheel Of Time.

His writings have made my life a better place to live a world crated to show mans thirst for more, and its inability to support what is right. Mankind has always dominated not only itself but everything around it, James gave us a world with the WOT, that shows what mankind has missed.....

In Perrin and Elyas he has shown a loss between man and animals, a way to understand, not communicate the way they can but to understand why animals have a right to live just as man does...

In the Aes Sedai and Ash'aman he has shown mans inherent need for more than he is...

The wheel of time has shown that man has and will always need to be the most dominant species on this world and the next.

In times to come no matter how far in the future that maybe he will have wars, over everything and anything it can. This need be it Religion or Land or Food, it will be there, Never for Justice like the WOT, but no matter what excuse he uses mankind's true reason for War is the need to dominate everything including himself....

Robert Jordan (James Oliver Rigney Jr) has and will always be with us all, his works are eternal and some of the best Literature in the world, no matter what the language or the color of the skin we all love his works and will read and pass them on to the next generation.

Within us all he still lives, within those he loved he memory will hold, may the creators hand shelter him and the mothers last embrace comfort and protect him.

RIP James Oliver Rigney Jr, The True Dragon,  :'( Thank you for sharing so much with so many.... Harriot my prayers are with you always, Thank you also for your support of James and for continuing his works may you walk in the light and be free from darkness always.... My best wishes and prayers are with you and your family...... Siddek

[flash=200,200]http://www.setika.com/forum

I cannot agree more my friend, His works have touched the lives of many and the world truly has lost one of its greatest marvels, But i cannot help feeling guilty that no matter what he felt or how much pain he was in (towards the end) he never gave up, he continued on for us all...

He was the best example of what a man should be, The True Dragon....

My Heart Weeps for him and his family...

May the creators hand shelter him and the mothers last embrace protect him until his rebirth....

All my prayers hold him and his family, Thank You for Everything you have done Harriot, For your support of a man loved by all, His works shall always be remembered and passed on by all to the next generation to enjoy the love, laughter, and tears he has shared with us all.....

RIP My Lord Dragon...... Siddek

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had found this place sooner.  It is a sad day indeed when one learns that their personal hero and favorite author has been gone for several months.

The way I began reading the wheel of time is kindy interesting, so I'll tell the very brief version of it.  I was 13, and into everything dragons, so my mom bought me "The Dragon Reborn" for my birthday, thinking it was a book about dragons coming back into existance.  I tried to read it, but was totally lost; fascinated beyond belief, but totally lost.  That was 16 years ago.  Since then much has happened in my life.  I went through stages of depression so deep that I seriously considered suicide, been married and divorced, countless other events, but one thing remained with me.  The story of three young men from a backwater village in the middle of nowhere, and the women that care for them, making their way in an ever changing world that seems to grow darker and more dangerous by the day.  Their stubborn refusal to let that darkness win has been an inspiration even in my darkest hours; it's what kept me sane during a couple of points in my life...  Maybe even why I am still here to write this.

One phrase has always stuck with me from all of this, please forgive me if my spelling is off, this is straight from memory...  Dovie andi se'tovya sagain...  For anyone reading this that may not know the meaning, (I know that's unlikely, but...) it means "It's time to roll the dice..."  This is how life should be lived, it's all a game of chance.  Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose; it's that simple...  I am WAY off topic, but I just wanted to share how much of an impact the wonderful Mr. James Oliver Rigney jr. has had in my life.  I only wish this tragedy had not gone unnoticed by myself for so long.

Considering that reading this terrible news brought tears to my eyes, I can only imagine how hard this must have been for those of you who actually knew this incredible man, his friends, and especially his family.  My heart genuinely goes out to all of you.  May God have his comforting hand on all of you, and may His blessings pour out on you for all of the wonderful things that have come from this man.  Rest in Peace, Creator.

Does anybody know the location of Jims grave im traveling from maine to florida and would like to stop and pay respects to this great writer on my way through. Respond or email me at marlow22@gmail.com

Thank you

So I spent the last two hours pouring my heart out for my first post. All about how great an impact Jim had on my life, and how I count him as a father. How I would not be the person I am today without his world. I clicked the post button, only to have it say I'm not allowed to post, because i was logged out. I feel comletely gutted. I was even crying as I wrote. and the automatic logout feature completely screwed me. How can I write all that again? I grew that farewell post out of my internal feelings, and it got wiped out. completely. I should have previewed it, I guess, but I edited as I wrote, and felt I just wanted to get it out there, as some kind of good bye. I feel completely drained now, not to mention pissed off. I gues I'll summarize, but it's going to feel cheap and unworthy. Dammit.

I started reading the WoT at age ten, as a way to keep my hyper-active self from driving my mother crazy. It influenced every facet of my personality, and helped grow my skills of reading, story comprehension, leadership, writing,interpersonal interactions, and helped me focus on something (I may have ADD, but my mom never believe in medicalizing such problems). With a somewhat turbulent family life, Jim gave me a constant waypoint in life. Rand, Mat and Perrin were characters I have modeled myself after, and his departing has left a hole in my heart. I only found out today of this situation, and coupled with the loss of my previous outpouring, I now feel completely empty. Like a rudderless ship, stuck in the doldrums. I have read and re-read the WoT repeatedly, and given out copies of the Eye of the World t friends who later became hooked. There has been nothing outside of my Mother, Father, Step-Father, Step-Mother and martial arts that has been such a constant, positive impact on my life. I have been waiting, loving, living the Wheel of Time for longer than I have been alive without it. It has shaped my personality, my skills, and my view of the world like nothing else.

To say goodbye to Rand, Mat, Perrin, Lan, Loial, Nynaeve, Min, Egwene, Elayne, the Aiel and the entire world of the WoT s a moment I have been dreading for the better part of a decade. But I always assumed that Jim would be there after for me to express what this series has meant to me. To have found out, this late to boot, about losing him is like having a piece of my heart cut out. It will have to suffice to share his amazingly positive impact on my life with his family and friends, and my fellow WoT absorbees. To lose him is like losing my grandmother, only worse, as I knew for a long time prior that i would have to say goodbye.

I find myself distressed that it will not be Jim who will close this chapter that he began in my early years. But I also find solace in the fact that Harriet hand chose the man to complete this work, and that several people who were working with Jim will help see it to completion. It is my belief that Jim's spirit will be manifest in this final work.

And so, with that short summary that misses many of the things I said previously, I must say good bye to a man who has taught me so much, that gave so much to my life, for so little in return. How does one say goodbye to a father whom one has never met?

Goobye, Father. You will live on in the hearts and memories of your family, friends, and the millions of people whose threads you have pulled. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Words cannot do justice to the honor a man like James Oliver Rigney jr deserves. To start off, he was a master of his craft and all of his books were hugely successful. I like to think that when passing he knew that he had accomplished a lot and had left a mark on the world. While I've never personally met him, I had always read that he was very nice and talked to many of his fans on book tours. It was nice to know that such a kind and friendly person was writing the books I love so dearly.

I can still remember exactly how I came to be enraptured by RJ's WoT series. I was maybe 10 or 11 and my mom had checked out Eye of the World from the library for me, knowing how much I liked fantasy books. Admittedly, I never read it much until my parents started watching the alien thriller "Signs" one night. Well, being young and easily frightened, I excused myself from the movie a third of the way in to go to my room. I could still hear the sounds through my door though, so to try and distract myself from unpleasant thoughts, I read the EotW. Even after the movie was over, I continued to read obsessively and quickly read the rest of the series. Now, 6 years later, it remains my favorite series of all time, and I have no doubt that it will remain my favorite for a very long time to come.

News of his passing was a huge shock to me. I knew he was ill, but it had never really dawned on me that he could actually die. News of his death ranks pretty high on my list of tragedies. He was such a promising author even at his age, as he always planned to write more prequels and off-stories in the WoT world.

Right now, I am re-reading the series, again, in preparation for A Memory of Light. I believe that through Robert Jordan's detailed and thorough notes, as well as the help of his wife Harriet, Brandon Sanderson will be able to channel as much of the original author as possible. I know that at the end of that book I will probably be bawling my eyes out, but I still look forward to it. The title itself is somehow fitting to how I feel. I will definitely remember James Oliver Rigney jr, the brightest light in my world of books and fantasy. Thank you RJ, for bringing so much joy to so many people, myself included.

• 3 weeks later...

It was about a month and a half ago that I picked up the first book of many in this great series.  Six weeks to be exact.  Most of my time during these past weeks was spent reading the first 4 1\2 books; I'm currently on the fifth, The Fires of Heaven, and am proud to be able to dive into a world created by a great man, James Oliver Rigney Jr.; for, if any man is to be called great, it should be him.  It was only today that I learned of his death, and it was today that I shed tears for a great man in his grave.  It takes a lot of time and effort to create just a small world, and even more to create the world of the Wheel of Time.  James, may you shelter in the palm of the Creator's hand, and may the last embrace of the mother welcome you home.  May your family always find water and shade.

-Tara Manier, Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah

I am deeply saddened to read of the death of James Oliver Rigney. I came to this site with the purely selfish intention of finding out when the last book is coming, and now that news no longer matters one iota.

Thank you Robert, for Robert you have been to me for the last 8 years, for the wonderful world you brought to life with the wheel of time.  I have watched how you wrapped the adventure round the characters, making them grow from naive kids into truly strong adults.  Weaving a story like the WOT is an awesome feat, and although it won't replace the man, the legacy will enchant and enthrall readers for many many years to come.

rest in peace Robert.

Jassen

He was and still is the greatest there ever was. Before Mr. Jordan, life seemed small, dull, meaningless. By reading his pages an entire new world became clear right before my eyes, only to realize that my life could approach the reality these books portrayed:In other words to perservere. To remain undefeated till the end. Not to care about the darkness but to focus on the light. Robert Jordan shed his light upon my life and I through my own books I wish to publish will try to shine what he taught me on to the world in return. Thank you from the bother of my heart, oh creator, my saviour. And even though I never met you, you're as close to my heart as my dearest of friends. Live on Robert Jordan through our hearts and dreams...

He was and still is the greatest there ever was. Before Mr. Jordan, life seemed small, dull, meaningless. By reading his pages an entire new world became clear right before my eyes, only to realize that my life could approach the reality these books portrayed:In other words to perservere. To remain undefeated till the end. Not to care about the darkness but to focus on the light. Robert Jordan shed his light upon my life and I through my own books I wish to publish will try to shine what he taught me on to the world in return. Thank you from the bother of my heart, oh creator, my saviour. And even though I never met you, you're as close to my heart as my dearest of friends. Live on Robert Jordan through our hearts and dreams...

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed.  I as well.  He filled me with more wisdom than any other individual in my life...mind I still seem to lack the wisdom to apply it properly, but perhaps book 12 has that answer?  Or perhaps that wisdom must come from within.  *shrug*  More over he has taught me that if you're going to do something, you might as well do it right.

Bare with me here, I'm going to give you some history...........

I stumbled upon the first book in my teachers library...

Ironically, it was just around the same time Mr. Rigney passed away....at the beginning of the school year...

I needed a book and searched the bookshelves, but to my disappointment, there were not many fantasy/fiction books that I normally read. I looked desperately for a good book and finally found three paperback books that seemed related...

They turned  out to be the first book (and a half)of The Wheel of Time series, it was big, for a paperback that only turned out to be only half a book, but I chose it anyways....I actually ended up confusing myself by reading the glossary at the back first, then proceeding to read the book itself. I first thought that all Wisdom's were Aes Sedai...but i eventually got the gist of it.....

The books captured me for the next several months as I read all 11 in 4-5 months......I read the copyright on the last few books to predict when the next book would come out.....and I waited....

.....and waited....never willing myself to check on the internet.....

Then last week I checked out Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, and Elantris (which I am currently reading)........

I decided to finally check out one of the many author's websites of the many books I've read (at 5 o clock in the morning) because Sanderson reminded me of Robert Jordan's writings (also ironic).....

and saw that Mr. Rigney died and that Mr. Sanderson would be finishing his series with the help of notes and family members....

I was deeply saddened, tears coming to my eyes knowing that a man (even though I never knew him, except through his wonderful books) had left this world.....

But I know he left his mark on the world, and that he touched many peoples lives as I read this forum and other websites about him............

I'm sure he was a great man and actually thought it would be nice to him once after reading the first book...

He will always be remembered and his books taught us all about Life and ourselves....

A very belated Goodbye To James Oliver Rigney Jr. AKA: Robert Jordan.....

Maybe he now lives in the Dream World (I forgot how to spell it...Telranhiod something way off of that)

Rest In Peace

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading the 5th book (recently started reading them), and ironically I first found out about his books the month he passed away.

The more I read them, the more I want to read it but  at the same time not rush it because you can miss so much by speeding things up.  I've been trying to be careful and rather than read them all in a month, I decided to read the last with a half-month for each or so.

Anyways, he's definitely become one of the top three writers I've been inspired by.  He, Tolkien, and Lewis all gave me different levels of writing and really have helped me.  Writing takes a long time, especially a well-written story.  I'm trying to imagine how much time he [Robert Jordan] spent on those books.  Eleven books already released with well over 600-1000 pages (maybe even more in the later ones I haven't read!) in each of them.  That takes patience, love and dedication for it, creativity, and a lot of careful planning.

Cheers to him for making such an amazing series that has yet to release another book, even after his death (sadly).

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nephitess

OK all!!!! *dances around excitedly!!*

I have finished connecting all the patches and just need to do sme finishing around the edges. I may do some other detailing, but we'll see. here are some pictures...

afagan007.jpg

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan006.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan005.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan004.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan003.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan002.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t233/Nephitess/Projects/afagan001.jpg[/img]

So yeah... just thought i'd give you all a update. I am really sorry this has taken sooooooooooooo long. *sighs* but it is getting finished. ;D

Archived