DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

Guest Dashara

It sounds like the last couple of years have been really hard on you.  I hope you've fully recovered now.  These books have helped me get through some depressing and painful times too.  They are like old friends now.  One summer I was in a lot of pain from a stomach injury and I literally spent months curled up on the sofa reading these books in the warm sunshine.  They completely took me out of my physical pain.  That's what is so great about books, they take you out of yourself and leave you somewhere else for a while. 

It was a beautiful tribute that you wrote, and I hope these are better times for you.

Dashara

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dashara

It's the same situation for me too.  I regret this so much.  I wanted to write him a letter when I first read 'Eye of the World' 14 years ago and I never did.  And I've thought of it so many times since then, but never got around to it.  I can't believe I've lost my chance now.  :(

That sounds great leebar. I myself am a student considering creative writing as a profession. I started writing my first book at age 12(unfortunately I didnt finish) but I hope to someday soon begin on a story that's been formulating for years now...

let us know when it is finished, and thank you for the response to the Jordan poem I penned. The man was quite possibly the biggest single inspiration in my life for writing.

I feel so sad and bad actually that today is the day I have discovered that Robert Jordan was gone.  I knew he was ill I just took it for granted that he would recover.  To find out that he died on my birthday however was another blow.  I have not felt this sad since I was online one day and a friend popped on and told me that MZB had died (Marion Zimmer Bradley).

We connect ourselves to the authors we read.  We find ourselves in their characters and their struggles.  Many times while reading WOT I have been amused and irritated and sadden by the characters and their interactions. 

I am glad to hear that they will continue on and I am sure that his spirit will continue to touch all those that read his works and the Wheel will continue to turn.

• 3 weeks later...

I knew RJ had been in the Army and Nam, but never knew what or how extensive his service was until I saw the framed medals photograph.  If I'm correct, these are:

Medals top to bottom, left to right:

Distinguished Flying Cross w/ Oak Leaf Cluster (for 2nd award)

Soldier's Medal, Bronze Star w/ Combat "V" and Oak Leaf Cluster (for 2nd award)

Air Medal w/ a bunch of gold and silver clusters for multiple awards (> 10 I think)

Army Commendation Medal,

Good Conduct Medal,

National Defense Service Medal,

Vietnam Service Medal w/ 4 bronze stars (5 tours in 'Nam total)

Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross (foreign award)

Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal (foreign award).

Ribbon bars in the middle are unit awards. They are (top to bottom, left to right):

Presidential Unit Citation

Army Valorous Unit Award

Army Meritorious Unit Award

Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation  (foreign award)

Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation (foreign award)

Badges:

The wings in the middle are for a Senior Aviation Crewman

Badge on bottom right w/ stuff hanging off is a rifle markmanship badge.

The service stripes on the bottom left state he served 12 years (one stripe per 3 years service)

The unit patch in the top middle is for the 1st Aviation Brigade.

From the rank insignia, he ended up as staff sergeant (E-6 paygrade), one paygrade below a Marine Gunnery Sergeant.

From the fruit salad and rank insignia, I'd say he was a door gunner or crew chief on a helicopter for five tours in Vietnam, he got shot at a lot, but never got dinged unless there's a Purple Heart in another frame.

It makes more sense to me now that his work had that genuine sense of brotherhood between his characters as grows between brothers-in-arms in combat, because he experienced it deeply, and often.  His experience in Viet Nam would have changed him forever, and his work showed that.  He would have "re-upped" for those extra tours because of his buddies still there, not for the flag, the country or the greater good.  Under fire, the world shrinks to your pals and you, there, being in danger together and doing what you have to do to survive together.

He was a Warrior fighting that last battle with his "buddies" by his side, his eyes open, his teeth bared, and spitting in Sightblinder's face.  God keep you RJ; he needs men of your courage up there.

ewlon3

The dream will never end. He will live on in the world he created and in the hearts of all of us. Just remeber, it is only good by for now...we will meet again one day. There are so many stories left to tell and the greatest of gleemen will have an eternity to tell them to us. I for one can't wait to learn more about the Age of Legends. It is only good-bye for now.

p.s.: My wife and I just bought a book each so we didn't have to fight over them.

I don't know about the rest of you but i personally think that RJ took fantasy to a whole new level! i have nothing i could ever write like his own, but i will say that one thing i'm angry at him for is dying before the WoT series!

RIP Robert Jordan I will never forget your writing.

I know this is coming really late, but this was such a tragedy.  I've been a fan of Mr. Jordan's work since I first read Eye Of The World 10 years ago.  His writing captivated me and made reading each book a pleasure. He will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

All of us have been touched by this man, both by his books and on this website. He brought us into a world that thrilled us and kept us reaching for more. But we see there is so much more to this man and the people priveledged to be on this website got to see it.

First we see what he did in Vietnam. How he saved the lives of so many of his friends and served his country with honor and Pride.

Then we see him writing and the world that he loved came to life for all of us, to enjoy and be caught up in so much that for years we waited with baited breath for any new things from our author.

Now, to this point, he is like many authors. But now, we get to this website. Very few authors would make a blog for people to ask questions THEN get on that blog and answer many of the questions. All of a sudden, he has become more than just an author. Now, he is a friend that will talk one on one with just anyone that has a question or a comment concerning his books. He had a great humour that he could laugh at himself and also understanding his faults recognized them and wasn't afraid to admit them.

Then the greatest part of all. He becomes ill. What happens? Does he turn away from the people who he has talked to and become close through his books? Does he spend all of his time on the blogs complaining about "Poor me, I'm sick and you all need to feel bad for me." NO!! NO!! NO!! A thousand times NO!!! This AMAZING man not only continued talking to his friends (sometimes through his relatives, thank you Wilson), he found out other people were sick or had relatives that were sick and he wished them well!! He was jubilant when they would get better and sorrowful if they didn't! He always was positive and caring to complete strangers! No, not complete strangers, HIS FRIENDS!!!

I would hope with all my heart, that if I ever was suffering a terrible illness, that I could take the illness as positively as this Amazing Man! That I could think of others more than my own suffering!

God Bless This AMAZING Man!!!

42Bonzo88

All of us have been touched by this man, both by his books and on this website. He brought us into a world that thrilled us and kept us reaching for more. But we see there is so much more to this man and the people priveledged to be on this website got to see it.

First we see what he did in Vietnam. How he saved the lives of so many of his friends and served his country with honor and Pride.

Then we see him writing and the world that he loved came to life for all of us, to enjoy and be caught up in so much that for years we waited with baited breath for any new things from our author.

Now, to this point, he is like many authors. But now, we get to this website. Very few authors would make a blog for people to ask questions THEN get on that blog and answer many of the questions. All of a sudden, he has become more than just an author. Now, he is a friend that will talk one on one with just anyone that has a question or a comment concerning his books. He had a great humour that he could laugh at himself and also understanding his faults recognized them and wasn't afraid to admit them.

Then the greatest part of all. He becomes ill. What happens? Does he turn away from the people who he has talked to and become close through his books? Does he spend all of his time on the blogs complaining about "Poor me, I'm sick and you all need to feel bad for me." NO!! NO!! NO!! A thousand times NO!!! This AMAZING man not only continued talking to his friends (sometimes through his relatives, thank you Wilson), he found out other people were sick or had relatives that were sick and he wished them well!! He was jubilant when they would get better and sorrowful if they didn't! He always was positive and caring to complete strangers! No, not complete strangers, HIS FRIENDS!!!

I would hope with all my heart, that if I ever was suffering a terrible illness, that I could take the illness as positively as this Amazing Man! That I could think of others more than my own suffering!

God Bless This AMAZING Man!!!

42Bonzo88

I am writing my twelth grade english research on Robert Jordan. He will always be my favorite author and to write this research paper on him was an easy decision. I will post it when i finish it so you all can see what i have written.

Archived