DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tributes to Robert Jordan

Guest RJordan

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, which is a bit weird as I first started reading WOT 18 years ago (still find that hard to beleive!!!), and have been checking for news from this website for 8 or so years. After the 4th book I started reading every book previously written just in time before the next book gets released. So I seem to have read them plenty of times so far.......

In this time I have certainly read many many other books and series of books, some great, some shite (dark tower by stephen king being the shitest ending of any series imaginable!), but over this time nothing has come close to the quality of storytelling of WOT. So it was with great sadness, after reading of Robert Jordan's health problems over many months, to hear of his passing. Very hard to put into words what the writings of a man half a world away from you can mean to your life, suffice to say that it feels their would be something major missing from my existence without RJ's story, an empty void waiting to be filled. What a great Legacy thge man has left.

I find it hard to add anything to those, but I must say that all things said here I find in various ways from the list of ways he has affected my life. I started reading Wheel of Time maybe four or five years ago so I started pretty late... Still it's been a wonderful era in my life and I can't help re-reading the so far written series after a month or two after I finish it. After the first time I finished book 11 I just somehow found it easier to live! For that I'm in forever debt to him.

He will live on in peoples minds and hearts for the wonder that is Wheel of Time.

• 3 weeks later...

Very well written. Thank you, it expresses the way I feel. I, too, set out on a journey with 5 Emond Fielders in 1991 and have journeyed, loved, feared, and rejoiced with them for 18 years. Robert Jordan and his characters have travelled the paths of my heart beyond friendship; to family. My parents, siblings, and most of my friends have never read a fantasy book, but they all know Robert Jordan, Rand Al'Thor, Perrin, Mat, Egwene, and Nynaeve because in 1991 Mr. Rigney started a fire in my imagination and it's light has shown through into almost every part of my life. Rest in peace Robert; it has been an honor and a joy to share the journey with you. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends because for so many years you have been a part of mine.

I feel the same way. I might not have had such swings in my life, but i have been through good times and bad. I have had friends pass from my life and i have felt pain. Through everything Mr. Jordan's world and the characters he has created have stayed with me as something i can always rely on.

I started the series in 7th grade and have reread the entire series since. I am planning to reread them all again before AMoL comes out but I don't know if I will have enough time. I may buy the audio books. Nevertheless, since that fateful day in 7th grade when I saw Winter's Heart on a shelf in the bookstore, and then ordered TEotW to start the series, I have been drawn into a world that has had a very large inpact on my life. Its hard to think of a day that has gone by since I finished TEotW that I have not thought about the intricate world that Mr. Jordan provided for all of us.

• 2 months later...

A frind gave me a book today, it was about as good as any paperback book i had ever read. I thought why not so i started to read, My name is not as important as the impacked of this book on my life and the troubleing times that i found myself . You see i was a crack addict and i was as about as low as a person could get himself. I remember it being about mid 2001 i was in savannah Ga, sitting there ready to just die and go away, when this guy gave me a book to pass the time, dont get this mixed up the book didn't cure me that was my doing about 3yrs following, but it help me through some realy bad times, i remember being glued to the pages and not being able to put it down. i quickly read the first two books and i was hooked. the writings in these books are the among the best i have ever read and i have read a lot of fantasy novels in my time. The story was riviting the caritors belevable. this series of books helped me through some very bad times and for that i am forever in your dept james thank you! signed just another fan still clean and waiting with chills for the last book's (3) starting with the gathering storm to arive, i was just reading the story of brandin finnishing the story im sure it will be grate. and i know with the amagination of james that he is in the world that he so despritly loved fighting mighty dragons and such or should i say aus seide becouse i think that james would have to be rand right?

• 3 weeks later...

Robert Jordan was truly a great man. He was not just an author, he was a creator. He created a world that I love, and many others do as well. If he hadn't written The Wheel of Time, I wouldn't be the person I am right now. He's taught me respect, honor, how to deal with women :P,the value of hard work and perseverance, and that no matter how dark it is, there will always be a dawn.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just casually browsing the site when I checked out when Robert Jordan actually died as I believed it was around this date.

Well, it's seems to be exactly today 2 years ago that the dreadful news was sent into the world.

I'm just heading over to re-read the dreadful news: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=90

It's been two years and still the loss of him hits me. I'm still cherishing the one time I had the change to meet him in person. I will always keep that image of him in my mind.

Am a bit late but yeah, I noticed. It puts things into perspective.

I remember doing work experience in Year 10 at Borders and hearing there that he had died and having the staff get a bit upset. I was personally shocked and it took a while to register.

I admit that at first, I was a bit selfish in the way that the final book would never be completed but soon got my priorities straight. My condolences still go out to Harriet and the family, it's a void that can't be fulled.

Now, I'm in Year 12 and about to begin my final exams in four weeks. I hold an even higher admiration for Rigney now. I can say that his writing and descriptions have inspired me to improve my creative writing skills and while they are still lacking, it is largely because of him that I took the initiative to actually improve.

Thanks Mr. Rigney =)

When a friend with like interests informed me that you'd passed on.

Condolences to your family, and rest assured that others will pick up where you left your pen.

You have left your mark on our minds and it is of a singularly indelible sort--the mark which does not fade, the mark of the Dragon and the Wheel and interminable seasons of good and ill in another world which you have revealed for all to see and experience.

God Bless and Thank You!

PMZ

• 5 weeks later...

I was only 20 when I picked up a book in a small bookshop in Perth, Western Australia. Little did I know nearly 20 years later I would be eagerly waiting the next installment in this fantastic adventure. Like all WoT fans I was saddened to hear of Mr Jordan's passing, but after reading The Gathreing Storm I know his legend lives on. I look forawrd to the fianl two books, and a massive thankyou to the people who picked up where he left off.

I just want to thank Robert Jordan for the WoT.

Also for bringing me the only book series where I haven't been able to guess the major plots within the first half of the book.

With the WoT you seem to think one thing will happen, then 6 other things will happen and none of them are the one you thought it'd be.(and that's just during one chapter)

Being homeschooled I read a lot of books, literally hundreds. I must say the WoT is the best series I've read and probably ever will.

I was greatly saddened by your passing and wish the best for your family and friends.

I'd like to thank Brandon Sanderson for bringing the final chapters of Robert Jordan's Stories to the mass's.

~Torben NZ~

Archived