DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Changes to Perrin

JenniferL

1 hour ago, Agitel said:

We might not see Bode go to the Tower at all. Things get cut. Or, since TV shows sometimes say "one season is one year", next time we see Bode she'll be four years older than she was in episode one. Or recast and older.

So... I've read these books loads of times but not in 8 years, and I don't really remember what Bode does other than act annoying around Egwene after she's raised to Amyrlin. Oh and did she help turn the bridge to cuendillar? I think that was her...

In other words, I don't think Bode needs to make another appearance in the show.

Edited by Deadsy

15 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

So... I've read these books loads of times but not in 8 years, and I don't really remember what Bode does other than act annoying around Egwene after she's raised to Amyrlin. Oh and did she help turn the bridge to cuendillar? I think that was her...

In other words, I don't think Bode needs to make another appearance in the show.

There's also a moment in Caemlyn when Verin and Alannah are taking them to the Tower.   They meet up with Rand, he loses his temper and goes a little mental and channels around them.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Daenelia said:

8 is very very unusual for puberty in girls. That was linked, I think, to environmental issues. I really feel for girls that start puberty under 10. That is just horrid. I am sure those girls would be better off having puberty-halting medication until they are ready, mentally.

Could be environmental, could be access to nutrion, but either way, we've got a pretty big range of 8-19 with the average around 12-14.

Guys tend to start later, say 12-65.

Nutrition would affect puberty starting later, I think. Growth hormones in food (meat) does affect it to start earlier, in both genders, I am sure. Phew. I really need to re-check that, but that's it. Boys can also start puberty much much earlier than 12. It's just a little less dramatic for guys, I imagine? I mean: imagine just suddenly bleeding. It's a wonder us girls remain anwywhere near a bit sane at all during puberty.

Back to topic though. Episode 4 and Perrin. The pointed questions of the Tinkers kinda help with the whole 1st episode thing. It was like they talked about why not to pick up a weapon and Perrin just almost physically showed pain. Like they were poking a wound.

For me, it continues to work. Has it made some people change their minds, or does it still not work for some?

2 hours ago, Daenelia said:

For me, it continues to work. Has it made some people change their minds, or does it still not work for some?

I didn't like the idea from the onset. When I first heard about the theory he had a wife (based from casting information), the idea floating around was "Perrin goes on berserker rage killing his wife, becoming a pariah in the two rivers".

What we got instead, was Perrin potentially reacting to his wolf senses of Laila possibly trying to kill him while he was distracted killing a Trolloc.

We see several scenes of Marcus acting like he's stuck in his head, thinking through the puzzle. Going through Grief, and figuring out how to go on with what he did.

I wish they had spent more time developing Laila's character, and I do feel that they edited out way to much of episode one. It should have been 2 hours.

9 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I wish they had spent more time developing Laila's character, and I do feel that they edited out way to much of episode one. It should have been 2 hours.

From the AMA

Q: One of the biggest complaints I’ve seen regarding the premier is the pacing of episode 1. It’s been reported that you wanted/expected a 10 episode season and a 2 hr pilot, so it’s understandable why it had to be so cram packed when cut down to only 1 hour. Is there any possibly of a JudkinsCut being released later on?
A: Ha, I wish. But the JudkinsCut never really made it out of script form. And to Amazon’s credit, a real focus in streaming nowadays for all of the networks is “pace” and “bingeability”. Anecdotally (and apparently statistically now), tons of non-book fans made it through the first episode and right into the series without stopping down or turning it off. Maybe in the next turning of the Wheel, there’ll be the two hour season premiere featuring unlimited scenes of smithing, Coplins, Congars, and more.

I can totally get behind the idea that I do feel a little bit cheated out of time to establish anything. I would have loved a 2 hour intro. BUt I also think it would have turned off many people who do not know the books.

If this had been the late 90s, we might have had it, as everything was slower paced back then. And right now I am already seeing people saying that it isn't fast paced enough ? Different times, I guess.

6 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

I didn't like the idea from the onset. When I first heard about the theory he had a wife (based from casting information), the idea floating around was "Perrin goes on berserker rage killing his wife, becoming a pariah in the two rivers".

What we got instead, was Perrin potentially reacting to his wolf senses of Laila possibly trying to kill him while he was distracted killing a Trolloc.

We see several scenes of Marcus acting like he's stuck in his head, thinking through the puzzle. Going through Grief, and figuring out how to go on with what he did.

My issue with it, and there is no way for the show to fix my issue with it, is that it is utterly impossible for a normal human being to go through that trauma and somehow get past it in the show's time frame.

When he meets Faile he should be such an emotional wreck there is no way he could fall in love with her and have any type of relationship with the fact he just recently sliced his wife in half.

That is also why Sanderson was against the change. That kind of trauma isnt fixed because they move on to the next scene.

38 minutes ago, flinn said:

My issue with it, and there is no way for the show to fix my issue with it, is that it is utterly impossible for a normal human being to go through that trauma and somehow get past it in the show's time frame.

When he meets Faile he should be such an emotional wreck there is no way he could fall in love with her and have any type of relationship with the fact he just recently sliced his wife in half.

That is also why Sanderson was against the change. That kind of trauma isnt fixed because they move on to the next scene.

I disagree because I don't think the marriage was a healthy one.

Have you read Modesitt's Saga of Recluce? 

Spoiler

The romantic subplot of Wellspring of Chaos and Ordermaster runs like this.

Our main character starts the series married with 2 kids, but it's a strained relationship.  By the end of the first third of book 1 his wife is dead.  In the second third of book one he's formed a deep friendship and connection with a female character.  In Book 2's second half he ends up going back to that city for her and by the end they're married.

It doesn't read fast, it doesn't read like he jumped through the trama too fast, and the whole thing takes place across maybe three years?

In light of that, I don't find the idea that Perrin killed her, finds out it was actually self defense, meets and befriends Faile and ends up in love with her over the course of a year or maybe some more depending on how the show handles things to be that off.

Edited by KakitaOCU

16 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

In light of that, I don't find the idea that Perrin killed her, finds out it was actually self defense, meets and befriends Faile and ends up in love with her over the course of a year or maybe some more depending on how the show handles things to be that off.

People handle grief and trauma differently.

Some cry. Some rage. Some fill the void with alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.

We've all heard the story of a widower with 40 years of marriage getting married within a year.

Some people "fix" relationships like they do when a pet dies. They get a new one.

7 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

People handle grief and trauma differently.

I think it's really important to recognize this, and apply it to all the characters. It's more than just the loss of someone important, but their entire life and their identity, everything. It playing into Faile being a potential grounding point for a fast-changing world is very much a realistic story beat for a character like Perrin.

Did he really need a special reason to leave besides Fades will kill everyone if you don't? Honestly I always felt Perin was pretty useless through most of the series and so far he still seems pretty useless.  I also don't think you have to have a tragic backstory simply to explain why you dislike killing people with a giant axe.

Edited by Sabio

Perrin self-defense against Laila? Because she disapproved of him shirking the forge? Book Perrin is tormented by killing his enemies because he is not a warrior, per se. This is an early, for non-book readers, case of the danger he rightfully sees in his being a warrior. He goes into berserker mode, the only way to survive against the trolloc, and tragically, makes one swing too many when surprised by Laila. 

On 11/25/2021 at 12:05 PM, TheDreadReader said:

After watching some of the Dusty Wheel's latest show this morning, I started to find theories about Layla's background this morning.  I'm also throwing some Perrin and Layla's relationship theories into the mix here.

I've found...

- Layla was pregnant or had a miscarriage.

- Layla was a darkfriend.

- Layla was a Tinker.

- Perrin was secretly in love with Egwene.

- Perrin wasn't the hardest worker.

- Perrin and Layla were having money issues.

Any others?

I was wondering if Layla wasn't at Egwene's initiation because she lost a sister to that ceremony, with how dangerous it was. It could be another, or different reason, that she isn't tight with the Women's Circle... If so, that would probably have to be an older sister, OR a sister that just passed recently (making Layla at least a bit older than Perrin in that case). Could you imagine your sister having had died in that ceremony, & knowing nothing but thinking somehow it is vital to womanhood, then going thru it yourself and how pissed off you'd be. Like, what, my village just throws young women into dangerous rapids to test them or something? Or, conversely, coming to change your mind & start thinking it is terrible because while you survived, your younger sister did not.

• 4 weeks later...

in the books I really liked the naïve way all the boys had about women...all the boys thought the other boys knew his way around..hahahaha completely gone of course in the shows...and I agree with Sabio, about Perrin's resting face,   please Perrin shut your mouth...

not about show...so not necessary to read:

This is my first post and I have tried reading you all's threads to see what is acceptable and what isn't, IN GENERAL...But with the holidays and me working everyday in December it has been difficult I will keep reading so I can fit in and not be a troll in your world.

18 hours ago, 57blueday said:

in the books I really liked the naïve way all the boys had about women...all the boys thought the other boys knew his way around..hahahaha completely gone of course in the shows...and I agree with Sabio, about Perrin's resting face,   please Perrin shut your mouth...

not about show...so not necessary to read:

This is my first post and I have tried reading you all's threads to see what is acceptable and what isn't, IN GENERAL...But with the holidays and me working everyday in December it has been difficult I will keep reading so I can fit in and not be a troll in your world.

Welcome to DragonMount.   When you get a chance make sure to post an introductory thread on the Introduce Yourself forum.   Always nice to have more WoT fans.  ?

I think Perrin, like Lan, is a good example of how subjective opinion differs from person to person.  

Personally, while not a fan of "fridging", I think Perrin so far has been portrayed very well and his character arc is slow & subtle (to me), which can be difficult to translate/adapt.   I like that they have already been showing slight hints of the abilities he will benefit from as a Wolfbrother, while maintaining his lack of understanding of all that it entails.  

In The Great Hunt we know what happens when Hurin & Rand get separated from the rest of the party, so I am definitely expecting this to be a pivotal moment for Perrin, but we shall WAFO.  

Other than wanting more Perrin on screen, which was obviously difficult due to the lack of Perrin centric chapters past Caemlyn/Tar Valon. I do not really have much to quibble about in terms of Perrin or his portrayal.   

Edited by ArrylT

The portrayal of Perrin is lacking when viewed as he is meant to be one of the main characters. 

He essentially has no agency outside of what the others are allowing/offering to him. His only part at the moment is to act as device for Egwene to channel / attack the whitecloaks and for Rand and Egwene to have an argument. 

Outside of that, he doesn’t really have anything particularly significant at the moment. 

He killed his wife but neither he, nor any of the other characters actually seemed to care beyond using her as a weapon to say that he only got engaged to her because Rand / Egwene became official. 

The above, when allied to the real lack of acting ability of the main actor, renders him a pointless character. The two main issues I have with the actor are holding his mouth open at all times (BREATHE THROUGH YOUR NOSE) and that when he does speak, it is like he is using those words for the first time in his life, whilst suffering through a significant concussion. 

I think the latter is meant to be the actor portraying ‘deliberate’ but it’s done in such a way that I would assume the character is meant to have learning difficulties of some description, except he doesn’t have any in the book. 

I'm not a big fan of the portrayal so far but it's hard to say if that's because this is how he is portraying Perrin, or if it's because this is how he's portraying Perrin who by the way just killed his wife. Honestly I really think the actor just doesn't have much to do. Even though I really disliked the pseudo love triangle crap, I thought Perrin looked much better there. Big guy, might not want to harm anyone but accuse him of something like that and he's not afraid to get dangerous. I thought that was well done.