DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Content on Prime Video Wheel of Time Page!!

Elder_Haman

11 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

So is this one of those much-vaunted necessary changes for adaptation?

The change for not sharing every thought in their heads? Yes, absolutely necessary. About Moraine saying one of them might be the Dragon Reborn rather than them guessing? Probably necessary. Egwene listed as a possibility? I have seen no evidence she actually is.  It's all panic about a little trailer misdirection. The camera falls solidly on Rand whenever Dragon is said...he just moves out of frame very fast after.  Even his writeup makes it obvious with his quote about power.

Edited by WhiteVeils

Just now, WhiteVeils said:

The change for not sharing every thought in their heads? Yes, absolutely necessary. About Morsine saying one of them might be the Dragon Reborn rather than them guessing? Probably necessary Egwene listed as a possibility? I have seen no evidence she actually is.  It's all panic about a little trailer misdirection. The camera falls solidly on Rand whenever Dragon is said...he just moves out of frame very fast after.  Even his writeup makes it obvious with his quote about power.

Honestly, couldn’t Logaine be the potential fourth? Or is he solidly in the false dragon camp?

Also the "rumours" bit is interesting - rumours of what? 4 people born at about the same time? Anything else suggests that the 4 do not present at ordinary at the outset, which again, is perhaps a more radical change - but also requires a lot more explanation: where does she hear rumours, from whom, etc?

That more than anything makes me open to the idea that this summary is less ah deliberate than we may be assuming.

15 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

It's all panic about a little trailer misdirection. The camera falls solidly on Rand whenever Dragon is said...he just moves out of frame very fast after.  Even his writeup makes it obvious with his quote about power.

Josha is listed in the starirng/main cast next to Rosamund and Daniel. That alone suggests that he is the Dragon. And yes, the voiceover just happens to say the things that Rand is doing at that moment. "The dragon will stand against the darkness.." and we see Rand standing on a cliff while others are sitting on ground etc. No worries there.

Edited by DaddyFinn

And it appears they are dropping Emond’s Field as the town name, which likely means we won’t get the story of Aemon, at least not in the explanation of how the town name evolved. Maybe we still get the story, but I’m not sure. I’ve only found Two Rivers references. Anyone find anything else? 

3 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

I could be stupid, but where it this on the Amazon page? I looked everywhere and I don’t see it. 

3 hours ago, thievingsackofpotatoes said:

I'm having the same issue! Are people using a VPN? Wondering if it might be location based content.

It looks like some of the content on that page won't display unless you allow your browser to enforce DRM restrictions.

• Community Administrator
7 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Yes. I would not be happy about a change like that. And it would take some work to earn my goodwill back from a change like that. 

Hey, at least if she believes Egwene "could" be a dragon, it solves the bigger, "did she speak a lie" issue.

Maybe Dannil Lewin will get the original idea for his role restored. ?

I think people should be braced for Egwene being presented as a possible candidate for the Dragon Reborn. Don't panic yet, but brace yourselves. (I feel absolutely certain they would not actually make her the DR.)

Edited by Agitel

8 hours ago, Tim said:

I find it interesting that many people seem more concerned with including Egwene in the misdirection as to who is the dragon reborn than the fact that it appears Moiraine just baldly explains that the reason she has to take any of them away from Emond's Field at all is the fact that one of them might be.

I haven't seen the material yet, so my question may be irrelevant, but, once more, i want to check that we're not jumping to conclusions:

do we actually know that moiraine explains that to the emond fielders?

or is it just something that we, as watchers, would know? the first episodes will be featured a lot through moiraine's viewpoint, so she knows she's looking for the DR and the public will know she's looking for the DR, and the blurb will emphatize that.

it doesn't mean she will flat out tell them

3 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

I haven't seen the material yet, so my question may be irrelevant, but, once more, i want to check that we're not jumping to conclusions:

do we actually know that moiraine explains that to the emond fielders?

or is it just something that we, as watchers, would know? the first episodes will be featured a lot through moiraine's viewpoint, so she knows she's looking for the DR and the public will know she's looking for the DR, and the blurb will emphatize that.

it doesn't mean she will flat out tell them

Apparently in the scenes showed at London MCM she flat out tells them something to that effect.

Let's not forget that marketing =/= showrunning. It's the job of the producers to make the series but it's the job of the marketing team is to draw as many viewers to the show as they can. Perhaps part of that strategy is putting Egwene (a young female) at the forefront of a lot of the marketing materials and making her appear as a potential DR. I don't necessarily agree with it, and as book readers we know that it's misdirection. But n00bs won't know that and I'm certain if you asked any Amazon executive, if they had the chance to gain 5 new viewers for every book viewer lost, they would take that a thousand time out of a thousand. And if some book purists go to their online nerd forums to seethe over some marketing materials then, oh well, what can you do.

I have certain misgivings about some of the creative choices they seem to have made but I cannot believe that once we see the show, that they actually made Egwene a potential DR...that is far too significant of a lore change. The good news is that we are only 3.5 weeks (!) away so we won't have to wait too long to find out

Edited by Orel P

• Community Administrator
54 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Where is she supposed to speak a lie?

Before this came out, there was some argument that "One of you four could be the Dragon", would be a lie, if she knew Egwene definitely couldn't be the dragon because she was female. (I say it would have been a lie, knowing Egwene couldn't, other's say it wasn't a lie because it was truthful that one was the dragon.)

So, my post was stating, this wording removes any doubt of "lying" from the equation, and moves it to "Moiraine doesn't know which of the four is the dragon, and any one of them could be, including Egwene".

And maybe worth keeping in mind that these little snippets are so poorly written, you have to wonder how much communication there was between Random Marketing Guy who whipped these up and the actual production team. Rafe may know all the subtle ins and out of the lore, the DR, saidar vs. saiden, etc., but whoever wrote these little bios may not. They are riddled with errors, bad writing, and bad grammar:

For example:

A mysterious and powerful Aes Sedai capable of channeling the One Power, her arrival brings with it concern, and threat of chaos.

shouldn't it be "and a/the threat of chaos"

Aes Sedai may never speak that which is not true, but the truth one tells you is not always the truth you may think.

This is so clunky it hurts my head. I doubt RJ ever worded it so poorly.

She’s promised to marry Rand, but others see her potential.

What does this even mean? (I know what it means; it's just very clumsy.)

The town Wisdom wishes to train her, and the arrival of an Aes Sedai who wants to take her from Two Rivers further complicates her once simple life.

So now it's Two Rivers, not the Two Rivers?

She’s quickly realizing she could be more important than anyone ever imagined.

Except for all those other people who saw her potential...?

When Moiraine arrives in Two Rivers, he pays little mind.

Okay, Two Rivers it is! Oh, wait a second...

Nynaeve is fierce and assertive, commanding respect as the youngest Wisdom the Two Rivers has ever seen.

?

I could go on! (and on and on) but the point is, maybe we should not take these dinky little write-ups like they are the gospel truth.

53 minutes ago, Orel P said:

Let's not forget that marketing =/= showrunning. It's the job of the producers to make the series but it's the job of the marketing team is to draw as many viewers to the show as they can. Perhaps part of that strategy is putting Egwene (a young female) at the forefront of a lot of the marketing materials and making her appear as a potential DR.

It could just be marketing, but it does seem an intentional choice to avoid saying (in the marketing materials) that the Dragon Reborn will be a male, and even saying there are four potential fits, not just three.

Edit: I know this type of talk is upsetting to some. I'm really just curious what they're doing at this point and am not judging yet.

Edit 2: While I don't want to set false expectations, I just wanted to go back to my Dannil Lewin joke. The marketing could be pulling a fast one on us, there could be four boys, and one could die in the first episode/Winternight. If I had to guess, I think this less likely, but we'll see.

Edited by Agitel

11 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Those "lore-breaking consequences" will probably affect absolutely nothing in the show. Nothing.

Respectfully, could not disagree more. 

The Dragon Reborn was terrifying... because Saidin was tainted. The entire reason the finding the Dragon was so important was so that he could be controlled.... not just so that the Aes Sedai could be in control  (though that was there) but because touching Saidin was SOOOO dangerous. The Dragon is male. Making it ambigious...... it is a change with a lot of consequences.

3 hours ago, Agitel said:

Maybe Dannil Lewin will get the original idea for his role restored. ?

I think people should be braced for Egwene being presented as a possible candidate for the Dragon Reborn. Don't panic yet, but brace yourselves. (I feel absolutely certain they would not actually make her the DR.)

More than braced.

I am now assuming it will be the case.

I think they are actually going to do it.

?