DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Content on Prime Video Wheel of Time Page!!

Elder_Haman

Its FINE. 

They are not changing the Dragon Reborn.

Its still Rand.

Let them have their reason to justify bringing her along. 

It is just as good a reason as the one provided in the book. Probably better. It was always kinda weird.

And honestly I kinda wish they did more pump fakes in the books.

It really was obvious right away Rand was the Dragon.

But that is to the omnipresent reader… perhaps “in-world” it was more vague.

But as a reader nah. You knew. Within the first 3 pages you knew lol.

Just now, TheMountain said:

It's not fine, and it doesn't just matter that Rand will be the DR anyway. Making Egwene even a *possibility* is completely lore-breaking and a massive change to the worldbuilding of the series.

Then don’t watch. Make your displeasure known by reducing viewer counts.

I’m not letting it affect me, personally. Do what you feel is best but its not going to change now. Its wrapped. 

11 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Though to be fair I DO this when I have absolutely zero intention of watching something… and less wikipedia and more CinemaSins “Everything Wrong With” lmao.

But not with something I plan to enjoy. ?

Same. I have watched several videos that destroy the new Star Wars films and some super hero flicks etc. and those just made me more certain I'll never watch them myself

Edited by DaddyFinn

And honestly… lore breaking? Worldbuilding?

As a fan you really have no say in what is lore.

Jordan did that.

Sanderson did that.

And now Rafe has been green lit by the rights holders.

We as fans may not LIKE what is being made into lore but it is what it is.

I personally loved the DISNEY sequels to Star Wars. I know many people who hated them. But at the end of the day The House Of Mouse decides now what is lore - whether fans like it or not.

The same goes for this. And honestly even if Jordan was alive today - and approved the changes. There are fans who would bitch at HIM for changing the world.

Just now, TheMountain said:

There is nothing about this change that "makes it work better on screen." This change is for one reason and one reason only... because somebody thought it was problematic that the prophecized savior was male, lore-breaking consequences be damned...

Those "lore-breaking consequences" will probably affect absolutely nothing in the show. Nothing.

1 minute ago, DaddyFinn said:

Those "lore-breaking consequences" will probably affect absolutely nothing in the show. Nothing.

Yeah but lore is for the fans. Its breaking the fans. 

I just know the series premier is fast approaching. And my happy ass will be in the seat watching.

Unless they turn rand into a furry. There are some lines even I can’t cross. 

LOL

I find it interesting that many people seem more concerned with including Egwene in the misdirection as to who is the dragon reborn than the fact that it appears Moiraine just baldly explains that the reason she has to take any of them away from Emond's Field at all is the fact that one of them might be.

This seems to me to be the much more fundamental change.

In the books, as much as you can guess basically from the outset that that is where the narrative is going - especially after Ba'alzamon refers to a bunch of names including Logain in the boys' dreams in Baerlon - there's no explicit suggestion even to Rand that he might be the DR until maybe a few hundred pages into The Great Hunt (I think the first time is in his audience with Siuan). Perrin and Mat find out some time later, and Egwene and Nynaeve don't find out until the end of the book (though they know he can channel by the end of book 1).

Much of the misdirection in TEOTW is driven by the fact that the reason one or more of the boys is "special" is opaque. The boys even assume it's probably Mat after he starts spouting the old tongue.

Of course this is a standard dramatic irony trope - we know what's happening long before most of the main characters do - but there are at least some arguably reasonable motivations to take the show in a different directions.

At the outset, the whole "the DO wants something from one of you and that's reason enough to leave the Two Rivers and go to Tar Valon" explanation from Moiraine was always so obviously thin and unpersuasive that it's possible that the showrunners just felt audiences wouldn't buy it. I just re-read TEOTW and it certainly felt as off to me as it always does - if there's a reason it kind of works in the book, it's that at that point Rand is as dumb as a bag of rocks. Going back to that dream in Baerlon, the fact that none of Rand, Mat or Perrin twig from the mention of Logain that Ba'alzamon is suggesting they might be able to channel and/or be set up as the DR is also kind of incredible.

But there's a lot of possible knock-on consequences to Moiraine revealing this prospect so early. Does this mean that the boys all immediately wonder if they can channel?

Or is there an attempt to not create a necessary link between the two, at least based on what people generally know about the dragon reborn (in the books several of the False Dragons can't channel)? 

Does the knowledge that one of them might be the DR lend added portent to Egwene discovering her ability, Perrin realising he can communicate with wolves, Mat speaking the old tongue, Rand's father's ramblings in the forest?

And is that the important dynamic for the showrunners: the fact that any time something different or special emerges about a character, it seems shot through with added importance and perhaps doom?

Edited by Tim
Missed a line

19 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

*sigh*

Rumor no more...

Screenshot_20211025-171539_Reddit.jpg

“She had heard rumors of four young people who potentially matched the prophecy” is not the same thing is “believes the Dragon Reborn might be female.”

Please stop jumping to conclusions and wait to see what they actually do in the show. No “lore breaking change” is remotely “confirmed” by this vague blurb. 

@Tim I think you bring up a more important change in the lore.

I would be curious to see how thats played. Do they know enough to know if male channelers are “evil and destined to go nuts” and be fearful. Do they know too little and be like “can I has fire?”. Or is it never explicitly linked and they fear it just cuz its known the Dragon broke the world? Or is it not linked, they know too little about the Breaking - and then when the link DOES become clear then its like “Yes Im the Dragon reborn…oh…oh no…im the Dragon…Reborn” *insert Kevin McCalister scream*

There are good storyboard options for this.

2 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

“She had heard rumors of four young people who potentially matched the prophecy” is not the same thing is “believes the Dragon Reborn might be female.”

Please stop jumping to conclusions and wait to see what they actually do in the show. No “lore breaking change” is remotely “confirmed” by this vague blurb. 

They could be referring to Bela.

Bela is people. ?

12 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

And honestly I kinda wish they did more pump fakes in the books.

It really was obvious right away Rand was the Dragon.

But that is to the omnipresent reader… perhaps “in-world” it was more vague.

But as a reader nah. You knew. Within the first 3 pages you knew lol.

Everyone always says this.  I believe differently.  I've felt that RJ wanted the reader to understand who was the Dragon, but also the let the reader know/understand that none of the characters knew who the Dragon was. 

As far as the new content, it's pretty cool to see but also a slight letdown.  Baerlon isn't on the map, giving further evidence that part of the story won't be told.  I've always loved Rands' crazy-first-after-affects-of-channeling scene vs. the whitecloaks.

I'm curious why Tear is mentioned so early here.  

25 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

It's not fine, and it doesn't just matter that Rand will be the DR anyway. Making Egwene even a *possibility* is completely lore-breaking and a massive change to the worldbuilding of the series.

Letting fans think Egwene could be the Dragon is not the same thing as Moiraine adopting that as a possibility in world. 

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Letting fans think Egwene could be the Dragon is not the same thing as Moiraine adopting that as a possibility in world. 

Okay, I took the blurb as basically confirming Moraine thinks it's a possibility, but I'll take a step back for a second and concede that it doesn't necessarily mean that. However, if it WAS the case, what would your opinion on that be? Do you see it as a big deal?

The Emond Fielders may not really know what the Dragon Reborn is, let alone that he can assumably channel.  That said...things /will/ change . They have to! Three fourths of the Story only happens inside people's heads. We can't have continuous thought bubbles. We need to show it...and it also doesn't matter if their thoughts don't match what they were in the book exactly anyway because in the show we can't see thoughts anyway.  The pearl clutching is getting a little much for me.

The Dragon saved the world but also went insane and killed all those he loved. If women touch Saidar which is clean, it completely removes any logical fear of the Dragon and cuts out a key facet to the whole “he might save us or destroy us all.” Everyone knows the legends to varying degrees and even Emond Fielders would be familiar with the story. I think this is a misdirect of some kind from marketing, but if not, it’s just silly pandering which is honestly unnecessary. Egwene had her own motivations for leaving and they made perfect sense. There is no need to change them. 

* Also, I always found it impressive how much Egwene ended up accomplishing without any assistance from the pattern. 

Edited by JaimAybara

3 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

The Emond Fielders may not really know what the Dragon Reborn is, let alone that he can assumably channel.  That said...things /will/ change . They have to! Three fourths of the Story only happens inside people's heads. We can't have continuous thought bubbles. We need to show it...and it also doesn't matter if their thoughts don't match what they were in the book exactly anyway because in the show we can't see thoughts anyway.  The pearl clutching is getting a little much for me.

So is this one of those much-vaunted necessary changes for adaptation?

5 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

Okay, I took the blurb as basically confirming Moraine thinks it's a possibility, but I'll take a step back for a second and concede that it doesn't necessarily mean that. However, if it WAS the case, what would your opinion on that be? Do you see it as a big deal?

Yes. I would not be happy about a change like that. And it would take some work to earn my goodwill back from a change like that.