DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Next trailer

redarm

I am a bit torn. I was so anxious to see the first trailer because I wanted to get an impression of how good it will be. It exceeded my expectations.

They are not changing the story in terms of major events but sort of getting there in slightly different paths like the early seasons of GoT did.

So now I am in a situation where I am not even sure I want to watch the next trailer. I sort of want to be unspoiled going forward.

Of course that is likely impossible.

So things I think will be in next trailer:

1. We will see portions of actual scenes with dialogue. We really only saw images in first trailer

2. I assume we will see Thom and Min and possibly Loial

3. Likely see the Whitecloaks in the next trailer

4. I think they might show a snippet of Tarwin's gap and the Eye but they may just keep this secret

5. I think we might see a flash inside the Ways

6. They might show some of the blight

7. They will show some of Fal Dara I would think

8. They will show maybe a bath or something to preview more sensuality

I agree with a lot of those. 

Thom, and Min, are a yes.  Whitecloaks too.  And tinkers!  A snippet of the Ways would be great.  Some bigger linear context maybe, the breaking and the events of the prologue.  Maybe a hint of what the world was before, and how we got here.  

Edited by redarm

17 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Its almost a certainty there will be dialogue. Something something Dark One, Dragon Reborn, Last battle. 

They almost have to so non WoT legacy fans get an idea WHAT its all about. 

Agreed. I would think it would have to start leaning into the prophecies as that is a large part of the story and motivation for the majority of the main characters, particularly Moiraine. 

Thom, and Min, loial. Also a one on one swordfighting scene would be pretty cool it was such a big deal in the books. Also would love some shots of rand/mat in Caemlyn maybe a shot of Elayne. I think the most important aspect in the early seasons will be the acting of the three Ta'veren we all love. From limited glimpses table read, trailer, etc they seem to have hit it on the head but I would like to see a little more of them interacting IE matt cracking a joke. 

I mean, yeah, I know we can't get a full arc in a trailer or even a season, but we can get enough to promise that. The image of Egwene emerging from the water with the paint on her face while Moiraine talks about becoming a legend does that for me. I think they can do some clever juxtapositions in the next trailer to evoke similar ideas.

Edited by Rose

On 9/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, TheMountain said:

I want to actually see a bit more of the main character (Rand), Perrin and Mat this time lol. From the teaser, you would think that the show is all about Egwene, Moraine, and matriarchy.

Rand being the Dragon was pretty obvious in the books since we got a lot of his POV. I think it would be nice to try to hide it for the majority of season 1. Show more of Logain's madness and destruction and maybe gentling. Get the audience to know and like Rand as a foolish sheepherder and then reveal it. Make the audience feel the shock that Rand is feeling. It will be more impactful knowing a bit of the fate (insanity, death) that awaits him.

I just want to see some more of basic world building and mostly non-spoilery dialogue. Don't show Loial. No Dagger-Mat, no wolf-Perrin. One or two short action scenes.

Can't wait the content The Dusty Wheel and other big WoT YouTubers will make when the trailer drops. ?

Honestly Id rather see Rand from an exterior perspective. 

Half the time I’d be frustrated with how just… woolheaded he is. 

Other times terrified that he’s just gone completely off the plot. 

Edited by CaddySedai

I was never surprised by Rand being the Dragon Reborn and it didn't come across to me as something that Robert Jordan was trying to convey in his writing. It was very obvious who the Dragon Reborn was, and the interesting part was seeing *Rand* discover it as a reader. Furthermore, I found Rand's chapters in the EotW the most riveting. Would I choose to lose all the interesting POV chapters in service of a "surprise twist" that Jordan never intended? No.

9 minutes ago, TheMountain said:

I was never surprised by Rand being the Dragon Reborn and it didn't come across to me as something that Robert Jordan was trying to convey in his writing. It was very obvious who the Dragon Reborn was, and the interesting part was seeing *Rand* discover it as a reader. Furthermore, I found Rand's chapters in the EotW the most riveting. Would I choose to lose all the interesting POV chapters in service of a "surprise twist" that Jordan never intended? No.

Yes, but would it work in the show? What is more entertaining and interesting for the audience? Don't know.

3 hours ago, TheMountain said:

Would I choose to lose all the interesting POV chapters in service of a "surprise twist" that Jordan never intended? No.

Again, different media require different approaches. If the series is going to make it to the end, it has to keep viewers which means it has to be interesting and a little unpredictable. 

You can't talk about what "Jordan intended" when looking at an adaptation, because he wrote a book, not a screenplay. And those are two very different things.

The screenplay can still tell Rand's story, it just gets to tell it from the perspective of someone who doesn't have access to all of Rand's thoughts and feelings. We're going to see it from the perspective of someone watching the events unfold. 

When you think about it from that perspective, we don't know anything about Rand. Why would we assume it's his story? Why isn't it Egwene's story? Or Perrin's? Or Moiraine's? (Rosamund Pike being the most recognizable actor.)  Of course, TV isn't limited to a single perspective either. After giving us a few episodes where we follow Moiraine, we will inevitably shift to multiple POVs and get to watch each of the characters grow.

But again, we won't be privy to every thought - we have to watch how they behave with one another. Those are the limitations of the medium. And it's why we will see lots of things that weren't in the books and lose some things that were because in order to show us who these characters are without access to their thoughts, they have to find a way to visualize those thoughts in a coherent way on screen.

48 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Again, different media require different approaches. If the series is going to make it to the end, it has to keep viewers which means it has to be interesting and a little unpredictable. 

You can't talk about what "Jordan intended" when looking at an adaptation, because he wrote a book, not a screenplay. And those are two very different things.

The screenplay can still tell Rand's story, it just gets to tell it from the perspective of someone who doesn't have access to all of Rand's thoughts and feelings. We're going to see it from the perspective of someone watching the events unfold. 

When you think about it from that perspective, we don't know anything about Rand. Why would we assume it's his story? Why isn't it Egwene's story? Or Perrin's? Or Moiraine's? (Rosamund Pike being the most recognizable actor.)  Of course, TV isn't limited to a single perspective either. After giving us a few episodes where we follow Moiraine, we will inevitably shift to multiple POVs and get to watch each of the characters grow.

But again, we won't be privy to every thought - we have to watch how they behave with one another. Those are the limitations of the medium. And it's why we will see lots of things that weren't in the books and lose some things that were because in order to show us who these characters are without access to their thoughts, they have to find a way to visualize those thoughts in a coherent way on screen.

I’m actually pretty excited to see this awesome story through some different eyes and perspectives. (I already have the awesome story in the books, so a fresh telling/perspective is just MORE).  

One person in particular I think may be a substantial improvement (for me) could be Egwene. Something about how she was written grated a little on me (as a teenage boy reader). It looks like she will be a very compelling character to me this time around. Perrin also started as a favorite, but fell down the list of chapters I was excited for, hopefully that story can be improved. (I’m also nervous about a scarring fridging in the first episode-but I guess we’ll soon see how it comes off). 

I love Elder Haman’s sentiment that this could be a LOT of people’s story (as opposed to just Rands). It  just reinforces that there are some EXCELLENT characters with some fascinating arcs.  This could be a very rich series in terms of character development and interaction and world building.  It will be fun to see it all play out with old and new fans reactions. 

Edited by dssharp