DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you think of the new first look photos?!

Beidomon

Guest Wolfbrother31
12 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm looking at the picture with the best magnification, yet I cannot see perrin's eye color nor can i see his hands well enough to tell if he has a ring. are those really there? maybe the images uploaded on this site are not at the highest quality?

They did something to zoom in & had a better pic on the Dusty Wheel's YouTube channel.

I dunno, I’ve read the books multiple times and listened to the audiobooks even more. Something about the casting choices just feels off. Rosamund Pike is an amazing actress and she will do great for the short time Moraine is present in the story. These other unknowns are in a bad position having to live up to expectations while overcoming some glaring inconsistencies with the book.

They better do Lan and Matt correctly, Matt in my opinion is the single greatest character ever written in fiction. And since they have a little while, how bout a better more consistent choice for Tuon?

I’m incredibly optimistic about this show and can’t wait to watch it but so far it looks like they’re doing there best to screw it up.

Look great to me. I'd always thought of The Three Musketeers type wardrobing for head canon. Relieved that Nyn looks fierce - Ms. Robins' kind eyes had me a smidge worried.

Haven't seen the Dusty Wheel, I don't see a ring, just some stray fur from his cuff ?‍♂️ but a ring wouldn't bother me one iota ... probably wouldn't even notice it unless highlighted somehow in the show.

Egwene looks amazing ... I might be developing a crush.

Big rings for AS wasn't a tool I'd pondered but will certainly help viewers distinguish them amongst the myriad characters.

How often does Lan actually wear armor in the books? I haven't tallied but that was never something I thought he did on a daily basis. Am much more interested in how he comes across and the juxtaposition of his relationships with Nyn/Mo

9 hours ago, Fano'Lan Redux said:

Haven't seen the Dusty Wheel, I don't see a ring, just some stray fur from his cuff ?‍♂️ but a ring wouldn't bother me one iota ... probably wouldn't even notice it unless highlighted somehow in the show.

People are looking for a ring on Perrin's finger because there are rumors he's going to already be married when first introduced.

Edited by Agitel

Lan's lack of armor doesn't necessarily bother me because I don't know the context of the shot. Otherwise, I think things look great! Certainly nothing about any of this causes me grave concern. 

For me personally, my first thoughts were (1) Mat looks really scraggly, I hope this is post-dagger; and (2) Egwene looks fierce - but maybe a little too fierce for this early in the series. Idk. Looking forward to release to find out!! 

On 8/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, Elder_Haman said:

Lan's lack of armor doesn't necessarily bother me because I don't know the context of the shot. Otherwise, I think things look great! Certainly nothing about any of this causes me grave concern. 

For me personally, my first thoughts were (1) Mat looks really scraggly, I hope this is post-dagger; and (2) Egwene looks fierce - but maybe a little too fierce for this early in the series. Idk. Looking forward to release to find out!! 

Early Mat in the books is nearly unbearable for me. Would be extremely happy if they play down the childish to some degree.

14 hours ago, Fano'Lan Redux said:

Early Mat in the books is nearly unbearable for me. Would be extremely happy if they play down the childish to some degree.

The childishness gives him a chance to grow as a character.  A sign of good writing that Jordan was able to elicit such a strong response in you.  I've had similar responses to characters in lit, TV, and movies.

2 hours ago, DojoToad said:

The childishness gives him a chance to grow as a character.  A sign of good writing that Jordan was able to elicit such a strong response in you.  I've had similar responses to characters in lit, TV, and movies.

Agreed! Mat's Aloofness and childish antics are the basis of his character.

Not really intrigued. Rand and Perrin look the part, and Moiraine looks right. Lan isn't doing it here, not for me... not yet anyhow. Nynaeve and Egwene Ive never been on page with. Both actresses may surprise me though, and i hope they do... I'm just not seeing it.

• Community Administrator

The Next person that says someone is racist or woke because they disagreed with them on some random woolheaded thing is getting Balefired.

This is doubly true for anyone making actual racist dog whistles.

In the future, everyone here needs to start acting like mature adults.

Ignore the Trolls.

Ignore the flame baiters.

If you find a post offensive, deragatory, racist, filled with inappropriate language, or general flame baiting; Report It. Don't post a reply like you've got a free pass.

This isn't Facebook.

Keep all your Facebook Drama out of DM.

On 8/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, DojoToad said:

Not really though, it was more like I didn't care much about Mat on the first read years ago and skip most of his bits on re-read until the Stone pov and post-Couladin. Something for everyone to treasure in these books though, which helps make them great

I think Mat looks pretty Mat’ish. Same goes for Rand and Lan IMHO. Perrin I can maybe get behind. Same for Nynaeve. They don’t look like Two Rivers, but based upon those pics there is something in their faces that fits. Eg I’m just having a really tough time with. IMHO she is a beautiful actress but she looks too beautiful and exotic for the role. It doesn’t fit.

With each piece of content that comes out I lean more and more on simply skipping this show altogether. 

I know media adaptations are never perfect (though LotR and the first half of GoT came really really close - I also wasn't that attached to either of those stories when the media first released), but this is simply horrifying to my WoT book-loving heart.

My brain has a tendency to mentally replace faces I see from books with the film adaptations and honestly none of these actors come close for me to want to risk losing that.

Dang.  Those are some pretty strong feelings there, Ararana.

I just can't skip it personally myself.  I fear being disappointed, but I'll give it a few episodes before deciding on committing more time.

Several of the faces aren't doing it for me either - especially Mat's beard.  But it is an adaptation.  I'll see what the final product looks like first.

I know everyone is probably sick of my comparisons to The Last Kingdom - but I'll make another one cause that show rocks and is also a good barometer for what I'm hoping WoT will be -- a quality, character focused adaptation that can deviate from the source material without changing the focus of the story or the core of its main characters.

So, for example, Father Beocca is described in the books as having wild, red hair and being extremely ugly with pox scars, a lazy eye and a crippled hand. In the television show, Beocca is played by Ian Hart: 

Beocca.jpg.828cbd2015b7cfd9aca68c9c37bb705d.jpg

While the difference between the book description and Hart is vast, there was never a single time where it made an iota of difference to me watching the show. That's because Hart absolutely nails Beocca's gentle spirit, his devotion to Christ, and his compassion for Uhtred. Indeed, since the Saxon Chronicles (upon which Last Kingdom is based) are written from the first person, Hart's portrayal adds a layer of depth to the Beocca/Uhtred relationship that we don't get to see in the books due to narrative limitations.

There are many other places in The Last Kingdom where the book descriptions do not really fit the actors. In fact, I'd say it's more unusual when the actors actually seem to fit the book description. And yet Last Kingdom is a wonderful show that has only added to my enjoyment of the books because of its ability to bring forward some of the subtext from the novels in a wonderfully engaging and emotional way.

Which is all a very long worded way of saying -- don't sweat the little changes. They won't matter much. It's the tone, pacing, and character interplay that will make or break this series.