DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you think of the new first look photos?!

Beidomon

Underwhelmed for sure.  Where is Lan's armor?  Why don't Moiraine and Lan look a cut above the Emond Fielders?  I understand they are all probably wearing traveling clothes, but Moiraine and Lan's should look different.  They should look exotic.  Looks like they all got their clothes from the same store.

Perrin looking taller than Rand too.

Architecture of Shadar Logoth looked cool - but why isn't any of it ruined?  Pretty narrow shot, but would expect at least a little rubble.

Logain - there are Red Sisters following on horse, but why aren't those on the wagon Red as well?  The Reds are very jealous of their position regarding male channelers.  I know Cadsuane and others have been involved - but what a cool introduction to the Red this could have been.

Edited by DojoToad

Guest redgiant

I guess they will harp on Rand's hair color more than height in him being an outsider, when the time comes where he questions his heritage.

Kinda tough to take the “outsider” angle with this casting. EF is apparently a big melting pot! LOL. I’m trying to move past it. The casting for Eg just really seems off. Nyn might actually be ok - she’s rocking a pretty wicked braid. Looks extremely tuggable. Skirts should be suitable for smoothing. 

Edited by Beidomon

Guest redgiant

Funny thing, if you reverse these pairs' heights, they would all be about right:

Morraine and  Egwene

Lan and Perrin

Lan and Perrin are much closer in height, but I can't help feeling Perrin is a little too tall, and Lan is okay but I'd still trad a few inches from Perrin to him.

But c'mon, Egwene and Morraine seem way off in terms of their height and in opposite directions.

tbh,  like a lot of things here, but a couple really stand out as 'why's:

- why isn't Lan wearing armor? A while back I lamented that I hope they don't turn him into a samurai instead of an armored swordsman warrior. I hope this is chalked up to simply having him traveling with the EF5 and trying on purpose to downplay his 'warrior-ness' .

- why are Lan and Morraine dressed in the same sorts of garments as EF5-ers? I know they aren't really the same, but they don't look 'different enough' given who they are and where they come from, but its hard to explain what I would change.

- Perrin looks closer to Loial's size than book-Perrin's, but it may just be another thing we get used to quickly

- Egwene's height is just too short. Sorry. But other than that she may be fine, it will still take seeing the actors interact to judge. I like the photo of her with Rand MUCH more than her in the group shot.

- Matt looks like Matt, Looks like he just woke up from a night of drinking and/or gambling. Barney is going to have a field day playing Matt during this show.

- Rand looks like Rand, besides the height outlier not being a thing, at least his hair color helps with that

- I am less worried about the overall wholesale tact of the show now, but I replace that trepidation with all new ones about specific issues with specific people now that we see them. But I'll give it a chance since the quality is in the right direction, and it will all come down to characterization and selling it to us, to offset other nits.

Edited by redgiant

Looks great!

Nynaeve is my favorite character in the story, and she's in the running for my favorite character in fiction. She looks different from my imagination, but all they need to do is present her character arc well and I'll be completely on board. The mix of determination and concern in her eyes in this picture is spot on, so that's a good sign to me. Seeing the Braid for the first time is making me smile.

Regarding height, it's a negligible concern for me. Casting is hard enough without handcuffing yourself to the relative heights between a very large ensemble cast. With LotR they employed a ton of perspective tricks and practical effects to get the hobbits and Gimli to appear much shorter, but when we're talking about a few inches difference, it's just not worth it to put in that sort of effort for a minimal payoff. Instead of focusing on practical effects to make Rand look a few inches taller or Moiraine a few inches shorter than their actors, I'd rather see that focus go towards... well, pretty much anything else, to be honest. It's not needed for the story as I see it, and it could possibly be detrimental to the production to get caught up on that particular detail.

Shadar Logoth looks amazing. This is one location that I didn't have a clear picture in my head for in terms of the "cultural feel", so it's cool to see their take on that with the statues and stonework around the windows and doors. If I'm remembering it correctly, the building they camp in is mostly intact on the ground floor so this seems like a good rendition.

Logain actually looks quite different from what I had in my head, but it works. The cage is excellent. I love the Red sisters in the background looking the part. I really hope the Reds get some love in this. They're great antagonists in the story, but also their cause is pretty well-justified (although not their methods in many cases), and I want to see that piece of it get fully explored. This is something that I think the adaptation can potentially improve on compared to the books.

They're really leaning into the whole Samurai thing for Lan, aren't they?  In general, these pics keep my expectations where they were at:  low.

Beautiful sets, probably reasonably written pared down script, nonsense casting, and cheap looking costumes.

Part of the problem that I don't know if I'll be able to get around is how descriptive RJ was.  Like, he described every last aspect of his world with great specificity.  Great for reading, where you can really picture it, but not great for trying to adapt onscreen for a budget.

2 hours ago, Darth Tron said:

They're really leaning into the whole Samurai thing for Lan, aren't they?  In general, these pics keep my expectations where they were at:  low.

Beautiful sets, probably reasonably written pared down script, nonsense casting, and cheap looking costumes.

Part of the problem that I don't know if I'll be able to get around is how descriptive RJ was.  Like, he described every last aspect of his world with great specificity.  Great for reading, where you can really picture it, but not great for trying to adapt onscreen for a budget.

Lans costume is based on the Korean Hanbok so no not Samurai at all. 

I think the only reason height matters for some is because for someone like Morraine RJ kept making specific points about her being shorter, like refusing to stand on her tip toes to look for Lan in Tear.  or her thinking she tends to judge things by her own height.  So seems odd to see her look about the same height as Lan.  Now if the series is good most won't care.  But for some people like Rand it was mentioned alot how tall he was, Perin we were constantly remined how bulky he was, Morraine about how short she was.  So seems like important traits for some of the characters.

I hope that everyone ends up having a great time watching the adaptation. Specifically about the outfits, I think some of the criticisms are off-base and feel like they're reaching to reaffirm hopes for a failed show.

A blacksmith wouldn't work the forge while wearing a coat. He'd take it off. If they show Perrin at the forge with those cuffs I'll change my mind.

Lan isn't described as wearing armor all the time, and he's done an excellent job as a Warder without it in the books. I also don't see anything singularly Japanese about his outfit. Although it's clearly Asian influenced, that's always been the borderland aesthetic. His outfit doesn't need Western influences tacked on to stay true to RJ's "cultural mashup" style.

Nynaeve's braid is hard to see clearly but it's fine for someone doing her hair on the road. I'm glad it's properly thick as described.

I always took the Jordan's descriptions of dress (at least for men, with their shirts and coats) to be very 18th century western Europe/American colonies. Granted, the Westlands are a large and diverse territory, but it's how I mostly pictured the EF5, with some leeway maybe for the embroidery on fancier coats reflecting some other styles. And even the women I see in that sort of period style.

Edited by Agitel

Guest Wolfbrother31

I like the theory that they gave Matt a beard & he's the most ...ragged, shall we say ... Because he's already got the dagger! 

I'm a little concerned there's a ring on Perrin's finger.

I love Nynaeve's braid. 

Costuming is perfectly done.

The Logain pic is legit. Can't wait for that. I think they're going for crazy?? But I like he's dressed like a king even though he's in a cage & love how absolutely in control and BA Alanna looks. 

Not loving the HuGE Aes Sedai rings. They probably did that to make it obvious/visible... I'll get over it...but I don't like them. But I do like that they're decked out in their Ajah's colors. 

Love Lan's costuming. Wish Moiraine had a staff. Stupid to get rid of it. 

I like the pic of Rand staring at Egwene. I like they'll do a better job than the books with romance...at least I hope so. 

Little concerned Perrin doesn't have yellow eyes... That's an easy thing to do & it's got to be there; at least eventually. 

Overall, I'm super excited and pleased!!! Can't wait for November. 

Y'all have thoughts? 

@Elder haman@mistborn82@SinisterDeath@Asha'man Shar'aman

Hmm. I liked Perrin, and I thought Moiraine looked amazing. I understand getting rid of the staff because it’s kinda an unnecessary prop since it gets destroyed in the middle of book one. 

Lan looks like he’s in linen pajamas, which I don’t totally get, but there we have it. Everybody else is passable. 

I like the Logain pic, but I’m not totally sure what’s up with the clothes he’s wearing. He was captured in a battle, he should be wearing practical clothes, especially since that’s a lot of Logain’s style. 

Shadar Logoth looked amazing, and I can’t wait to see the city. 

I’m trying not to judge too hard based off of pictures, and I am really excited for the show, even with all the changes. 

8 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I'm a little concerned there's a ring on Perrin's finger.

Little concerned Perrin doesn't have yellow eyes... That's an easy thing to do & it's got to be there; at least eventually. 

I'm looking at the picture with the best magnification, yet I cannot see perrin's eye color nor can i see his hands well enough to tell if he has a ring. are those really there? maybe the images uploaded on this site are not at the highest quality?

On 8/18/2021 at 2:02 PM, Beidomon said:

I dunno. Nyn actually looks ok maybe? Eg - man that's a tough sell. Everybody else looks pretty great. The EW writeup isn't bad, either! Shadar Logoth looks neat. Logain looks good.

The entire thing looks epic I’ve read those books more times then I can say first one back in 96 when I was 11 im so excited they finally got brains and decided to create his world on television as long as it’s good and enough people watch it I could care less how the people look 

9 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I'm looking at the picture with the best magnification, yet I cannot see perrin's eye color nor can i see his hands well enough to tell if he has a ring. are those really there? maybe the images uploaded on this site are not at the highest quality?

To reply this first season is book 1 he does not get the eyes till later what was shown is stuff before he has the run in