DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah History Week - Past Lives Pavilion

blank

Well well well, what have we here....AH HA. 

Your past life is revealed....

Francis Bacon, (22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626) was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, and author. He served both as Attorney General and as Lord Chancellor of England. After his death, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.

Bacon has been called the father of empiricism. His works argued for the possibility of scientific knowledge based only upon inductive reasoning and careful observation of events in nature. Most importantly, he argued this could be achieved by use of a sceptical and methodical approach whereby scientists aim to avoid misleading themselves. While his own practical ideas about such a method, the Baconian method, did not have a long lasting influence, the general idea of the importance and possibility of a sceptical methodology makes Bacon the father of scientific method. This marked a new turn in the rhetorical and theoretical framework for science, the practical details of which are still central in debates about science and methodology today.

Bacon was generally neglected at court by Queen Elizabeth, but after the accession of King James I in 1603, Bacon was knighted. Bacon died of pneumonia at 65 years of age, with one account stating that he had contracted the condition while studying the effects of freezing on the preservation of meat. He is buried at St Michael's Church, St Albans, Hertfordshire.

The father of the scientific method?! Be still my science loving heart :wub: 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a mysterious past life you led! 

I see you gallivanting around cobbled streets....

Jean Buridan (c. 1295 – 1363) was a French priest who sowed the seeds of the Copernican revolution in Europe. He developed the concept of impetus, the first step toward the modern concept of inertia, and an important development in the history of medieval science. His name is most familiar through the thought experiment known as Buridan's ass (a thought experiment which does not appear in his extant writings).

Apocryphal stories abound about his reputed amorous affairs and adventures which are enough to show that he enjoyed a reputation as a glamorous and mysterious figure in Paris life. In particular, a rumour held that he was sentenced to be thrown in a sack into the River Seine, but was ultimately saved through the ingenuity of a student. Buridan also seems to have had an unusual facility for attracting academic funding which suggests that he was indeed a charismatic figure.

I'm enjoying the idea of you being a charismatic charmer who is only put up with because of strokes of genius in between adventures :laugh: 

18 please !

Oooh a very talented man in a previous life you were!

Thomas Bradwardine (c. 1300 – 26 August 1349) was an English cleric, scholar, mathematician, physicist, courtier and, very briefly, Archbishop of Canterbury. As a celebrated scholastic philosopher and doctor of theology, he is often called Doctor Profundus, (medieval epithet, meaning "the Profound Doctor").

Bradwardine went to receive confirmation from Pope Clement VI at Avignon, but on his return he died of the plague at Rochester on 26 August 1349, forty days after his consecration. He was buried at Canterbury.

What a cool title, DOCTOR PROFUNDUS

I'll go with number 1 (one), please :)

Wow, I knew you'd be a badass

Constantine XI Dragases Palaiologos, (8 February 1405 – 29 May 1453) was the last reigning Byzantine Emperor, reigning as a member of the Palaiologos dynasty from 1449 to his death in battle at the fall of Constantinople. Following his death, he became a legendary figure in Greek folklore as the "Marble Emperor" who would awaken and recover the Empire and Constantinople from the Ottomans. His death marked the end of the Roman Empire, which had continued in the East for 977 years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Constantine died the day the city fell, 29 May 1453. There were no known surviving eyewitnesses to the death of the Emperor and none of his entourage survived to offer any credible account of his death. According to Michael Critobulus (writing later in Mehmed's service) he remarked, "The city is fallen and I am still alive." Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed.

Also, I think this is a brilliant idea!

Take your time, Blank ! It's a great thread :biggrin:

Aw shucks, thanks guys!

Think your past life wasn't quite right...not ringing any bells? Disappointed?

Feel free to try again  :biggrin:

Just avoid the numbers in the OP post of fortunes already told and I'll give it another shot!

Hmmm well I thought long and hard on this one and it came to me suddenly, you were....

René Descartes (31 March 1596 – 11 February 1650) was a French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist. Dubbed the father of modern western philosophy, much of subsequent Western philosophy is a response to his writings, which are studied closely to this day.

Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy continues to be a standard text at most university philosophy departments. Descartes's influence in mathematics is equally apparent; the Cartesian coordinate system was named after him. He is credited as the father of analytical geometry, the bridge between algebra and geometry, used in the discovery of infinitesimal calculus and analysis. Descartes was also one of the key figures in the scientific revolution.

Descartes refused to accept the authority of previous philosophers. He frequently set his views apart from those of his predecessors. In the opening section of the Les passions de l'âme, a treatise on the early modern version of what are now commonly called emotions, Descartes goes so far as to assert that he will write on this topic "as if no one had written on these matters before". His best known philosophical statement is "Cogito ergo sum" (French: Je pense, donc je suis; I think, therefore I am)

In his theology, he insists on the absolute freedom of God's act of creation.

Wow Basel, you were quite the adventurer in your past life!

Ferdinand Magellan (c. 1480 – 27 April 1521) was a Portuguese explorer who organised the Spanish expedition to the East Indies from 1519 to 1522, resulting in the first circumnavigation of the Earth, completed by Juan Sebastián Elcano.

Born into a Portuguese noble family in around 1480, Magellan became a skilled sailor and naval officer and was eventually selected by King Charles I of Spain to search for a westward route to the Maluku Islands (the "Spice Islands"). Commanding a fleet of five vessels, he headed south through the Atlantic Ocean to Patagonia, passing through the Strait of Magellan into a body of water he named the "peaceful sea" (the modern Pacific Ocean). Despite a series of storms and mutinies, the expedition reached the Spice Islands in 1521 and returned home via the Indian Ocean to complete the first circuit of the globe. Magellan did not complete the entire voyage, as he was killed during the Battle of Mactan in the Philippines in 1521.

Magellan had already reached the Malay Archipelago in Southeast Asia on previous voyages traveling east (from 1505 to 1511-1512). By visiting this area again but now travelling west, Magellan achieved a nearly complete personal circumnavigation of the globe for the first time in history.

The Magellanic penguin is named after him, as he was the first European to note it. Magellan's navigational skills have also been acknowledged in the naming of objects associated with the stars, including the Magellanic Clouds, now known to be two nearby dwarf galaxies; the twin lunar craters of Magelhaens and Magelhaens A; and the Martian crater of Magelhaens.

Gotta do this! Wanna see what you come up with. :D

Seven for me.

Oh I love this one, it seems you would have fit very well into the Brown Ajah in your previous incarnation  :laugh:

Aldus Pius Manutius also known as Aldo Manuzio (ca. 1452 – February 6, 1515) was a Venetian humanist, scholar, educator, who became a printer and publisher when he helped found the Aldine Press in Venice, 1495.

Manutius "attempted to make classical Greek works accessible which before him had never been published in their original language". His publishing legacy includes the distinctions of inventing the first italic type, establishing the modern use of the semicolon, developing the modern appearance of the comma, and popularizing the libelli portatiles, or portable little (specifically) classic books: small-format volumes that could be easily carried and read anywhere.

Manutius died in 1515, "with his death the importance of Italy as a seminal and dynamic force in printing came to an end"

Manutius dreamed of a trilingual Bible but never saw if come to fruition.

18 please !

Oooh a very talented man in a previous life you were!

Thomas Bradwardine (c. 1300 – 26 August 1349) was an English cleric, scholar, mathematician, physicist, courtier and, very briefly, Archbishop of Canterbury. As a celebrated scholastic philosopher and doctor of theology, he is often called Doctor Profundus, (medieval epithet, meaning "the Profound Doctor").

Bradwardine went to receive confirmation from Pope Clement VI at Avignon, but on his return he died of the plague at Rochester on 26 August 1349, forty days after his consecration. He was buried at Canterbury.

What a cool title, DOCTOR PROFUNDUS

WOOHOO

tenor.gif

Gotta do this! Wanna see what you come up with. :D

Seven for me.

Oh I love this one, it seems you would have fit very well into the Brown Ajah in your previous incarnation  :laugh:

Aldus Pius Manutius also known as Aldo Manuzio (ca. 1452 – February 6, 1515) was a Venetian humanist, scholar, educator, who became a printer and publisher when he helped found the Aldine Press in Venice, 1495.

Manutius "attempted to make classical Greek works accessible which before him had never been published in their original language". His publishing legacy includes the distinctions of inventing the first italic type, establishing the modern use of the semicolon, developing the modern appearance of the comma, and popularizing the libelli portatiles, or portable little (specifically) classic books: small-format volumes that could be easily carried and read anywhere.

Manutius died in 1515, "with his death the importance of Italy as a seminal and dynamic force in printing came to an end"

Manutius dreamed of a trilingual Bible but never saw if come to fruition.

Man. Honestly, I am astonished. I never figured Manutius was practically the inventor of the italicized font type, and gave way to what we know now as the comma and semicolon. Very interesting to say the least. :D

Dante. Oh yeah, I can see that.

You mean "Hell yeah," don't you? :wink:

I laughed out loud, then did a face palm, and am still sitting here chuckling to myself. Good one :P

LoL yeah same!

I'll go with number 1 (one), please :)

Wow, I knew you'd be a badass

Constantine XI Dragases Palaiologos, (8 February 1405 – 29 May 1453) was the last reigning Byzantine Emperor, reigning as a member of the Palaiologos dynasty from 1449 to his death in battle at the fall of Constantinople. Following his death, he became a legendary figure in Greek folklore as the "Marble Emperor" who would awaken and recover the Empire and Constantinople from the Ottomans. His death marked the end of the Roman Empire, which had continued in the East for 977 years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

Constantine died the day the city fell, 29 May 1453. There were no known surviving eyewitnesses to the death of the Emperor and none of his entourage survived to offer any credible account of his death. According to Michael Critobulus (writing later in Mehmed's service) he remarked, "The city is fallen and I am still alive." Then he tore off his imperial ornaments so as to let nothing distinguish him from any other soldier and led his remaining soldiers into a last charge where he was killed.

LOL! Loving it :)

I think I might even go again, because this is super interesting! Also, I have multiple personalities so must have had multiple past lives too :biggrin:

Well well well, what have we here....AH HA.

Your past life is revealed....

Francis Bacon, (22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626) was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, and author. He served both as Attorney General and as Lord Chancellor of England. After his death, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.

Bacon has been called the father of empiricism. His works argued for the possibility of scientific knowledge based only upon inductive reasoning and careful observation of events in nature. Most importantly, he argued this could be achieved by use of a sceptical and methodical approach whereby scientists aim to avoid misleading themselves. While his own practical ideas about such a method, the Baconian method, did not have a long lasting influence, the general idea of the importance and possibility of a sceptical methodology makes Bacon the father of scientific method. This marked a new turn in the rhetorical and theoretical framework for science, the practical details of which are still central in debates about science and methodology today.

Bacon was generally neglected at court by Queen Elizabeth, but after the accession of King James I in 1603, Bacon was knighted. Bacon died of pneumonia at 65 years of age, with one account stating that he had contracted the condition while studying the effects of freezing on the preservation of meat. He is buried at St Michael's Church, St Albans, Hertfordshire.

The father of the scientific method?! Be still my science loving heart :wub:

Wow! Thank you.