DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah History Week - Past Lives Pavilion

blank

oooh something a bit different for you lovely Cindy!

John Koukouzelis or Jan Kukuzeli (c. 1280 – c. 1360) was an Albanian-Bulgarian medieval Orthodox Christian composer, singer and reformer of Orthodox Church music. Koukouzelis' last name is allegedly derived from the Greek word for broad beans and a Slavic word for cabbage.

Koukouzelis is regarded as the most influential figure in the music of his period. He was later recognized as a saint by the Eastern Orthodox Church, his feast day being on 1 October. He is known as Saint John Koukouzelis.

A musical school in his native Durrës bears his name. Kukuzel Cove in Livingston Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica is named after Koukouzelis, using the Slavic form of his name.

Loving the fact abour the broad bean/cabbage last name :laugh: 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 please!

Wow, you were very impressive in a past life Dar!

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni (6 March 1475 – 18 February 1564) was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect, and poet of the High Renaissance born in the Republic of Florence, who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western art. Considered to be the greatest living artist during his lifetime, he has since been described as one of the greatest artists of all time. Despite making few forays beyond the arts, his versatility in the disciplines he took up was of such a high order that he is often considered a contender for the title of the archetypal Renaissance man, along with his rival and fellow Florentine Medici client, Leonardo da Vinci.

A number of Michelangelo's works of painting, sculpture, and architecture rank among the most famous in existence. His output in every field of interest was prodigious; given the sheer volume of surviving correspondence, sketches, and reminiscences taken into account, he is the best-documented artist of the 16th century.

He sculpted two of his best-known works, the Pietà and David, before the age of thirty. Despite holding a low opinion of painting, Michelangelo also created two of the most influential frescoes in the history of Western art: the scenes from Genesis on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, and The Last Judgment on its altar wall. As an architect, Michelangelo pioneered the Mannerist style at the Laurentian Library. At the age of 74, he succeeded Antonio da Sangallo the Younger as the architect of St. Peter's Basilica. Michelangelo transformed the plan so that the western end was finished to his design, as was the dome, with some modification, after his death.

Michelangelo was unique as the first Western artist whose biography was published while he was alive

In his lifetime, the master was often called Il Divino ("the divine one"). One of the qualities most admired by his contemporaries was his terribilità, a sense of awe-inspiring grandeur. The attempts by subsequent artists to imitate. Michelangelo's impassioned and highly personal style resulted in Mannerism, the next major movement in Western art after the High Renaissance.

"awe-inspiring grandeur", can't ask for more than that Il Divino!

Just to go from Alpha to Omega, may I have number 50, please? *grins*

Well, let me see....I can only guess it'll be another strong personality  :tongue:

Aaaaand I was right, wow...was I right.

.Elizabeth I (7 September 1533 – 24 March 1603)[1] was Queen of England and Ireland from 17 November 1558 until her death. Sometimes called The Virgin Queen, Gloriana or Good Queen Bess, the childless Elizabeth was the last monarch of the House of Tudor.

Elizabeth was the daughter of Henry VIII of England and Anne Boleyn, his second wife, who was executed two-and-a-half years after Elizabeth's birth. Anne's marriage to Henry VIII was annulled, and Elizabeth was declared illegitimate. Her half-brother, Edward VI of England, ruled until his death in 1553, bequeathing the crown to Lady Jane Grey and ignoring the claims of his two half-sisters, Elizabeth and the Roman Catholic Mary, in spite of statute law to the contrary. Edward's will was set aside and Mary became queen, deposing Lady Jane Grey. During Mary's reign, Elizabeth was imprisoned for nearly a year on suspicion of supporting Protestant rebels.

In 1558, Elizabeth succeeded her half-sister to the throne and set out to rule by good counsel. One of her first actions as queen was the establishment of an English Protestant church, of which she became the Supreme Governor. This Elizabethan Religious Settlement was to evolve into the Church of England. It was expected that Elizabeth would marry and produce an heir to continue the Tudor line. She never did, despite numerous courtships. As she grew older, Elizabeth became famous for her virginity. A cult grew around her which was celebrated in the portraits, pageants, and literature of the day.

In government, Elizabeth was more moderate than her father and half-siblings had been. One of her mottoes was "video et taceo" ("I see but say nothing"). In religion, she was relatively tolerant and avoided systematic persecution. After the pope declared her illegitimate in 1570 and released her subjects from obedience to her, several conspiracies threatened her life, all of which were defeated with the help of her ministers' secret service. Elizabeth was cautious in foreign affairs, manoeuvring between the major powers of France and Spain. By the mid-1580s, England could no longer avoid war with Spain. England's defeat of the Spanish Armada in 1588 associated Elizabeth with one of the greatest military victories in English history.

Elizabeth's reign is known as the Elizabethan era. The period is famous for the flourishing of English drama, led by playwrights such as William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe, and for the seafaring prowess of English adventurers such as Francis Drake. Some historians depict Elizabeth as a short-tempered, sometimes indecisive ruler, who enjoyed more than her share of luck. Elizabeth is acknowledged as a charismatic performer and a dogged survivor in an era when government was ramshackle and limited, and when monarchs in neighbouring countries faced internal problems that jeopardised their thrones. Such was the case with Elizabeth's rival, Mary, Queen of Scots, whom she imprisoned in 1568 and had executed in 1587. After the short reigns of Elizabeth's half-siblings, her 44 years on the throne provided welcome stability for the kingdom and helped forge a sense of national identity.

2!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the very last one of our event!!!!

Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1343 – 25 October 1400), known as the Father of English literature, is widely considered the greatest English poet of the Middle Ages. He was the first poet to be buried in Poets' Corner of Westminster Abbey.

While he achieved fame during his lifetime as an author, philosopher, and astronomer, composing a scientific treatise on the astrolabefor his ten-year-old son Lewis, Chaucer also maintained an active career in the civil service as a bureaucrat, courtier and diplomat. Among his many works are The Book of the Duchess, The House of Fame, The Legend of Good Women and Troilus and Criseyde. He is best known today for The Canterbury Tales.

Chaucer's work was crucial in legitimizing the literary use of the Middle English vernacular at a time when the dominant literary languages in England were French and Latin.

What a mysterious past life you led! 

I see you gallivanting around cobbled streets....

Jean Buridan[/size] ([/size]c. 1295 – 1363) was a [/size]French[/size] [/size]priest[/size] who sowed the seeds of the [/size]Copernican revolution[/size] in Europe.[/size] [/size]He developed the concept of [/size]impetus[/size], the first step toward the modern concept of [/size]inertia[/size], and an important development in the [/size]history of medieval science[/size]. His name is most familiar through the [/size]thought experiment[/size] known as [/size]Buridan's ass[/size] (a thought experiment which does not appear in his extant writings).[/size]

Apocryphal stories abound about his reputed amorous affairs and adventures which are enough to show that he enjoyed a reputation as a glamorous and mysterious figure in Paris life. In particular, a rumour held that he was sentenced to be thrown in a sack into the River [/size]Seine[/size], but was ultimately saved through the ingenuity of a student. [/size]Buridan also seems to have had an unusual facility for attracting academic funding which suggests that he was indeed a charismatic figure.[/size]

I'm enjoying the idea of you being a charismatic charmer who is only put up with because of strokes of genius in between adventures :laugh: [/size]

I never got mine. :(

oh my goodness, I saw this this morning before work and felt guilty all day that I accidentally left you out Ryrin! I'm glad I didn't  :laugh:

Thanks Cindy!

Edited by blank

• Elgee locked this topic