DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How long have you been reading WoT?

I've been reading WoT since I was about 11 or 12. That was back in '92. I think "The Shadow Rising" had just come out in hard back, so "The Fires of Heavan" was the first book I had to wait for. I remember my mom surprising me when I was 15 or 16 with "A Crown of Swords" and then being pissed because the first chapter was a rehash of Dumai's Wells. Usually I like or at least understand Jordan's decisions as a writer, but that one still baffles and annoys me.

Recently, one of my students has started reading WoT. He's still at the VERY begining. He reads slow, especially since I keep making him go back and read "the boring parts". Its so interesting to watch him plow through. I've been reading for so long, the books have all blurred together for me. But the other day, he comes up to my desk at school at says "Ms. Liang, I have a question. Is Rand the Dragon?" When I told him yes, he was so excited about figuring it out by himself. How can you not love that? Its just awesome seeing newer people read the series.

Soooo... When did you start reading? Why did you pick it up? How many times have you reread?

well, I started reading WoT for about 7 or 8 years ago. the first book I waited for I think was Winters heart. but that was long after I started reading the series. the happiest day of my life was when a friend came to me and told me Winters Heart was already in the stores.. I started reading them cause I thought they looked interesting. I liked the cover art on the EotW, and I have read them ever since, even though the cover-art is not so good anymore. hehe. I have not counted how many times I have read them over, but its alot. I usually read my favourite chapters many times, and when I do that I usually read the rest as well.. hehe.. best books in the world..

Lets see

I started the WoT series a month before the Christmas of 2004

And Im done all the books that have come out

A friend lent me the book saying they were good, I didnt start them for a while, becasue of work load, and the name, Eye of the World didnt really appeal to me...

But I started...

Then I couldnt stop

Now look where i am

*looks around DM*

See? :D

Surrounded by wonderful people

I can't quite remember when I started reading them. It was when Winter's Heart had just come out I believe. Interestingly enough, I did it because my brother came home one day a long time ago with two really huge books. I read one and loved it, but dismissed the other one. Then, years later, I decided if he was right once, maybe he could be right twice. (I must add that my brother never reads, he only brought the books home for me to read). So that's when i looked up wheel of time and fell in love with the books.

I read them in 2003. I thought it would take me so long to read them that by the time I finished the series would be over because I hate waiting! Hmmm i read them in less than 4 months and devouring the last 2 publications and been salivating for more ever since!

My husband began in 1990 and then he pushed his aweful addiction onto me in 1997. Thank the light.

*G*

I used to read from morning to ... wee mornings. Now I have his last book and can't seem to get past the Middle of it. But it's only because I am so busy in RL.

My husband introduced the series to me in 2002. It took me about 6 months before I actually started really reading them, but after that I was hooked. I've reread the entire series 5 times now, and I'm currently on the Shadow Rising on my 6th reread. :P

I usually go through them, then Harry Potter, the Resident Evil novel series, then back to the WoT again. I try to read other series, but I haven't found anything I like as much yet.

If I have my dates correct, I believe I started in the summer of 2003, when I was 16. I had just finished reading The Elenium and The Tamuli series by David Eddings (these were the series that got me hooked on fantasy) and I wanted something new to read. I walked into my local bookshop and saw the cover of tEotW, and liked to look of it! I picked it up and read the blurb, and thought the storyline sounded good!

At the time, I didn't realise there were another 9 books in the series, but having enjoyed reading the book, I didn't care I had another 9 books to go through! So, for the next year or so, in between other books and actually finding the other WoT books in the small town I live in, I finished the series, enjoying every moment of it! During the year, I stumbled across DM to fuel my WoT addiction, and I am so glad I did!

I waited for New Spring to come out into paperback, and have read that as well. I am now waiting for Knife of Dreams to come into paperback here in the UK, but have read KoD, hiding in a corner of the bookshop near my university reading the hardback version so I wasn't caught by the staff!

I haven't had a major re-read, as I have so many other books to read, but if I am looking for something (especially for the Band of the Red Hand), I do dip in now and then.

I started when I was about 15, which makes it late '99. I read the first two books in Norwegian, then once I finished tGH they couldn't get tDR in Norwegian at my library. But my friend (who sort of made me read the books in the first place) had them, and I started borrowing from him. tDR was actually the first book I read in English, and after that I think I can count on one hand the books I've read in Norwegian. Funny how that works sometimes.

I bought From the Two Rivers in August 2003 (Good Ol'Young Adults Section eh? ;)) I was hooked instantly and finished them up around March 2004 which is around when I joined DM. I was hooked on fantasty from then on and now hang out in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Section of my local book shop as opposed to Young Adult :p I've started a reread but I'm half way through TGH :)

I've been reading since 96, I think. The first book I had to wait for was Crown of Swords.

Shea and I just introduced his cousin to the series since Katrina hit and it was funny to have her come up and ask about this event and I'd have to come ask Shea which book it was in and a few other things cause I don't remember.

I've reread the first 5 books three or four times but only read the rest once (well except for Crossroads of Twilight which I'm still in the middle of and Knife of Dreams which is sitting on my desk waiting for CoT to finish)

Mat

hey,

I am quite a newbie actually, i've only started reading WOT since last year september.

My best friend bought me the first boook for my birthday because she new I was looking for something new to read (I usually read horror and thriller)

She knew I really loved LOTR and just accidentally picked up WOT and bought it.

But i've been hooked ever since!!! :lol:

Guest Majsju

Hmmm *scratches head*

I think I picked it up back in 92-93. I was searching the fantasy section at my library for a completely different look, when my eyes fell upon The Eye Of The World. Since I couldn't find the book I was looking for, I decided to give it a try.

And since then I've been an addict.

I'm halfway through KOD atm. Thinkt it's the 4th or 5th time I'm rereading it, though 2 of those times have been a quick skimming, just to pick up details. The oldest books I must have read at least 10 times by now...

I think I read it when The Eye of The World came out. I had just finished Edding's Malorean, and was kinda looking for something to fill in the vacuum :). By that time 'prophecies' as an ingredient in the storyline was a high priority, and Eye of The World literally fit like a glove. Another thing that I liked was that WoT defined its magic properly which is also a big issue with me (and a reason LOTR doesn't match up to WOT IMHO. The movies were good but to date I don't quite understand Gandalf's magic. Probably need to read the books after all :wink: )

Problem was the sickening wait for the continuation :p. Not to mention forgetting more than half of the characters :P . For some reason rereading the whole thing didn't quite appeal. But I guess I have to some time...

Sorry, sometimes I'm a windbag :oops:

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I started reading them back in the summer of 2001 when there was this boy I really liked, and I didn't know how to start a conversation with him. A mutual friend told me he liked these books, and so I read Book 1, and then next thing I knew, 5 days later I completed Book 4.

I guess reading the books were the ticket, because we have been married over a year now, and we have a 14 week old little girl!!! :P :P :P

awsome story, I know what you mean about it being a good thing to start conversations with. I've started them with like LOTR once, you see there this girl and shes really obsessed with LOTR, and.....yeah :lol: well actually I do know a girl that really likes it, and is really does a lot of this same stuff we do, except with LOTR. But I reeeaaallly doubt it will go that far.

Archived