DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Typo's and Error's

Luckers

I don't see how that matters. So what if someone comes off as smug? Did they point out a real error? Great. That's the point of this thread.

I'm a scientist so I like to understand the why and how of things. Are they smug because they are proud if their reading comprehension skills? Are they happy that BS/TeamJ made mistakes? If it is the latter, is it because they view themselves as superior or because it gives justification for their prior opinions of BS and his books?

If the way things are written do not matter as long as the information is provided then why were people so upset with how Mat was portrayed in the books, amongst other issues?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, cut it out. This is totally off topic and baiting. This is not discussion on people, it's a typo thread, not a psychology course. If you have an issue with something, report it to the moderators. 

If the problem is something that doesn't violate the CoC, don't derail threads with it. Take it up with whoever it is via PM. 

Any further derailment will be removed. 

Rand is not any stronger than Lews Therin was. Nor is he any stronger than Moridin.

What do you mean Terez?!?! Didn't you see that raging TEMPEST of a power display at Maradon, where Rand channeled a STORM of LIGHT!!! I mean it's not like he had an item of power to help him or anyth...errr wait.
This does raise another good question. Just how strong IS that fat man angreal he had? Far as I know, they kept calling it an angreal and not a s'angreal.

Also, at one point Pevara remarks that it "just isn't fair" how Androl can sense her channeling but she can't sense his. But then throughout the last battle, the Aes Sedai all seem to be operating under the theory (and Egwene remarks on it at one point, though I forget when and where I admit) that men can't sense them. Huh?

Men can tell when women are holding Saidar, they get Goose bumps; they cannot tell that they channeling though, or in which direction they are.

I'm not sure if this is actually an erroror just something that I lack further info about, but in tDR Moraine implies that Lan's dreams are protected from Ba'alzamon's influence by the Warder bond when she is telling Perrin why she can't protect his dreams from wolves. Now, in aMoL, we see Suian's Warder have his dreams influenced. How? Did Hessalam know things about TAR and the Warder protections that Moridin/Ishy doesn't know? (Doesn't make sense when you think about the fact that the current Age is brand new to Graendal where as Ishamael started the Black Ajah 2000 years ago).The way Moraine says it, the protection is an inherent part of the Warder bond, so why weren't either Gareth or Suian alerted when his dreams were messed with? Comes across as an error, but like i said might just be lacking info. I would be interested in any info others can share on subject.

i skimmed the first 4 pages and didn't see this mentioned. i'll quote it properly with a page number when i get home.

somewhere between Chapter 28 and 30 Logain disobeys Mats orders and decided to track down the seasl as ordered by Rand. in this he orders his Ashman to set off in pre-set groups of 5 and mentions 2 men forming a cirlce with 1 woman and the other 2 supplying backup.

so far as i know, there cannot be more men then women in a circle.

apologies if this has been pointed out.

I am not sure this is an error, feel free to convince me and shatter my argument.

In Chapter 1 Eastward the Wind Blew, page 80.    We see Perrin gave Balwer's service to Rand.  What bothers me is how Rand expects Balwer to have all this information.  Perrin has not been near Rand or Elayne long enough to really have intrgated himself for this.   I do not know, it just struck me as wrong, and took me out of the book while saying *What?*. 

Anyways comments?

I'm not sure if this is actually an erroror just something that I lack further info about, but in tDR Moraine implies that Lan's dreams are protected from Ba'alzamon's influence by the Warder bond when she is telling Perrin why she can't protect his dreams from wolves. Now, in aMoL, we see Suian's Warder have his dreams influenced. How? Did Hessalam know things about TAR and the Warder protections that Moridin/Ishy doesn't know? (Doesn't make sense when you think about the fact that the current Age is brand new to Graendal where as Ishamael started the Black Ajah 2000 years ago).The way Moraine says it, the protection is an inherent part of the Warder bond, so why weren't either Gareth or Suian alerted when his dreams were messed with? Comes across as an error, but like i said might just be lacking info. I would be interested in any info others can share on subject.

Yeah, I thought Bryne would end up being the only one not affected because of the warding, but then they never mentioned it.

The most glaring error for me was: "Birgitte reached beneath her shirt and removed the foxhead medallion she wore, one of the three imperfect copies Elayne had made. Mat had the original and a copy. Mellar had escaped with the other copy." (p. 230) Elayne made three foxhead copies originally, one of which Mellar has and two that Mat intended to give to Olver and Tuon. But Elayne later made two more copies in the shape of a rose; the one she gave to Birgitte and one for herself.

I was disappointed Dobraine was forgotten as well.

On double bonding: If Androl bonded Pevara, shouldn't she be required
to obey him? Or are there different types of bonds? Or does double
bonding cancel out that effect?

I'm not too far into the book, but this really bothered me,

Page 108:  Aviendha said "......    Do I have toh?"   

An Aiel would never ask if they had toh, much less a former Far Dareis Mai . 

At least one other time an Aiel has asked a wetlander if they have toh:

Mangin shook his head slightly. "I saw that he deserved to die, so I killed him." He said it
conversationally; he saw the drains needed cleaning, so he cleaned them. "But you have said we cannot kill the
oathbreakers except in battle, or if they attack us. Do I have toh toward you now?"

--Chapter 17 "The Wheel of a Life", LOC

The whole asking about toh thing is just another quirk of the system.  It appears that if they should/should not is entirely situational, and it is probably a thing of pride to not HAVE to ask normally, but Aviendha was in a new situation and was uncertain as to how to act, so asking was appropriate (as needing to be told has been said to be far worse).

At least one other time an Aiel has asked a wetlander if they have toh:

Mangin shook his head slightly. "I saw that he deserved to die, so I killed him." He said it

conversationally; he saw the drains needed cleaning, so he cleaned them. "But you have said we cannot kill the

oathbreakers except in battle, or if they attack us. Do I have toh toward you now?"

--Chapter 17 "The Wheel of a Life", LOC

And it should be noted that in ToM (at least, I reread it recently), people declare their toh as is traditional a few times. I don't find it unbelievable that they would ask when their toh-having status is unclear to them due to different customs. We've seen Jordan do the same.

As for Bryne's dreams being influenced, Lanfear implies that it was possible for her to break Rand's wards. I assume the Warder dream-warding is something that can be bypassed by someone with some skill in Dreaming. It's protection, but it's not invulnerable.

• 3 months later...
well, now that I'm a hobo I only had the pirated audiobook version to listen to, so I really only heard a couple of weird spots and I'm not sure if they happen in the realbook versions or not. I believe they were most likely misspeaks by Michael Kramer.

somebody already mentioned the one about Rand being mentioned in the beginning of ch. 45 in a scene where he was not

at some point, I think it's Logain who is reflecting about one power use only versus also learning the sword. he thinks something along the lines of, one or the other is not necessary "despite what TAM said" (or something, that's not exact) and I thought maybe he meant to say TAIM, not Tam. at least, I can't recall Tam ever talking to or training Logain or the Asha'man...though that's not saying much with my memory. anybody else have the audiobook version, know what I'm talking about?

at one point somebody slays a trolloc, Michael Kramer says "AT its innards" and I believe he meant "AS its innards" (or vice versa, I can't find this spot anymore sorry, I guess that's not very helpful)

at first I thought it was a mistake when they mentioned that one of the armies was beginning to FOUNDER...I thought they meant "flounder", but then I checked right before I embarrassed myself and actually yes, founder can also mean flounder (kind of)

and this is completely off topic and belongs in another thread, I never caught why Min was so surprised at seeing Logain when he went to see her and Tuon at some point in the middle. I recall she always saw glory and stuff in his future previously in the series, like that he would be a great king or something. but then she gasped all of a sudden upon seeing him in the middle of this book, did that ever get explained?

and to the scientist yes, I am smug and I do feel...the right smarty when I find mistakes paid trained professionals let ride

what happened to my watermelon

Archived