DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Typo's and Error's

Luckers

Hello everyone. Newbie here and I apologize if this is not an error.

I know MoL could never have been perfect, yet for me it was a very satisfying conclusion. The one big continuity issue that still bothers me, days after finishing the book, is how did Faile end up at Merilor where Perrin finds her when the last we heard of her whe was fleeing Trollocs in Shayol Gul. Is this a huge mistake or am I missing something? It very clearly says Merrilor on page 902 and that is where Perrin has fallen asleep after coming from Shayol Ghul through a gateway and he recognizes it as being Merrilor in his wolf dream.

Thanks!

Mark

Welcome to DM! 

This is not an error, although I admit that I was a bit confused myself when I first read it, and had to go back and have a look a second time. 

If you go back to and look at the Faile and Olver PoV's, when they are taken prisoner and betrayed by Aravine, they actually go through a gateway to the FoM into a Trolloc camp. 

Thanks for helping clear that up for me!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some problems I encountered and had the sense to write down at the time, all of them from the TOR Hardcover.

Page 289.

About two thirds of the way down the page a new sentence starts: "M'Hael was finally sent new women..." This might not be an error but I think it should read "has", not "was".

Page 341.

Just above the middle of the page Mat says "I saw it when last he and I last met".

Page 342.

Pretty high up on the page Tuon says "I would have the all of the women this side of the Aryth Ocean..."

Page 696.

About two thirds down the page it says "They wrapped him in the Air" Not sure I´ve ever seen that as a definite article. Should just be "They wrapped him in Air".

Page 877.

Middle of the page it says "Those Aiel weapons did not even seem to scratch. it." One punctuation mark too much.

I honestly don´t know how some of these can survive to actual print with so much revision going on, but there it is.

Agitel, on 18 Jan 2013 - 15:11, said:
James Tham, on 14 Jan 2013 - 21:52, said:Sort of recall that channelling near the bore is dangerous (according to Mog & Demandred, I think it included travelling directly there as well), yet Rand, Nyn & Moiraine were channelling near it. Can't remember an explaination for it.
I believe it was simply because the DO didn't allow it of them and would punish them for it.

And Rand had the deerhorn knife, so the DO didn't know he was there until Rand wanted him to.

James Tham, on 14 Jan 2013 - 21:52, said:Sort of recall that channelling near the bore is dangerous (according to Mog & Demandred, I think it included travelling directly there as well), yet Rand, Nyn & Moiraine were channelling near it. Can't remember an explaination for it.

I believe it was simply because the DO didn't allow it of them and would punish them for it.

And Rand had the deerhorn knife, so the DO didn't know he was there until Rand wanted him to.

Was the deerhorn knife foreshadowed? Or referenced before aMoL?

Also, was this the first time we see bonded characters able to speak to each other via the bond? Have they always been able to do that? My recollection was that they could only sense emotions or feelings. Or was it due to it being a double-bond?

Was the deerhorn knife foreshadowed? Or referenced before aMoL?

Also, was this the first time we see bonded characters able to speak to each other via the bond? Have they always been able to do that? My recollection was that they could only sense emotions or feelings. Or was it due to it being a double-bond?

Pretty sure that the deerhorn knife is referenced when Aviendha and Elayne are sorting throught the an'greal and ter'angreal from the Kins warehouse (they also found the kindle ter'angreal that Eg is using to do research).

You're right prior to the double bond they could only sense feelings - the double bond seems to be an escallation of Elaynes/Birgettes bond, where emotion (and drunkness) passes between them.

Another thing that bugged me was the emphasis placed in the prologue of metal going bad and completely rusted in Lord Jarid Sarand's camp.  They sort of implied that this was the case because of the Dark One's touch on the world.  However, this never really comes back into play and it appears most of the Last Battle is fought with normal swords and armor (unless they are all Power-wrought).  Also, could this have just been a phenomenon that affected that camp only?

Another thing that bugged me was the emphasis placed in the prologue of metal going bad and completely rusted in Lord Jarid Sarand's camp.  They sort of implied that this was the case because of the Dark One's touch on the world.  However, this never really comes back into play and it appears most of the Last Battle is fought with normal swords and armor (unless they are all Power-wrought).  Also, could this have just been a phenomenon that affected that camp only?

It's just a bubble of evil, there was a lot of them in the books.

This made no sense to me:

Faile takes the Horn out of the chest and hides it. How did the "thieves" end up with the Horn if they were looking for tobacco in the chest?

Vanin clearly says he thought she buried the tobacco.

For anybody interested in the final analysis, here is the timeline.

Or perhaps I should say a timeline. There is no way of properly fixing any event in AMOL as the wording of crucial timestamps is too vague.

There are two main problems.

One is the timing of the eclipse and the battles which reference it - there is a 'hole' spanning 9 days. (As mentioned already in this thread)

The other, probably connected, is Perrin's fight with Slayer, starting ch 33, which lasts 10 days. Now, even accounting for the fact that it happens in TAR, I refuse to believe that it lasted more than one day, even with Perrin losing consciousness in the sequence. (When Master Luhlan finds Perrin he makes a point of saying that no one survives long with that sort of wound). I suspect this is connected to the eclipse 'hole'

So some geography errors mentioned over at TL. Starting to look like AMoL might even match the mess that was ToM from a mistake and plot hole stand point. Dav and Dom both usually have solid posts. Thought others would be interested.

Originally Posted by Davian93
                    viewpost.gif

Okay, so here's a bothersome error. Now, the battle at Merrilor took place right next to the Mora River (a tributary of the Erinin that forms the border of Arafel & Shienar). Now there's an easily fordable section right there by the battlfield. Problem: The AS in TGH somehow sailed four boats down through that very

ford when they left Fal Dara to go to Tar Valon. If there's a ford like that, there's zero chance of those boats being able to get that far up river. Geography fail.

Dom   
Wow... you're right.

It's one of many, and easy to avoid as Brandon just had to move the heights and the ford south, on the Erinin (the eastern affluent of the Erinin, there's a western one as well) instead of the Mora. It's fordable area is well north, beyond Medo. The rest of river, up to its source, is not accessible to ships and it's where the road to Arafel is,
that's why Siuan's ships stopped at Medo and the delegation rode through woods to Fal Dara.

And how is a company of masons, without the OP to help, was supposed to build briges over a river as wide as the Erinin in a few days. Closer to the bank there are mudflats, so around Cairhien/Andor the river isn't as deep it is north and south, but it's still not fordable, for bridges to be built so easily without modern resources. Again, easy to avoid, Brandon just had to use barges/ferries instead... but wait... oh yeah.. of course there's no way the Shadowspawn could cross the Erinin, no more
than those that crossed it south to come take Elayne in a pincer (those from the north could easily have come through the PS at Kinslayer dagger).. unless Dreadlords made bridges of Air. The whole thing is a complete mess.

Then, in TOM the minuscule village of Dorlan (a few buildings, dixit RJ) gets described as a town, a city and a village in different chapters. To top it, Brandon moved it from the eastern bank (from which the AS reached it from Dumai's Wells) to the western bank, to have Gawyn "ride to the rebel camp". *sight*.

There were also gross errors with the layout of Caemlyn. The wide boulevards etc. are in the New City, and Old Caemlyn is a labyrinth of
very narrow streets laid out around a hill. The only open area is the Queen's Plaza on the summit, facing the palace. Brandon inverted it, making Talmanes fight on wide streets near the palace, and on narrow ones in the New City. rolleyes.gif

I haven't checked yet if he put the Waygate in the right area of the city.

In TGS Mat traveled in mountainous country on a broken road about 3 times faster than the the best time the Band could make on the good road from Cairhien to Tear.

Another "geographic fail" in AMOL is that he got Lan stay close to the Mora. First, he placed its source much to far north. Then, he completely forgot the string of forts guarding the Blight, them he forgot the Mora is in a valley, surrounded by high hills/low mountains. There's no way Lan could retreat following the bank of the Mora without
placing his army between Shadowspawn and hills/mountains, but Brandon conveniently turned the area into a plain. Let's not even mention the fact that between Medo and Fal Dara, it's supposed to be Woods.

Another geographic fail: Elayne gives the order to burn several cities in Shienar which were in the path of the Trollocs as Lan retreated, incl. Medo, Ankor Dal and Fal Moran. That's not a list of the cities in the Trollocs's path, it's just a lazy list of known cities of Shienar... Fal Moran and Ankor Dal were nowhere in the path of the Shadowspawn, if as described they followed Lan's army, and Lan was staying close to the Mora as he retreated east and south!

ch40, Jur Grady section, first line fourth paragraph, page 827, hard cover tor edition, last line reads:

Well, if he was a genius, why had he had sent five hundred simple folk"

Also, ch. 42 p 837, towards the bottom, paragraph is discussing lightning freezing when it strikes the ground.

Lighting crashed, then froze to the ground.

I found two more upon a re-read:

at the very end of chapter 4, right before everything crashes down upon Pevara and co., the PoV shifts for one paragraph from Pevara to Androl, detailing how he's "almost climbed that wall", or something similar. Then the PoV shifts back to Pevara. (I suppose the argument could be made that this was a type of double-bond mind-meld/thought sending, but it didn't read that way.)

Also at various points in the latter half of the book the "Mirror of Mists" weave was referred to as the "Mask of Mirrors".  I guess all of Brandon's WoT books are early printings.  :wink:

I honestly cannot recall any of your posts do unlikely. It is not Judy this thread but others as well. There are many posts where it seems like happy that BS and team Jordan made mistakes for what i can only assume is because it gives them further justification for disliking BS and the work he did. I dislike a lot if the thing that happened, but like a lot of the posters I would not aft smug about pointing out those errors or issues I had

I honestly cannot recall any of your posts do unlikely. It is not Judy this thread but others as well. There are many posts where it seems like happy that BS and team Jordan made mistakes for what i can only assume is because it gives them further justification for disliking BS and the work he did. I dislike a lot if the thing that happened, but like a lot of the posters I would not aft smug about pointing out those errors or issues I had

Dude, it's a typos and errata thread.  If you don't want to read about mistakes, don't read the thread. 

I'm pretty sure anyone here would be more than willing to trade any miniscule amount of gratification gleaned from pointing out errors in the book for a book without them.

And since they cannot make that trade with the Finns they are going to take every ounce of gratification they can?

Dude, it's a typos and errata thread. If you don't want to read about mistakes, don't read the thread.
1. I mentioned it is in other threads too

2. I mentioned some people and some posts

3. My point was "it is not what you say but the way you say it" which coincidentally was BS's biggest problem with Mat :)

Archived