A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Typo's and Error's

Luckers

This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"He cannot hear what we say?"

"No," Pevara said.

This would seem to be fairly unambiguously a lie.

That's only a double negative, used in everyday speech. I don't think it was intentional, hehehe. Upon first reading I didn't get your point, although I think I noticed it at the time. Androl had him bound with flows of air at the time, so he couldn't hear.

Very good point! "An Aes Sedai never lies, but the truth she speaks, may not be the truth you think you hear."!   :wink:

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"No," Pevara said.

Try this on for size:

“He cannot hear what we say?”

“No, [he can,]” Pevara said.

The wording of the question has a delightful ambiguity.

Was it error that Pevara and Androl could still communicate via thoughts while they where in a stedding?

Also, why did the evil channelers not immediately realize they were entering a stedding. I mean it was a super-cool scene, but somehow did not feel right.

Normal bond works fine in steddings, so double-bond working is not an error.

I agree with the other thing though. They are chasing the Dragon Reborn, you'd assume they'd be bursting with Power. They should have felt it when it's gone and take a few step back to escape the stedding pretty fast.

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"No," Pevara said.

>>>This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"No," Pevara said.

I had the same thought when I read that.

Read it a bit more carefully.  While people usually use "No" in that situation to indicate that someone cannot hear them in real life if you take it literally she is saying that he can indeed hear what they say, since she is denying the statement saying he can't.  (I think about this all the time when writing things, since I'm apt to fall into ambiguous yes/no situations like that if I'm not careful, and inclined to take the "unusual" one).  I agree it is something of a stretch to most people, but that really doesn't matter, it only needs to make sense to her, and it would to me so it is possible.  (In other words she bluntly told him they were letting him listen, and he didn't even notice).

Questions like that are very dangerous, especially when (intentionally) given to an Aes Sedai.  She almost certainly coached him on how to phrase the question so she could say the truth without giving them away.

On page 901 of the TOR version, during Perrin's wolf dream leaping, he goes from the Two Rivers to the Waste. Given that he was going back through his entire journey, I'm pretty sure they meant the Blight, referring to the end of tEotW. Plus, Perrin has never been to the Waste so...

BTW, what was Luckers' non-erroneous error? Not that I was heavily invested in the details and looking for this, but nothing jumped off the page to me.

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"No," Pevara said.

>>>This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"No," Pevara said.

This would seem to be fairly unambiguously a&nbs

p;lie.

I had the same thought when I read that.

Read it a bit more carefully.  While people usually use "No" in that situation to indicate that someone cannot hear them in real life if you take it literally she is saying that he can indeed hear what they say, since she is denying the statement saying he can't.  (I think about this all the time when writing things, since I'm apt to fall into ambiguous yes/no situations like that if I'm not careful, and inclined to take the "unusual" one).  I agree it is something of a stretch to most people, but that really doesn't matter, it only needs to make sense to her, and it would to me so it is possible.  (In other words she bluntly told him they were letting him listen, and he didn't even notice).

Questions like that are very dangerous, especially when (intentionally) given to an Aes Sedai.  She almost certainly coached him on how to phrase the question so she could say the truth without giving them away.

Good catch!!

Chapter 14, pg 289 Tor edition.

This is when Pevara and Androl are captured.

Androl? Pevara sent.  I have an idea.

What?

Androl goes on to cast doubt on Evin and eventually gets himself free.  We see that this was Androl's plan and Pevara had no idea about it with her line of

That.......can't possibly work

Chapter 37, page 681, TOR edition.

The scene is from Silviana's POV. Right after she asks Egwene for Gawyn's bond, the scene shifts without warning to Egwene's POV for one paragraph, then returns to Silviana's.

Not sure if this is a typo or an aubiobook mistake.  On page 907, near the very bottom. I was re-reading the ending while listening along with  the audio book....

Written: He'd seen his father's farm. And palaces. He'd seen a lot of palaces.

Audiobook: He'd seen his father's farm. And palaces. He'd seen a lot of places.

Not sure which is correct.  Personally I prefer the audiobook version as its not just a repetition of palaces, but it could easily be that Michael Kramer misread it.

On the whole, I really enjoyed the book and think it is one of the best in the series.  I would have loved an extra chapter set a few years in the future showing what all the surviving main characters were up to, but I can live without that.

I don't know so much that this is an "error" as such (maybe this needs to be posted somewhere else), but seems to me quite strange that Moridin's not yet dead body is just left unattended/unguarded.  Even given the fact that they assume he's not going to survive because Nyn and Flynn can't heal either of them, surely they have to be worried that some surviving Forsaken/dreadlord/darkfriend might sneak in and rescue him and know a way of reviving him.  And on top of that, when he does get up and leave, cadsuane looks at him from a distance and has a hunch that it's Rand and just lets him go.  Sure, she might think Rand deserves to be able to quietly wander off in his new body, but if there was any chance that she was letting one of the Forsaken get away, surely she would have done something?  Maybe if it was some unknown body he swapped with, but Nyn and Moirane know that it was Moridin and I doubt they came out of SG and when asked who the person was with Rand just said "Oh, I don't know... some guy."  So everyone knows who the second body is.

Just seems a massive stretch to me.

Not sure if it's a mistake or deliberate lie, but I noticed this in Ch.4

"So I was forced to go with Logain. He and that Dragon fellow, both are obviously farmers and wouldn’t recognize a highborn man.”

Logain is a minor noble and IIRC this was pretty well known, him being a famous False Dragon and all. But maybe Dobler the doofus didn't know and Emarin lied to him successfully...

Another one from Ch. 8:

"She (Elayne) hadn’t ruled Caemlyn for a hundred days, and already it was lost."

She took control of the city at the end of PoD, around six months before this point.

Not sure if it's a mistake or deliberate lie, but I noticed this in Ch.4

"So I was forced to go with Logain. He and that Dragon fellow, both are obviously farmers and wouldn’t recognize a highborn man.”

Logain is a minor noble and IIRC this was pretty well known, him being a famous False Dragon and all. But maybe Dobler the doofus didn't know and Emarin lied to him successfully...

Another one from Ch. 8:

"She (Elayne) hadn’t ruled Caemlyn for a hundred days, and already it was lost."

She took control of the city at the end of PoD, around six months before this point.

Elayne didn't put claim to her throne for a long time after entering Caemlyn.  And even then she still had to fight a civil war before being able to rule it.

Elayne didn't put claim to her throne for a long time after entering Caemlyn.  And even then she still had to fight a civil war before being able to rule it.

Elayne put a claim to the Throne immediately after she came back. More relevant to my point - she ruled Caemlyn from this point until the Trollocs came (we see in WH she was in total control of the city), which was a lot longer than 100 days.

Not sure if this is a mistake...? Chapter 24 starts in Tuon's POV, and the first references of Mat are either as "Mat" or "Matrim." On the top of page 436, she renames him Knotai, and in the first paragraph after that explaining what it means he's described as Mat. Then he's Knotai for most of the rest of the scene, since it's from Tuon's perspective I guess. But in one line on the next page it's "'Tuon...' Mat warned." Deliberate switch back to his own name since he's being familiar with her, or should that have been changed too?

is Braen Wood really 150 miles from the City...

WH, Ch. 27:

"Elayne found herself riding Fireheart slowly through the snows of Braem Wood, near enough fifty leagues north of Caemlyn"

And there are four miles to a league. Miles are a bit shorter in Randland, but not much.

Archived