DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Typo's and Error's

Luckers

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elayne didn't put claim to her throne for a long time after entering Caemlyn.  And even then she still had to fight a civil war before being able to rule it.

Elayne put a claim to the Throne immediately after she came back. More relevant to my point - she ruled Caemlyn from this point until the Trollocs came (we see in WH she was in total control of the city), which was a lot longer than 100 days.

She put in a claim, but she didn't secure her rule of the city until much later.  Based on the preliminary timelines for ToM, the 100 days remark would be correct if measured from the date that Elayne was crowned Queen of Andor.

Chapter 37, page 681, TOR edition.

The scene is from Silviana's POV. Right after she asks Egwene for Gawyn's bond, the scene shifts without warning to Egwene's POV for one paragraph, then returns to Silviana's.

I saw that last night.  Pretty weird.

I remember another mistake, though I don't have the books handy for page references.

During Gawyn's fight with Demandred, he accuses Demandred of "cheating" when he starts channeling at Gawyn.

Yet in the final scene of the prologue of aCoS, he kills an aiel after the fellow stumbles, and thinks to himself how he once thought that battles were like duels, all about honor and such, but now he knows better. You just kill the enemy however you can.

Either it's an error, or he's a hypocrite. :P

I don't understand how typos could occur.  I understand the book itself is too massive to go through with a fine tooth comb, but you could break it up.  So there are 49 chapters.  Have 49 different people read each chapter with the sole purpose of finding grammar/spelling errors.  This also serves the purpose of disrupting the flow of reading so that the reader does not get caught up in it.

I remember a high school teacher of mine once told me that when I am editing an essay, I should read it backwards (last paragraph first, 2nd last 2nd, and finally the 1st paragraph last).  At this particular level with hundreds of thousands of copies being printed (I read 500,000), there is no excuse or room for silly mistakes.

Also, since everything is written in word these days (I know Sanderson does, anyway), use the spell check.  For special names that aren't in the dictionary you could add them yourself so they don't show up as errors.  So the spell checker would see Fortuona as fine but flag Fortuna.  Same with Logain and Logan. 

I mean come on, us loyal fans spend quite a deal of money buying the hardcover and we are rewarded with simple typos?  It's a bigger slap in the face to hear that those who are buying the paperback later will have copies without these same error.

Something that bugged me, but it probably doesn't count as a mistake. Wouldn't it be difficult for the Aes Sedai to be on the Sharan front instead of the Trolloc front at the ford? I know they were sent there to counter the channelers, but Sharans aren't Shadowspawn and I doubt all of them were Darkfriends or Turned. Wouldn't the Oaths prevent them from doing much about the Sharan army?

Also, I may have imagined it considering no else has brought it up and I'm still searching for the quote, but I could swear I remember someone (either Mat or Perrin) thinking Rand had sent Min to the Seanchan shortly after the battle began. At the time, I thought of the daily Memory and she would show up as Tuon's new Truthspeaker. But later (Chapter 27) she ends up being a messenger for Bryne to Mat and meeting the Empress for the first time then. Anyone else notice this or was I reading way too fast and projecting my theories? Anyway, I'll keep searching.

Something that bugged me, but it probably doesn't count as a mistake. Wouldn't it be difficult for the Aes Sedai to be on the Sharan front instead of the Trolloc front at the ford? I know they were sent there to counter the channelers, but Sharans aren't Shadowspawn and I doubt all of them were Darkfriends or Turned. Wouldn't the Oaths prevent them from doing much about the Sharan army? Also, I may have imagined it considering no else has brought it up and I'm still searching for the quote, but I could swear I remember someone (either Mat or Perrin) thinking Rand had sent Min to the Seanchan shortly after the battle began. At the time, I thought of the daily Memory and she would show up as Tuon's new Truthspeaker. But later (Chapter 27) she ends up being a messenger for Bryne to Mat and meeting the Empress for the first time then. Anyone else notice this or was I reading way too fast and projecting my theories? Anyway, I'll keep searching.

i'm sure any Aes Sedai could make the argurment that someone fighting with trollocs in the last battle are dark friends.  It would not be a big leap

Aes Sedai are allowed to use the power in defense of their lives, their warders lives, or other Aes Sedai's lives.

Rand sent Min to Egwene.  From Egwene's camp she ended up being a messenger where she meets Tuon and becomes her Truthspeaker.

hello everybody,

so here are the logical errors that trouble me. I have not completed the book yet, I only have access to the audio book in my country so far, thus rereading is a bit difficult for me right now.

i tried to find out about the logical problems in other threads, but i kept stumbling over spoilers, so that was no help for me.

my problems are the following:

1. Pevara lying:

When captuerd in the black tower, Pevara and Andrell tried to trick the turned weak kid into spilling shadow secrets. During this process Pevara lied outright. She said something like: "No, he ca't hear us" to trick the kid into believing them.

This has been mentioned earlier in this thread also, I saw.

what is up with that?

2.Gateways and the dream spike.

When Perrins camps was locked in by a dream spike, gateways worked within the boarders of the dome, but not going outside or inside.

Perrin used this to escape the whitecloaks.

Now gateways don't work inside a dreamspike dome at all?

WHY?

3. Masking the ability to chanell

When Mogidien was captured by Nyneave and Elayne she taught them that it is possible to mak ones ability ot chanel with an inverted weave.

Using this, they were able to keep one of the forsaken hidden in a camp full of Aes Sedai for month.

Later they were able to disguise themselves and leave the Tarasin Palace undetected.

Why can Egwene not use this while in the middle of the Sharan Army? Or Leana for that matter?

WHY?

I would really appreciate some answers for this, if you have them!

Thank you!

The important thing is the exact phrasing of the question

She was asked, "He cannot hear us?"
Her answer was "no"

Consider if she had finished her sentence,

"No he cannot hear us".

The no and can't part actually act as a double negative and cancel each other out.

Compare that to if she said,

"Yes he cannot hear us".

2.  I don't know.  Though Androl was able to make a very small gateway as long as it was very close to where he was.

3.  The explanation used in the book was that Demandred would have been able to sense Egwene performing the weave to mask her ability.

Her answer was "no"

"No he cannot hear us".

The no and can't part actually act as a double negative and cancel each other out.

"Yes he cannot hear us".

2.  I don't know.  Though Androl was able to make a very small gateway as long as it was very close to where he was.

3.  The explanation used in the book was that Demandred would have been able to sense Egwene performing the weave to mask her ability.

thank you!

this one makes total sense.

Iguess i missed it for having to rely on the audio book. :-)

I think that earlier books (those before Rand's kidnapping by Elaida's embassy and Dumai Wells) established that shielding between man and woman is more than power dynamics.

Elayne and Egwene could not shield Rand, but thirteen linked weakest (Power-wise) women could always shield a man, regardless of power. Elaida's embassy was doing that in order to capture Rand.

Regardless, I think that I never found a channeler resist shielding by a strength of will alone.

I think that it has long been established that when people are being shielded, their "strength of will" is so fierce to prevent it but they are helpless anyways.

I simply took it that Egwene misunderstood how Taim managed to hold her shield off. Taim said later "She has a sa'angreal of great power. I almost had her, but the True Power failed me." I took it to understand that shielding a person off from the True Power is different/harder than shielding a person from the One Power.

I read through this thread, and no one mentioned this, so maybe I missed something but... Lan has the medallion, kills Demandred, and then is taken to be healed.  We don't hear about him or anyone else removing the medaillion.  We also don't ever hear about it getting back to Mat.

Lan may keep it but it's only one of the copies Mat had. I'd be more interested to know where his 2nd copy ended up.

Gateways and the dream spike.

When Perrins camps was locked in by a dream spike, gateways worked within the boarders of the dome, but not going outside or inside.

Perrin used this to escape the whitecloaks.

Now gateways don't work inside a dreamspike dome at all?

WHY?

Gateways never worked within the border of the dome, even in TOM. Perrin could 'shift' within the dome in the dream world, but he couldn't 'shift' outside of it. But in the real world, gateways didn't work at all.

This one was found by Herid (I can't claim any credit):

Chapter 4

p. 131 TOR Edition:

"He cannot hear what we say?"

"No," Pevara said.

This would seem to be fairly unambiguously a lie.

to answer question can he ... with "No" means he can not

to answer question he cannot  ... with "No" means... sorry but this one is a grammar lie that seems perfectly allowable by the three oaths...

I didn't understand why Nynaeve was able to channel right after coming out of the Pit of Doom. She tried to Heal Rand and Moridin, she did Heal Faile. Shouldn't she have been too tired to do so?

Dark lord sealed again by then... the question is more relevant while they link with Rand while in the Pit.

Her answer was "no"

"No he cannot hear us".

"Yes he cannot hear us".

3 is not plausible.  The man had multiple things demanding his attention particularly when Leanne was found... All that Demandred would sense would be goose bumps which he should have in spades from all the Sharans around him chanelling.

Doing my re read.Went thro the first time like a rocket :)

Page 140.Rescue of Logain, Pervara embraces source but it does not alert the Ashaman Coteren. IIRC women need to only embrace source and not weave for the men to feel goosebumps.

Page 150:- Egwene:- "I am going to throttle that boy" Speaking about the Dragon. Now Rand is older than Egwene in 3rd age years and hundreds of years older in experience when counting the LTT lifetime while Egwene is a 20 year old girl. If the writers wanted to make her head even bigger from ego this was a good word to use,but I think they just made a mistake and put in boy instead of man.

Her answer was "no"

"No he cannot hear us".

"Yes he cannot hear us".

3 is not plausible.  The man had multiple things demanding his attention particularly when Leanne was found... All that Demandred would sense would be goose bumps which he should have in spades from all the Sharans around him chanelling.

There were female Ayyad there too, who were all looking for more channeling. They were shown to strike immediately and without mercy just before. And they found Leane too, and she was further away.

Page 150:- Egwene:- "I am going to throttle that boy" Speaking about the Dragon. Now Rand is older than Egwene in 3rd age years and hundreds of years older in experience when counting the LTT lifetime while Egwene is a 20 year old girl. If the writers wanted to make her head even bigger from ego this was a good word to use,but I think they just made a mistake and put in boy instead of man.

This is common throughout the books. Plus, Egwene seems to believe that Rand's new memories are manifestations of madness, not really LTT. We see Cads and Moiraine calling him "boy" too, only to his face so they can get slapped down.

Archived