DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Prologue Through to the End of the Epilogue--Full Book Discussion.

Luckers

Of course it still makes for a good story, we don't know HOW Rand was going to seal the DO up before now.  Or all the other details that make up the pattern.

Claiming that this turning isn't special makes the story not high stakes or not important is right up there with making that type of claim because you knew the good guy would win.

In a sense, the ending was always known, it's the details that make the story.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@oxylus

It really couldn't have gone any other way. RJ and the major themes in the text were pretty clear all along that this was merely "a last battle" for this turning not "the last battle".

Interview: May, 2001

Question
At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?
Robert Jordan
"No...every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this age any different from any other turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless."
SORILEA
This leads me to believe that this will not be the LAST BATTLE ever. It probably just comes about every turning of the Wheel, and since it has been such a long time ago, no one ever remembers it.

The only thing that stops that is if the DO wins. Regardless we have no idea how the previous turnings went and we know details do change over time(even if the broad brush strokes are similar). The wheel is endless indeed.

Logain had his moment of glory in the view of the normal people when he rescued all the woman and children from being eaten by Trollocs. It was not heroic from our point of view, since he did not want to go, and he probably killed the Trollocs easily, - but for the people this one action by him was viewed as the most heroic of the Last Battle.

For me, the breaking (or forming, I suppose) moment for him was when the young mother of a baby that he saved said that she would send him to the Black Tower for testing when he was of age.  To see if the had the talent.  In Logain's toughts:

"The talent.  Not the curse.  The talent."

As a point of clarification, Annoura doesn't die.  She is burned out because she channels to make a Gateway to rescue Galad for Berelain. 

While many Aes Sedai do lose the will to live after being burned out or even stilled, this is far from a guarantee.  Setaelle Anan, Siuan, Leane, and others come immediately to mind.  If a woman can replace the One Power with something equally she loves almost equally (whether husband, cause, etc) then she will live.  The same hope extends to Annoura and we are of course not told how that will play out.

As well, we are never told the fate of Agelmar.  Last we see him, Lan prevents him from committing suicide.  While he can't command, he's capable of holding a sword and like Bashere and Bryne can still fight like a regular soldier.  His survival or death is not addressed so we are free to speculate there as well.

Setaelle Anan was alive last we saw here but she could very well be dead after Faile departs on Bela to go after the Horn. 

Many minor characters' ultimate fates are not spelled out and unless we see a death "on-screen" so to speak there's every chance that they are still alive.

I have a question about the wolves. Did they fight?

Yes, they counteract the Last Hunt.  

Hmmm.  I believe the WOLVES are part of the Last Hunt.  They counteract the Dark Hounds which form the WILD Hunt.  At least that's what I remember.

As an ever-persistant Eggy fan, I enjoyed her in the book. She was a tad bitchy at the beginning and I was a tiny bit expecting rand to pull his sword out at her in the tent. But over-all, I don't see what you all have such a problem with her for. 

The only couple of issues I had with the book was a horrible lack of Nyn pov's, (which, i assume was there to maintain a surprise ending type of feel) and Shara. I mean. I knew it was probably going to happen when Roedran was weeded out....but it just felt red herringish. Demandred also conjured an image of like. Godzilla. Flailing around shooting fire breath and screeching. Was kind of awesome though. Also, he took care of my problems. Gawyn and Galad needed a butt whoopin. 

Honestly though, looking back - nothing but great things to say about the book though really. Been waiting a long time for that. 

Guest PiotrekS
I'm dying to know just how the All-Mother harangues everyone into following her lead at FoM....

Personally I thought the FoM showdown between her and Rand gave pretty strong evidence that Halima had used Compulsion to turn Egwene against the Dragon.  Besides there being a line that referenced her headaches and Halima just prior to the meeting, Egwene is unreasonable and obstinate far beyond reason; and as much as I dislike Egwene she is not unreasonable by any stretch normally.  Her demands and expectations are absurd, she is unfailingly contrary no matter what he says and there are a lot of indications that Rand's nature as the Dragon is lost upon her (she thinks his effect on the land and making things grow is a trick of some sorts for example).  It has been a theory I found pretty solid for awhile now and I think this book bore it out.  

Egwene was not unreasonable. No more so than Rand. They each had half of the puzzle. Rand was right, the Seals had to be broken before the DO could be taken care of. Egwene was right in that it was her responsibility to break them, and find the exact time to do so. Which is pretty much what Moiraine enforced. As for killing the Dark One, Rand was dead wrong there, and Egwene was right to fear that plan. She was also right in pointing out that Rand could hardly command the armies from Shayol Ghul.

If Egwene had simply acceded to Rand's wishes, everything would have been lost. The reverse is true as well.

Well, the balance is the main theme of the series after all, even if equal inputs from Egwene and Rand make no sense considering their personal histories.

I assume you're commenting on Egwene's attitude in AMoL, which changed fundamentally from ToM. In ToM she was vehemently opposed to breaking the Seals, calling the very idea madness.

I'm dying to know just how the All-Mother harangues everyone into following her lead at FoM....

Personally I thought the FoM showdown between her and Rand gave pretty strong evidence that Halima had used Compulsion to turn Egwene against the Dragon.  Besides there being a line that referenced her headaches and Halima just prior to the meeting, Egwene is unreasonable and obstinate far beyond reason; and as much as I dislike Egwene she is not unreasonable by any stretch normally.  Her demands and expectations are absurd, she is unfailingly contrary no matter what he says and there are a lot of indications that Rand's nature as the Dragon is lost upon her (she thinks his effect on the land and making things grow is a trick of some sorts for example).  It has been a theory I found pretty solid for awhile now and I think this book bore it out.  

Egwene was not unreasonable. No more so than Rand. They each had half of the puzzle. Rand was right, the Seals had to be broken before the DO could be taken care of. Egwene was right in that it was her responsibility to break them, and find the exact time to do so. Which is pretty much what Moiraine enforced. As for killing the Dark One, Rand was dead wrong there, and Egwene was right to fear that plan. She was also right in pointing out that Rand could hardly command the armies from Shayol Ghul.

If Egwene had simply acceded to Rand's wishes, everything would have been lost. The reverse is true as well.

Egwene had the same portion of the puzzle she has always had, which is exactly 0. Of course this is my opinion, but I fear its little more  than the usual "Listen to me, because (a) I am the All-Mother, and (b) I will turn out to have been right all along, because in this universe only females can be ever be right, in order to promote their mystical wisdom"

So essentially your argument boils down to the same old, "I hate this character. So if she does anything right in the books, its because the authors made her a Mary-Sue so I can't hate her in peace"?

Well, the balance is the main theme of the series after all, even if equal inputs from Egwene and Rand make no sense considering their personal histories.

I assume you're commenting on Egwene's attitude in AMoL, which changed fundamentally from ToM. In ToM she was vehemently opposed to breaking the Seals, calling the very idea madness.

Yeah, her ToM position was simply Brandon not thinking ahead.

As for them having equal input, their personal histories are filled with similarities. They're meant to be mirror/parallel characters, and that's been established for a long time now. If you look at their interaction here, its very clear what Brandon was going for: its like saidin and saidar. They work together, but also in opposition. That's why we got totally nincompoop scenes like Rand accusing Egwene of wanting the taint back to suppress male channelers, and Egwene accusing Rand of trying to treat her like a village girl. They get each other, but they also rub each other raw... in the process the Pattern survives, is healed of the rifts created in it, and has a dark intruder kicked out.

While I had issues with Brandon's specific handling of some scenes, on the whole I was very pleased with how he was able to carry on with the Rand-Egwene parallels. I only wish their tGS storyline and aMoL storyline were in one book. Would have been much more powerful. 

Egwene had the same portion of the puzzle she has always had, which is exactly 0. Of course this is my opinion, but I fear its little more  than the usual "Listen to me, because (a) I am the All-Mother, and (b) I will turn out to have been right all along, because in this universe only females can be ever be right, in order to promote their mystical wisdom"

So essentially your argument boils down to the same old, "I hate this character. So if she does anything right in the books, its because the authors made her a Mary-Sue so I can't hate her in peace"?

As for them having equal input, their personal histories are filled with similarities. They're meant to be mirror/parallel characters, and that's been established for a long time now. If you look at their interaction here, its very clear what Brandon was going for: its like saidin and saidar. They work together, but also in opposition. That's why we got totally nincompoop scenes like Rand accusing Egwene of wanting the taint back to suppress male channelers, and Egwene accusing Rand of trying to treat her like a village girl. They get each other, but they also rub each other raw... in the process the Pattern survives, is healed of the rifts created in it, and has a dark intruder kicked out.

While I had issues with Brandon's specific handling of some scenes, on the whole I was very pleased with how he was able to carry on with the Rand-Egwene parallels. I only wish their tGS storyline and aMoL storyline were in one book. Would have been much more powerful. 

Guest PiotrekS

I agree, that's what it should be. I don't think the parallels were well established in the series though. It's a little bit of wishful thinking to see it that way, because the text itself doesn't support it until maybe KoD and definitely TGS.But that's a discussion for another thread.

There is no parallel between Rand and Egwene.Rand is a special soul,Egwene one of the powerful leaders of the world.The cyrrent president of the US.is not equal to Jesus.Another president will come after some years,but there will only be one Jesus.

As for FOM,Egwene wrong in every count.First she did not want the seal brokens.Wrong.Then she wanted responsibility for them.If so she should have gathered them herself and not want Rand to give to her.Rand never wanted control of the armies,he says so in TOM itself.Egwene had no half of the puzzle,she knew nothing about sealing the DO or about fighting the last battle.Village girl stays village girl till the end.

In the spirit of what I posted above, so what is the speculation on what Rand is going to do? 

Sure it's a given that he'll take some time to see the world, enjoy himself, finally live the simple life that someone his chronological age should be given the chance to.

But we know for a fact that Elayne, Min, and Avi know he is alive and where he is going.  The bond is still there.  So what?  Is Rand going to be getting regular booty call visits from his harem in rotation?  Combination?

It's strongly implicated.

Eventually, isn't he going to want to be more of a father figure?  Elayne's kids are going to be born soon right?  Isn't he going to eventually get Avi and Min with child too?

I can't imagine him being an absentee father roaming the world like Jain Farstrider while his SO's do all the work of raising his kids.

And when/if he presumably returns, that's not going to raise  a few eyebrows?   Everyone in the world knows Elayne, Min, and Avi are the consorts of the Dragon Reborn.  When they get with child and the same guy shows up around each of them, that's not going to lead to some questions?  Nynaeve already suspects.  Cadsuane already knows.

You don't think Thom can figure out after about 8 seconds with Rand? 

Rand is going to seriously leave his friends like Mat and Perrin in the dark??   Moriaine?   His own FATHER?  

I think eventually a lot more people are going to know he's back. 

didnt rj mention about two sets of outrigger trillogys or atleast set of books, one of them being about matt and tuon, but wouldnt say what the other set was to be?  I do believe I remember reading about that from one of his interviews or book signings.... guess we now know what the 2nd outrigger was to be about  now then.

Rand would simply have to much to answer for right now if he was *still alive*.

Sure I'm with you on that.  I know for the next few months or even year or so he'll be invisible but EVENTUALLY he's going to come back right?  I don't see how you can logically not do it.

And coming back will havea helluva lot of implications.  Even without any ability to channel and not being ta'veren anymore he is still the SAVIOR OF THE WORLD.  Imagine if Jesus was just hanging around our world.

I just find it interesting to think through some of the implications.

Without any ability to channel - BUT - how did he light his pipe?

Ah I was not aware that RJ said that this particular turning was not special. I'm quite surprised at that. Doesn't that make the whole thing for naught? I agree that it's fitting philosophically and perhaps aesthetically, but it doesn't really make for a high stakes story.

I took RJ's words to mean: This turning of the wheel isn't specifically marked as "The LAST battle"...but that doesn't mean it won't be due to the outcome (the DO winning).

Thread title says full spoilers so its all appropiate

Of course.  I just feel sorry for those poor desperate fools who can't resist and click that mouse button almost against their wills.  Their eyes will be seared from their skull!!!

I realize this was 6 days ago but it's the 8th, I'm at work, can't download an e-book and I'm a poor desperate fool who can't resist!!

So what happened when Alanna disappeared in ToM? Was she captured by DF or left for her own reason and if so why. If she was captured was it in order to kill her (in order to make Rand go into rage at the exact moment) or to compel or convert her?

Also, what about Perrin's Asha'man - Grady and Neald? Did they make it out OK or get killed and/or converted? What about Grady's family?

We have no idea what happened to Alanna other than she appears at the end at Shayol Ghul dying of a knife wound with the intent being to have her death interfere with Rand fighting the DO.  We can only make assumptions as to how she got there and what happened to her.

I dont remember what happened to Grady or Neald honestly, but they are at least present throughout parts of the story.  I completely forget if they die or live or what.  I dont think that Grady's family is mentioned at all.

When you read this thing make sure you're reading to enjoy the story and the ending; if you're caught up in plot resolutions and prophecies then you will be extremely disappointed.  Get caught up in the moments of the Last Batle and you will enjoy it tremendously (at least I did, which is rare with the new author).  Lots of plots are resolved and lots of information is given, but it is done in a very unsatisfactorily way many times.  Take the Alanna plot for an example.  A minor character throughout the series, but one with a potentially major plot device.  And then she is turned into a major cliffhanger and mystery in ToM.  The way it was resolved felt like a "oops, forgot about Alanna let me just dump her in here real fast".  She just shows up on one two pages of the book dying of a knife wound and we have no idea how she got there or what happened to her.  It was very unsatisfying.  There are a lot of plot points tied up in a similar manner.

Siuan dies. Leane almost dies but just about survives a direct meeting with Demandred. Beldeine and her Asha'man, Karldin, die together on the battlefield. I thought Yukiri was toast when Mat's command tent was attacked as she disappears in the resulting chaos, but reappears at the end as one of the Aes Sedai 'recruiting' Cadsuane as Amyrlin.

Siuan and Bryne were also in the command tent. They all reappear at the same time, in the beginning of the next chapter.

Sarene is Compelled by Graendal and appears to be dead (she's last seen collapsing with 'glassy eyes' as Cadsuane blows the living crap out of the area around Graendal).

I figured Sarene survived since she was supposed to have a passionate love affair with someone, according to Min. I suppose it could have happened offscreen at some point.

r />

"Images and auras; a tempestuous love affair, of all things! The woman was ice, however beautiful. And there was nothing useful in knowing some man would melt her!" -TPoD

She probably had an affair with her Warder.

Sarene's secret vice was poetry, though she would never have let anyone know she could be interested in something so... emotional. She would have died of shame had Vitalien, her Warder, ever discovered that she had written lines comparing him to a leopard, among other graceful, powerful and dangerous animals.

I'm pretty sure that Alivia is the one holding Rand after he seals the bore.

Negative. The woman holding Rand is wearing Aiel garb and is very old (i.e. she looks really really old, which Alivia does not). She matches description of Nakomi in ToM.

She also fits with the descriptions of Sorilea and Bair.

The 'Creator avatar' thing is still the most likely possibility...

Why would you think that? I don't think it's likely at all, especially considering RJ's confirmation that the Creator does not interfere. The voice, lame as it is, doesn't contradict that, but Nakomi certainly would.

Someone asked Brandon if Nakomi was a Jenn Aiel, and he said they were on the right track.

god thats so annoying that he answers the nakomi question like that.  now that the series is over, it is evident that she is not jenn aiel.  and if she was jenn aiel then it is flat out ridiculous and we have zero clues - only wild speculation.  a major failing on his part if she was supposed to be jenn aiel because we were not given anything to help lead us to that conclusion.  the creator bit about her is the only thing that fits well in the story we were given.  and even that contradicts RJs own personal statements.

if all of the nakomi appearances turned out to be RJ then I still feel it was a major flub.  we needed at least SOMETHING to point us in the direction that the jenn aiel could still exist or became some magical people or something to help explain nakomi in some way, shape, or form.  otherwise we are literally left with no reasonable assumptions other than to just make something up entirely or assume shes the creator.

Well that last bit from brandon seems to confirm it for me. Nakomi is a hero of the horn. The meeting with Avi was in TAR....which would explain the weird occurrences (such as the food being finished very quickly and it tasting great, and Nakomi's possessions being gone).   Moreover, given that Avi laid down to rest beforehand makes it a bit obvious imo.

I think it's a subtle reveal with the heroes being about when Rand emerged from the Cave. I imagine for RJ, these things should be "obvious to the casual observer" or w/e he said about Asmo's killer. 

She can't possibly be any of the Aiel women we have seen already because I don't think Rand knows who she is.  I haven't read the book, but it seems to me that he didn't recognize her.

The creator doesn't interfere (and I think the voice is sufficient) but having Nakomi is a bit much.

thats a pretty good idea...but it just feels a bit off.  if she was supposed to be a hero of the horn then why werent we given a tiny hint somewhere that we could use to reasonably assume that?  it just seems like a pretty big mystery to throw in at very end and leave unresolved.  most annoying is brandon's comments leading us to believe that it CAN and will be figured out.  if its meant to be a mystery thats fine...its an ending mystery.  but dont set it up and talk about it like its something we can figure out.

Archived